Beastmaster Boon Bonanza Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Helos.3215

Helos.3215

This is my Beastmaster Boon Bonanza build which I use to great success in sPvP and regular PvE although admittedly untested in dungeons so far. (so yeah, it’s for sPvP). I got tired of running the same old Shortbow + trap conditions build and wanted to try out other ways of playing the ranger. This is melee distance mainly so if you ain’t prepared to jump right in wearing medium armour this isn’t for you.

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mVoVmzzMzorogMmr0gM0GffGzVVMok

Sword / Warhorn
Axe / Axe
(you can swap the offhands around and change the offhand Axe to another of your choice, but Axe 5 does fantastic AoE, better than Torch 5)

Use with a Lynx(F2 huge bleed) and Jungle Stalker(F2 5might-stacks)

It’s so powerful because the Sword auto-attack gives your pets Might every 3rd strike so the longer you use the sword in combat, the more damage your pet does.

Weapon swaps grant yourself Swiftness and Fury
Pet swaps grant 2s quickness and your pet another 3 Might stacks.

Fortifying bond – any boon you get is shared with your pet. Weapon swapping also gives your pet Fury and Swiftness(actually helps when the enemy is moving).

Dodge rolls grant Protection, helps to keep you both alive, on top of the Regen and Condition removal signet.

Critical hits ALSO give your pet Might and i’m running at ~50% crit chance currently so my two Felines (traited to bleed on their critical attacks + increased condition damage) end up with massive stacks of might. AND THEN using Sick ’em…..the carnage….AND THEN using Rampage as One….words need not be said…..

Pet Might Gain Summary
- Sword auto-attack (1)
- Jungle Stalker F2 (5)
- Pet swap (3)
- Any critical hit (1)
- Rampage as One (every attack you do…… drool)
- Sick ’em (invisible might)

- Fury from weapon swaps + Warhorn 5

The synergy between traits and skills is massive in this build, enemies just drop so fast. Try it out, let me know what you think.

(edited by Helos.3215)

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

Quick question, does companion’s might even work? When I used it about a month ago it only gave pets about 1/2 second of might, so it was rather worthless since you couldn’t get more than 1 stack on the pet at all times and couldn’t even guarantee the pet was able to attack while under the effects of might. If they buffed it to 5 seconds or something it would be much stronger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Helos.3215

Helos.3215

Quick question, does companion’s might even work? When I used it about a month ago it only gave pets about 1/2 second of might, so it was rather worthless since you couldn’t get more than 1 stack on the pet at all times and couldn’t even guarantee the pet was able to attack while under the effects of might. If they buffed it to 5 seconds or something it would be much stronger.

Truth be told I don’t know, there’s might coming in from so many places it’s difficult to tell.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

First of all,im a great supporter of pets and their dmg.I like that the make big dmg but not on moving targets.I dont like the long animations that they have tho.
Anyway ive tried many builds and i use this for sPvP and a similar for PvE
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMUQNAnXVnAVUFciF+VwahgoLgp4QK6zoVp3pAUoKjrKRWF;TsAA1Cmoey8k4J7TunkPtoYQx8DA

Look friend,pets are awesome but at this point unreliable,i cant stand in meele range with 16k life for more than 15 secs and in thess 15 secs there will be made 1-2 attack from my pet.And without the +30% pet movement trait they gonna miss a lot.
With my build i can do pretty decent dmg since i got 1919 power,14% crit chance and 26% crit dmg.Some times i crit for 700 with my shortbow.And my high health make me very good in surviving.Anyway ill try in action your build and we will see.
Cheers

in Ranger

Posted by: Ravnodaus.5130

Ravnodaus.5130

Companion’s Might adds ~ 1 second of might to the pet, essentially a useless trait. Even in a pet build, any other choice is better.

People keep recommending that swiftness or the move speed trait for your pet helps them hit reliably, this isn’t true. What increasing thier move speed does, is increases thier time on target, basically letting them try to hit more frequently. But if your target is mobile, they will still miss every time, they’ll just be missing more times/second than before…essentially nothing has changed.

What you should be aiming for, with a pet build, is getting your pet to reliably hit more often. That is done by decreasing your target’s mobility! Immobilize does that, CCs like knockdown, stun etc do that. Also, Chill works incredibly well at this, and Cripple does an ok job of it.

If you can do both, alls the better. Getting your pet to hit reliably, and then getting it to hit more frequently… win. But the first step is slowing your target down. That is why any Beastmater focused PvP build really really needs to also be focused on control.

My go to is Chill, because there are numerous potential sources of it, it works really well for increasing your pet’s attack to hit ratio, as it slows your target enough to generally let its attacks land… and since you can have multiple sources of it, cleanses don’t just auto win vs you, because you can reapply.

Axe 3 is a good choice, ranged, low cooldown.
Frost trap is amazing, you can stack up a huge duration of chill on a target with it, and it is aoe. Longer cd though, and of course traps are funky unless traited.
Frost Spirit. Say what you will, but it can be pretty effective if you can work with it. It gives a 5 sec aoe chill. Longer cooldown, clunky, but has the secondary benefit of giving decent 10% damage buff aoe style, which your pet benefits from handily.
Pets. Malicious Training is very handy if your pet uses chill/conditions, adds 50% duration.
Owl is a good choice, imo. F2 is a chill, hits hard. Bird pets are similar to cats in thier damage. Has longer reach for more reliable hits, self swiftness for more tot.
Alpine Wolf is great, F2 chill, also has knockdown and cripple. Canines do moderate damage.
Ice Drake, White Moa.. etc. Pets can be a good source of pets doing more reliable attacks.
Sigil of Ice, Hydromancy, Chilling… all handy options for adding in more chill times/applications.

I’m obviously not suggesting to use all of those at once and go overboard…lol. Just that there are many options to choose from to customize how you do your thang.

You can’t force your pet to attack on the move… so force your target to hold still instead!

Why grind dungeons? Only relevant content…
Why? Gives needed gear…
Why do you need this gear? To do dungeons… duh.