Apoc Rangers with Shortbow

in Ranger

Posted by: Decklan.7540

Decklan.7540

The typical apoc ranger setup seems to be sword/dagger and axe/torch. My question really is, why do none of them implement the shortbow? To me, the sword doesn’t seem to be a very good condition weapon. Yes it has a poison, but other than that it seems more geared towards a power type build.

The shortbow however has access to two bleeds and a poison. Granted, one of them is restricted by a flanking requirement, but it still seems like a better choice on paper. Is there a reason why most apoc rangers don’t go shortbow and axe/torch?

Just looking for answers as I research more about apothecary ranger builds, as I mostly play a “zerg” power ranger with longbow (which does net a lot of bags with barrage and piercing shot rapid fire) and was interested in gearing up and trying out a “roaming regen” ranger for small group situations.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

The sword/dagger is more for defense than damage, but you can stack 20 seconds of poison and 3 stacks of bleeds which is very awesome.

You can use sword #1 to stay on your target if you have to. Sword #2 is your gap closer or get away tool. Sword #3 is an extra evade. Then dagger adds an extra evade and some nice bleeds/cripple.

Also, shortbow is boring to me, really all you do is auto attack and save your #5 for their heal.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

For me its sword/warhorn and axe/torch.
Axe/torch
Is very good for condition damage when you don’t have precision to proc bleeds.

sword/warhorn
I don’t think its that great for condition damage. I use it for solely for the warhorn. The problem is that rangers are limited to a selection of two main-handed weapons: (1)sword and (2)axe. The axe is already in the axe/torch setup, and sword is probably better in a power build. So in the end, the sword/dagger and sword/warhorn setup becomes our only option and we use it as defensive weapons (poison+evades/evades or poison+evades/blast finisher).

The downside of the setup is that you usually lack the bleed stacks to kill someone quickly, which is why you’ll see a lot of people slot the geomancy sigil to their weapon (and rely on pet damage). Otherwise, the two weapon sets compliment each other nicely: bleed, chill, burn, poison. I guess the shortbow could replace the sword/dagger for bleed and and poison, but its more of an offensive weapon and you’ll lose some escapability (sword #2 skill with autotarget off).

(edited by kiwituatara.6053)

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

They’re similar weapons overall.

One has an evade+daze.
The other has 2 evades.
Beyond that they’re very similar.

Sword has the advantage of doing considerably more damage and being an AE cleave. Shortbow can stack bleeds better but needs piercing shot to really land hits consistently.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Sword is a defense/disengage weapon. You get a nice evade, and a leap backwards while evading, which you can then detarget, 180, and leap away. Not to mention, being able to leap through all of the fields you’re able to make. Particularly, you’re own fire field to get yourself fire aura is extremely useful, as well as leaping through your own healing spring.

Also, the auto attack plus the burn is just more damage output than the shortbow in apothecary gear.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Gorwald.6170

Gorwald.6170

Personnaly, i play a condi ranger with the two bows….yes it’s strange but it works quite well on roaming, even on zerg with piercing arrows.

I play with runes of perplexity, it’s why i use the shortbow/longbow, for interrupt.

People don’t except the ranger to have confusion so they don’t take attention generally, and in zerg, getting confusion on a lot of people with barrage or piercing shot is quite fun.

Good armor, ok life, mix condi damage/regen life

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQJAVTjAVV2BWKWo2BglCBDs9gTJxkpwQGLxXeB-j0BBoOBiWIQZSFRjtsuIas6GYqVER1eFFRrWKAzkGB-w

Short bow is a good disengage weapon too, but the distance of back is not far enough, when you see the escape from thief….sigh

I use then 3 of longbow to disengage and eventually brain people with it (quite fun to do)

Karpal – Augury rock (French server)
Ranger 80 – Warrior 80 – Mesmer 80 – Necromancer 80 – Guardian 80

in Ranger

Posted by: dragonrhapsody.6198

dragonrhapsody.6198

The sword/dagger is more for defense than damage, but you can stack 20 seconds of poison and 3 stacks of bleeds which is very awesome.

You can use sword #1 to stay on your target if you have to. Sword #2 is your gap closer or get away tool. Sword #3 is an extra evade. Then dagger adds an extra evade and some nice bleeds/cripple.

Also, shortbow is boring to me, really all you do is auto attack and save your #5 for their heal.

I would agree with sword #1 and #3 skill but #2, I would say it’s more of a get away tool. You cant leap back and jump forward in time to catch anyone.

Most men complacently accepts
“Knowledge” as “Truth”…
They are sheep ruled by fear…

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

actually for apoc , its better sword torch and axe dagger , more offensive , more burst .

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

I would agree with sword #1 and #3 skill but #2, I would say it’s more of a get away tool. You cant leap back and jump forward in time to catch anyone.

It’s possible and I do it all the time. Last fight in this video.

in Ranger

Posted by: milknnuts.8610

milknnuts.8610

actually for apoc , its better sword torch and axe dagger , more offensive , more burst .

I also use this set up from time to time. But I still prefer the good old s/d, axe/torch combo.