Trap Ranger needs more love!

in Ranger

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

Okay sorry I’m just tired and it’s kittening hot in my apartment.

But for real. I’ve been playing this game since it launched. I have been maining a Ranger for almost that entire time, playing a condi trap build. I love my ranger, she’s awesome and I never would have traded her up for a better class. Ranger has always seemed to get the shorter end of the stick it seems in this game, when I used to do a lot of PvE I had to deal with everyone not wanting Rangers for dungeons. Then I joined WvW and had to deal with all the jokes and crap there. But y’know what Anet? I didn’t care. I liked my ranger, it was fun, and I understood how to play it and it worked for me.

And in recent times I was excited to see that Ranger seemed to finally be getting some love and was starting to have more viability in the game. But now what the kitten is this? What was the logic behind removing ground-targeting for traps? It’s not like that was even the DEFAULT for traps- you had to trait for that, so why mess with it? Just leave it as a trait, I don’t care. I mean you make these Trapper Runes, get anyone who actually played a trap ranger to switch over to them, and now you start nerfing our traps? And why are you nerfing this build anyway? I’m pretty sure most people can agree the most powerful Ranger build has been the buffed LB power ranger, where everyone complains about how LB Ranger can just stand really far away, click 2 and kill you with no effort. So why nerf the trap build? Who the hell was complaining “omg ranger traps so op pls nerf”. And why nerf Ranger AT ALL right now anyway? Ranger has never even been considered op or whatever, especially not condi ranger. I mean do you realize that people used to ACTIVELY not want Rangers? That’s different from disliking Rangers. That’s people saying “no you can’t join our dungeon/skill group on a Ranger. Go switch characters”. Is that what you’re trying to bring us back to? I just don’t understand you’re logic at all and I would just really appreciate it if you could stop trying to break my class.

-Signed, Someone who has been playing since 3-Day Headstart and is still deciding if investing in the Expansion is even worth it.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

WoW, all this hate just because your trapper rune build(which was kinda imba BTW) got small nerf if any? Traps are much stronger now, lots of ppl like the change. HS is very buggy ATM you so cant judge the full trapper build yet.

Relax dud, I strongly advice you to change to topic, its very childish.

in Ranger

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

I don’t think ground-targeting was as required for traps to be useful, but we’ll see. It had already moved out of the metas even with ground-targeting.

I’m still on the fence about whether or not the traps are better/worse/same. I need more time to playtest and a newborn doesn’t help with that.

As far as deciding to invest in the expansion … I have to admit I’m there with you. Been around since beta and I’m still seeing some odd things … most recently the nerf to Mesmer MtD before even a full day of playtesting. I see things that look far more egregious than MtD not get the same treatment.

I mean a trap ranger loses mobility now. You can’t throw traps right on someone, you can’t use traps on walls…And it’s weird that they would do this when they made those Trapper Runes that give you stealth after placing a trap. I’m honestly sad about that because I had been away from the game due to RL stuff for several months, and I just got the Trapper Runes a couple weeks ago. Now I’m thinking maybe I should go back to my old runes.

I mean the traps might still be useful as they are now, but when you’ve been playing a trap build for so long, it’s going to take me a while to adjust to this which sucks because I mostly play WvW anymore. And mobility is important in WvW…I also simply just don’t understand why they changed it. It’s not like trap ranger was ever a super OP build, so why nerf it? Especially when they’re buffing condis right now, why mess around with a fun condi build that didn’t need to be nerfed? Is the only reason to be more like GW1 or be more “realistic” about the traps? Because when you have people who have been playing that build for years, I’m just going to say that’s stupid. Plus, making Traps ground-targetable WAS a Trait before. It was a choice you had to make if you wanted it or not, so why not just leave it as a trait? What is the point in completely removing that function from the game?

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

in Ranger

Posted by: nEmM.3076

nEmM.3076

There was something wrong with the fact you could throw “traps” in the first place. They were just grenades at that point. These are now actual traps you have to set down and predict enemy position. Ground targeting should never have been a thing.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ashkew.6584

Ashkew.6584

Calm down and adept, take some time to get used to everything before making a topic “anet i hate you”.
I mean i understand the feeling, my old build is not working well too and i was kinda sad, but i enjoyed tweaking and coming up with a new and maybe better one. So take a look at what you have available instead of what you lost and it might make you feel better.

Good luck

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

WoW, all this hate just because your trapper rune build(which was kinda imba BTW) got small nerf if any? Traps are much stronger now, lots of ppl like the change. HS is very buggy ATM you so cant judge the full trapper build yet.

There is not a small nerf. It is much stronger than before. The only disadvantage is, you can’t hit people on the wall.

The knockdown on the spike trap alone is the best thing against the ever blinking, teleporting, stealthing or jump-attacking classes. :-)

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: Finalfreefall.8247

Finalfreefall.8247

What Alek said, we also got buffed hard in pet microing and can boost teammates better than eles now. Rangers are in a way better spot overall.

(edited by Finalfreefall.8247)

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Okay sorry I’m just tired and it’s kittening hot in my apartment.

But for real. I’ve been playing this game since it launched. I have been maining a Ranger for almost that entire time, playing a condi trap build. I love my ranger, she’s awesome and I never would have traded her up for a better class. Ranger has always seemed to get the shorter end of the stick it seems in this game, when I used to do a lot of PvE I had to deal with everyone not wanting Rangers for dungeons. Then I joined WvW and had to deal with all the jokes and crap there. But y’know what Anet? I didn’t care. I liked my ranger, it was fun, and I understood how to play it and it worked for me.

And in recent times I was excited to see that Ranger seemed to finally be getting some love and was starting to have more viability in the game. But now what the kitten is this? What was the logic behind removing ground-targeting for traps? It’s not like that was even the DEFAULT for traps- you had to trait for that, so why mess with it? Just leave it as a trait, I don’t care. I mean you make these Trapper Runes, get anyone who actually played a trap ranger to switch over to them, and now you start nerfing our traps? And why are you nerfing this build anyway? I’m pretty sure most people can agree the most powerful Ranger build has been the buffed LB power ranger, where everyone complains about how LB Ranger can just stand really far away, click 2 and kill you with no effort. So why nerf the trap build? Who the hell was complaining “omg ranger traps so op pls nerf”. And why nerf Ranger AT ALL right now anyway? Ranger has never even been considered op or whatever, especially not condi ranger. I mean do you realize that people used to ACTIVELY not want Rangers? That’s different from disliking Rangers. That’s people saying “no you can’t join our dungeon/skill group on a Ranger. Go switch characters”. Is that what you’re trying to bring us back to? I just don’t understand you’re logic at all and I would just really appreciate it if you could stop trying to break my class.

-Signed, Someone who has been playing since 3-Day Headstart and is still deciding if investing in the Expansion is even worth it.

There are so many postings about how they ruined traps that I have to believe that Anet truly didn’t listen to us at all and did exactly the opposite of any past discussion with devs.

1. Not being able to throw

2. Unworkable cooldowns

3. Taking stats away from traps

4. Why have traps at all if we can’t use them to stop OP and almost unbeatable foes who had buffs from this patch that we do not have a mitigation for?

“Play How You Want To” is the biggest lie ever told by an MMO.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

He’s not a “dud”, why can’t you at least check your post before you leave it for public viewing?

Traps saved me from many foes, now they can’t.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: Aarod Cutshot.6419

Aarod Cutshot.6419

Just played it wasnt to bad Used the bleeding trap with the flame not as good as the other but still worked with double axe and long bow

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

Calm down and adept, take some time to get used to everything before making a topic “anet i hate you”.
I mean i understand the feeling, my old build is not working well too and i was kinda sad, but i enjoyed tweaking and coming up with a new and maybe better one. So take a look at what you have available instead of what you lost and it might make you feel better.

Good luck

You understand the feeling…
Did your old build get completely broken?

btw, it’s adapt, not adept.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

My trapper build get not broken. It was just improved.

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

There was something wrong with the fact you could throw “traps” in the first place. They were just grenades at that point. These are now actual traps you have to set down and predict enemy position. Ground targeting should never have been a thing.

Who says there was something wrong with being able to throw traps?

You could trait for it.

So according to you…..

Did you even run the build?

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Who says there was something wrong with being able to throw traps?

You could trait for it.

So according to you…..

Did you even run the build?

Logic says there is something wrong with being able to throw traps. However, I will say that A-net buffed traps for having a new activation time, imo they should have buffed traps further to make up for lack of placement ability.

NSPride <3

in Ranger

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

They need to swap Strider’s Defense with the trap trait. Really dont like choosing between that and sharpened edges (I want to take both)