Best camping Weapon for ranger/druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Wharrgarbl.9263

Wharrgarbl.9263

Hello guys, id like your help today!

Background: came back (quit just after hots came out), and trying to L2P (fractals and new map). Thing is, cant deal with moving, dodging stuff, watching bosses animations and performing a rotation at the same time.

DPS wise, whats better to camp? Shortbow or Axe/X? Is it better DPS to camp sword/X as power build? (with LB opening, i do know how to do that).

Also, what are the best pets for FOTM in pug groups that dont buff much? Tiger + Red Moa for fury uptime? Tiger + bear to tank / something else? Does bear even tank in fractals?

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Background: came back (quit just after hots came out), and trying to L2P (fractals and new map). Thing is, cant deal with moving, dodging stuff, watching bosses animations and performing a rotation at the same time.

DPS wise, whats better to camp? Shortbow or Axe/X? Is it better DPS to camp sword/X as power build? (with LB opening, i do know how to do that).

Also, what are the best pets for FOTM in pug groups that dont buff much? Tiger + Red Moa for fury uptime? Tiger + bear to tank / something else? Does bear even tank in fractals?

For power druid, Staff and Longbow -

For condi Ranger, Axe/Torch second weapon choice is open, no others can do what these can in AOE for a straight Ranger

I take camps faster with my Power Druid than with my Condi Ranger

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

DPS wise sword/axe would probably be a good starting point. Its a power setup. Offers two evades. And a high damage melee attack. Using axe 4 on cooldown.

If you want something a bit safer. Greatsword is a good choice. The dps use on it is simple (Use GS#2 maul on cooldown) offers a leap and evade on gs #3. And Its third hit in its auto attack chain is an evade. Making melee combat alot safer till you get used to combat in this game.

As for pets. Tiger is a very good choice. with it you won’t need a red moa as tiger gives enough fury while doing higher damage.

Moa is better in places where you know you will need to swap pets alot. In PvE you typically don’t have to.

For a secondary pet something that can CC for breakbars is what I would reccomend. Wolves, Pink Moa, or Electric wyvern’s are your best bet. Swap to cc and then go back to tiger like normal.

So if you wan’t it as simple as possible so you can just fight and learn the boss.

GS with tiger, Maul on cooldown (make sure to take the GS trait in beast mastery) use pet f2 on cooldown for fury generation. And use other abilities as you need to.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

For power druid, Staff and Longbow -

For condi Ranger, Axe/Torch second weapon choice is open, no others can do what these can in AOE for a straight Ranger

I take camps faster with my Power Druid than with my Condi Ranger

I think he means camp as in just camping one weapon. Not taking camps in WvW

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Wharrgarbl.9263

I meant camping a single weapon.

I mean, if its totally non viable i will try to learn everything at once, but if camping shortbow provides 80% of swapping back and forth, screw it ill take shortbow and learn the rotation after i stop dying

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Your LB opening mention is the way to go. As you run towards the boss, hit with barrage and RF, then just camp the melee weapon of your choice. That’s pretty close to ideal play anyway for fractals.

in Ranger

Wharrgarbl.9263

Your LB opening mention is the way to go. As you run towards the boss, hit with barrage and RF, then just camp the melee weapon of your choice. That’s pretty close to ideal play anyway for fractals.

Isnt viper like 2x the damage than berserkers?

According to this http://www.qtfy.enjin.com/dps

SB + AT is 32K DPS
SB + AT druid is 22K DPS
LB + SA druid is 16K DPS

if thats true, berserker sounds really underwhelming, why does anyone use it?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

SB + AT is 32K DPS
SB + AT druid is 22K DPS
LB + SA druid is 16K DPS

I don’t keep up on the latest DPS numbers since I haven’t done high-end PvE stuff in years. But the basic idea is condi takes a while to ramp up. For example if you go kill a level 10 enemy, a berserker will kill it in 1 hit and a condi player will have to wait for their condis to tick a few times.

So the harder the fight, the more likely condis will do more damage. In lower-end stuff like dungeons and early fractals, berserker does a lot more damage because the fights are over instantly.

Edit: And I should point out when you’re talking about fights that aren’t over instantly, druid damage is sort of irrelevant. The main thing we bring are the unique buffs, spotter, spirits, GotL, GoE.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

SB + AT is 32K DPS
SB + AT druid is 22K DPS
LB + SA druid is 16K DPS

You can’t compare a pure ranger spec with a druid spec, totally different objectives. Condi ranger is for dealing top tier condi damage, nothing more, it doesn’t provide all of the regular buffs and such. Druid (both condi, power and healer) are there to supply buffs, condi while doing a bit more dps, power is a bit more flexible and healer for when your group really needs the support.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Ranger

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

SB + AT is 32K DPS
SB + AT druid is 22K DPS
LB + SA druid is 16K DPS

You need to learn three things:

The SB + AT is 32k selfish DPS. A selfish SA + LB Ranger build will get up to 27k DPS.

No one in the speed clearing guilds are going to be bringing a pure power ranger build into a raid for its dps, there are other classes that have much better dps. They will however bring a power druid for the group utility. People are more opt to bring in a condi druid than a condi ranger for the utility except when they are lacking in condi dps. None of this means that power ranger is not viable, its just not optimal.

QT dps tests are examples of the highest forms optimal of play. If you see that condi axe torch + shortbow build does 32k dps on their site and think you or any other avg joe does that much than you do your self a disservice. Anyone considered half decent is going to get 80% of that dps. Only people that truly know the nuisances of the class are going to be able to get close to that.

DPS only really matters if your speed clearing or doing raid encounters that have hard checks. Outside of that anything that does roughly 22-25k dps is more than viable for almost every encounter.

It’s frankly better for you to learn to play the class on sets your comfortable with and do medicore dps, than attempt to run a build you have no understanding of and spend half the encounter on your bottom; doing no dps.

@Wharrgarbl camping weapons is generally considered bad. As one of our best traits is focused on weapon swapping. If your looking for a class that camps weapons then look no further than guardian with hammer.

If my hands were tied and I had to camp a set on ranger I’d have to choose between staff and sword warhorn. Staff while being lowest dps of our weapons but, will get you the least amount of flack from groups as you at least offer support. Sword warhorn offers a bit more damage and some boon/blast support.

When your looking to improve at encounters look into meta builds and ask your self why people do certain things or use certain traits. If you can’t figure out why, ask people.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

in Ranger

Wharrgarbl.9263

DPS only really matters if your speed clearing or doing raid encounters that have hard checks. Outside of that anything that does roughly 22-25k dps is more than viable for almost every encounter.

It’s frankly better for you to learn to play the class on sets your comfortable with and do medicore dps, than attempt to run a build you have no understanding of and spend half the encounter on your bottom; doing no dps.

At the moment im running full berserker with ranger runes, Sword / Axe + Longbow (longbow for open world or initial burst only, so i can heal the team and share spotter and frost spirit).

I was considering switching to condi shortbow because the shortbow seems really fun, and you get to range while not being 1500 units away so you can actually be useful, but i solo a lot and if it has rampup time i guess thats a no (shame, i really wanted to craft the legendary shortbow)

Wharrgarbl camping weapons is generally considered bad. As one of our best traits is focused on weapon swapping.

As Sw/X + LB im not swapping much either. Should i run staff instead of longbow? (i kinda like bows, thats why i made a ranger in the first place).

When your looking to improve at encounters look into meta builds and ask your self why people do certain things or use certain traits. If you can’t figure out why, ask people.

I totally get the theory, but doing an attack rotation + using pets / pet buffs / utilities + dodging and positioning is just too much for me and i end up autoattacking OR doing a dps rotation.