Awesome Trick With 1h Sword!

in Ranger

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

Hey guys, I’m starting up a series of videos that show some neat tricks and tips for Rangers. Basically this is to show some of the neat little things that experienced Rangers learn overtime to the general population of Rangers. I could use some help though!

If you learned any of the intricacies of the Ranger, or any cool trick you don’t see anyone using, please post it below, I’ll include it in my series if it’s good enough!

in Ranger

arrownin.3128

Updated the title so it reflects the actual video ;3

in Ranger

Posted by: Jazenn.7526

Jazenn.7526

A series like this would be awesome, nice vid, I applaud you on your effort, if only I wasn’t so lazy lol. Use some of the tips on the Ranger tips and tricks thread! Good luck! I will watch all of your videos!

in Ranger

arrownin.3128

A series like this would be awesome, nice vid, I applaud you on your effort, if only I wasn’t so lazy lol. Use some of the tips on the Ranger tips and tricks thread! Good luck! I will watch all of your videos!

Wow thanks! That means a ton to me! If anyone has any neat tricks they know on Ranger please tell me, maybe we can make something great?

in Ranger

Posted by: CRrabbit.1284

CRrabbit.1284

I have talked about this trick months ago, BTW sword 1 can be also used same way (1st hit activate the chain, then 2,3 for leap), just little bit more complicated.
Easiest way is to use autohotkey to bind some macro. hope you can make some video for that.

(edited by CRrabbit.1284)

in Ranger

arrownin.3128

I have talked about this trick months ago, BTW sword 1 can be also used same way (1st hit activate the chain, then 2,3 for leap), just little bit more complicated.
Easiest way is to use autohotkey to bind some macro. hope you can make some video for that.

Hrm, well a while back I played Age of Conan, and this sounds a lot to me like comboskipping/combomolding. I did that a ton, so I’ll try doing it in this game with the thing you suggested!

Also, I was thinking, and if you had GS on your alt, you could do this leap with the 1h sword, then do another with the GS skill 3, for crazy distance :P

in Ranger

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

i used to use the sword to escape like that, but i found that it’s not always very reliable since sometimes you’ll roll in a direction other than what you expected (at an angle rather than directly towards the camera).

if you want defense i suggest GS, if you have Auto-targeting off, you can use skill 3 to cover almost the same effective distance as sword #2 in less time (the distance you take to face the enemy, use the skill, look back, and use the skill again, is roughly the same as clicking GS #3 once with no halts in between).

another tip, i like using lightning reflexes with SB #3, it’s like a longer dodge.

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

maybe i just suck but i can’t seem to get it to go backward

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

arrownin.3128

maybe i just suck but i can’t seem to get it to go backward

You can’t activate the skill right away, you gotta wait like a second

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

i used to use the sword to escape like that, but i found that it’s not always very reliable since sometimes you’ll roll in a direction other than what you expected (at an angle rather than directly towards the camera).

Yeah that was the problem I had. I tested it and the quickest I could do the lose target, hit 2, about face, hit 2 again trick made it roughly the same speed as just running away (or towards a target) with signet of the hunt.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Explain-Sword-Root/page/2#post1352421

I think the problem is that in addition to having to stop to about face, hornet sting will pause to throw hornets first before actually leaping back. I’m sure there are people out there more skilled than I am who can do it quicker. But that doesn’t really help make the trick more viable for me. The quicker I tried to do it, the more likely I was to end up jumping in the wrong direction.

if you want defense i suggest GS, if you have Auto-targeting off, you can use skill 3 to cover almost the same effective distance as sword #2 in less time (the distance you take to face the enemy, use the skill, look back, and use the skill again, is roughly the same as clicking GS #3 once with no halts in between).

GS’s #3 will actually take you further – 1100. The sword’s #2/spin/#2 trick takes you about 1000.

You can also hit GS #4 first while disengaging from an opponent and running away. The block lasts 3 sec if you’re moving, and will prevent all melee and projectile damage. That’s 3 sec to point yourself in the right direction, click the ground to clear your target, and hit #3 to swoop away. Just be sure you don’t run into an AOE cripple or chill, as that’ll reduce the distance you swoop.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jazenn.7526

Jazenn.7526

In the case that you don’t have greatsword as one of your weapon sets, and if you don’t value escape as your highest priority in your build, then the sword escape is still acceptable.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wanderer.5471

Wanderer.5471

hey sounds like a good idea for a series, i suggest mining the “little tips and tricks” thread for ideas.

For now i’d like to add something to the above tip: 1. you use hornet skill attack, hit lightning reflexes, and you still have time to about-face and use hornet skill leap for even more ridiculous distance, and you’ll be evading for a lot of it, the ultimate escape. If you switch to GS 3 leap, your enemy will need binoculars to see you…

Anyway the most interesting addendum i believe is that this leap can actually travel further through air than great sword swoop – and i’m talking just the leap portion. This is because GS 3 has two parts to the leap, and the first is shorter. Basically press 2 on sword, go to a ledge and leap off. You will go much, much further than a regular jump, and significantly further than GS 3 – I haven’t done any jumping puzzles since learning this, but there’s bound to be a use for it!

(Though it will be hard to set-up as you need to initiate the primary backroll first of course)