Anet, I'm begging you to fix the Ranger sword

in Ranger

Posted by: Altephor.9564

Altephor.9564

The Ranger sword is part of the ‘meta’ build. It’s the highest DPS potential for Ranger. Yet, almost every Ranger I’ve seen, including myself, hates to use it because of the godawful rooting animation for the auto-attack.

I don’t understand why this hasn’t been addressed by now. It’s not conducive to fluid combat, it hurts the class (figuratively and literally, love when it tosses me off a cliff), and it doesn’t fit the theme of the ranger sword, which is a lot of mobility. The 2 and 3 skill are both a kind of ‘stick-and-move’ type of attack, yet the main attack keeps you stuck in place, forcing you to be front and center. This also negates the flanking and moving traits in the skirmishing line.

How many gems do I need to buy for you to dedicate someone to fixing this? I am begging here. Especially since I just bought the gallant sword (great skins!) and would really love to use it but the horrendous animation makes me never want to use it in combat.

in Ranger

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

Seconded. I’d also like for skill 2’s leaps to happen sooner rather than later. As it is, I think they’re glitching out half the time because the hesitations make them feel so unresponsive.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Unable-to-dodge-correctly-using-sword/first#post4575922

^ a way to get around the root problem that cause your 2 and 3 unresponsive. It basically make the 1 auto attack on demand only, upon pressing. It also reduce the likely hood that you’ll get thrown off the ledge since you can stop your auto attack instantly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

de-targeting changes a lot the skills 2,3 become much more useable and you don’t have to jump- back directly away from the target you can de-target Angle yourself and go a different way.

the sword maybe the highest dps weapon we have right now because of its unique play style it allows and honestly its one of the highest skill floor weapons to control in the game.

a lot of the experienced sword users find no issues in using it , only those that can’t see past the rooting have issues.

go into the mists and practice like the rest of us , practice the De-target jumps and roll timing you have to remember Ranger maybe able to use Melee weapons and do good with them but at the core they are skill a Skirmish class so things won’t be instant as you’d want them to be.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

ANet, I’m begging you do not change the sword.

Just make Dodging and skills #2,3 break the animation of the AA.

In the meantime… Turn off the AA toggle and practise.

in Ranger

Posted by: Altephor.9564

Altephor.9564

de-targeting changes a lot the skills 2,3 become much more useable and you don’t have to jump- back directly away from the target you can de-target Angle yourself and go a different way.

the sword maybe the highest dps weapon we have right now because of its unique play style it allows and honestly its one of the highest skill floor weapons to control in the game.

a lot of the experienced sword users find no issues in using it , only those that can’t see past the rooting have issues.

go into the mists and practice like the rest of us , practice the De-target jumps and roll timing you have to remember Ranger maybe able to use Melee weapons and do good with them but at the core they are skill a Skirmish class so things won’t be instant as you’d want them to be.

You can use the ‘mad because bad’ argument all you want, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a kittenty animation. So, I’m glad you’re a such a superior player and all that, congratulations, but it’s still clunky and unresponsive.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

You can use the ‘mad because bad’ argument all you want, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a kittenty animation. So, I’m glad you’re a such a superior player and all that, congratulations, but it’s still clunky and unresponsive.

its been the same for 3 years and anet have seen no reason to change it if you don’t like the weapon use a greatsword instead , i will not have this unique weapon turned into some kind of half – dagger which only AA’s .

if you find it annoying for PvE use don’t use it.

in Ranger

Posted by: RevanCorana.8942

RevanCorana.8942

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Unable-to-dodge-correctly-using-sword/first#post4575922

^ a way to get around the root problem that cause your 2 and 3 unresponsive. It basically make the 1 auto attack on demand only, upon pressing. It also reduce the likely hood that you’ll get thrown off the ledge since you can stop your auto attack instantly.

Wow this is awesome thanks

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

I’m curious how such braindead game mode as PvE is can cause so much frustration with a weapon that is relatively easy to handle with some practice.

The real problem with the sword isn’t even the weapon itself, it is the fact that it is our only melee mainhand weapon.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

I’m curious how such braindead game mode as PvE is can cause so much frustration with a weapon that is relatively easy to handle with some practice.

The real problem with the sword isn’t even the weapon itself, it is the fact that it is our only melee mainhand weapon.

PvE isn’t braindead. PvE is old. You are not dying in PvE because you know when to dodge. If you can’t dodge, you still die.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

Wow this is awesome thanks

The sword just takes some know-how and practice and I really hope they don’t change it. follow the steps outlined in that post and that’s how you get started learning how to work around the leap.

btw: that leap is pure gold in pvp

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

PvE isn’t braindead. PvE is old. You are not dying in PvE because you know when to dodge. If you can’t dodge, you still die.

Oh! You totaly convinced me. Learning those attack patterns was a seriously difficult task, ay? Must be why they didn’t stick with those outdated mechanics for the new expansion.

PvE is old. And it got old way too fast. There is a reason for that.

in Ranger

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

As someone who mains a Ranger I just gotta say all three skills are great just the way they are. It’s learning how to make use of all three skills together that seems to throw players off.

Oh, and I have Auto Attack enabled and use skill #2 as my Dodge. As others have already said it takes a little practice to get into the groove but at this point I’d be a little annoyed if they did change anything.

After a little learning curve it works better than “as intended.” The three skills work really really well together.

(edited by MFoy.3284)

in Ranger

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

In the meantime… Turn off the AA toggle and practise.

/endbread

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

This.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

I don’t understand why this hasn’t been addressed by now.

It has been addressed though. I can’t be bothered digging up the thread but basically JP came in here and said he was looking into it. What he meant is he was monitoring the Ranger community discussion/outcry/whatever. Generally PvP-ers like it and PvE-ers dislike it, and since the game is balanced around PvP…I’d start getting used to it if I were you.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Ranger

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I saw something from an anet dev a while ago the sword auto attack works as intended so nothing will be fixed as this is how they want it to work.

Me personally I use a dagger so I have 3 skills that work as an evade sense I can not dodge.