Axe builds? anything fun and viable?

in Ranger

Posted by: Methal.9045

Methal.9045

As I recall, ax main hand was the first wep we get exposed to upon starting a ranger, I remember it being very underwhelming and down right off putting.
1h sword was like eating a sour candy you expected to be sweet…after a while you got a taste for it.

Running sword/axe/horn with short bow off right now.

I was thinking about revisiting the axe main hand horn off or something build and was wondering if anyone has been rolling with that who could point me in the right direction.

Plus what are your thoughts on it?>

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

I think mainhand axe is pretty awesome on a Rabid trap build running Sigil of Earth and Sharpened Edges.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

For what area of play?

in Ranger

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

IMO it performs OK with multiple targets but it’s kind of weak vs 1. It’s really a power/condi hybrid weapon too, which also restricts its use.

downed state is bad for PVP

in Ranger

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

axe mh is amazing… mainly because of #3, if you setup your char correctly you can perma chill/ weakness your opponent making them absolutely miserable. Axe 2 is great burst in condi set-ups coupled with geomancy sigil…

Has decent physical damage which has made carrion/ celest builds more popular.

It crushes bunkers in the right hands. Well rounded offensive weapon indeed.

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

For PvP: useful in condi/hybrid builds.
For PvE: I’d sooner see bows used than axe mh.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Main hand axe is great for trash mobs in pve. It is better than the lb in some situations even on Bosses (boss with multiple hit boxes).

Couple with the fact if you using any build that has effect that trigger on crit each attack has up to 3 chances to crit. Great for things like Compain’s might. People always complain about the low damage on axe main hand, I do’t see it as I crit for about 2k give or take 100. Considering that my crit chance is 50% or above, its not on common to get two crits.

My main weapon set are a trade between s/a or a/a depending on the encounter.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jana von Ritterstein.6371

Jana von Ritterstein.6371

Hi,

so as I understand, axe number 1 attack counts as 3 attacks? Each hit can trigger crit?

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Yes , but keep in mind that most of the on crit effect have cd’s. So a Fire sigil won’t trigger 3 times if all 3 attacks crit, as it has a cd.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jana von Ritterstein.6371

Jana von Ritterstein.6371

That`s nice, isn`t it? I don`t know why I thought that crit will be activated only with the first strike. I am new to ranger, it`s my second char after ele and I don`t like mechanic of sword so that`s why I took axe. Thank you for info.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Damage is poor unless you can bounce 2-3 times but if you are zerging the 3 shot richochet is almost a given, so thats fine. yes, it pretty much guarantees that most “on-crit” effects fire off when the cd is up, assuming you have a somewhat decent crit chance.

It has decent utility with the chill/weakness and a great up close cone attack that pierces to round it making it a really fun in large scale wvw.

Just wish there was a trait to increase range but after disliking axe for the longest time Ive actually grown fond of it.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I use axe MH for general PvE and for zerg/medium group WvW attacks.
Fire and Air sigils gives a good damage and works kinda like AoE for the ranger, also the extra 150 ferocity from Honed Axes helps a lot with axe #4, in mid zerg a path of scar with tons of might, that extra 10% crit damage DO counts.

In dungeons I keep my mh axe but I use a GS in my other set for bosses, but the axe against occasional trash mob is great, I know a sword would be better than GS, but I just can’t get to like it, I think that GS is an overall better weapon (not stronger, better)

Besides all that, it is a 900 range weapon, only LB can go further and you can use the off hand as you like, extra dodge, fire field, blast + booms, interrupt + reflect, you call it.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

It’s a hybrid weapon so you want more of a hybrid build.

Try this. its good for tagging in wvw. it can also duel some of the mediocre dueling classes (might have trouble against top stuff like PU)

It has good escape (sword 2) and engage (axes and axe 4)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQRAnX8fjMq0yaHLGsw1aAGhqZIUrMD3Awd5OCLdKzqCV9A-TlSBABPt/QjKBf4gAExDAoMlfpohBP9DYq+zCHBAAOBAECQ3YA-w

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I usually use something like this. Cheap food and cheap runes Easy to squash most WvW builds. You are weak to enemies who will turn your conditions or bomb you with them.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNUQRAnY8fjMqUxaDLurw1aA/AZdhALa3LWNXVzYlUq9A-TViHABCcSAGU9niUSBhGGAeCAmpfwOlgGpcBk9HCAgAMzysMLzglrclrclrcm5Mn5Mn5MLFgfSjA-w

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

axe mh is amazing… mainly because of #3, if you setup your char correctly you can perma chill/ weakness your opponent making them absolutely miserable. Axe 2 is great burst in condi set-ups coupled with geomancy sigil…

Has decent physical damage which has made carrion/ celest builds more popular.

It crushes bunkers in the right hands. Well rounded offensive weapon indeed.

Gimme a power build with an Axe and whatever else works best.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

its perfect for those reasons you listedmaybe not the turrets as some engi build regen those turrets so it would need burst vs those turret builds.
its a main hand Aoe weapon for group fights from a safe distance too, unlike other cone/wave attacks guard staff ect are only 1 step away from being in melee range, without the option to back off or repostion withotu having to dodge.

the axe can be any stat you want as long , you play for the axe style of , damage and control vs groups.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kirby.9138

Kirby.9138

I really dislike the sword MH, can I use maybe.. Axe/D+Shortbow? Or is Axe/D+Sword/X the bees knees.

I’ll use the sword if I have to, and it’s a nice evade on the 3 but I really can’t say I like the other abilities. Not in love with the shortbow either but seems like that’s rangers only option with an axe