Any News on the Ranger Pet being Fixed

in Ranger

Posted by: Lapserdak.9056

Lapserdak.9056

Could our pets also get a litle agony resistance? So they will not die after 1 hit from bosses, espiecially aoe ones because there is no way for them to evade that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wasdclick.1764

Wasdclick.1764

When you see the thread list… look for the ones with Red bubbles next to them. That shows that there’s a mod or dev post. Find the red posts in the ranger threads, and you can learn all the juicy not-so-insider information.

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

Ok well i ask cause on this thread only thing i’ve seen is pets will hit moving targets but in aother thread i read someone say that longbows are getting buffed. I want to know how this is known ie is there some thread where the devs post some of the changes they are doing to rangers?

Because a dev in those threads said so…….

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: neverborne.4736

neverborne.4736

Ok well i ask cause on this thread only thing i’ve seen is pets will hit moving targets but in aother thread i read someone say that longbows are getting buffed. I want to know how this is known ie is there some thread where the devs post some of the changes they are doing to rangers?

Jon has made posts in 3 threads about this upcoming patch stating the following:
• Increase projectile speed (not sure if only on longbow or if on all bows)
• Signet of the Hunt goes to 25% movement speed
• Pets ability to hit moving targets (somewhat) increased.

• For WvW and PvP rangers, these three posts are absolutely incredible.
• For PvE leveling rangers complaining that these changes won’t help you, that’s because the ranger is already very balanced for PvE, if not overpowered.

The only other “major” fix I think we still need to be totally viable in WvW and PvP is pet AOE damage mitigation. After that happens, you won’t see me on these forums any more cause I’ll be too busy loving my ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: silva.5938

silva.5938

• For PvE leveling rangers complaining that these changes won’t help you, that’s because the ranger is already very balanced for PvE, if not overpowered.

I don’t feel so overpowered when my 3 spirits die instantly at each boss’s aoe in a dungeon. I wouldn’t mind if I could switch with a button between two traits builds between bosses, but as it is now the people I play with barge in and I must keep my not so overpowered spirits, loosing in fact 3 skills.

Sorry, didn’t want to ‘rage’. I’m sure one day spirits survivability will be reviewed, and I know that the devs have ton of work to do (thanks guys), it’s just that the topic touched a sensible topic

in Ranger

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Thanks Neverborne. Kinda what i was looking for.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

in Ranger

Posted by: Killsmith.8169

Killsmith.8169

This is good news. Does anyone know if pets currently start an attack as soon as they’re in range or if they get closer to their target before starting? Decreasing the distance to the target before starting an attack would probably be the easiest way to improve hitting if that’s not already implemented.

As for survivability in dungeons, I wouldn’t mind a passive evade mechanic or even some sort of hard limit on what percentage of health a pet can lose from a single hit. Either of those would be an improvement in dungeons.

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

Oh god, my sides! Lord have mercy upon them! I cannot stop laughing!

in Ranger

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

Yup… there you have it. Us PvE players are ‘overpowered’.

ROTF

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

I don’t feel so overpowered when my 3 spirits die instantly at each boss’s aoe in a dungeon. I wouldn’t mind if I could switch with a button between two traits builds between bosses, but as it is now the people I play with barge in and I must keep my not so overpowered spirits, loosing in fact 3 skills.

Sorry, didn’t want to ‘rage’. I’m sure one day spirits survivability will be reviewed, and I know that the devs have ton of work to do (thanks guys), it’s just that the topic touched a sensible topic

Well, you probably don’t feel overpowered because you’re using what are probably some of the most useless utility skills in the game.

When I was leveling up, I saw spirits and thought, “Wow. Those are going to be really helpful in a dungeon!” So I spent the points, got all the spirits and then loaded them up, ready to rock in AC. After about five minutes, they were off my hotbar and haven’t been back on since, except in a few very rare occasions (mostly when I’m checking to see if they still suck, which they do).

Rangers are incredibly awesome in PvE. Probably one of (if not the) best profession for PvE leveling. Put points in Beastmastery, pick up a shortbow, and then go take a nap.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Yup… there you have it. Us PvE players are ‘overpowered’.

ROTF

I’ll have what he’s having, because to be that out of touch with reality, it has to be something like soy sauce in that one movie John Dies at the End.

It’s funny that he mentions the shortbow, given how long it can take to kill something. I remember the joys of leveling my ranger, watching thieves, warriors, guardians and mesmers completely melt monsters into puddles by the time I had a few shots off. Watching 15 points in beast mastery not amount to anything or watching “Invulnerable” and “obstructed” showing up in red, regardless of where I’m standing.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: lchan.2169

lchan.2169

there are two things i would like the pet fixed if possible.
1. why do i slow down when my pet gets attacked. it annoys me because when i am trying to get away from a 75+ lvl mob and my pet is limping or under heavy attack, i cannot escape fast enough.
2. Allow us to point at an enemy (rather then clicking it) which highlights it and I can tell the pet to attack.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Pet fixes are great and thank you, but I’d really like to see a way to “perma” stow my pets and give myself an uptick in DPS by doing so. Some situations I just do not want my pet out. Also, if we can make it so the pet doesn’t pop out on damage, fall or otherwise, that would be fantastic. Thanks for the attention Jon.

+1 here i’d love a perma stow too with a damage increase, many situations pets are as much a hindrance as a help..

in Ranger

Posted by: Volundarhus.7815

Volundarhus.7815

Melee pets hitting moving targets.

Dog, wolf, fernhound, all bears, arctodus, murellow, all cats, pigs, boars, siamoths, all drakes, all moas…

So, birdies weren’t mentioned. Lemme guess. All pets with 130 range will now be increased to hmmm say bird range of 300?

Dragonbrand – Dumaresq
Loch Ness Monster (nnnf)

in Ranger

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

there are two things i would like the pet fixed if possible.
1. why do i slow down when my pet gets attacked. it annoys me because when i am trying to get away from a 75+ lvl mob and my pet is limping or under heavy attack, i cannot escape fast enough.
2. Allow us to point at an enemy (rather then clicking it) which highlights it and I can tell the pet to attack.

1. I’m not sure if this only applies when you have SotH equipped, but when you do and go “in combat,” your speed is reduced,. I think you may also just always slow down when in combat. So, when the pet is attacked, you are in combat, and thus slowed down. I don’t understand it, or like it, but I assume there’s a reason for it.

2. Not sure exactly what you mean by “point,” but you can either use your mouse or targeting keys on your keyboard to select an enemy, then press F1 to tell the pet to attack it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

You don’t go into combat when your pet is hit, you go into combat when your pet retaliates. Avoid Combat or liberal use of Return to Me is your friend.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kindal.9803

Kindal.9803

This may seem extreme but I say give it a good thought. What if pets did no damage and provided a boon instead. They were invincible as well. Different pets give different boons, some group based some not etc. Spirits still remained the same, upside is you would be providing two buffs at once to be more supportive for groups. From a fellow lover of the bow slinging archetypes in mmo’s I would like this approach. It seems pets and their mechanics cause more trouble than they need too. It also seems, from what I have been reading, that people would really like the option of having a pet present or not without affecting their damage output. If this approach was taken, some of the really cool thought put into the current pet abilities could fill out some of the “not so useful” utilities currently for the ranger itself. This is a magical universe so I don’t think giving the ranger the ability to cast some of those cool nature spells the pets have would bother anyone, I would welcome it actually. Hope this gets seen. Thanks for reading.

TL;DR

Pets give boons. No direct damage. Spirits stay the same. Spirit + Pet = 2 boons for groups = Rangers better in groups. Pets don’t die. Could spec a non pet build this way too.

Rangers get some love in the magic corner. Some of the really cool pet spells could be usable by the ranger as utility spells. Replacing some of the less useful options. Casting “Icy Talons” for example, an owl would fly out of the sky at your enemy and apply the slow affect and fly away.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Lol, I cried a bit laughing, I thought he was telling the truth about everything till that, haha. xD

in Ranger

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

… why are we forced to use pets in battle? Why can’t I use it as a distraction or escape mechanism? I don’t want my pet taking damage while in ‘avoid combat’, but I want to save the abilities like knockdown for when I need them. I want to permanently stow my pets and use them when I see fit. Just add a small tick box option in the pet window that turns off whatever is drawing pets in combat or when damaged. Thank you.

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Lol, I cried a bit laughing, I thought he was telling the truth about everything till that, haha. xD

You obviously haven’t solo’d a group event boss.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Cloud.7613

Lol dude, any class can solo an event boss, just need a range weapon. I’m sorry but that’s just silly. xD

in Ranger

RyuDragnier.9476

So saying we’re overpowered in PvE is silly, when it’s pretty much true? Rangers may suck in PvP, but in PvE we’ve got more firepower than the norm. Which actually makes things ironic if you think about it, since we’re overpowered in PvE yet underpowered in PvP.

[hS]

in Ranger

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Except it’s not even remotely true. More fire power than norm? The hell are you even talking about?

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Ranger

Cloud.7613

So saying we’re overpowered in PvE is silly, when it’s pretty much true? Rangers may suck in PvP, but in PvE we’ve got more firepower than the norm. Which actually makes things ironic if you think about it, since we’re overpowered in PvE yet underpowered in PvP.

Stop you’re making a fool out of yourself. My elementalist would do everything better then your ranger, It’s the sad truth, saying the class is under powered in PvE isn’t true, but over powered, are you serious? lol. Give opinions on why they’re over powered because dps isn’t a strong suit for ranger compared to other classes.

in Ranger

RyuDragnier.9476

Except it’s not even remotely true. More fire power than norm? The hell are you even talking about?

Well when I’m outkilling things faster than 4 other classes in the same party, all of which are attacking different mobs, it’s kind of hard for me not to say it.

[hS]

in Ranger

Posted by: kaiserneon.8427

kaiserneon.8427

Pet fixes are great and thank you, but I’d really like to see a way to “perma” stow my pets and give myself an uptick in DPS by doing so. Some situations I just do not want my pet out. Also, if we can make it so the pet doesn’t pop out on damage, fall or otherwise, that would be fantastic. Thanks for the attention Jon.

Jon, first let me say thank you for all the attention you’ve been giving the Ranger class. These improvements, however small they may be so far, are still highly appreciated and don’t go unnoticed by all of us who play Ranger as our main. However, like the user I quoted, I would also love it if you gave our pets the ability to be “permanently” stowed and not trigger on damage. Just something, whether it’s a key bind or otherwise, that could allow us to call upon the pet manually without worrying about it appearing in bad situations, would be excellent, which leads me to the next point…

Please continue to consider what’s possible with giving the pet better survivability in dungeons and especially when dealing with AoE damage. I’m certainly not one to tell you what you should do, but focusing some of your valuable (and admittedly stretched) attention on this sore spot would help us immensely in maintaining usefulness in groups!

One more thing, from me at least: look into allowing our pets f2 skills to trigger faster. I understand balancing issues, but pet f2 utilization is a tricky problem especially when the pets move or they’re facing an enemy, and making it execute faster would improve the usability of the pet’s unique skill substantially. I’ve seen other rangers voice their concerns with this as well, but it would make my day at least.

Thanks again!

in Ranger

Posted by: Diehard.1432

Diehard.1432

Jon, first let me say thank you for all the attention you’ve been giving the Ranger class. These improvements, however small they may be so far, are still highly appreciated and don’t go unnoticed by all of us who play Ranger as our main. However, like the user I quoted, I would also love it if you gave our pets the ability to be “permanently” stowed and not trigger on damage. Just something, whether it’s a key bind or otherwise, that could allow us to call upon the pet manually without worrying about it appearing in bad situations, would be excellent, which leads me to the next point…

Please continue to consider what’s possible with giving the pet better survivability in dungeons and especially when dealing with AoE damage. I’m certainly not one to tell you what you should do, but focusing some of your valuable (and admittedly stretched) attention on this sore spot would help us immensely in maintaining usefulness in groups!

One more thing, from me at least: look into allowing our pets f2 skills to trigger faster. I understand balancing issues, but pet f2 utilization is a tricky problem especially when the pets move or they’re facing an enemy, and making it execute faster would improve the usability of the pet’s unique skill substantially. I’ve seen other rangers voice their concerns with this as well, but it would make my day at least.

Thanks again!

I second that, especially on the f2 delay issue

Garuda X, lvl 80 human Siamoth Ranger JQ SEA
[VaL]

in Ranger

Posted by: Arpheus.6918

Arpheus.6918

I want to mention again the agony resistance. Is anything planned on this issue?
Pets even have an agony resistance attribute. But it’s at zero. They should have the same agony resistance as the ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: kitsuneKyo.6824

kitsuneKyo.6824

that are some wonderful news. i cant wait to play my ranger.D
thank you

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Guys….. Ranger is VERY strong in PvE, what are you talking about? Do you actually play other professions? My main is a ranger, but I have a thief, warrior, ele, and guardian, and I assure you leveling a ranger is far, far, easier. Why do you think bots are all rangers? Easiest profession to keep alive. It’s not about the damage output, it’s that pets hold aggro marvelously well against trash mobs and are tough to kill in basic PvE (unlike in dungeons). The pet + range mechanic works extremely well, any other profession is getting constantly aggro’d and attacked by anything around them while a ranger can turn on LB or SB autoattack and go take a nap.

Dungeons are another matter entirely, other professions are more effective depending on the specific dungeon. Essentially, the Ranger is the undisputed king of solo PvE but is less effective in group play than other classes.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Kirito.3591

Kirito.3591

Any chance you could tell us what % of the Ranger class you feel the pet should be accounting for with their DPS? Is it supposed to be a 70/30 split or 50/50? Next to nothing? etc.

Just trying to get an idea of what the designers feel the class should be capable of and what it’s currently doing.

I don’t remember where, but there was an ANET employee stating that the pet should account for about 45% of the Ranger’s DPS, which seems to be supported by some rough dps number crunching.

Someone in the Ranger forums said that our ranged dps was behind engineers by at least 50%, which would support the ANET’s ‘pets=~45% of ranger dps’ (paraphrasing).

in Ranger

Posted by: WeWantWaffles.2873

WeWantWaffles.2873

I agree with Daemon. PvE is easy for rangers. That’s their big advantage in the game – there is literally no other profession that can do PvE anywhere near as well as rangers do. Honestly xD I dare you to level up as a non-greatsword mesmer, then go to your ranger again…

Oh forums. You’re so silly sometimes..

in Ranger

Posted by: Atish.4351

Atish.4351

Guys….. Ranger is VERY strong in PvE, what are you talking about? Do you actually play other professions? My main is a ranger, but I have a thief, warrior, ele, and guardian, and I assure you leveling a ranger is far, far, easier. Why do you think bots are all rangers? Easiest profession to keep alive. It’s not about the damage output, it’s that pets hold aggro marvelously well against trash mobs and are tough to kill in basic PvE (unlike in dungeons). The pet + range mechanic works extremely well, any other profession is getting constantly aggro’d and attacked by anything around them while a ranger can turn on LB or SB autoattack and go take a nap.

Dungeons are another matter entirely, other professions are more effective depending on the specific dungeon. Essentially, the Ranger is the undisputed king of solo PvE but is less effective in group play than other classes.

Hahaha..this made me giggle, “It’s not about the damage output, it’s that pets hold aggro marvelously well against trash mobs and are tough to kill in basic PvE”
Clearly he hasn’t been to Orr then XD

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Any chance you could tell us what % of the Ranger class you feel the pet should be accounting for with their DPS? Is it supposed to be a 70/30 split or 50/50? Next to nothing? etc.

Just trying to get an idea of what the designers feel the class should be capable of and what it’s currently doing.

I don’t remember where, but there was an ANET employee stating that the pet should account for about 45% of the Ranger’s DPS, which seems to be supported by some rough dps number crunching.

Someone in the Ranger forums said that our ranged dps was behind engineers by at least 50%, which would support the ANET’s ‘pets=~45% of ranger dps’ (paraphrasing).

Well that’s completely asanine then. It shouldn’t be any more than 20% of the class’ total damage. And that’s assuming pets actually worked as planned. Considering the sorry state they’re in, and considering how even ANet approaches pets as an afterthought (Pet dies, just switch to the other and hope the new one can live for 30 seconds so you can repeat, what an amazing mechanic to base a class around…) this class is such a dead end.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kirito.3591

Kirito.3591

Jon has made posts in 3 threads about this upcoming patch stating the following:
• Increase projectile speed (not sure if only on longbow or if on all bows)
• Signet of the Hunt goes to 25% movement speed
• Pets ability to hit moving targets (somewhat) increased.

• For WvW and PvP rangers, these three posts are absolutely incredible.

The only other “major” fix I think we still need to be totally viable in WvW and PvP is pet AOE damage mitigation. After that happens, you won’t see me on these forums any more cause I’ll be too busy loving my ranger.

I think the other one you missed is Spirit aoe dmg mitigation. Possibly make them immune to 50-80% aoe dmg and be healed by regen and your healing spell (only pve if needed for balance issues).

Or reduce the overall CD to about 30-45 seconds and drop the internal cd to about 5sec.

in Ranger

Posted by: Akisame.9508

Akisame.9508

Hahaha..this made me giggle, “It’s not about the damage output, it’s that pets hold aggro marvelously well against trash mobs and are tough to kill in basic PvE”
Clearly he hasn’t been to Orr then XD

I agree, Once you go to Orr you will see that ranger’s are no where near overpowered. There is an event that everyone does over there which as a ranger, if you want to get kill credit to loot the corpses, you need to group up, preferably with a warrior. When the swarm of mobs come in the first thing I do it hit my 5 ability on longbow to hit all the mobs, before my first arrows land, the mobs are already dead because some warrior is acting like a ballerina with weapons, twirling around killing everything in two seconds. During off peak hours when I use my area effect I can’t take them down in 2 seconds like I see those warrior do, my ability 5 doesn’t even bring them down to 3/4 health.

Go play in Orr and then come back and tell me that Ranger’s are overpowered! And good luck having your pet hold agro in Orr, LOL!

in Ranger

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Kiting around in a circle for 10 minutes doesn’t make you overpowered in pve lol….. any class with ranged can do that /facepalm

in Ranger

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Well that’s completely asanine then. It shouldn’t be any more than 20% of the class’ total damage. And that’s assuming pets actually worked as planned. Considering the sorry state they’re in, and considering how even ANet approaches pets as an afterthought (Pet dies, just switch to the other and hope the new one can live for 30 seconds so you can repeat, what an amazing mechanic to base a class around…) this class is such a dead end.

It is my opinion that if a pet is to account for nearly 50% of our dps that they have survivability to not die in one hit on certain boss’s or get rolled by agony in fractals. And also be reliable in other ways. Which they seem to be working on.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Most of the problems that Rangers have in dungeons also apply to Orr and I’d say Southsun Cove as well.

Bots used Rangers because of Search and Rescue but even then I started seeing a lot more Warriors and Guardian bots (and even one Mesmer which confused me) before the mass bot bans started happening.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

It is my opinion that if a pet is to account for nearly 50% of our dps that they have survivability to not die in one hit on certain boss’s or get rolled by agony in fractals. And also be reliable in other ways. Which they seem to be working on.

Honestly, given the state these classes are always in with other games, I am not holding out much hope for a solution to the numerous problems plaguing the class. This is why so many people want the pet’s impact on the class scaled down or outright removed. And who can blame them really? The game went through a long beta process and has been out long enough now where if the problem hasn’t been fixed, a solution or goal would have been outlined and provided to the players to not give up hope.

All we have seen is that they’re going to try to help pets hit moving targets more often, but even that isn’t a major concern with how many other issues that need to be fixed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Thadren Calder.1397

Thadren Calder.1397

Yeap thats what l would like, but l don’t think there’s much chance of anything happening anytime ever.

I would like to see the same option if nothing else it gives rangers a new build option/play style that would more represent a pure archer.

in Ranger

RyuDragnier.9476

Kiting around in a circle for 10 minutes doesn’t make you overpowered in pve lol….. any class with ranged can do that /facepalm

It’s 5 minutes usually. When you’ve got a DoT build, you can usually rip a hole in group bosses just due to the condition damage.

[hS]

in Ranger

Posted by: Alad QB.8904

Alad QB.8904

So, what happened after the patch? Do melee pets really hit moving targets now?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bellocchi.4593

Bellocchi.4593

No.

in Ranger

Posted by: Katostrophe.3274

Katostrophe.3274

No.

Actually, from my experience they are doing a pretty good job at hitting moving targets.

I’ve been using canines and bears and they do a good job hitting a target thats running away, i think they increased the range of their attack aswell.

in Ranger

Posted by: Infatum.2481

Infatum.2481

I had done some very basic testing before the patch for other reasons and shown most melee pets taking double the time to kill the moving heavy golem vs the stationary heavy golem. Post patch most pets seemed to average 1.5 times the kill time, so there was an observable improvement. My sample was rather small, but the times were consistent enough that I was satisfied with it.

Not sure how much of an improvement this translates into in PvP, and I’m guessing it will be a while before we get a good feel for that.

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

No.

uh yes, theyre doing quite well, as long as they have some sort of movements buff (traited, or SoH). it’s a lot harder to juke them, but it requires more work for sure.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Grunties.6841

Grunties.6841

It is an improvement

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I made some changes to improve pets hitting moving targets in this upcoming build. I wouldn’t expect those changes to light the world on fire, but they have improved. There is more to be done in this area still but feedback on how much this upcoming change helped, once it is in, would be great.

The situation has improved somewhat, but more needs to be done. Vs many opponents, pets hits once in a lifetime. They still tend to stop before actually attacking, loosing their opportunity to land the attack if the opponent moves ever so little. Even with the new buff to SoH + the traited +30% speed they have a hard time catching up to people.

Some good suggestions can be found in this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Pet-overhaul/first

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

(edited by OGDeadHead.8326)