Be a Ranger, not an archer

in Ranger

Posted by: djunior.4187

djunior.4187

Grab a sword, share your spotter and plant your traited frost spirit.
Please.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sumusikoo.1360

Sumusikoo.1360

GO GO POWER RANGERS

in Ranger

Posted by: Scott.7163

Scott.7163

I always run Frost Spotter, and just earlier today I was doing CoF with a PUG and halfway through one of the party sent me 10 gold merely because I was running Frost Spotter.

Frost Spotter earns you more money, confirmed.

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

I always run Bear Bow, and just earlier today I was doing CoF with a PUG and halfway through one of the party sent me 20 gold merely because I was running Bear Bow.

Bear Bow earns you more money, confirmed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lace.9472

Lace.9472

AN don’t even need to dictate how we play anymore. The community do it for us!

#BurnYourBows

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

AN don’t even need to dictate how we play anymore. The community do it for us!

#BurnYourBows

#BurnYourBear
#BreakYourBow
#EquipASword
Amidoingrite?

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

Yesterday i suffered being in a party with a bearbow. Why oh why do bearbows feel the need to point blank shot everytime its off cooldown :/

Please rangers. We urge you to grab a sword!

in Ranger

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

sss is not like a ranger its more like a disillusioned, violent and kittened off druid.

I like it c:

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

While I also play with Sword/Warhorn, Greatsword. I don’t appreciate the fact that this game is so broken, that group play penalizes ranged combat. It is very unnatural. Of course I like the fact it is possible to go melee with my ranger. But don’t make it better in EVERY single way – well maybe huge zerg events favor ranged – not because the damage is better (of course not) but be cause the telegraphed moves aren’t visible due to cluttered screen with a kittenload of effects.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Ranger

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

no

Message Body length must at least be 15.

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I don’t appreciate the fact that this game is so broken, that group play penalizes ranged combat.

It’s not broken, it’s too easy. The concept is melee is riskier and thus has to do more damage. Ranged is easier, so it has to do less damage. If ranged did as much damage as melee, there would be no point in melee.

The problem is that content hard enough to force good players out of melee is going to be absolutely unplayable for 99% of the population. You’ll wind up with a dungeon that almost no one runs.

In a similar way, the aetherblade path took a stab at changing up a typical dungeon run, succeeded, and now no one will run it.

Edit: I’ll also add, forcing good players or even mediocre players to range is just as restrictive as forcing every one to melee. Maybe even more so since most of the interesting build choices are a lot more fun than ranged one. Compare staff ele to dagger/dagger ele, or a poor guardian forced to stay in scepter.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

djunior.4187

I’m talking about pve group play, mostly.
Nobody needs a solo player in dungeon runs.
SHARE stuff! Ranger, while being one, has tons of group assists.
Bearbow archers don’t even share spotter!

I don’t care how you do your daily alone but people should know why rangers are hated so much in game. It’s because of bad players, not because of ranger mechanics.

#nobearbowsindungeon

in Ranger

Posted by: Sumusikoo.1360

Sumusikoo.1360

I do far more damage with LB than with GS infact I only use GS to run away or to catch up..

Why are people saying ranger does more damage? I can dish out a full 20k burst with long bow with rapid fire while with GS I’m lucky if I get a 2-4k crit with the second skill

in Ranger

djunior.4187

I don’t appreciate the fact that this game is so broken, that group play penalizes ranged combat.

In a similar way, the aetherblade path took a stab at changing up a typical dungeon run, succeeded, and now no one will run it.

I believe thats because you can get tons of loot and money running paths like SE1 or CoF1 in 10min. But I see your point.

in Ranger

djunior.4187

Why are people saying ranger does more damage? I can dish out a full 20k burst with long bow with rapid fire while with GS I’m lucky if I get a 2-4k crit with the second skill

I think you’re mistaken. The 20k burst is acumulative. You can do the same amount hitting 4, 5 times with a zerker sword without cooldown.

in Ranger

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

When will people learn that a 4+ second channel skill isn’t a burst?

And thank you djunior, more people need to use melee weapons with group utility traits and stop being selfish with Axe mainhand or Longbow. GW2 is a team based game, everyone should make a build to account for the people around you.

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

in Ranger

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

If Anet fixed Long Range Shot so that it’s max dmg wasn’t at 1000+ range, then bow using Rangers wouldn’t be outcast in almost every part of the game. Or they could up the range of some of the group buffs so everyone can get the benefit ranged or melee. Increasing the buff range would allow people to actually choose how they wanted to play; melee or range.

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I PLAY HOW I WANT

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

I PLAY HOW I WANT

AND THE OUTPUT OF YOUR TOON IS DECIDED UPON THAT MENTALITY!

in Ranger

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

YOU CANT STOP ME FROM PEW PEWING! ARCHER 4 LIFE!

in Ranger

Posted by: blitzkrieg.2451

blitzkrieg.2451

That’s easy, the bow mechanics are trash anyway

Tanbin – Ranger / Thief / Ele
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

You can have my bow when you pry it from my cold, dead bear.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

I CAN KNOCKBACK, KNOCKDOWN, STUN OR DAZE YOU. SO YES I CAN!!!

in Ranger

ITheNormalPerson.9275

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rampage_As_One

#ARCHER4LYFE

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shotzo.6209

Shotzo.6209

Honestly its sad that archers are so frowned upon in this game, its the only thing I want to play :[

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rampage_As_One

#ARCHER4LYFE

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Nullification

#SHOULDNTHAVEUSEDBOW

in Ranger

ITheNormalPerson.9275

3 BOONS AND A 10 SECOND COOLDOWN

#LET’STESTOURLUCK.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

stability gets always removed first :)))))

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

WHO SAID I WOULD USE MY RANGER?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bountiful_Theft

#CALLDAPOLICE!!!
#SYLVARISTOLEMYPET

in Ranger

ITheNormalPerson.9275

#STOPTRYINGTOPREVENTMEFROMPEWPEWINGANDDIEALREADY:(

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

You can have my bow when you pry it from my cold, dead bear.

#bearbow4life

But really, that bears not gonna be cold, let alone dead, for a looooooooong time…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

djunior.4187

Honestly its sad that archers are so frowned upon in this game, its the only thing I want to play :[

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/28hd5h/why_the_prejudice_against_rangers/

It’s not about archery, it’s about sharing. And receiving. And sharing… And receiving…

in Ranger

djunior.4187

Guys, learn your profession. Don’t be useless in a dungeon party with a low damage weapon, far from the buffs.
BE A PARTY PLAYER. Let’s change this stupid bowbear image that hunts us.
Longbow the hell out of that annoying world boss, playing by yourself saturday night. We’re no necros. We have amazing group skills!

in Ranger

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

agree….sw/wh + GS with spotter fire trap and frost spirit is pretty mandatory.

but since it plays similarly, you probably should just be playing axe/mace + GS warrior instead…and save the ranger (and bow) for open world. why rangers ever use a bear, i don’t know….especially when there is the river drake and his blast finisher and amazing F2 (w/ RaO).

that said…..mainhand sword (and GS) is just too much fun to not break out occasionally for dungeon play.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Relshdan.6854)

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

you probably should just be playing axe/mace + GS warrior instead…and save the ranger (and bow) for open world.

Unless I’m not current on the latest warrior meta, axe is not en vogue anymore and you should only be using greatsword for max damage.

At any rate, too many warriors gets redundant and you’re better off damage wise with a ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Today I pugged with a bearbow with axe/WH ranger with 2 AP and frostfang and howler. I asked him if he knew what frostspotter was, and he said no..

Edit: I meant 2K AP. Not 2. whoops.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

(edited by nearlight.3064)

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

2 achievement points? Is that even possible? Sounds like a gold seller.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Not everybody (hardly anybody compared to the games population actually) reads the forums though, and we can’t just mass spread the information. Reddit is the best outlet, and a lot of us forum goers don’t use the Reddit (I know I don’t), and even then, we aren’t even scratching the surface of the playerbase.

The thing is, players that learn the game solo in a controlled environment against the casual content presented throughout the entire game are never going to run into anything throughout their entire time playing that is so challenging that it requires them to seek an additional resource.

The only thing these players have is the people they end up having to group with in some situations, at which point they don’t understand why their playstyle is ineffective/less effective than another one if they see a redbar moving and they themselves aren’t dying.

The fact at this point is that most players are either going to be too casual to care to switch up their playstyle because it works for them (not saying casual is a bad thing, just pointing out the obvious), or they are going to feel attacked and/or embarrassed because people are telling them how they are playing is bad and wrong and ineffective, and even if done in the nicest way possible, putting somebody on the spot like that can cause them to “turtle” and just ignore you, regress into their shell, and completely and totally refuse to try any new playstyle outside of their current comfort zone.

I know a lot of us here are veterans and because of that and our current level of understanding of the game, we sometimes lose our patience, or don’t feel obligated to participate in any “hand holding” for players that aren’t dealing with the games learning curves well, but that doesn’t mean that those players don’t need their hands to be held.

I think the best thing is to just let “bearbow” be more of a lighthearted, satirical joke than an outright insult, so that we can at least try to keep the toxicity we present to people as a community lower than 9000.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Woaww, did just OP asked us to use a specific meta build?
Welcome Diversity, Welcome Free Choice, Welcome your Own Taste!

Well, no thanks. I’m not using 1h Sword because it’s 2 skills I don’t like at all.
GS feels mutch better, but it’s AA dodges are hard to sync – usualy not worth mutch.
And wouldn’t sacrifice LB’s traited 1500 range, which is still short at some terrain…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Yeah, I’m going to keep using Longbow as one of my weapons, the other being sword/axe. And no, I don’t use bears, I use Stalker/Red Moa for pets. I also stay at close range so I can give frost/spotter and receive boons.

If you have any idea how to maximize Ranger damage, then you should know that Barrage then weapon switch to sword/axe + Path of Scars + sword Auto = best Ranger DPS (also, a cat/bird/dog/drake depending on the situation, if you don’t think your pets are utterly useless).

Period, end of story, I dare you to come up with a way to deal more dps and be more useful to the group. Obviously the OP either doesn’t know a single thing about rangers or is unwilling to admit that the longbow is part of the equation.

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Period, end of story, I dare you to come up with a way to deal more dps and be more useful to the group.

Bringing a warhorn and using an rotation that doesn’t artificially inflate your DPS for the first 8 seconds of a fight.

See Post #2 if you want to see what i’m talking about

(edited by TurtleDragon.3108)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Bows are for elves.
Elves are suck.
Therefore bows are suck.
Stop sucking, be a man and grab a sword.

in Ranger

Posted by: Otaking.4675

Otaking.4675

What about vulnerability stacking? Ranger is really good at this through LB esp if paired with sigil. Are there other classes that can do it better?

25% = 25% of everyone and every pet’s bonus damage. I don’t think that’s insignificant.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

What about vulnerability stacking? Ranger is really good at this through LB esp if paired with sigil. Are there other classes that can do it better?

25% = 25% of everyone and every pet’s bonus damage. I don’t think that’s insignificant.

People would argue that Defiance weakens Vulnerability stacking, though I don’t personally discount it.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

you probably should just be playing axe/mace + GS warrior instead…and save the ranger (and bow) for open world.

Unless I’m not current on the latest warrior meta, axe is not en vogue anymore and you should only be using greatsword for max damage.

At any rate, too many warriors gets redundant and you’re better off damage wise with a ranger.

tru…..but its minor and i hate one weapon set camping (even on ranger sword). i assumed this was about pugging….but you are right, too many warriors are redundant, and a good frost-spotter shouldn’t be shunned.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

You do know that rangers have the nice trait Piercing Arrows? They also have some Shortbow/Longbow skill reduction and such.. So if I want to be an archer, I will..

Btw, SB/LB works tremendously nice in WvW and PvE as far as I can tell..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

in Ranger

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

If you’re using a Longbow you need to be 1000+ away from your target, meaning you are very restricted in where you can place your banners and spirits to affect the whole team, you won’t benefit from Empower Allies, and your allies won’t benefit from your Spotter, and you won’t get any Might stacks and Fury your team creates during a fight.

Maybe I’m missing something but how is a LB Ranger “really good” at stacking Vulnerability?
All I can see are 10 very short-lived stacks through Opening Strike, 10 more from Longbow #2, and another 5 very short-lived stacks if you have Remorseless from Longbow #3.
So, expect for the first 5 seconds of a fight a LB Ranger inflicts on average less than 9 stacks of Vulnerability, and less than 12 with Remorseless.

A Warrior gets around 9-10 from Rending Strikes, an Dagger/Focus Ele gets 5-20 from 5+ points in Air Magic, dunno how much a Thief gets from Sundering Strikes, but I guess somewhere between 5 and 10.
A grenade Engineer gets over 20.

in Ranger

djunior.4187

You know what rangers do? They prepare. We know the fight before it happens. We are rangers, not warriors who enters a room guns blazing. We can do sword/dagger, sword/axe, sword/warhorn depending on the situation because rangers know that specific enemy.
If your an archer, you are stuck with a single gameplay. And you even do it wrong! Because we see longbow archers knocking back monsters all the time by mistake. You don’t protect. You don’t enhance your teammates abilities. You do nothing right but being the last one alive when somethings goes wrong. Congrats.

Now, I’m not here to tell you how you should do your dailies. Or pvp. Or even wvw. But archers are not welcome in dungeon groups. That’s a fact.
If you don’t see this, you’re not playing the same game as me.
We can change this situation by teaching better mechanics to others. You don’t need to accept it, but you will remain being kicked out of PUGs. I don’t want that for myself.

in Ranger

Otaking.4675

If you’re using a Longbow you need to be 1000+ away from your target, meaning you are very restricted in where you can place your banners and spirits to affect the whole team, you won’t benefit from Empower Allies, and your allies won’t benefit from your Spotter, and you won’t get any Might stacks and Fury your team creates during a fight.

Maybe I’m missing something but how is a LB Ranger “really good” at stacking Vulnerability?
All I can see are 10 very short-lived stacks through Opening Strike, 10 more from Longbow #2, and another 5 very short-lived stacks if you have Remorseless from Longbow #3.
So, expect for the first 5 seconds of a fight a LB Ranger inflicts on average less than 9 stacks of Vulnerability, and less than 12 with Remorseless.

A Warrior gets around 9-10 from Rending Strikes, an Dagger/Focus Ele gets 5-20 from 5+ points in Air Magic, dunno how much a Thief gets from Sundering Strikes, but I guess somewhere between 5 and 10.
A grenade Engineer gets over 20.

I don’t fault your logic but a few points…and I come from a purely PVP background so I don’t know the higher end PVE details.

-Cat maintains an average of 5 vuln (BM traited and MM condition duration trait) and 5 stacks of bleed by itself.

-I found I could stack up to 23 Vuln in the first five seconds of a fight in the heavy training dummies in mists using cat and sigil. Granted sigil of frailty is equal to every class but it goes well with LB’s 10 hits of vuln applying rapid fire.

-After this opening I’m going to swap to GS in my build for might stacking purpose along with pet swap etc and jump in to receive buffs anyway, then maybe cycle back out, depending on fight reapply LB stuff, repeat etc to maintain those stacks.

-1 barrage and 1 rapid fire takes 9 seconds anyway to swap back into melee effectively negating the AA penalty at short range since AA doesn’t fire while channeling anyway In other words I might as well point blank channel two abilities and swap back to GS after closing range so as not to lose DPS time moving around.

I was maintaining avg of 12 but my current build has very little condition duration with only a 2 in power.

How common is vuln stacking on those other builds in PVE, just wondering about the relative opportunity cost as well.

in Ranger

Otaking.4675

-the barrage and rapid fire can line up nicely with quickness from pet swap as well.