Are Rangers Worth It?

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: ScottTheWanderer.4716

ScottTheWanderer.4716

Usually in games I play as an archer, but in this game they don’t seem to be very good. I just started one and it has relatively good damage and evasion (and the pet is great) but I’ve seen a lot of posts saying that a ranger is only good at low levels, because later the pets are underpowered and the utility skills and slot skills become useless. And a lot of posts saythat most of the time rangers aren’t necessarily wanted for grouping for dungeons and whatnot. If this is true, then I don’t really want to continue on with my ranger. So are rangers better now than they were a few months ago (they were pretty weak when I started playing) in terms of PvP, WvW, or PvE? I just don’t want to put a bunch of time into a useless class.

Oh and the update on October 11th… Is that going to boost rangers?
Edit: Spellcheck

Wippo – Asura Elementalist
House of the Steel Dragon – Darkhaven

(edited by ScottTheWanderer.4716)

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: LuRkEr.9462

LuRkEr.9462

Here is the truth.. Rangers are fine other than pets / spirits die insanely quick in PvE. In sPvP they do great with certain builds and in WvW they do pretty good.

Rangers do awesome damage single target but lack in the aoe department unless your going melee.

The rangers really need a pet takes 50% less aoe or something which will help alot.

Many people that play rangers are TERRIBLE and you can usually spot them easily (use bear in dungeon or similar pet…) These people give the low % of good rangers a bad name and therefor sometimes you may be insta-kicked from a group simply for being a ranger upon joining. Play what you enjoy as rangers kick kitten solo but if your a big grouper do it with friends or you may get burned a few times from people not giving your class a chance.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Dungeons- Full melee or forget about it.

here’s the build-http://youtu.be/5Bjq1vcnhpQ

Enjoy.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

Yes pets are rather fragile and vulnerable to AoEs, but your pet surviability is tight to 3 important basic facts :
1) Boons, protection and regen helps the pet a lot.
2) F3 to move it out of AoEs.
3) F4 to switch it away from a heavy blows and focused fire.

Keep those 3 facts in mind when you play your Ranger and your pet will be fine against most encounters.

There are also other traits and signets that helps your pet out of difficult situations but they are far from beeing mandatory (you can see those more like a bonus).

Overall the Ranger is a solid Profession wich exceed on his own and offers utility with a variation of different fields, buffs and the pets.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Posted on reddit 11 hours ago by the same guy who altered someone else’s build and posted the video swiftpaw just linked:

BrazilDnT

Gameplay with Sword is that farthest thing from boring I could possibly imagine, because you have to queue up attacks ahead of time, know what attacks bosses are going to do, break your autoattack chain if you make a mistake, and do all of that while managing a pet. It’s not boring, it’s not lazy, it’s very difficult. You lack understanding of how Ranger actually works. Greatsword will also get you killed a lot if you break the autoattack chain or don’t time evades correctly.

The downside of the class is that more people can’t play it effectively because of the challenge it brings. I don’t play mine as often anymore because I can’t relax while playing it. It’s difficult and rage inducing when you make a mistake.

From this reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1o80i5/should_i_reroll_from_ranger/

That’s the state of the DPS ranger in dungeons from one of the more elitist members of the dungeon community. The guy who many people copy (he himself slightly altered a build from Gunagali) said that the sword is “difficult and rage inducing when you make a mistake” and he “can’t relax while playing it.”. Now if the developers intended to create a class that was difficult and rage inducing and didn’t allow people to relax during a casual dungeon run, what audience did they make the game for? This is a guy who runs the build in optimised parties of skilled and experienced players that can support the build with the DPS it needs to work. What do you think the experience is like for random pugs or more casual players?

The skill cap on an engineer or an elementalist allows you to do some crazy stuff, combo fields, blast finishers, 25+ skills and combos. There is a tool for almost every situation and when you master those classes there is so much you can do. When you master the ranger you can stop your pet from being a hindrance (either causing harm to your party somehow or simply keeping it alive) and stay alive while using the sword. There is a bunch of other things you can do (probably less than an ele or engineer), but are you going to have the resources/skill for that when you are constantly micromanaging the pet and micromanaging the sword?

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

If someone enjoys playing Ranger, then it will probably be worth it for them to learn to play it. Brazil can play his Ranger, but he doesn’t enjoy it as much as another class, so he does it less. Either way, his build is a good resource for learning how you can maximize your potential in dungeons, but be prepared to put in a lot of work and effort to master it.

Brazil would tell you this himself, but he’s taking a forced break from posting on the forums.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

(edited by The Mexican Cookie.3690)

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

To quote Brazil who is currently doing time for hurting people’s feelings:

‘If you enjoy ranger then I encourage you to play it. It’s perfectly playable in dungeons (with the build linked). I don’t enjoy playing ranger, but it’s an acceptable class for dungeons.’

‘Also pets are not hit by AoE’s in dungeons thanks to an update a while back, making them perfectly fine in places like CoE.’

Now to quote myself:

I hate ranger because of the way it is pushed to run a very particular build and requires a great deal of attention to be effective when pugging. However, it’s doable. Every now and then I will pug with the build linked and have a perfectly fine time doing it.

Edit- Cookie >:(

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

The ranger is good if you’re good. If you’re not good then ranger isn’t good.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

ScottTheWanderer.4716

Okay I’m going to keep at it, hopefully it’s rewarding in the end! thanks to everyone for the advice

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: KedirakEvo.5719

KedirakEvo.5719

Im gonna hitch on this thread and ask…

So which class is easily casually played? All in a hard days work, I just wanna login and have fun and not stress myself over again playing a game (I can already expect some nasty responses over that line… But just humor me all right?). Seems ranger is playable casually, but to be optimal you have to work kitten this class?

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

Im gonna hitch on this thread and ask…

So which class is easily casually played? All in a hard days work, I just wanna login and have fun and not stress myself over again playing a game (I can already expect some nasty responses over that line… But just humor me all right?). Seems ranger is playable casually, but to be optimal you have to work kitten this class?

Guardian is easy as sin. No micro. Just grab and go … and rarely die.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Meh, stop with this BS… I made DM title and still do regural arah runs, using only LB/GS build. Melee, zerker gear and all other fancy-numbers-kitten is if you want to farm or make very good times.

This is how hard PvE is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPRFNsBqac8&feature=youtu.be

You can use whatever you want and still easily finish dung.

Only exceptions are very high lvl fractals. I went only up to lvl 34, no problems there, but I guess fotm 48 runs would finally push me to change build.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Meh, stop with this BS… I made DM title and still do regural arah runs, using only LB/GS build. Melee, zerker gear and all other fancy-numbers-kitten is if you want to farm or make very good times.

This is how hard PvE is:

You can complete any PvE content with any build, this is true. However, you can choose to play to the classes potential or you can choose to play by ‘good enough is good enough’. Using GS/LB is the latter mentality.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

This is how hard PvE is:

Only exceptions are very high lvl fractals. I went only up to lvl 34, no problems there, but I guess fotm 48 runs would finally push me to change build.

You won’t be doing Arah very fast with Longbow / Greatsword on a Ranger. Will it be easy? Yes. But you will also be doing lower damage than probably everyone else in the party. If you take a group that is organized and can do things quickly, you will have kills like this

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

True. And? I stopped playing WoW after few years of top hardcore raiding. I’m not interested in it. And there are some ppl who also aren’t. The nice part of GW2 PvE is that, you can do it with build/weapon you like and still have fun.

Speaking about dmg, I’d like to notice this mesmers numbers also aren’t that impressive.

(edited by Terkov.4138)

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Mesmer DPS is bad.

Brazil

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Ranger is totally viable, but a RANGED ranger is not (even if it sounds strange). You can have a longbow as a burst weapon, but you have to swap back to your sword after barrage, hunter’s shot and rapid fire or else you’d be losing A LOT on dps. Pets aren’t a problem, they hit hard and they do not die so often if you know how to manage them! Sword/WH ranger is one of the best DPS classes out there, but you have no other build choice. That’s it :\

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/86111-questions-about-ranger-viability/#entry2241074

A Ranger with Bow and Axe/Warhorn is properly the easiest to play and totally fine in open PvE however you may not be very welcomed in dungeon groups.
Warrior and Guardian are also played rather straight-forward.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

ScottTheWanderer.4716

Currently I’m using shortbow and s/d and it’s really fun. I feel like using a greatsword kind of defeats the purpose of the ranger (still not really sure why they even have it to be honest). I still want anet to give rangers staves and make them more of a ritualist but that’s another topic…

For casual playing, I loved my guardian. It gave me a feel for the game without taking too much time to figure it out or strategize. But it didn’t take long before I got bored of mindlessly killing everybody and wanted more of a challenge profession. Warriors are also really fun to play, for me mostly from the fact that they have so many weapons to choose from. They hit about the same or higher as guardians but don’t have as much defense (in lower levels at least, I never got far with my warrior).

But also, try every class and see which is right for you. I know I’ve definitely had a few of every profession that I keep making and deleting. But I always come back to ranger (and necro, my main).

But another question – How are rangers in WvW?

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

If you like Bow work, you really need to consider rolling a Warrior, the Warrior LB > Ranger LB in most instances, but especially in those instances where Pet AI is an issue.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

the problem with pets is that people do not like to micro manage them. Most players don’t ever think about telling their pet to return to save them.

The saddest part about a lot of ranger players is that they do not swap pets in combat at all. They just let their pet die and never swap for a full health second pet.

Always… Always swap before your pet is about to die. It will reduce cooldown on the next swap.

I can run a full zerker set and deal great damage and still have my pet do 3k crits with the proper trait lines. 20/30/0/0/20 the secret is to trait for abilities, not stats.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

the problem with pets is that people do not like to micro manage them. Most players don’t ever think about telling their pet to return to save them.

The saddest part about a lot of ranger players is that they do not swap pets in combat at all. They just let their pet die and never swap for a full health second pet.

Always… Always swap before your pet is about to die. It will reduce cooldown on the next swap.

I can run a full zerker set and deal great damage and still have my pet do 3k crits with the proper trait lines. 20/30/0/0/20 the secret is to trait for abilities, not stats.

My issues run deeper. I’ve had pets pull additional targets to me in PvE, targets I’ve never targeted. I’ve swapped my pet and sent him after a target 1000 units away, and a Theif jumps me, so now my pet has to run back to me by that time I’m dead. Pets F2 not functioning when the pet is confused on targets or if the target is moving. Sometimes you get so busy protecting yourself, you don’t have time to manage your pet and they do die, or you’re pet swap may be down so you can’t swap out. Pets are pretty useless in keep work, I mean you can have a Bear up and let it take damage while you’re up on a wall, or you could “guard” an area, but that area tends to be an AoE fest so pets die fast. Zerg fare, unless you’re pet is on passive it is a waste of energy as they die too quickly, heck I die too quickly.

Managing your pet isn’t as easy as saying, manage your pet.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

shift modifiers work wonders.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: gotem.5284

gotem.5284

Not even going to comment about viability…

Coming from WoW and how complex the hunter class was I am so disappointed in Rangers in GW2. The class is so kitten boring to play and you can master this class in less than a day.

If you are looking for a fun class to play I would pick another. At the end of the day this class is really boring.

Maybe I have to try a melee ranger or something but for bows you literally spam auto attack (don’t even do that if you have the auto cast on).

Ranger and Mesmer
Eredon Terrace

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

Not even going to comment about viability…

Coming from WoW and how complex the hunter class was I am so disappointed in Rangers in GW2. The class is so kitten boring to play and you can master this class in less than a day.

If you are looking for a fun class to play I would pick another. At the end of the day this class is really boring.

Maybe I have to try a melee ranger or something but for bows you literally spam auto attack (don’t even do that if you have the auto cast on).

Yeah. You’re not going to get full effectiveness at range only. No class will in a game that rewards melee greater than range while punishing range more than melee. And if you go melee or mix it up with both melee and range it can be quite fun to play.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I ran COE pug just earlier today with a sword/WH ranger. It was super hype even though he wasn’t using Frost Spirit. First pug ranger I’ve ever seen who wasn’t a bearbow.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

The class is so kitten boring to play and you can master this class in less than a day.

That really shows your understanding of the class. People that run around with bows and bears think they’ve mastered the class, but give them a Sword and it’s really game over. They don’t know what to do and laugh at how stupid they think it is because they can’t actually handle it.

Brazil

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

gotem.5284

The class is so kitten boring to play and you can master this class in less than a day.

That really shows your understanding of the class. People that run around with bows and bears think they’ve mastered the class, but give them a Sword and it’s really game over. They don’t know what to do and laugh at how stupid they think it is because they can’t actually handle it.

No, it shows that I came from a game that had DPS rotations while GW2 has none. I tried sword… stop hyping it up like it takes insane amounts of skill because it doesn’t.

I also use jaguar/panther as shown in that Brazil video so nice job being a kittenbag and assuming what I used.

Sword is only harder than bow because of spell queueing that makes character control harder. Which is pretty easy to control but also contains RNG which is why Brazil doesn’t play it (the “stress” he claims of playing it probably comes from RNG of being stuck in a sword attack chain and having to move). So basically sword is “hard” because it’s annoying to play. There is still no DPS rotation. You spam the 1 key and try to control your leap incase you have to move.

I guess pressing 1 key is challenging for you but for me I would like something harder. (See I can be an ahole too)

Ranger and Mesmer
Eredon Terrace

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

The Mexican Cookie.3690

No, it shows that I came from a game that had DPS rotations while GW2 has none. I tried sword… stop hyping it up like it takes insane amounts of skill because it doesn’t.

I also use jaguar/panther as shown in that Brazil video so nice job being a kittenbag and assuming what I used.

Sword is only harder than bow because of spell queueing that makes character control harder. Which is pretty easy to control but also contains RNG which is why Brazil doesn’t play it (the “stress” he claims of playing it probably comes from RNG of being stuck in a sword attack chain and having to move). So basically sword is “hard” because it’s annoying to play. There is still no DPS rotation. You spam the 1 key and try to control your leap incase you have to move.

I guess pressing 1 key is challenging for you but for me I would like something harder. (See I can be an ahole too)

The person you’re quoting, is Brazil.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

gotem.5284

So he can either validate my point or deny it. The only challenge of sword is the games auto queue feature + sword chain. You are still hitting one button. You are just dealing with RNG of queuing up the leap and having to move.

Ranger and Mesmer
Eredon Terrace

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

The Mexican Cookie.3690

So he can either validate my point or deny it. The only challenge of sword is the games auto queue feature + sword chain. You are still hitting one button. You are just dealing with RNG of queuing up the leap and having to move.

He got banned on the forums again. He never claimed it was difficult relative to a different game which may or may not have intricate rotations; he’s stating that due to the auto attack it is a difficult weapon set to master, and has a higher skill floor than any other build/class in THIS game. There is no RNG to using the weapon, it is simply difficult to work with. There are ways to evade even while in the auto attack, and the only reason you’ll get hit is because of your own inability or fail. Saying that you need RNG is just proving your lack of knowledge on the matter.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

gotem.5284

He got banned on the forums again. He never claimed it was difficult relative to a different game which may or may not have intricate rotations; he’s stating that due to the auto attack it is a difficult weapon set to master, and has a higher skill floor than any other build/class in THIS game. There is no RNG to using the weapon, it is simply difficult to work with. There are ways to evade even while in the auto attack, and the only reason you’ll get hit is because of your own inability or fail. Saying that you need RNG is just proving your lack of knowledge on the matter.

We can keep going back and forth between skill and RNG. I’m not though because it will get us no where. I’m sure most people will side with Brazil based on reputation but I would just like to add that he switched out of Ranger due to the “skill” required to play sword. I analyze that as he got sick of the RNG of getting stuck into an auto attack chain and dying.

Edit: If this game could disable auto queue then I would agree with him.

Ranger and Mesmer
Eredon Terrace

(edited by gotem.5284)

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

The Mexican Cookie.3690

We can keep going back and forth between skill and RNG. I’m not though because it will get us no where. I’m sure most people will side with Brazil based on reputation but I would just like to add that he switched out of Ranger due to the “skill” required to play sword. I analyze that as he got sick of the RNG of getting stuck into an auto attack chain and dying.

There is no RNG, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

I guess we’re done here; you clearly have no desire to actually learn the class/build, but would rather make up assumptions to back up your lack of class knowledge. ‘L2P issue’, as they say.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bast Bow.2958

Bast Bow.2958

It’s possible to be of service to your team in dungeons, or in wvw. But it’s a bigger challenge with a ranger compared to other professions.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

ScottTheWanderer.4716

What exactly is RNG? And does sword and dagger really take that much skill to use? It seems relatively straight forward (but maybe that’s because I’m level 8 lol). Maybe I won’t focus on my ranger and stick with my necromancer because I feel like I could be more useful and better with that profession…

But I’m still going to keep my ranger and maybe play it every now and then in case there’s a good update for rangers.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jacks.5367

Jacks.5367

Depending on your idea of useful. Necro, ranger and engineer are pretty much at the lowest tier when running dungeon. Thief is just slightly above them since it has aoe stealth which is useful for some speed run in dungeon.

If you are looking for fun and casual play, explore the world and solo the game, any class is fine. In fact, I will recommend you that. Once you have farm plenty of gold from casual play, you can just create another character that may be on demand, i.e. warrior, guardian, mesmer.

RNG = random number generator. I think typically when people talk about rng is about drop. Like the chances of getting certain item is like 2%. So when you kill a monster, the game will generate 1-100 and only when it roll 1 or 2 then you will get that drop. Something like that.

I don’t really read the above the thread. But here is my advice about ranger. Ranger is easy to play but hard to master. It can deal lots of damage since you and your pet are doing it at the same time. Most of their trait kind of useless or unrelated, you will just end up using a few of those. When you progress further you will understand what I mean. About the utilities skill, this will be depending on your play style so I won’t say they are useless.

However their 2 elites, entangle and spirit of nature, are a bit under power. Spirit of nature maybe slightly useful for support. But trust me on this, when you run in world, you not gonna summon this. When you run in dungeon, it’s probably good to revive your ally but the cast time is too long and it may or may not be able to do what of requires from it since he will get one-shot by the boss unless you trait. But I will leave you to judge since this is my opinion anyway.

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

DPS rotations are hard? Sword attack root is RNG? What is this? Do you even know what any of those words even mean?

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Edit: If this game could disable auto queue then I would agree with him.

Now that I’m unbanned again…

There is no RNG. You have to learn to work with it, and most people can’t / don’t care to learn how. I also just find Warrior (mainly now since I got bored of everything else) the most fun to play, so that’s what I’ve been playing lately. Other classes just don’t interest me anymore and don’t have the soloing ability that Warrior does.

Brazil

Are Rangers Worth It?

in Ranger

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

no, roll a war. theres 1 good ranger in every 1000 rangers.

(edited by pho.9412)