Anet is killing the ranged ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tako.7894

Tako.7894

ANet has realized that the ranged ranger is causing to manny problems for them. A ranged ranger needs to really more on a working pet. While the pet is broken and no one at ANet can fixe it for what reasons ever, I heard a lot of them, ANet is going to erase the ranged ranger from the game. What will be left owner is a crippled warrior ranger. In mele 1v1 or 2v2 the ranger and his pet do work somehow. And since GW2 is balanced around 1v1 and 2v2 there is nothing for ANet and ncsoft to complain about. In WvW the ranger is useless. The thief has a better short-bow and the warr has a better longbow.
What a joke. The balancing team is so helpless with the Ranger that they even asked the big boss of MMO gaming inherent industries to help them. The answer was as simple as it could be: Fixe the pat ore change its mechanics and give mor support skills to the ranged weapons of the Ranger.
But the most funny moment I had when the balancing team was asked why a namely ranged class like the Ranger is best played mele. Guess what, they couldn’t give an answer to this.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tear.3617

Tear.3617

“The thief has a better short-bow and the warr has a better longbow.” it’s funny cause it’s true.

in Ranger

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

almost wish they could switch the LB skills between rangers and warriors, then at least we’d have something that can do some damage

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Ranger

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Get rid of the shortbow all together and just merge the 2 bows together. Give the LB the Sb’s firing speed and condition application.

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

“The thief has a better short-bow and the warr has a better longbow.” it’s funny cause it’s true.

The Warrior Longbow? Absolutely. The Thief Shortbow? I laugh in your general direction. Barely any damage to the thief shortbow. #1 ricochets, #2 just explodes or can go into multiple explosions, #3 is the same as Ranger SB #3, #4 is just a poison field, and #5 just lets you teleport a distance. It’s crap compared to the Ranger SB in terms of damage.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: Shirk.6421

Shirk.6421

The Warrior Longbow? Absolutely. The Thief Shortbow? I laugh in your general direction. Barely any damage to the thief shortbow. #1 ricochets, #2 just explodes or can go into multiple explosions, #3 is the same as Ranger SB #3, #4 is just a poison field, and #5 just lets you teleport a distance. It’s crap compared to the Ranger SB in terms of damage.

A weapon doesn’t have to be a pure dps weapon to be good. The shortbow offers nice movement, poision fields and blast finishers. It’s a gimmicky AoE weapon.

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The thief has a better shortbow and warrior a better longbow because neither of those classes has a pet. It’s not a great exchange but theoretically if you want some immobilize, say, you can choose a pet with immobilize and don’t need to look through the bags for a bow weapon with an immobilize skill. Having said that, both those two weapons are comparatively well designed and generally fit for purpose so the ranger versions could get a bit more utility to bring them up to that standard.

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

in Ranger

Posted by: mzt.3270

mzt.3270

Get rid of the shortbow all together and just merge the 2 bows together. Give the LB the Sb’s firing speed and condition application.

Yes, the problem with both these bows is the fact they are so woefully under performing when it has been proved the thief and warrior short and longbow skills are far superior than for the ranger. Anet should either just delete the class if it cannot make it fully competitive with the meta or give it the tools to do so. If they wish to delete it then give players who have fully created rangers the time to salvage armor and give them a decent compensation in the form of tomes to level a new character and maybe a few chests with items to replace lost armor.
If its not fixable as they say the class is, it would be the most logical thing to do

Happiness is finding an Omnomberry in your Grumble Cake

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

Well, if it makes you feel any better, they put a pretty hard Nerf on the Ranger LB this last patch. Still worlds better than the Ranger LB, but not as great a chasm as it once was.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in Ranger

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Ranged Ranger was never good (unless the only thing you like to play is PvE overworld or boring backline zerging in WvW).

Ranged combat is all about the ability to defend/kite against gap closers, but Ranger is third-rate when it comes to that (Mesmer/Warrior/Thief, hell even Staff Eles can kite better than a Ranger).

(edited by roamzero.9486)

in Ranger

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

With Respect:

The main problems of ranged rangers (hard to believe you have to even specify) is that the game’s fundamental design doesn’t allow for ranged combat — at all. AI gets wonky and most ranged weapons have been relegated to off hands at best because of the universal truth that the game designers either don’t want ranged combat, or are too afraid of what it might mean.

Not only that though, but we are forced to spec heavily into traits to even make bows worth using at all.

I used to think that trait consolidation would do it, but experiencing which way they seem to want to take group encounters and overall design, I’m afraid there’s simply no real room for any meaningful ranged combat without some serious encounter revamping going forward.

Something they are either too out of touch with to comment on and fix, or too ignorant to accept.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

(edited by Miflett.3472)

in Ranger

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

A weapon doesn’t have to be a pure dps weapon to be good. The shortbow offers nice movement, poision fields and blast finishers. It’s a gimmicky AoE weapon.

What…

Ranger short bow has poison, cripple, dodge, stun/daze, bleeds without needing to crit and a fast attack speed.

As to the OP, one of my rangers is strait up longbow and aze/warhorn for zerging running PVT/Valk gear 30/30/0/0/10 traits and using those traits I have piercing arrows and opening strike refreshed every kill, opening strike 100% crit chance with 90% crit damage at 3600-4400 attack depending on might and bloodlust stacks.

Also ontop of that build with sigils of force, flanking traits and the 20 vuln that can be applied just with rapid fire (opening strike stacks 5….that is refreshed when someone goes down) all up im looking at +60% extra damage.

I think people need to learn builds a bit more, even after a year of ranger and the recent patch I can now self stack 24 might but that’s by using the right traits, sigils and runes.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

What…

Ranger short bow has poison, cripple, dodge, stun/daze, bleeds without needing to crit and a fast attack speed.

As to the OP, one of my rangers is strait up longbow and aze/warhorn for zerging running PVT/Valk gear 30/30/0/0/10 traits and using those traits I have piercing arrows and opening strike refreshed every kill, opening strike 100% crit chance with 90% crit damage at 3600-4400 attack depending on might and bloodlust stacks.

Also ontop of that build with sigils of force, flanking traits and the 20 vuln that can be applied just with rapid fire (opening strike stacks 5….that is refreshed when someone goes down) all up im looking at +60% extra damage.

I think people need to learn builds a bit more, even after a year of ranger and the recent patch I can now self stack 24 might but that’s by using the right traits, sigils and runes.

Shortbow is only good for its auto.

Poison Volley requires you to be in melee range for it to be useful, completely countering the point of the weapon (kiting).

Evasion is always good.

Cripple simply sucks and pet bleeds are unreliable because of, well, pets.

Stun/daze is good but the skill really needs more oomph.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: Casey.9687

Casey.9687

What…

Go home seph your drunk…..Gotta love that 0 condition removal on that build any condition based bunker class would destroy you in seconds and guess what…..those are everywhere! Have fun fighting a longbow warrior who none stop stacks bleeding and burning on you, who also regens 500 hp a second before rengeneration is applied. Your longbow has barely any defense to it which is its stealth after that your screwed. Your axe/warhorn has no surviability what so ever. Apparently you are the one who needs to learn builds my good sir.

in Ranger

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

What…

Go home seph your drunk…..Gotta love that 0 condition removal on that build any condition based bunker class would destroy you in seconds and guess what…..those are everywhere! Have fun fighting a longbow warrior who none stop stacks bleeding and burning on you, who also regens 500 hp a second before rengeneration is applied. Your longbow has barely any defense to it which is its stealth after that your screwed. Your axe/warhorn has no surviability what so ever. Apparently you are the one who needs to learn builds my good sir.

Apparently you need to read is the case, I said that was my zerging build…. where im surrounded by guardians….. and healing springs…. and signants of renewal…. wait for it this will blow your mind BUT light fields everywhere and everyone randomly using whirl finishers ontop of every other condition removal possible!

…. Conditions are worthless in zergs.

Was a nice try though on your behalf, you just need to read the whole quote I gave next time. No way in hell I would small group work or solo roam on that build.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in Ranger

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

Keep the trolling to a minimum guys, I’d like to see some real talk here on mechanics and changes going forward than a kitten fight on who has the best underpowered ranged build.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadow Phage.9084

Shadow Phage.9084

Keep the trolling to a minimum guys, I’d like to see some real talk here on mechanics and changes going forward than a kitten fight on who has the best underpowered ranged build.

In general, ANet is afraid of ranged spikes as they occupied the majority of the degenerate PvP builds in GW1.

ANet is afraid of Ranger damage in particular though due to the large number of those degenerate builds they were featured/key in. Things like: EscapeScythe; RangerSpike; SpiritWay; RaO Thumpers; OmegaSpike; etc, made them push really hard for Rangers to occupy a fire-support + utility/condi/control role.

That being said, it is unlikely we will ever see any Ranger updates in GW2 that puts their ranged abilities on par with other classes. Understandable if Rangers had a working pet system; they don’t though. I don’t understand why they simply didn’t adopt the Hero control scheme from GW1 over to Ranger pets. It was very flexible in terms of added complexity and control. You could set all/part/none of the skills to auto, and likewise with positioning. Those that liked/needed to micro: could; those that didn’t: didn’t.

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

In general, ANet is afraid of ranged spikes as they occupied the majority of the degenerate PvP builds in GW1.

ANet is afraid of Ranger damage in particular though due to the large number of those degenerate builds they were featured/key in. Things like: EscapeScythe; RangerSpike; SpiritWay; RaO Thumpers; OmegaSpike; etc, made them push really hard for Rangers to occupy a fire-support + utility/condi/control role.

That being said, it is unlikely we will ever see any Ranger updates in GW2 that puts their ranged abilities on par with other classes. Understandable if Rangers had a working pet system; they don’t though. I don’t understand why they simply didn’t adopt the Hero control scheme from GW1 over to Ranger pets. It was very flexible in terms of added complexity and control. You could set all/part/none of the skills to auto, and likewise with positioning. Those that liked/needed to micro: could; those that didn’t: didn’t.

“We don’t want ranged dps to be more powerful than melee dps.”

Creates mesmer

Oh, this is the biggest irony.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Shadow Phage.9084

“We don’t want ranged dps to be more powerful than melee dps.”

Creates mesmer

Oh, this is the biggest irony.

Yeeaahhh . . . they don’t have a good track record for mesmer balance, even in GW1. Mesmers were always strong in PvP, not quite so much in PvE, but then they buffed Energy Surge and made Visions of Regret. Then they went and buffed Wastrel’s Worry and Wastrel’s Demise and redid Panic. Suddenly: Mesmer AoE (at least in PvE) makes every other class’ look like utter crap. In PvP: probably had the most number of nerfed skills in GW1.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Anet biggest mistake w/the Ranger was naming the profession a Ranger.

“At one point in development, according to The Making of Guild Wars 2 book, the ranger profession of the original Guild Wars was split into many different professions, notably the warden and the marksman. Eventually, with only marksman remaining, who only possessed only the aspect of ranged weaponry, was combined with already scrapped elements of warden and beastmaster, and renamed the result as ranger for the sake of the original series.”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ranger

I like the idea of a Warden though.

JQ Druid

in Ranger

Posted by: VengefulShoe.5761

VengefulShoe.5761

To be fair, 3 out of the 5 meta builds you mentioned had less to do with Rangers in general, and more to do with the dual-class system, Expertise and the way ANet classified skills in GW1.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

As an aoe weapon the thief shortbow is supremely better, and in terms of burst a berk thief landing clusterbombs is a lot more deadly since he can actually run berserker specs to good effect whereas berserker shortbow rangers are free kills.

1. isn’t the same as ours, considering they can chain it, and #4 is a poison field far better than poison spread, with longer duration and combo opportunities such as aoe weakness.

Their #5 is basically a guaranteed escape or chasing tool.

So all SB ranger has over thief SB is slightly higher single target, which is useless in team fights since the longbow is a better single target tool anyways.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

im hoping to see some serious work put into revamping the prof mechanic and further buffing power build sustain by the devs. because the ranger right now is an unfinished product.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

What…

i run a similar build for jokes. it’s fun to pew pew from 1500 and do a ton of damage, but lets face it. it only works on people with low skill (shortbus), and those who are afk or dont wanna fight (i.e. runners). big problem with power ranger builds is horrible sustain, which is why it’s always better to run a thief or mesmer instead. even my zerky meditation guard who lives in melee ranger has more sustain.

in Ranger

Shadow Phage.9084

To be fair, 3 out of the 5 meta builds you mentioned had less to do with Rangers in general, and more to do with the dual-class system, Expertise and the way ANet classified skills in GW1.

I’ll agree with that. EscapeScythe simply abused the crap out of cheap stances and attacks (after expertise) and the ridiculous base damage scythes had. RaO Thumper was more of what everyone dreamed hammer wars could be: perma IAS/IMS with little drawback. And OmegaSpike, well, abused a lot of things.

RangerSpike though, THAT saw a lot of stuff nerfed. Orders on necro, after-cast delay added to ranger interrupts, damage reduced on some skills, etc.

I think at some point in GW1 they literally said they would nerf RSpike whenever it cropped up. They were that afraid of/unhappy with Rangers doing big damage at range. Consequently that has seemed to govern their balancing stance on Rangers even into GW2. This is why I don’t really hold much hope of ever getting substantial buffs for power-based ranged builds in GW2.

I mean, there’s a lot of small tweaks they could do that wouldn’t push it over the top. Signet of the Hunt’s active changed to work like Assassin’s Signet would be amazing, I think. Rangers really only have one hard-hitting, single-packet skill: Maul. They DO have a lot of skills with split up damage, which would benefit a lot more from +15% to 5 (or so) hits vs +50% to 1 hit. Consolidating ‘Piercing Arrows’ into, probably, ‘Spotter’ would help as well. Making Ranger signets behave like the signets from other classes would be nice. as well. Having to use a GM trait to achieve the same level of functionality as every other class is a bit annoying.

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I personally like Rangers shortbow better that the thief’s. And I Think the balancing of ranger have come quite a bit in the right direction… so its not as bad as many say it is any more, even tough there are still a few things to fix.

Kima & Co

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

ranger short bow is good in concept but bad in realization . Its 2-5 abilities are kind of meh

in Ranger

Posted by: mzt.3270

mzt.3270

When you have to flank to even get a bleed on a shortbow, sorry that’s messed up. Every other class has a mechanic to have bleeds or some other condition on its base 1 attack or has good DPS to compensate if it does not. Shortbow and ranger weapons miss this entirely. Had the shortbow had a mechanic like the engineer pistol with a bit more DPS to it (considering its a two handed weapon) I could understand. Just now its a one second stun when everything else has 3 to 4, no burning as standard, no confusion, a chill that lasts as long as a lit as a match in a hurricane and a bleed / poison base duration that is little more than a tickle to all classes.

Pets are broken , we get that and they have said that. What we don’t get is why Anet are talking trash about build diversity when the tools they give us to do that are half baked and still needing 30 points in a skill tree to get under-performing stats anyway.
What I want to know is when they are going to take the bull by the horns and do something positive and meaningful with this class. Are we power based or are we conditions, either or Ranger needs far more in its damage procs if it can sustain anything with other classes.

Happiness is finding an Omnomberry in your Grumble Cake

(edited by mzt.3270)