Best builds for RANGErs are actually melee?

in Ranger

Posted by: Uhkapian.7068

Uhkapian.7068

What the hell is going on in here?

I come back to the game after 2 years break, and now all the viable builds for Rangers are all melee with sword?

Gee, makes me want to reconsider coming back at all…

I was gonna reroll the Ranger again since I need to learn the game all over again, but it seems I will have to find another profession.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lenor.8197

Lenor.8197

It seems you’re talking about PvE, since in PvP one of the most popular ranger builds is the one with shooting things from 1.9k range.

If anything, I’d wait with passing any judgement over Ranger builds till tuesday update.

in Ranger

Posted by: Uhkapian.7068

Uhkapian.7068

It seems you’re talking about PvE, since in PvP one of the most popular ranger builds is the one with shooting things from 1.9k range.

If anything, I’d wait with passing any judgement over Ranger builds till tuesday update.

Thanks, but I am not into the “meta” currently, so can you quickly explain what will change so drastically on tuesday?

Will my ranger be a ranged profession or just become a boring melee with a pet?

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

If you havnt play for 2 years, you’ll be very happy with your LB. Its much better that what it used to be. Lots of good builds with LB dont worry about that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lenor.8197

Lenor.8197

The update coming on tuesday is going to pretty much flip all traits over, make damaging conditions other than bleeding stack in intensity and introduce some pretty interesting new choices. The update notes are flying around the forum, but I’ll just drop them here https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/June-23-Specialization-Changes

As for following the meta or not, it’s your choice. You can pack lb/sb for all i care, but it’s not like you’re forced into melee weapons exclusively. It’s just a reasonable choice to have one.

in Ranger

Posted by: goldenwing.9654

goldenwing.9654

The name ranger have nothing to do with long range on weapons.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Define best, please.

in Ranger

Posted by: SirWarriant.2319

SirWarriant.2319

Op I’m going to assume you don’t actually know where the name Ranger comes from but it has absolutely nothing to do with ranged weapons. It’s about patrolling a large area of land etc. Think of a park ranger or Rangers from Lotr that patrol the edges of civilized places.

However Bow builds are far from bad. Glassbow hits extremely hard and can stack vulnerability better than most classes if not all classes. If you get the jump on someone thats not a bunker they are going down in a few seconds alot of the time.

Ullr Thorgislwulf: 80 Ranger Yaks Bend sPvP & WvW
Eladan of Greenwood: 80 Ranger
Elemir Swiftblade: 80 Thief

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Longbow is fine. It’s great in WvW and openworld PvE, a bit less great in PvP and even less in PvE dungeons, but I think it’s accepted everywhere.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Longbow is fine. It’s great in WvW and openworld PvE, a bit less great in PvP and even less in PvE dungeons, but I think it’s accepted everywhere.

LB is pretty well Meta everywhere for Ranger.

Regardless of whether people consider it meta;

Tons use it in WvW & PvP and there is loads of QQ about how effective it is.
Open world PvE it is pretty much the best weapon in the game.
Dungeons it is meta for Barrage, RF and vulnerability stacking.

None of these will change with the trait changes, in fact, they will get better.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Longbow. It’s a bit less great in PvP.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Fine fine, I confess, I don’t do PvP and was merely guessing. I only do WvW on my longbow Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

hasn’t sword always been our best DPS?

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Op I’m going to assume you don’t actually know where the name Ranger comes from but it has absolutely nothing to do with ranged weapons. It’s about patrolling a large area of land etc. Think of a park ranger or Rangers from Lotr that patrol the edges of civilized places.

However Bow builds are far from bad. Glassbow hits extremely hard and can stack vulnerability better than most classes if not all classes. If you get the jump on someone thats not a bunker they are going down in a few seconds alot of the time.

Except they absolutely do according to how Anet would like them to be in their world.

“They favor long-range combat, the bow being their weapon of choice, and can be especially effective from elevated locations such as bridges and cliffs.”

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ranger

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I wish everyone would stop referring to the Ranger page on the website, that was written 5 years ago, much has changed. The warrior one also states that they cannot remove conditions themselves…

How many rangers out there do you see running LB? 90%? I’d say that is favouring it. Since it is also the best ranged damage in the game, from 1500 range, you can see why. Yet, our sword does even more damage!

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

First of all, ranger doesn’t refer to “range”.

Second of all, the game would be stupidly unbalanced if ranged damage was higher than melee damage.

I’m surprised people still go all “wtf RANGErs do less damage with bowz?”.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

And yet we still get masses of QQ based on how much damage we dish out in WvW/PvP with LB.

in Ranger

Posted by: Natfrog.4310

Natfrog.4310

And yet rangers are not top tier anything until you look at their mele abilities. GG. Why is that so hard for the same 3 people to see? And it’s just those 3 that tend to stand out.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Oh, we can see it. We just take exception to whining about it, rather than adapting. That is, I believe, part of being a good ranger. Adaptation.

in Ranger

Natfrog.4310

Oh, we can see it. We just take exception to whining about it, rather than adapting. That is, I believe, part of being a good ranger. Adaptation.

You can call it what ever you want to call it but when you flat out ignore the description the game gives and say get better using other things that is purely a flaw.

in Ranger

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

You can call it what ever you want to call it but when you flat out ignore the description the game gives and say get better using other things that is purely a flaw.

Running 2x LB with Quick Draw will be perfectly viable in most game modes if you want to do that.

in Ranger

Natfrog.4310

Running 2x LB with Quick Draw will be perfectly viable in most game modes if you want to do that.

Until a thief mugs you and you pop you signet just to stay alive. At this point about half your health is gone and 9/10 times there is no solo roamers on top tier servers so you have to pop your heal. At this point it’s full on engage since you have no utilities to flea and if you do have 1 on your bar the thief will just shadow step to you and melt you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

Until a thief mugs you and you pop you signet just to stay alive. At this point about half your health is gone and 9/10 times there is no solo roamers on top tier servers so you have to pop your heal. At this point it’s full on engage since you have no utilities to flea and if you do have 1 on your bar the thief will just shadow step to you and melt you.

Most game modes :P

in Ranger

Natfrog.4310

Most game modes :P

If you ever see them coming they doing it wrong anyways.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

If you don’t see them coming, you are doing it wrong. Maintain awareness. “Rangers rely on a keen eye”
If you have no utilities to flee, you are doing it wrong, you also have weapon skills for that and pet skills. Rangers need a “steady hand”.
Rangers are most definitely “unparalleled archers” there can be no debate on that, we are very capable of “bringing down foes from a distance with…bows”, see forum QQ for that, or just plain experience.
So, “with traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation”.

When you flat out ignore the description the game gives and say you can’t use other things that is purely a flaw.

Adapt. Like a Ranger.

in Ranger

Natfrog.4310

If you don’t see them coming, you are doing it wrong. Maintain awareness. “Rangers rely on a keen eye”
If you have no utilities to flee, you are doing it wrong, you also have weapon skills for that and pet skills. Rangers need a “steady hand”.
Rangers are most definitely “unparalleled archers” there can be no debate on that, we are very capable of “bringing down foes from a distance with…bows”, see forum QQ for that, or just plain experience.
So, “with traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation”.

When you flat out ignore the description the game gives and say you can’t use other things that is purely a flaw.

Adapt. Like a Ranger.

Keen eye has nothing to do with perma stealth thief that can steal from 1200 range. Maybe the low tier servers lack skilled thieves? The weapon skills were based off the above mentioned longbow and longbow but thanks for proving you cannot read.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

So, you camped LB and were surprised when you were killed by a thief? lol

fyi, the game renders players a lot further off than 1200 range.

This is a L2P issue.

Move along, nothing to see here.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Adapt. Like a Ranger.

Keen eye has nothing to do with perma stealth thief that can steal from 1200 range. Maybe the low tier servers lack skilled thieves? The weapon skills were based off the above mentioned longbow and longbow but thanks for proving you cannot read.

I’ve played on every tier and have never run across a thief that is sitting around Perma stealthed on the off chance someone will pass by.

But for arguments sake lets say they are sitting in a field constantly re-stealthing. How hard is it to hear them blasting or leaping through their field? Are we not supposed to use our hearing and only focus on what our keen eyes can see because you have some lore attachment to rangers sight?

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Ranger

Natfrog.4310

Adapt. Like a Ranger.

I’ve played on every tier and have never run across a thief that is sitting around Perma stealthed on the off chance someone will pass by.

But for arguments sake lets say they are sitting in a field constantly re-stealthing. How hard is it to hear them blasting or leaping through their field? Are we not supposed to use our hearing and only focus on what our keen eyes can see because you have some lore attachment to rangers sight?

You have never had a thief come out from around a corner or off a ledge? I sure have and never saw him at all before hand nor his extremely large red name tag thingy. Several times. You can close a HUGE gap with short bow and super speed.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

GS/LB is going to be very, very strong. but yes I think most of the other builds are going to remain s/t + a/d. im not sure if we’ll be seeing much of SB. they haven’t done anything to fix axes on power builds, and WH is still underwhelming really.

LB/GS with the new QZ is going to be amazing.

in Ranger

Posted by: Boaz.1694

Boaz.1694

If you want rdps, role an Elementalist. Nobody wants Rangers for anything anyway. I constantly have to switch over to another profession/class from my Ranger for WvW and PvE.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Adapt. Like a Ranger.

You have never had a thief come out from around a corner or off a ledge? I sure have and never saw him at all before hand nor his extremely large red name tag thingy. Several times. You can close a HUGE gap with short bow and super speed.

Nope, I pay attention to my surroundings. That includes taking wide turns around objects (unless I’m trying to LoS something) and panning my camera around walls.

For the past several years I’ve spent probably 90% of my game time roaming WvW. I need to be fighting at least 1v3 to be caught off guard by another player jumping me. Even then it’s rare that I don’t see them coming.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

WH is a better support weapon now, utility, because of Windborne Notes and Clarion Bond pretty great buffs for PvP or even in dungeons.

in Ranger

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Best build depends on the scenario…

When I hop on the WvW zerg train, its Longbow pew pew all day in full glass cannon gear + food/oil. GS swap for the swoop + 4 block skill when I need to escape.
When I wanna do some PUG dung/frac, its Sword/X + longbow with spotter + frost spirit. Good personal dps and decent enough party support
sPvP? depends if i wanna be a tanky condi ranger, trap, or power LB ranger.. all viable..

best build depends on your situation…Ranger has terrific sustained DPS with longbow regardless of the situation though

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I’m going to try double longbow for that arrowcart feels. If I get wrecked by a thief who cares? Game isn’t perma death.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kitiara.2706

Kitiara.2706

I’m going to try double longbow for that arrowcart feels. If I get wrecked by a thief who cares? Game isn’t perma death.

But you will share cooldowns. This wont work.

in Ranger

Justine.6351

But new trait so it will work.

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

There is some play for 2 LB with quickdraw, you can get 2 RP almost one after the other. Not sure it worths it, but mybe.

in Ranger

Posted by: Goldenrevolver.4371

Goldenrevolver.4371

xD ban him pls. these troll posts are getting too many. i mean SUPER SPEED? wtf thiefs dont get super speed. they dont even have swiftness. u have not watched ur surroundings playing a full zerker ranger and got killed by a thief. or it sounds like u got killed by all the thiefs uve encountered

edit: btw Natfrog.4310 im still offering u 1000 gold if u beat my ranger with a staff ele in a duel it sounds like ur not really doing pve so i think u would need the gold

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

(edited by Goldenrevolver.4371)

in Ranger

Posted by: Terravos.4059

Terravos.4059

You do can do 75% increased damage Mauls on targets you interrupt… Greatsword is going to be silly next patch

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Xsorus – Ranger PvP movies Creator of the BM Bunker

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

You do can do 75% increased damage Mauls on targets you interrupt… Greatsword is going to be silly next patch

They just need to add a decapitation animation when you hit someone with it. :-)

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

Posted by: Terravos.4059

Terravos.4059

They just need to add a decapitation animation when you hit someone with it. :-)

Your character should yell “For the Watch” when he does it.

But yea…do Greatsword Stun, Swap Pets (If you didn’t gain fury) and then Maul Someone

freakin 75% increased damage on Maul…

Or Technobabble them… then swap and do it…Either way you’re going to mess someone up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Xsorus – Ranger PvP movies Creator of the BM Bunker

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

- Assuming LtW and QD, dual LBs and already in combat.
- You swap LBs (10s CD) then double RF.
- That takes 6.5s and the 2nd RF will go on CD for 8s.
- You wait 3.5s for swap CD, then swap to other LB.
- RF is still on CD for four point five seconds (stupid forum filter) and you cannot use a different skill from it if you want to maintain the rotation.

So you cannot just pump out RF all day, you get a normal CD after the 2nd one and using it in this way severely limits your skills.

Warrior runes also do not benefit the build because they only speed up the weapon swap and that is not a factor, since you need to wait for the 2nd RF to CD anyway.

This is even worse if you want to do it with barrage or something like that because the 2nd skill usage will still have the normal CD and you will not be able to use any other skills after you swap weapons.

Just saying.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Your character should yell “For the Watch” when he does it.

But yea…do Greatsword Stun, Swap Pets (If you didn’t gain fury) and then Maul Someone

freakin 75% increased damage on Maul…

Or Technobabble them… then swap and do it…Either way you’re going to mess someone up.

Don’t forget to use SoTW for an additional +25% damage in there…

in Ranger

Posted by: Goldenrevolver.4371

Goldenrevolver.4371

guys remember damage boost dont stack additively they stack multiplicatively

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Ranger

Justine.6351

- Assuming LtW and QD, dual LBs and already in combat.
- You swap LBs (10s CD) then double RF.
- That takes 6.5s and the 2nd RF will go on CD for 8s.
- You wait 3.5s for swap CD, then swap to other LB.
- RF is still on CD for four point five seconds (stupid forum filter) and you cannot use a different skill from it if you want to maintain the rotation.

So you cannot just pump out RF all day, you get a normal CD after the 2nd one and using it in this way severely limits your skills.

Warrior runes also do not benefit the build because they only speed up the weapon swap and that is not a factor, since you need to wait for the 2nd RF to CD anyway.

This is even worse if you want to do it with barrage or something like that because the 2nd skill usage will still have the normal CD and you will not be able to use any other skills after you swap weapons.

Just saying.

?
Only barrage after a weapon swap. Not complicated.

And who is the kitten who first thought “hey quickdraw + rapidfire!”. That is some stupid stuff. About as stupid as maul which is already low cd.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

The problem for ranger has never been damage its defense. Long bow is heavily favor since the pet is suppose to tank for us. However against a living breath foe they simply bi-pass the pet.

Even mob by pass our pets. I believe its why they added the stealth to the lb. Giving a us chance for your pet to be the target again in pve.

Yes we have dodge and evades (so does everyone else) but for power build this means no damage while your doing so.

Other class have passive and active defenses out side of dodges and evades.
Even if 1h was the best dps in game it will be used seldomly not because of the root, but because other class have passive defensive or active defensive skill while at the sametime having passive or simi-passive offensive skills.

While pets are passive(somewhat) they don’t benefit from our armor stats being both our blessing and curse.

A ranger running knights or cavalier will be able rf targets down still and still beable to melee when they need to be in position for the finish.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

You don’t need two longbows for quickdraw.

Ranged mechanics, folks, you only need one for the swap.

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Looks like it’s time to take a page from the Monster Hunter handbook and…

git gud

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Darklight.5487

Darklight.5487

The name ranger have nothing to do with long range on weapons.

Go to char. creation ingame read the description for the Ranger and write this again.