Anyone have a Trapper Rune build?

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Superior Rune of the Trapper:

+25 Condition Damage
The duration of conditions you apply last 10% longer.
+50 Condition Damage
When you use a trap skill, gain 3 seconds of super speed.
+100 Condition Damage
Gain 3 seconds of stealth when using a trap skill.

New runes are out, and sooner or later they will start showing up on the new, slower-than-ever trading post. Anyone come up with some builds that could make good use of super speed and stealth for trappers yet?

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

No, but set yourself up with condition damage, take all the trap traits. Throw out each trap just after / as stealth ends, and get 15 to 16 seconds of endless stealth. You may not kill anyone, but they won’t be able to find you.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQNAsYVjEq0ua5K+rQ1aABhaVA0+Fu3WgkittenBbQBfqA-T1CEABFcGAKVJIMqhElSDnUGE3hAwHlYkoPQGVPc4BAAgJOSBAxYA-w

^^ this is what i am thinking.

Trapper with hybrid damage. Drops a trap for stealth and superspeed anytime the enemy gets close, then puts arrows in their back with shortbow. Or uses stealth to get off an entangle.

with the runes in, its 1k condi dmg, 1800 power, 170% crit dmg, 40% crit (without fury), 2890 armor.

I’m not sold on the dagger. it’s there because im used to it, but stealth + entangle + bonfire would be hilarious.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I have them and, honestly, I was a little disappointed.

I just used the normal Rabid setup (pretty much what you posted above but with Rabid armour and Dire/Rabid trinkets).

The problem, for me, was speed. I really hate playing without +25% speed, and without traveller or speed runes, and without a spare utiltity slot (due to the need for 2 traps and a stunbreaker) there’s just no way.

The next problem is one we saw coming, which is the traps themselves reveal you. It’s annoying and does limit the usefulness of the stealth. I was using Flame/Frost trap since thats what I always do so I personally didn’t find it added much for me.

Also the stealth can’t be used as a panic defence. Even without the master trait to make traps ranged there is a noticable delay between when you think the trap is set and when you actually get the buffs. That, coupled with the traps often dragging you out of the stealth made it feel pretty clunky.

Now.. with that said.. the Super Speed (which is +100% if anyone is wondering) is pretty cool and certainly something worth having. I don’t want to be the one to say it can’t work, there are obviously advantages to the set and if you’re interested I wouldn’t discourage you from trying… but for, I am pretty sure I’ll go back to my sweet sweet Traveller Runes.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Cufufalating.8479)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Does the frost trap pop you also, as its not damage?

I just plan to use the frost trap, and slot a signet of hunt for speed, maybe swap it for fire or spike trap if swiftness is abundant. . Its not a true trapper build but more of a gimmick stealth build.

Also love traveller runes, but considering the trade.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

No, but set yourself up with condition damage, take all the trap traits. Throw out each trap just after / as stealth ends, and get 15 to 16 seconds of endless stealth. You may not kill anyone, but they won’t be able to find you.

Lol. This made me giggle.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Ranger

Kilger.5490

Lol. This made me giggle.

Me too, but in reality as soon as trap goes off you’ll be popped out of stealth!!

Kilger – Human Ranger
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Cufufalating.8479

Does the frost trap pop you also, as its not damage?

No, as excepted Frost Trap will not break the stealth which is one saving grace. Frost Trap + run like hell with super speed is a pretty fair way to escape anyone.

Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: paxi.1236

paxi.1236

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQNAsYVjEq0ua5K+rQ1aABhaVA0+Fu3WgkittenBbQBfqA-T1CEABFcGAKVJIMqhElSDnUGE3hAwHlYkoPQGVPc4BAAgJOSBAxYA-w

^^ this is what i am thinking.

Trapper with hybrid damage. Drops a trap for stealth and superspeed anytime the enemy gets close, then puts arrows in their back with shortbow. Or uses stealth to get off an entangle.

with the runes in, its 1k condi dmg, 1800 power, 170% crit dmg, 40% crit (without fury), 2890 armor.

I’m not sold on the dagger. it’s there because im used to it, but stealth + entangle + bonfire would be hilarious.

Would Axe in the mainhand instaed of Sword also be good? I think it would be better because more condition dmg?

in Ranger

Cufufalating.8479

Axe can work fine. Sword offers much more survivability thanks to the evades and movement, but as you say, in a pure condition build the axe will bring more damage (and the #3 is not to be unestimated either).

Really it’s personal preference, though my opinion is that roaming without a GS or a Sword is a bad idea.

Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackRose.1247

BlackRose.1247

tried it. awesome. full stop.

Kodash RANGER, War, Thief, Mesmer, Guard
proud member of NV

in Ranger

Posted by: paxi.1236

paxi.1236

Axe can work fine. Sword offers much more survivability thanks to the evades and movement, but as you say, in a pure condition build the axe will bring more damage (and the #3 is not to be unestimated either).

Really it’s personal preference, though my opinion is that roaming without a GS or a Sword is a bad idea.

Hmmmm okay…. a full condition ranger makes that sense in wvw?
And how many traps are good? 2 or 3? Because 2 of 4 amkes you visible if somebody activate them… maybe SoH or blitzreflese makes sense ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Last night in hotjoin I fought what i think was a GS, PO, trap ranger.

He was using the traps to proc stealth and confuse me, as well as proc the 10% PO.

I thought it was interesting but I killed him with my lb…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I thought that rune wasn’t available in PvP?

Edit: Wait, you’re not talking about the new rune. What is PO?

in Ranger

Kilger.5490

hmmm got them, the speed isnt 100% (in spite of the tool tip), its exactly the same as swiftness

Bugged I hope.

Kilger – Human Ranger
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Oh so they’re not in PvP? So much for that theory then. He must have been stealthing from his buddy’s combo field.

PO=predators onslaught.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I have them and, honestly, I was a little disappointed.

The problem, for me, was speed. I really hate playing without +25% speed, and without traveller or speed runes, and without a spare utiltity slot (due to the need for 2 traps and a stunbreaker) there’s just no way.

the traps themselves reveal you. It’s annoying and does limit the usefulness of the stealth. I was using Flame/Frost trap since thats what I always do so I personally didn’t find it added much for me.

there is a noticable delay between when you think the trap is set and when you actually get the buffs. That, coupled with the traps often dragging you out of the stealth made it feel pretty clunky.

Now.. with that said.. the Super Speed (which is +100% if anyone is wondering) is pretty cool and certainly something worth having.

I’ll go back to my sweet sweet Traveller Runes.

Shame. I would love to play traps in wvw in my guild roams but the 600 range kills it. My first thought when I saw these runes was addressing the lack of speed or swiftness, the stealth- breaking and the delay are the nails in the coffin.

I can’t see traps ever being viable in wvw until they have more than 600 range.

downed state is bad for PVP

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

Ok, back to the top because I actually have a serious question (Ranger alt here). Mind if I ask what is the purpose of the ranger trapper from a WvW point of view? I main a guardian who is pretty much a solo roamer / DPS or group of 5 supporter. I’ve not played traps only condition and long bow (before patch) so I’m ignorant of the play style with traps.

I’m just wondering how it is supposed to work. In a small roaming group are you just slowing the enemy down with them and letting others do the work/kill? Or is it a troll build (no disrespect) meaning you prevent them from doing something but can’t finish the job by killing.

I’m looking at that build posted earlier but not a huge fan of sword because of hornet sting and leap (I can’t tell you how many times I’ve jumped to my death ). Just seemed like a interesting play style my ignorance aside.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Mind if I ask what is the purpose of the ranger trapper from a WvW point of view?

Flame Trap and Spike Trap do a lot of condi damage, plus traps can be traited to be thrown almost like a grenade. You augment it with the usual ranger weapons like sword, dagger, axe, torch, even short bow, etc. The other traps have their uses but this is 101.

You can use them in zergs. But… eh. The one place I do suggest them is in open-wall tower defense. Even as a mostly power ranger I will swap to traps and slap them down on a wall gap.

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

Mind if I ask what is the purpose of the ranger trapper from a WvW point of view?

Flame Trap and Spike Trap do a lot of condi damage, plus traps can be traited to be thrown almost like a grenade. You augment it with the usual ranger weapons like sword, dagger, axe, torch, even short bow, etc. The other traps have their uses but this is 101.

You can use them in zergs. But… eh. The one place I do suggest them is in open-wall tower defense. Even as a mostly power ranger I will swap to traps and slap them down on a wall gap.

Thanks Fluffball. Appreciate the information.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

hmmm got them, the speed isnt 100% (in spite of the tool tip), its exactly the same as swiftness

Bugged I hope.

The effect is a shortened version of the effect you get from the Engineer skill, which has the same limitation :::
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Super_Speed

And even in combat, your speed is set to out of combat run speed with swiftness applied, even if you have crippled and chill on you.

in Ranger

Kilger.5490

Yea I’ve been told… The icon says 100% speed but it still has uses

Kilger – Human Ranger
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

100% speed means that you have normal swiftness speed (25% in combat) despite being effected by cripple or chill. This means you are not kitable during the duration of the speed boost and will stay on target/away from target.

You don’t need to use these trappers runes and Flame/Spike traps (which reveals you) build or even a heavy condition damage focused build. Some condition duration though is still recommended …

in Ranger

Kilger.5490

Swiftness speed is not 100% speed, it’s 133% speed.

Ok to be more clear the icon is +100% speed, big emphasis on the “plus”. Where swiftness says +33% this says +100%. This sounds to me more like super speed.

Hence I still think there’s a bug, maybe just the icon description is inaccurate, but I’ve posted it in the bug forum.

Kilger – Human Ranger
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Kilger.5490

Bugged I hope.

The effect is a shortened version of the effect you get from the Engineer skill, which has the same limitation :::
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Super_Speed

And even in combat, your speed is set to out of combat run speed with swiftness applied, even if you have crippled and chill on you.

Looking at the wiki link you provided it even states it’s bugged for engineer version too. I tested it out with chill, rune super speed is affected, so it’s not identical. It’s basically a broken version of a bugged ability. :p

Kilger – Human Ranger
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

I slapped trapper runes on a balanced longbow build, results are fairly good:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJATRjEq0uaBLusQ1ag8gadAkArdragdHcCtQJjqC-T1SDwAzU/5wDA4pSoEXAgKHCguKfApJYhSQ46AGcEAAYCiMALjB-w

Between hunter’s shot and flame trap you get >50% stealth uptime, which really helps with positioning. I was using ranger runes before so the damage isn’t actually affected too much. If you use frost trap asw well, I’m fairly sure you have more stealth than a mesmer, which is just funny with the range you’ve got too.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build