[BUG] Call of the Wild doesn't work properly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Idolicious.6091

Idolicious.6091

Call of the Wild still acts like an offensive spell instead of something like a shout (for ex., “For Great Justice” since it is basically a version of FGJ minus a few might stacks), or simply a non-targeted spell.

Meaning, if you have auto-targeting enabled, and cast Call of the Wild (even without a target selected), it will select one automatically, your pet will engage and you will start attacking said target as well, if in range.

Call of the Wild should not behave like this. It’s a party buff, why on earth is it auto-targeting an enemy and engaging my pet when I use it…? It does no damage, it doesn’t apply conditions or effects…it simply buffs the party with boons. And it needs to be fixed. It can cause all sorts of [agro] issues in dungeons and other group content if you aren’t aware of it’s bugged behavior.

This issue exists whether you spec Off-Hand Training or not.

P.S. Please don’t tell me to disable auto-targeting. That is not a solution. Proper fixing of the skill is. I’m not going to disable auto-targeting just to make 1 skill work properly.

(edited by Idolicious.6091)

in Ranger

Posted by: DaisyRogers.6837

DaisyRogers.6837

another work around is to set your pet on passive and use f1 to send the pet after targets you actually want.

in Ranger

Idolicious.6091

another work around is to set your pet on passive and use f1 to send the pet after targets you actually want.

This does work. It’s just a hassle to either keep switching the pet from passive/aggressive or to leave him on passive and spam F1.

I think all horn-using dungeon-runners out there would appreciate a fix since I’m sure it couldn’t be a hard issue to sort out..?

in Ranger

Idolicious.6091

Issue still exists.

Any update a.net? Big patch around the corner.

in Ranger

Posted by: Omega.1473

Omega.1473

Serious question: Do any “weapon skills” NOT work like this? I can’t think of one. Warhorn on Warriors also has the red target bar under it. I think this may be a problem with the way all weapon skills are set up and I’m not so sure this would actually be an easy fix.

To the issue at hand though, why do you not have your pet on passive when traveling anyway? I’m sorry, but that’s “Ranger-101”. Its way too easy for your pet to get pegged with an attack and go off retaliating, officially screwing yourself and your team. You’ve gotta keep that pet on the leash, and complaining about it being a “hassle” is not a valid excuse. If I forgot to swap him to passive and he goes off after the nearest enemy after a single arrow was fired my way or after I use a “weapon skill”, its my fault, not the game’s.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Serious question: Do any “weapon skills” NOT work like this? I can’t think of one. Warhorn on Warriors also has the red target bar under it. I think this may be a problem with the way all weapon skills are set up and I’m not so sure this would actually be an easy fix.

To the issue at hand though, why do you not have your pet on passive when traveling anyway? I’m sorry, but that’s “Ranger-101”. Its way too easy for your pet to get pegged with an attack and go off retaliating, officially screwing yourself and your team. You’ve gotta keep that pet on the leash, and complaining about it being a “hassle” is not a valid excuse. If I forgot to swap him to passive and he goes off after the nearest enemy after a single arrow was fired my way or after I use a “weapon skill”, its my fault, not the game’s.

The red bar is a universal indicator of range for skills. Since the horn buffs consider allies as targets, they will take them into account. Just don’t let it off near an enemy npc that you are trying to run past or it will consider it an attack and put you in combat mode. It’s the same for neutral wildlife.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I honestly don’t see how this matters. At worst, you cast this and just hit your hotkey to have your pet to come back to you immediately afterwards. Considering the other bugs in this game, this is probably near dead last in priority.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

P.S. Please don’t tell me to disable auto-targeting. That is not a solution. Proper fixing of the skill is. I’m not going to disable auto-targeting just to make 1 skill work properly.

The Greatsword is clearly not your weapon of choice

Auto-targeting causes significant problems with various skills in the game, for multiple professions. I strongly suggest you turn this feature off. A perfect example for Rangers is GS3 (Swoop), one of the best escape skills in the game that DOES NOT WORK with auto-target enabled. I don’t use Sword due to the annoying root bug, but I believe the same holds true for the Monarch’s Leap escape on Sword2 (dash back with Hornet Sting, cancel target, rotate 180, dash again with Monarch’s Leap).

EDIT: Wrong choice of wording. It isn’t that auto-target causes problems, it’s just that turning it off is a clever way of turning gap closers into excellent escape skills. You can choose a direction of escape without being drawn to the closest target.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

(edited by Daemon.4295)

in Ranger

Idolicious.6091

Regardless of my pet, my CHARACTER will attack said target as well. And to anyone that’s wondering, yes in dungeons I keep the pet on passive, and usually agressive in the open world, besides Orr. It still does not keep my character from tossing an axe at the closest enemy when I use Call of the Wild.

I honestly don’t see how this matters. At worst, you cast this and just hit your hotkey to have your pet to come back to you immediately afterwards. Considering the other bugs in this game, this is probably near dead last in priority.

Because it’s not just the pet that attacks – it’s your character. Like I said in the OP, the pet will attack the closest target, as will I (when auto-attack is enabled).

I guess what I don’t understand is why these “buffing” type skills can’t just be programmed to not target anything…half the time I use CotW it’s just for myself anyways (running around). Disabling auto-attack is a complete band-aid fix for these types of gameplay issues – and I see it recommended all the time on this forum regarding getting poorly-programmed skills to function somewhat appropriately.

in Ranger

Idolicious.6091

Auto-targeting causes significant problems with various skills in the game, for multiple professions. I strongly suggest you turn this feature off. A perfect example for Rangers is GS3 (Swoop), one of the best escape skills in the game that DOES NOT WORK with auto-target enabled. I don’t use Sword due to the annoying root bug, but I believe the same holds true for the Monarch’s Leap escape on Sword2 (dash back with Hornet Sting, cancel target, rotate 180, dash again with Monarch’s Leap).

EDIT: Wrong choice of wording. It isn’t that auto-target causes problems, it’s just that turning it off is a clever way of turning gap closers into excellent escape skills. You can choose a direction of escape without being drawn to the closest target.

Haha, I’d love to use GS more actually, but the relatively low damage even in full (or close to) glass cannon gear just turns me off. Also, though not of ridiculous importance, the damage tooltips are off on the GS – it states that #3 hits much harder than #2, which is just bogus. Though I always keep a GS in my bag for those annoying mounds and other objects that my arrows or axe just can’t seem to hit…somehow obstructed..lol. This could have been fixed in today’s patch, I think I read something about melee weapon targeting against objects was tweaked, though I don’t know if that will affect my bow or axe since they clearly aren’t melee. Hopefully I won’t have to circle-strafe with my Hammer Warrior to hit mounds and stuff though. :P

The arguments go both ways for Ranger Sword #1 and how auto-attack messes up dodging, etc. (that is actually only part of the reason, the other being uninterruptible animations/“animation-lock”). I don’t use Sword because of this, though I probably would if it worked “better.”

All in all, I don’t actually think the root cause of these types of issues is the actual auto-attack function. It’s the way they programmed some of these skills and how they interact (in which some shouldn’t, but do) with enemies, npcs, objects, etc. This Call of the Wild bug is a really good example of that – there is absolutely no reason it should target any mobs because it is a “party buff,” yet it does. Changing the actual skill mechanic to not target enemy mobs would be a much more valid fix than simply disabling the auto-attack. Will it ever happen? Who knows.

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

Call of the Wild still acts like an offensive spell instead of something like a shout (for ex., “For Great Justice” since it is basically a version of FGJ minus a few might stacks), or simply a non-targeted spell.

Meaning, if you have auto-targeting enabled, and cast Call of the Wild (even without a target selected), it will select one automatically, your pet will engage and you will start attacking said target as well, if in range.

For Great Justice does the same thing. If you have a ranged weapon equipped, have auto-target on, and are within range of an attackable mob when you use the shout, you will start autoattacking. If you have auto-target off, but have a mob within range targeted, and use the shout, you will start autoattacking as well.

So it’s a bug with all buff-only skills, not just warhorn 5.

in Ranger

Posted by: capuchinseven.8395

capuchinseven.8395

If you’re running the game with auto attack enabled you’re doing it wrong.

The bravest animal in the land is Captain Beaky and his band.

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

Haha, I’d love to use GS more actually, but the relatively low damage even in full (or close to) glass cannon gear just turns me off. Also, though not of ridiculous importance, the damage tooltips are off on the GS – it states that #3 hits much harder than #2, which is just bogus. Though I always keep a GS in my bag for those annoying mounds and other objects that my arrows or axe just can’t seem to hit…somehow obstructed..lol. This could have been fixed in today’s patch, I think I read something about melee weapon targeting against objects was tweaked, though I don’t know if that will affect my bow or axe since they clearly aren’t melee. Hopefully I won’t have to circle-strafe with my Hammer Warrior to hit mounds and stuff though. :P

The arguments go both ways for Ranger Sword #1 and how auto-attack messes up dodging, etc. (that is actually only part of the reason, the other being uninterruptible animations/“animation-lock”). I don’t use Sword because of this, though I probably would if it worked “better.”

All in all, I don’t actually think the root cause of these types of issues is the actual auto-attack function. It’s the way they programmed some of these skills and how they interact (in which some shouldn’t, but do) with enemies, npcs, objects, etc. This Call of the Wild bug is a really good example of that – there is absolutely no reason it should target any mobs because it is a “party buff,” yet it does. Changing the actual skill mechanic to not target enemy mobs would be a much more valid fix than simply disabling the auto-attack. Will it ever happen? Who knows.

I keep GS on me at all times as a secondary weapon in WvW, but the only time I ever use it for damage is to chase down an opponent that is close to death and fleeing. Other that that its sole purpose is to keep me alive, its damage is too gimp to ever be worth using offensively.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Idolicious.6091

So “doing it right” then, is to disable auto-attack in an attempt to make buggy skills not as buggy, vs. reporting issues and getting devs to actually fixing them properly?*

I’m pretty sure YOU’RE doing it wrong. Thanks for trolling, though, but try harder next time.

*Realizes with A.Nets track record of late, it may take another 6 months for a fix, if ever. But it is still the proper way to do things. Band-aids are band-aids, and disabling auto-attack is a band-aid, not a fix. Issues don’t get solved that way.

in Ranger

Idolicious.6091

For Great Justice does the same thing.
<snip>
So it’s a bug with all buff-only skills, not just warhorn 5.

Good info, thanks for adding this!

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

So “doing it right” then, is to disable auto-attack in an attempt to make buggy skills not as buggy, vs. reporting issues and getting devs to actually fixing them properly?*

I’m pretty sure YOU’RE doing it wrong. Thanks for trolling, though, but try harder next time.

*Realizes with A.Nets track record of late, it may take another 6 months for a fix, if ever. But it is still the proper way to do things. Band-aids are band-aids, and disabling auto-attack is a band-aid, not a fix. Issues don’t get solved that way.

I’m sorry that you can’t take disagreement without assuming it’s trolling, I think it’s probably best if we don’t talk about this anymore because you clearly seem to get annoyed over it. Enjoy your autoattack.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dorian Teal.1203

Dorian Teal.1203

Set f1 to mouse scroll wheel click. Keep that pet passive, and you’ll be sending it in without a second thought after 5 minutes. No more bad aggro (except for f2 buff skills)

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

Actually he’s right. You need to turn off auto-attack not to make bugged skills less buggy, but to be able to use gap closers as escape skills. If you have auto-target on, then you are not able to use Sword 2 and GS 3 to flee from combat.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Geshque.1326

Geshque.1326

Thats not the major problem we have. So dont kittening expect it to we fixed ever.

in Ranger

Idolicious.6091

I’m sorry that you can’t take disagreement without assuming it’s trolling, I think it’s probably best if we don’t talk about this anymore because you clearly seem to get annoyed over it. Enjoy your autoattack.

No – I can take disagreement just fine, however I do recognize you from other threads (such as ones covering Ranger Sword) where your advice is always to suck it up and disable auto-attack. That isn’t a solution. It’s a band-aid fix. I didn’t say it doesn’t work. I said it’s not a proper fix, what do you not understand about that?

And leaving one-sentence comments “auto-attack disabled or you’re doing it wrong” is trolling. Are you going to sit there and seriously say that it is not? Get out of here, bro. You have nothing to add to this conversation, clearly.

Actually he’s right. You need to turn off auto-attack not to make bugged skills less buggy, but to be able to use gap closers as escape skills. If you have auto-target on, then you are not able to use Sword 2 and GS 3 to flee from combat.

Actually he’s not. I don’t even use a Sword and I only use GS on static objects and only when necessary. This is not a PvP-centric thread, and I didn’t really come here to ask people’s advice on auto-attack or anything else…I came to report an issue.

But sure guys, keep telling me that the proper way to go about this is not to fix the issue at hand, and to just disable auto-attack. I’m sure the 5001st time I hear it, I may just do it…I guess I’ll stop reporting bugs at the same time too.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lunchbox.9543

Lunchbox.9543

Regardless of my pet, my CHARACTER will attack said target as well

If this is such a problem to your gameplay and style, switch off auto-targetting in your options (this is helpful for many other reasons on the ranger as well). This will allow you to use skills without your pet rushing off to attack things, and will allow you to use your greatsword leap skill as an escape / dodge method.

“I’m doing good in the game, so I’m doing good in life!”
Charlie

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

Actually he’s not..

Just so we’re clear, because you seem to get really worked up over this and seem very insistent that you’re right, auto attack and auto target were added into the game as an aid.

Most classes disable both or one of auto target and auto attack the same way people turn of traction control on a track, it’s an aid, nothing more and it will hold you back. It’s why in some areas you can turn off auto attack for one weapon set and leave it on for another.

Please, feel free to keep posting in bold, it’s a well known fact it makes you right.

(edited by capuchinseven.8395)

in Ranger

Idolicious.6091

Just so we’re clear, because you seem to get really worked up over this and seem very insistent that you’re right, auto attack and auto target were added into the game as an aid.

Most classes disable both or one of auto target and auto attack the same way people turn of traction control on a track, it’s an aid, nothing more and it will hold you back. It’s why in some areas you can turn off auto attack for one weapon set and leave it on for another.

Please, feel free to keep posting in bold, it’s a well known fact it makes you right.

And your point is…what, exactly? I know how Auto-Attack works and why it exists.

You don’t get it. This isn’t my first MMO, btw, and I have never used any kind of Auto-Attack in any other game (as it’s usually not even a feature).

Do you not understand that I am here to report a bug? I guess you don’t. Must be an extremely hard concept to wrap your brain around. My comments towards you are “turning off Auto-Attack is not a fix.” Which is true. A ‘fix’ would be the proper functionality of the skill (apparently all buff-type skills have this issue).

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE YET?

There, I bolded and capitalized that one just for you. Though I somehow doubt that’ll help you distinguish a bug thread from a complain thread about Auto-Attack mechanics or whatever you think this is.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

This does work. It’s just a hassle to either keep switching the pet from passive/aggressive or to leave him on passive and spam F1.

I think all horn-using dungeon-runners out there would appreciate a fix since I’m sure it couldn’t be a hard issue to sort out..?

I run warhorn and don’t have this issue. I’m sure I’ll just get called a troll again but it’s true. Turn off autotargeting? Had you tried that? It’s well know. That ranger skill cap is highly dependent on settings, keybindings, and the user’s ability to micro.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: HappyHubris.1096

HappyHubris.1096

Workarounds should not become part of the long term “skill cap”.

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

And your point is…what, exactly? I know how Auto-Attack works and why it exists.

You don’t get it. This isn’t my first MMO, btw, and I have never used any kind of Auto-Attack in any other game (as it’s usually not even a feature).

Do you not understand that I am here to report a bug? I guess you don’t. Must be an extremely hard concept to wrap your brain around. My comments towards you are “turning off Auto-Attack is not a fix.” Which is true. A ‘fix’ would be the proper functionality of the skill (apparently all buff-type skills have this issue).

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE YET?

There, I bolded and capitalized that one just for you. Though I somehow doubt that’ll help you distinguish a bug thread from a complain thread about Auto-Attack mechanics or whatever you think this is.

If you want to report a bug, use the Ranger Bug List sticky. I don’t think it’s a bug though, as far as I’ve seen this is just faulty weapon skill mechanics that have been complained about many times before, mainly due to line-of-sight and obstruction issues with skills like Hunter’s Call.

Other players are suggesting that you turn off auto-target because it gives you more control over your weapons, and allows you to utilize certain offensive skills defensively (like GS3 and Sword2). It will likely improve your gameplay, and at the same time resolve the issue you’re having with Call of the Wild. It’s like you’re driving a race-car with automatic transmission around a racetrack and complaining about auto-shifting mechanics.

I don’t feel the same way about auto-attack, which would probably also solve your problem with Call of the Wild. I have no intention of mashing my 1 key thousands of times a day and no weapon should require that to be viable. Obviously I’m referring to the sword root issue here, which can’t be resolved by turning off auto-target and is a much bigger problem.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

For completeness, I’ll add that Call of the Wild can be blocked (not matter what auto-attack you have). So if you see a mob blocking and decide to use this buffing skill you might still get dazed by a block response, for example. It would be interesting to know if it triggered confusion and other shield/combat response effects.