Axe + Longbow Ranger = New God Tier?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

Well I guess after the skill bar there’s gonna be a loooootttt of theorycrafting going down.

Dem attack speed buffs doe.

Stacking might from multiple targets with mainhand axe then switching to rapid fire with 50% decreased cast time + read the wind attack speed increase traited is going to be amazing; will finally be able to play machine gun ranger properly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

axe and longbow dont synergize well so my guess is people in pvp will still stick to lb/gs while gs is for defensive maneuvres.

but i can definitely see a hybrid strength runes build with axe.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

The might on axe has a larger impact on the condi build imo. Will make condis significantly more powerful.

Rapid fire, assuming same damage, at half the time is nice burst.

Read the Wind I didn’t catch what the attack speed buff was, did you catch it?

Signets for everyone is nice.

Not much to help the WvW side of things, but we’ll see what else there is.

in Ranger

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I’m actually, for the first time, considering a setup for open world that does not include a bow.

The new Predatory trait sounds like it would be absolutely vicious. And the changes to axe (“1” skill grants might on each bounce), and Path of Scars…

Sword/Warhorn or Axe in melee and Double Axe or Axe/Warhorn at ranged looks like it’s gonna be my setup in the future.

Then again, Greatsword got some beefy buffs, and Longbow might not be ENTIRELY worthless inside 1000 range now.

But this is coming from a PvE perspective, for the record.

in Ranger

Posted by: Karl McLain

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Read the Wind was a bit truncated, it seems.
In the video: In addition to the arrow velocity, the trait now increases attack speed with a longbow by 10%.

-Karl
(edited for clarity)

(edited by Karl McLain.5604)

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

The might on axe has a larger impact on the condi build imo. Will make condis significantly more powerful.

Rapid fire, assuming same damage, at half the time is nice burst.

Read the Wind I didn’t catch what the attack speed buff was, did you catch it?

Signets for everyone is nice.

Not much to help the WvW side of things, but we’ll see what else there is.

I didn’t catch the exact buff speed either, I’m not sure he specified it to be honest. That probably means it isn’t that significant, maybe 10% or something. But I’d still be happy with that considering the rapid fire cast time reduction too.

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

Read the Wind was a bit truncated, it seems. In addition to the arrow velocity, the trait now increases attack speed with a longbow by 10%.
-Karl

To be honest, I’m happy with that. It’s not overwhelming but it’s not enough to be game-breaking either. Thanks for finally bringing Rangers up to par! I’ve awaited the day we’d be viable with a longbow.

in Ranger

Posted by: livlaender.8790

livlaender.8790

am i dreaming? O.O powerranger might become viable!?

lets see what the other six classes will get

die Gedanken sind frei

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

I’m hoping that the other classes won’t be buffed to quite the same extent as the Ranger, as the Ranger CDI highlighted that really it is this profession that’s lagging the furthest behind, so doing the same for other professions might negate what’s been given to the Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Let’s just hope our new buff to be more in line with other classes isn’t completely undone. “Endure Pain has had its cooldown reduced to 15 seconds.”

in Ranger

Posted by: The Zith.7435

The Zith.7435

My question is this was just an insight of some of the upcoming changes? Did sword get done love too?

Dante El Nazgul – Thief
Ranger, Warrior, Guardian, Ele

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

Sigh, RtW will def be mandatory now

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

Karl I wanna be honest here. Lots of awesome changes for the ranger class. I expected something more about the pets tbh, but after seeing that video I can say I still have a lil bit of faith.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

My question is this was just an insight of some of the upcoming changes? Did sword get done love too?

Sword itself had no changes, but the new GM trait will basically give it a 10% damage boost.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ragnar.3916

Ragnar.3916

the buffs sounds really nice for power ranger finaly.

but it’s all about the damage after this patch.
a s/d thief or a celestial ele will be still a pain on a zerker power ranger build i think

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

Karl, is RtW still limited to longbow and harpoon? Will shortbow benefit from it?

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

the buffs sounds really nice for power ranger finaly.

but it’s all about the damage after this patch.
a s/d thief or a celestial ele will be still a pain on a zerker power ranger build i think

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see what additions, if any, we get to our survivability considering zerker rangers go down faster than…. something that descends very quickly.

More evades or improvements to current evades would tie in pretty nicely.

(edited by Bryzy.2719)

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see what additions, if any, we get to our survivability considering zerker rangers go down faster than a Malaysian airliner.

…ouch.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Posted by: The Zith.7435

The Zith.7435

Sword itself had no changes, but the new GM trait will basically give it a 10% damage boost.

Dante El Nazgul – Thief
Ranger, Warrior, Guardian, Ele

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see what additions, if any, we get to our survivability considering zerker rangers go down faster than a….

…ouch.

Yeah sorry just realised how bad that was cuz it was the only simile I could think of!… edited :/

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

What GM trait for sword?

[edit…] Oh you mean the new MM trait with a melee build. Gotcha.

(edited by Atherakhia.4086)

in Ranger

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

KARL! BE HONEST! THE BM TRAITS CHANGE WAS INSPIRED BY ME! COME ON! xD

my WvW weapon set up is LB/A+H. So in zerg Axe ranger will have perma might and from that a lot i mean in theory over 10 stacks with few AA?

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

my WvW weapon set up is LB/A+H. So in zerg Axe ranger will have perma might and from that a lot i mean in theory over 10 stacks with few AA?

Stop it you’re making me excited and a little bit of pee might come out

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Very likely, specially if you add a sigil of battle, in WvW zerg you’ll get a really good might stack (by yourself), besides you have the axe #3 to trigger the new GM trait, and now you don’t need to get the Signet of Beastmaster to pop SotW + SoS to face enemy zerg.

I can’t wait to use my ranger in WvW again

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: Casey.9687

Casey.9687

so what? signet ranger are now goin to die a little bit more slowly. They wil still be slaughtered in spvp

These are pretty lame for buffs to ranger. Please stop trying to make longbow the rangers main weapon. Its not goin to happen

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Think signet of stone on read the wind builds. This will make power ranger very dangerous.

I’m excited, now to wait until september.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Think signet of stone on read the wind builds. This will make power ranger very dangerous.

I’m excited, now to wait until september.

It’s not too much of a difference between protect me, but will be nice to have.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Well you can run SoS and Protect Me in the same build and not have to trait for either of them. So the dual damage immunity, no trait investment required, is a nice touch.

It seems very similar to the “Warrior Immunity” playstyle. No complaints, I’m excited to use SotW and not have to trait it and finally having a usable longbow, just observations haha.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

If only Intimidation training was adept tier or replacing 1 point minor…

Tbh, does it have ICD? If not then eagle will give us perma cripple on targets… Seems legit.

I’m still a little bit upset that Hunter’s Shot didn’t receive a in-depth look. If it stealthed both you and pet in addition to maybe giving both Ranger and pet a portion of haste (100% movement speed) for the duration that would allow for some serious re-position.

Personally, I’d also further modify Barrage. Instead of steady casted ground ability, let it be quick on-move cast with short cooldown, ground targeted with way shorter duration, but more burst AoE damage and AoE cripple.

I think we still need some kind of “powershot” and defense against melee insta- gapclosers such as Thieves (!) and warriors, possibly D/D eles.

One thing that bothers me is “Sic’ Em!”. Revealed up to 6 seconds. But it’s still extremaly situational skill, shout cancels itself for pet very easily.

Baseline Signets are finally a blast I think.

I believe LB/X MT, LR, SoS + Entangle power builds could reappear

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Let’s just hope our new buff to be more in line with other classes isn’t completely undone. “Endure Pain has had its cooldown reduced to 7,5 seconds. Healing Signet reduces incoming damage by 75%, passive heal reduced by 2%, active heal increased by 100%”

fixed it for you

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I actually think warriors will be toned down as far as the current builds go, but some underused stuff will be buffed. The biggest offender, at least in PvP, is the F1 from longbow. Might stacking is another issue entirely.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Will be interesting to see how the other classes go… I don’t understand Engineers nearly enough to form an oppinion on how their changes look, but judging by their forum they seem happy but not hugely excited like we are :p

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Rym.1469

If Combustive Shot had to at least hit something to proc Cleansing Ire, we could see a shift in warrior meta.

As it stands for now, the hardest foes for LB ranger to beat are both D/D faceroll Ele and Thief in general.

I had an idea to revmap Heal as One into more evasive/kiting healing skill. Let’s say 15-20 sec cd with decent heal and jump backwards similar to Engi’s Acid Bomb but with 800-900 range, maybe cripple removal. For next couple seconds after using this heal, your pet prevents all gapclosers and teleports into your area of, let’s say 300 with a stun.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Will be interesting to see how the other classes go… I don’t understand Engineers nearly enough to form an oppinion on how their changes look, but judging by their forum they seem happy but not hugely excited like we are :p

Well we are through the looking glass at this point so it’s entirely possible some of them either received buffs to underused things and won’t come out more powerful, just more flexible or they actually receive nerfs in an effort to level the playing field so to speak.

Time will tell, but this is probably the first time, in a long time, that I actually suspect Anet won’t “balance” by moving every piece forward 3 spaces when everyone’s at different points on the board and calling it a day.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

If Combustive Shot had to at least hit something to proc Cleansing Ire, we could see a shift in warrior meta.

As it stands for now, the hardest foes for LB ranger to beat are both D/D faceroll Ele and Thief in general.

I had an idea to revmap Heal as One into more evasive/kiting healing skill. Let’s say 15-20 sec cd with decent heal and jump backwards similar to Engi’s Acid Bomb but with 800-900 range, maybe cripple removal. For next couple seconds after using this heal, your pet prevents all gapclosers and teleports into your area of, let’s say 300 with a stun.

to keep things more simple;
Heal as One
CD 18 seconds
Initial Self heal: 7500 + 1.00 x healing power
When struck, stun the enemy for 2 seconds and heal an additional 2000 + 0.25 x healing power.

Simpler, stronger and more flexible (if that stun would work with Moment of Clarity to produce 4 sec stun if traited, even better)

in Ranger

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

LB + Axe/wh is actually my preferred play style! I have two Ranger’s so I approve of these updates.

….. But, even I have to admit, the Rapid Fire is going to be pretty bursty. I guess instead of dodging just a portion of it, you will be able to dodge all of it with the shorter cast time. Only thing I’d add as a suggestion is that stealth should break the channeling as dodging would. Stealthing should be treated as an active form of defense.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Uh, that sounds terribly broken lol. How about it is just considered a survival skill. It would benefit from traited condition cleanse and CD reduction.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I used to run heal as one on my lb/gs zerk. Mainly I had to drop QZ for protect me, but with the changes I could drop SoR for QZ, which would make me pick up heal as one again and I’d take entangle and lyssa runes.

in Ranger

Rym.1469

to keep things more simple;
Heal as One
CD 18 seconds
Initial Self heal: 7500 + 1.00 x healing power
When struck, stun the enemy for 2 seconds and heal an additional 2000 + 0.25 x healing power.

Simpler, stronger and more flexible (if that stun would work with Moment of Clarity to produce 4 sec stun if traited, even better)

That’s okay. But I’d be glad to get even a little bit less healing, but long leap backwards, to maintain decent kiting range.

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Simply amazing! I love the gameplay of Axe/Warhorn and Longbow on Ranger and am so excited to see it get some love. Wonderful improvement! It became a bit weak after celestial/zerker changes. Will be great to pull this build out again!

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

I’m guessing one of the first things many Rangers will be doing is whipping out their full zerker builds, popping on Read the Wind for the 10% attack speed increase, popping quickening zephyr and then hitting rapid fire.

A combined attack speed increase of 60% (RtW + QZ) on top of a 2.5 second normal cast time for rapid fire makes that an unload time of exactly 1 second. Am…am I calculating this correctly or am I missing something (I am pretty tired)? Because this sounds like exactly what I’ve been dreaming of. Timed just right after the longbow knockback skill 4 this could potentially be devastating…

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

I’m guessing one of the first things many Rangers will be doing is whipping out their full zerker builds, popping on Read the Wind for the 10% attack speed increase, popping quickening zephyr and then hitting rapid fire.

A combined attack speed increase of 60% (RtW + QZ) on top of a 2.5 second normal cast time for rapid fire makes that an unload time of exactly 1 second. Am…am I calculating this correctly or am I missing something (I am pretty tired)? Because this sounds like exactly what I’ve been dreaming of. Timed just right after the longbow knockback skill 4 this could potentially be devastating…

add +25% damage from signet of the wild and you get around 12-15k damage in 1.25 seconds to a glassy target @ 1500 range. Enjoy the terror of dealing with that. Sure it will only work every 48 seconds, but that is all you need…

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

add +25% damage from signet of the wild and you get around 12-15k damage in 1.25 seconds to a glassy target @ 1500 range. Enjoy the terror of dealing with that. Sure it will only work every 48 seconds, but that is all you need…

I can almost hear the echoes of “OMFG NEEERRRRFFF” from the other profession forums already.

Well, it does all look delicious on paper but in practice it all may pan out slightly differently than we were expecting. I guess we’ll have to wait and see when the update arrives.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

I can almost hear the echoes of “OMFG NEEERRRRFFF” from the other profession forums already.

Well, it does all look delicious on paper but in practice it all may pan out slightly differently than we were expecting. I guess we’ll have to wait and see when the update arrives.

i have been running glassbow ranger in PvP for weeks now. It works fine. Yes you require some help from time to time. But moment of clarity + LB is just godlike. Now i can equip signets and use THE BEST elite ever…. there is nothing better for a power ranger then entangle (instant CC is always a life saver)… all i need to do is use entangle → LR → rapid fire…. They got nowhere to hide from it, they gotta eat a whole burst. And last but not least, i get a much much much better survival rate. Mainly because i get passive healing from signet.

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

In all honesty, I had actually uninstalled GW2 because I was fed up with being stuck in the Apothecary regen/condi bunker build, though that’s more my inability to adapt to different playstyles. I like to get good at one build and stick to it. But I got bored, and the only prof I wanted to play was Ranger, and it was just shunned in so many other aspects of the game that I just gave the whole game up. I’ve been checking the forums pretty regularly for signs of balance news, and today seeing that ready-up has made me re-install the game. Cannot wait for this update.

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

i have been running glassbow ranger in PvP for weeks now. It works fine. Yes you require some help from time to time. But moment of clarity + LB is just godlike. Now i can equip signets and use THE BEST elite ever…. there is nothing better for a power ranger then entangle (instant CC is always a life saver)… all i need to do is use entangle -> LR -> rapid fire…. They got nowhere to hide from it, they gotta eat a whole burst. And last but not least, i get a much much much better survival rate. Mainly because i get passive healing from signet.

inb4 reflect and you eat the burst instead

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

i have been running glassbow ranger in PvP for weeks now. It works fine. Yes you require some help from time to time. But moment of clarity + LB is just godlike. Now i can equip signets and use THE BEST elite ever…. there is nothing better for a power ranger then entangle (instant CC is always a life saver)… all i need to do is use entangle -> LR -> rapid fire…. They got nowhere to hide from it, they gotta eat a whole burst. And last but not least, i get a much much much better survival rate. Mainly because i get passive healing from signet.

Lols, I’ve seen some mesmers talking about keeping Feedback in their utilities specifically to deal with this… but god they’ll have to time it exactly right because if we can spec for a rapid fire burst of around 1 second then it’s gonna be brutal

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

Lols, I’ve seen some mesmers talking about keeping Feedback in their utilities specifically to deal with this… but god they’ll have to time it exactly right because if we can spec for a rapid fire burst of around 1 second then it’s gonna be brutal

Yeah it will be hard to do, but I have seen so many rangers just completely ignore the fact they are literally shooting themselves in face and are simply determined to finish that rapid fire. There will be plenty of the bad cannon fodder rangers to make those mesmers laugh. Not just mesmer either, but when I play staff ele in wvw, magnetic aura always catches tons of rangers off guard. Idk what it is, but it’s always arrows hitting me when I have the reflect up, never spells, something about rangers attracts players who never cancel their skills, and just auto attack no matter what =p

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

(edited by warriorjrd.8695)

in Ranger

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

I’m hoping that the other classes won’t be buffed to quite the same extent as the Ranger, as the Ranger CDI highlighted that really it is this profession that’s lagging the furthest behind, so doing the same for other professions might negate what’s been given to the Ranger.

Lagging furthest behind… MESMER SAYS HI!

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

Am I the only one who feels that Heal As One only needs small changes like 1s cast time and Survival Skill status?