Basic all around ranger build?

in Ranger

Posted by: Werewolf.6921

Werewolf.6921

I just hit 80 with my ranger. Is there a good basic all around ranger build that I could use in open world and dungeons?

in Ranger

Posted by: Methal.9045

Methal.9045

I go longbow, and sword / horn for most everything.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Longbow & Greatsword with berserker gear. Slot whatever traits and utilities meet your needs.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kerivek.5740

Kerivek.5740

I would second the LB + GS build with Berserker or Marauder gear. I prefer Marauder because I like to WvW but if you only plan to PvE Berserker is the better choice.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

if ya want somthing unquie go full vyper gear , useful for raids ,open world and small skirmish wvw.

in Ranger

Posted by: Werewolf.6921

Werewolf.6921

Cool. Thanks everyone

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

i third the longbow/great sword. i also prefer Marauder gear.

If you unlock druid, any combination of GS, LB and staff make for a great combination

in Ranger

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

you mention all around then you need to go viper stats on all gear that extends to raids pve and dungeon and WvW you just need to change your utilities, im sure youll figure them out depending on your playstyle.

Weapons primary use / secondary

Shortbow – condition/dmg
Sword – Dmg / condition
LB – Dmg
GS – Dmg
Warhorn – Utility
Dagger – Condition / Dmg
Torch – Condition
Axe main – Condition/ dmg
Axe off hand – Dmg

Success is my only option, failure is not.

in Ranger

Posted by: Parlance.9584

Parlance.9584

Im surprised about how many Rangers go LB/GS or any power build really.
I’ve tried it out and it falls behind in every situation compared to using a condition build.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

I’ve tried it out and it falls behind in every situation compared to using a condition build.

Rangers have the least power coefficients for skills of any class and will have the least tooltip numbers. This is to compensate for pet damage. What Power Rangers can do well though is short periods of burst using Sword/LB/Warhorn + Pet F2 (Bristleback/Smokescale/Tiger) while under quickness, a boon that Rangers have good access to through Beast Mastery (and utility if need be), doubled up on if you use “We Heal as One!”. You can also get 25 Might easily with “Strength of the Pack!” and muti-hit attacks from yourself and pet and using shout heal.

Condition builds are not limited by these coefficients and so do a lot more over time, in comparison.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in Ranger

Posted by: Adenin.5973

Adenin.5973

Try this build. Pretty nice damage, tons of survivability.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAV3fjEqQNLWyCurAVLWMEM4s6YNtyEAGdlumOQwqFUiwTB-TxRFQBA4JAkgLCQ70NMSlg9T9nUs/QDV+BA-e

- far more damage than any power ranger build I have tested, in fact far more damage than with the power builds of many classes
– 2 Stunbreaks
– 4 × 2 condition removal + 1 × 13 condition removal (celestial avatar)
– perma fury
– 13 seconds of fire combo fields
– permanent + 33% movement speed through druid trait wihtout doing anything
– Every utility skill (except one) including your heal has 20% cd reduction
– 20% faster endurance regeneration
– excellent healing abilities for yourself, and some heal for your allies
– if you area stun enemies (druid skill 3) and then hit them with an aoe skill (druid 5) you get the exact same effect as with standard entaglement (elite)
– good breakbar damage
– tons of cripple and immobilize (soft cc)
– conditions can be applied pretty quick
– very easy ‘rotation’, very forgiving if you make mistakes

Only negatives I can find are:
- Might stacking is a bit lacking, axe auto attak (don’t do this) on multiple enemies, as well as using druid 3 to blast your own fire fields or using jungle stalkers command skill could help. BUT: If you are in a group that is might stacking your damage goes insanely up.
- You should try to attack from the back or sides of your enemy

As an added bonus (this is of course true for every ranger) you can solo many of the champion enemies in this game through your pet. If you’re planning on doing the HoT HPs, there is no better class for soloing all of them (except one or two) than a condi ranger.

My favourite build out there.

If you want to raid you should go for beastmastery instead of druid for the max damage.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

He said open world and dungeons, where power does better than condi. Condis won’t have time to tick on open world meta enemies or dungeon bosses.

Also LB makes all of open world relaxing like driving a Caddy… can effortlessly solo all but like 2 HoT HPs.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I don’t know, Rangers can put out a decent stack of condies in a short time and between low cooldowns and so many sources its not that bad for open world. It also has more aoe then power builds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Yeah, but then again, open world and a fair number of dungeons deal with inanimate objects that are still immune to condition damage. That annoyance starts to become a hindrance if one were to share similar preferences with the OP of just doing open-world and dungeons.

And even though condition Ranger can stack up conditions rather well with relatively short cooldowns, its mobility is low. GS/LB helps out a lot in those cases, especially when trying to make it to events where waypoints become contested.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Parlance.9584

Parlance.9584

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJAVRnUqAtrgdrA2sCUtglEBjZBUu+cPBgVwMDuq2VHrlMsxA

I recently started using that with full Viper’s armor. I realize condition and GS arent popular together but this gets the job done. It has a large amount of CC and covers all methods of combat + mobility. I can basically run into any amount of enemies and have no issue killing them.

This is basically just the meta SB / A-T build that people are using with a couple of edits. GS is way more fun than A-T imo.

in Ranger

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

Raids or fractals – conditions (see qtfy.eu)
PvP or WvW – Shout bow (see metabattle).

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!