Any dungeon builds for a lvl 80 Ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: ClaytieBear.8725

ClaytieBear.8725

Hey, all. I’ve been away from the game for a very long time, and as such, my Ranger is quite out-dated. My friend wants to go do the high-level dungeons, but I don’t know of a single Ranger setup/build for the dungeons now… Anybody know of any viable ones out there?

Thanks!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: Conix.4589

Conix.4589

I go with a 0-0-30-10-30 build. I use Greatsword always, with my swap being either Sword/WH or Dagger, and shortbow for those times that I need range. Found it better than a longbow in dungeons.

The greatsword has an amazing block (3 seconds, and blocks and infinite number of projectiles) on a super short cooldown. Also, in it’s auto attack you have a 1 second evade every 2 seconds. The 3 is great at covering distance, or making a quick escape. 2 is an okay burst.

Sword has 2 good evades, and dagger has a free one as well, so you can evade almost everything while your pet DPS bosses all day.

As far as gear goes, there is no point in going Zerker gear because your pet does not benefit from it, thus 40~% of your DPS does not get buffed from it. Your pet will die instantly, and you will never out DPS any other class that is even close to zerker gear. So just boost up your ability to live while boosting your pet so it can live and dish out the damage.

My gear is power, tough, and vit mostly. My job in a dungeon is to pick up the DPSers that drop while being able to regen my health back, so there is no lost DPS on the bosses. While I pick up dropped people my pet is still dishing out the damage, so there is no huge loss. It actually works better, because you don’t have to sacrifice much damage when a player drops. Just remember to switch out your pet if it is about to die, so you don’t have that huge wait time.

As far as skills go, the only MUST HAVE would be Rage as One. 22 seconds of stability, fury and swiftness? Alright! The rest change out depending on how I feel. I guess SoR and MT are great too have too.

If you get in a good group (say your guild’s group) then you can go more DPS, but then again, why play ranger?

If you’re looking for big numbers, check the other professions, ranger will never get a big number on anything other than a mosquito.

in Ranger

Posted by: Grayback.7148

Grayback.7148

I’m sorry conix and no offense here, but that’s just some horrible advice. Encounters are going to take forever with such a setup and that’s the reason why people die…
Additionally it’s been proven numerous times that ranger dps aren’t that bad at all in the last weeks. You can avoid more than 90% of the damage you would take by dodging, so why fiddling around with bunkerish setups and loosing a ton of dps.
Then you are complaining that pets don’t benefit from your gear, but you don’t use one of the most important ways to let your pet benefit from boons (fortifying bond).
It’s not that dungeon content isn’t doable with such a build, but it isn’t even in the near of something called effective.
To the op, for dungeons, go zerker gear, ruby orb ors scholar/ranger runes.
If you aren’t that experienced and want to be on the safe side, then start with something like 10/15/30/15/0. 30 in WS is gonna safe your kitten a few times at the beginning, if you start feeling more comfortable start putting points from WS into Skirmishing and Marksmanship. You can also use signet of stone at the start, then switch it out somewhen for quikening zephyr.
Use spotter, healing spring, frost spirit for your team. Equip a warhorn for fury/swiftness/might and the blast finisher for some more team love.
Use the sword as your primary weapon, even if the rooting sucks from time to time, you can get used to it and get comfortable with the rhythm.
In the end you should be able to dish out 3-4k (sometimes more) autoattacks with the sword, and you know, the sword attacks fast…so that’s some quite neat dps.

in Ranger

Posted by: Conix.4589

Conix.4589

I think I need to state that the build up there is mostly a pug running one/WWW one.

With my full Zerker set up, my character hit nice. Not anywhere near most other classes, but nice. My pet was dead almost all the time, so he had no DPS output.
With this new build, I hit the same as far as power goes. I don’t ever really crit though. BUT my pet stays alive, and is able to land a crit on almost every strike, so in the end I feel like I do just as much damage, if not more, as a zerker build.

I already stated that if you are running with a good group you can do DPS, but if you are going to do that, just play another profession. The ranger can’t compete. You have so many evades and a few good regens at your disposal, that is what you should be doing. On another class, a bunker build is not good in dungeons. As rangers we can go bunker, without nerfing our pets in power. So it doesn’t hurt. That last skill trait tree buffs the pet a lot.

I ran full exotics with zerker stats and scholar runes. I do up to 40% extra damage (10 for health, 10 for stamina, 10 for flanking, then the sigils) and the damage is still subpar to other classes. It’s just how it works because of the pet. Sure, zerker gear is great for those first few PvE dungeons and fracts, but you WILL be beat out by every other player still. You (the Ranger) can NOT do the DPS that other classes can. On top of this, they can survive better than you. So its a double F you to us.
Though spotter is really nice, most groups don’t care enough about it to lose out on a Warrior/Guardian/Mesmer. Healing spring is great in stacks when everyone blast finishes, but a run with pugs and it comes useless. Go Knight’s if you want that Precision, but I use Soldier’s right now.

By buffing your pet, you put out a constant stream of DPS, while picking up the DPSers who will fall. This way, you really lose none of your dps, Because your pet is still putting it out, and no one dies.

My group gets those speed run times with this build, so I see no reason not to continue to play it. I never go down (Unless I’m running with randoms, and only after they all die) so that’s a plus. Can’t say that with my zerker build haha. Ultimately it comes down to what works for you.

(edited by Conix.4589)

in Ranger

Posted by: Noobie.1073

Noobie.1073

I think that both builds suggested could be evaluated better. I personally run a 0/0/30/10/30 in WvW with full apothecary gear and trinkets for healing and conditions but in Dungeons, though it keeps me alive, I often feel like I’m only along for the ride and not a contributing factor. If you want to stay alive in a dungeon and “slowly” wittle down the bosses, I’d say go for the bunker build, just keep in mind that your pet will not survive regardless of being traited because of the immense AoE in high level dungeons. I personally feel that in Dungeons, Power is the way to go. You should not have to frontline/draw aggro with guards/warriors so you won’t be getting hit too often, but if you do, utilize your evades and skills to get out of a sticky situation.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRBHhxG1IRVldhlgFrdAY9QP/Gk94QGf0VA1LeqKJ-jkyAYrBRTQgJLQEGASEY2rIasF1ioxqYwUmER1ujioVDA-w

This is the build I personally run while in fractals or any other dungeon for that matter. You get plenty of protection from Signet of stone via Signet of the Beastmaster trait, 20k HP pool, and you crit with every other hit. Your pet choices can be up to you, but I usually use a wolf/stalker for CC fear and might buff. As always, smart play is required with any ranger build. I choose Axe/Horn over SB because in dungeons, you want to do as much damage to as many NPCs as possible and axe has the same range kitten but has 2 additional bounces so it hits up to 3 targets. Horn #5 is essentially Rampage as One in that it provides you the fury, might, and swiftness minus the stability. Swap pets accordingly, use sword/dagger for evades when you get mobbed and you’ll be fine. I survive with my own group or PUGs regardless and I put out the same amount of damage if not more because of the consistency in my crits and extra DPS from pets. Anyone who tells you that Rangers can’t do something is obviously playing another profession too much. you just have to know who you’re teamed up with, for example, Warriors spec’d for survivabilty do not have the Burst damage of a berserker warrior and vice versa, Berserker’s don’t have the survivabilty of a bunker or defensively focused tank. That being said, if you have tanks in your group, you contributing to the overall DPS of the group is more of contribution than you staying alive after everyone else dies. Ranger’s aren’t the best at a lot of things, but we’re consistently good at all things. Try out the build and tweek it to your own play style, only then can you determine whether its a good build for you or not.

I Cha Cha I – Mediocre Ranger at best
Mao Xiong – Worst Warrior GW2

(edited by Noobie.1073)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQJBMhMSUFZXVxaHIWK2z+5MAAA8MKFAA-jgxAYrASFASeFRjtNUENWdNmylIqGA-e
Pretty standard full dps dungeon build. What’s left blank you can pretty much take whatever, it doesn’t matter.
(well, don’t use bears)
(might take sigil of night on warhorn)

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Ranger

Posted by: Spark Angel.2145

Spark Angel.2145

I think that both builds suggested could be evaluated better. I personally run a 0/0/30/10/30 in WvW with full apothecary gear and trinkets for healing and conditions but in Dungeons, though it keeps me alive, I often feel like I’m only along for the ride and not a contributing factor. If you want to stay alive in a dungeon and “slowly” wittle down the bosses, I’d say go for the bunker build, just keep in mind that your pet will not survive regardless of being traited because of the immense AoE in high level dungeons. I personally feel that in Dungeons, Power is the way to go. You should not have to frontline/draw aggro with guards/warriors so you won’t be getting hit too often, but if you do, utilize your evades and skills to get out of a sticky situation.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRBHhxG1IRVldhlgFrdAY9QP/Gk94QGf0VA1LeqKJ-jkyAYrBRTQgJLQEGASEY2rIasF1ioxqYwUmER1ujioVDA-w

This is the build I personally run while in fractals or any other dungeon for that matter. You get plenty of protection from Signet of stone via Signet of the Beastmaster trait, 20k HP pool, and you crit with every other hit. Your pet choices can be up to you, but I usually use a wolf/stalker for CC fear and might buff. As always, smart play is required with any ranger build. I choose Axe/Horn over SB because in dungeons, you want to do as much damage to as many NPCs as possible and axe has the same range kitten but has 2 additional bounces so it hits up to 3 targets. Horn #5 is essentially Rampage as One in that it provides you the fury, might, and swiftness minus the stability. Swap pets accordingly, use sword/dagger for evades when you get mobbed and you’ll be fine. I survive with my own group or PUGs regardless and I put out the same amount of damage if not more because of the consistency in my crits and extra DPS from pets. Anyone who tells you that Rangers can’t do something is obviously playing another profession too much. you just have to know who you’re teamed up with, for example, Warriors spec’d for survivabilty do not have the Burst damage of a berserker warrior and vice versa, Berserker’s don’t have the survivabilty of a bunker or defensively focused tank. That being said, if you have tanks in your group, you contributing to the overall DPS of the group is more of contribution than you staying alive after everyone else dies. Ranger’s aren’t the best at a lot of things, but we’re consistently good at all things. Try out the build and tweek it to your own play style, only then can you determine whether its a good build for you or not.

Your linked build is sort of good, but here’s a few suggestions.

1. As of right now, you’re not using any traps so you should change Trap Potency to something more effective

2. You aren’t using a shortbow or longbow so you should probably change Quick Draw to Honed Axes.

3. Where are you getting this crit every other hit? In the build calc, it shows your crit rate at only 32% and I’m pretty sure you can’t chain fury well enough to have 50% all the time in fights.

I’m kind of curious as to why you chose sword/dagger as offhand. Even with the protection from Signet of Stone, it’s generally not a good idea for us rangers to be “in the fray” (I can understand sword though because lots of evades). I’d personally switch it for Greatsword so that you have the damage to back you up, but hey, that’s my opinion.

(edited by Spark Angel.2145)

in Ranger

Posted by: Noobie.1073

Noobie.1073

Your linked build is sort of good, but here’s a few suggestions.

1. As of right now, you’re not using any traps so you should change Trap Potency to something more effective

2. You aren’t using a shortbow or longbow so you should probably change Quick Draw to Honed Axes.

3. Where are you getting this crit every other hit? In the build calc, it shows your crit rate at only 32% and I’m pretty sure you can’t chain fury well enough to have 50% all the time in fights.

I’m kind of curious as to why you chose sword/dagger as offhand. Even with the protection from Signet of Stone, it’s generally not a good idea for us rangers to be “in the fray” (I can understand sword though because lots of evades). I’d personally switch it for Greatsword so that you have the damage to back you up, but hey, that’s my opinion.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRBHhxG1IRVldhlgFrdAY9QP/Gk94QFL0VA1LeqKJ-jkyAYrBRTQgJLQEGASEY2rIasF1ioxqYwUmER1ujioVDA-w

Fixed! It was late last night, and i was too tired to bother changing.

Crit chance increases with Horn#5 and RaO by 20% + 32% standard gives you 52% chance which equals about every other hit with activated skills. you can even run a red Moa and get additional Fury for longer crit chance up-time but I find that horn#5 and RaO is more than enough to boost my damage.

I chose Sword/Dagger because I primarily play as a Condition/Trap ranger in WvW and sword/dagger is much more fluid for me. Though this gives me less DPS it also cripples NPCs and gives me 3 evades + my 2 dodge rolls to get out of danger. I will only use sword/dagger when I need to get away from being mobbed because I don’t like being trapped (claustrophobic lol). I, in no way intend to stay in a mob and DPS my way out so GS #3 would be the only skill I find useful for my style of play. Again, this is my preference in play so it optimizes my strengths. Someone else may be different, they may like LB/GS, that combo however is not me and so I would not choose to put myself at a disadvantage. Additionally, having an extra Sigil is worth the trouble as well

I Cha Cha I – Mediocre Ranger at best
Mao Xiong – Worst Warrior GW2

in Ranger

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I use a hybrid BM/dps build 20/20/0/0/30. I find that the survivability of my pet is pretty high, excepting those encounters where death is inevitable (Subject Alpha, etc.)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kozai.8269

Kozai.8269

Nice discussion, thanks, I’ve been looking for builds for a Ranger friend for whom we are going to buy her first Exotic gear. She is willing to try dungeons again after horrible first experiences (she is not good at kiting, dodging, reading animations, etc., not that I am terrific at that), so I’m looking for a somewhat tankier build for her, hopefully as she learns more she can start swapping out gear for more dps. The key is to get her through a few dungeons without too many deaths, last time she was usually dead within the first 10-20 seconds in a boss room, which makes for a really boring fight.

Sounds like Conix’s build could work, though I know she wants a bow as one weapon at least.