Boring dagger

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

The new Dagger for soulbeast seems good, but the skills are really boring. It doesn’t bring something new.

Autoattack and skill 2 brings bleeding and poison (and a bit vulnerability) but we get this with hundred other skills, too.
The skill 3 is a leap. This leap seems really cool, cause you can use it multiple times in a row. But we’ve a (very stupid and clunky) leap for sword and a leap for greatsword.

Where is the really cool stuff about the dagger, the new weapon?!?
And what should it have instead?

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Come up with an idea that isn’t already implemented then.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

It would be amazing if dagger offhand was reworked

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Aleksander Suburb.4287

Come up with an idea that isn’t already implemented then.

The dagger could use slowness, torment or confusion. That would be new for rangers.
Or the dagger use something completly new conditions:
– A condition that prohibit to block or to use reflection.
– A condition that blocks the special ability of a class
Or the dagger attack set enemy utilities or weapon-skills on recharge.
Or a daggerskill that blocks and give resilence (a buff that is lorewise perfectly for rangers, but anet hate us :P)
Or a daggerskill that shorten the recharge of the elite with every hit.
Or set a trap that remove auras, stances, invisibility and invulnerability
Or give permanent camouflage(https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hide_in_Plain_Sight), a ranger skill in guild wars 2 beta and recycled in some traits.

(edited by Aleksander Suburb.4287)

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Dagger looks like a well rounded hybrid weapon. Perfect for the new stats combo for gear. The dagger 3 movement skill with charge mechanic + quickness, looks great. Let’s wait for dagger trait.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Earix.5684

Earix.5684

Hidden Barbs & Poison Master may be the reason behind this design decision.

Dagger mainhand doesn’t sound that bad. I would love a dagger offhand rework though.

Earix – GvG Player – Druid / Soulbeast
Pirate Chips [LAYS] – Server Hopping (EU)

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Mackanstein.2503

Mackanstein.2503

True, it is very vanilla, but wasn’t that what people wanted – a straightforward melee condi weapon for MH? I don’t think it needs to bring anything new to the table as long as it fills that gap in our kitten nal.

I like that the leap is better than sword’s, in fact would be nice if MH sword had a similar gap closer. Sword #2 does indeed feel clunky.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

It’s a single handed mainhand weapon with autochain bleeds and poison (both which we already got modifiers for with the core ranger). And then two other seemingly decent skills, one of them being a double leap. I’d rather have that than some flawed gimmick. The animations look cool enough.

Off-hand dagger on the other hand, THAT is boring.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

For druid everyone complained about the lacking synergy and at the moment we get a weapon we wanted (melee condi) with condis that helps stacking our core condis a leap with quickness, people complain….
Dagger offhand could use some love though.
The evade skill would be sweet if they swap it with swords serpent strike. And the old skill is now on sword and pure power based.
Give the dagger throw an immob and we are good.

For sword they just should make hornet sting a standalone skill and chain monarchsleap with the remaining skill together.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: GUFF.5692

GUFF.5692

we get a weapon we wanted (melee condi) with condis that helps stacking our core condis….

For sword they just should make hornet sting a standalone skill and chain monarchsleap with the remaining skill together.

Speak for yourself, I did not want a condi weapon. I wanted a new power weapon that would help us be able to actually have a melee spec where we can stand toe to toe with others in pvp instead of hide and seek pew pew. Maybe soulbeast will aid in this, maybe not.

Sword needs no changes.

Sarhaz [CDS]

I was a ranger before shortbow had 1200m range AND after it didn’t…

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Dagger is my ‘low point’ of the Soulbeast so far and even then it looks effective, good damage and the double leap with quickness looks great.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Aleksander Suburb.4287

Ok if you guys like poison in bleeding so much, what about:
skill 2: doubling the stacks of bleeding and poison + longer recharge

That would be a skill with a minimum of tactical use.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Ok if you guys like poison in bleeding so much, what about:
skill 2: doubling the stacks of bleeding and poison + longer recharge

That would be a skill with a minimum of tactical use.

I’d rather see double the stacks with half the duration and leave the CD the same. More of a condi spike than DoT. So it would be 8 stacks bleed for 3s and the pet inflicts 2 stacks Poison for 3s on each strike.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

we get a weapon we wanted (melee condi) with condis that helps stacking our core condis….

Speak for yourself, I did not want a condi weapon. I wanted a new power weapon that would help us be able to actually have a melee spec where we can stand toe to toe with others in pvp instead of hide and seek pew pew. Maybe soulbeast will aid in this, maybe not.

Sword needs no changes.

Role of power melee is basically covered with GS. It needs buffs though.
My suggestion on sword would sword give an evade on demand, a gap closer on demand and it would be full power melee mainhand weapon. Atm sword has good skills but not in the right layout.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

For druid everyone complained about the lacking synergy and at the moment we get a weapon we wanted (melee condi) with condis that helps stacking our core condis a leap with quickness, people complain….
Dagger offhand could use some love though.
The evade skill would be sweet if they swap it with swords serpent strike. And the old skill is now on sword and pure power based.
Give the dagger throw an immob and we are good.

I agree. I’d be down for those changes.

NSPride <3

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Did anyone else not notice that the SB dagger auto attack is a 4-hit combo? I find that kind of strange. Haven’t checked the footage again to see if there are new animations.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Did anyone else not notice that the SB dagger auto attack is a 4-hit combo? I find that kind of strange. Haven’t checked the footage again to see if there are new animations.

Yeah, I wonder why they did that. Worth noting that the 4 dagger auto attacks have the same total cast time as the 3 sword auto attacks, 1.5s.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Dagger auto-attack animations on many classes already have 4 hits, in terms of animation and individual hits registering. Its just that the 2nd and 3rd hit (or is it the 1st and 2nd? I’m blanking on exactly which) are generally packaged together into one attack, with that attack being a quick back-and-forth slash. I’m assuming they just separated it out into 4 distinct attacks for Soulbeast’s dagger, maybe tweak the animation just slightly so that its more spaced out between those two.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I like having leaps, although if I wanted to add a Dagger skill that was slightly different, what about a "rope dagger? Have you throw the dagger with a “beam” coming off it, and if it hits an enemy then it yanks them back into melee range.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I like having leaps, although if I wanted to add a Dagger skill that was slightly different, what about a "rope dagger? Have you throw the dagger with a “beam” coming off it, and if it hits an enemy then it yanks them back into melee range.

Like Scorpion Wire?

I think the leaps are pretty cool, plus don’t forget the quickness attached to a weapon, that is pretty amazing.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Dagger auto-attack animations on many classes already have 4 hits, in terms of animation and individual hits registering. Its just that the 2nd and 3rd hit (or is it the 1st and 2nd? I’m blanking on exactly which) are generally packaged together into one attack, with that attack being a quick back-and-forth slash. I’m assuming they just separated it out into 4 distinct attacks for Soulbeast’s dagger, maybe tweak the animation just slightly so that its more spaced out between those two.

1st and 2nd. That said, I checked back with some of the footage available to us and Spellbreaker seems to have this as well (at least no double-strike on the initial combo, theirs is still 3-hits). I wonder if it’s an overhaul for all dagger auto attacks to be broken into 4-hit combos, or at least the removal of the initial double strike.

Gotta wait until the 8th. If so, I wonder if it’s to tone down Thief dagger auto a bit and give that boost Necromancers wanted to their auto attack. Will be interesting nonetheless.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

Kind of wanted a rifle.

Make us a real pet tamer with two pets, the rifle skills are meant to focus them on a single target and make the weapon usable by both sides. IF you use condi pets then your a condi build, If you use power based pets your a power build. Throwing away our unique trait I.E pets, and not focusing and fixing them is a very poor way of showing your listening. Ranger =pets and thats how it is, thats why I made one because If I wanted to go without id make a thief, warrior ect ect.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

Soul beasts can still use pets and differnt pet choices provides different versions of beastmode. They are also adding 5 new ones. I’m not sure why people think they are throwing the pets away.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Like Scorpion Wire?

A bit, but higher damage, lower CD, on the weapon itself.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

While this would be cool and unique mechanically, a leap would work 100% of the time while a pull wouldn’t work against anyone with stability up or against any of those mobs with the unbreakable break bar defiant mechanic like worms etc.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

Speaking of dagger, its kind of funny that it has a skill that buffs pets.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Double_Arc

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Will be a massive face palm moment if upon testing we find that you don’t get the buff yourself when in beastmode.

Maybe it will work only on the pet skills you get in BM.

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Will be a massive face palm moment if upon testing we find that you don’t get the buff yourself when in beastmode.

Maybe it will work only on the pet skills you get in BM.

As a Ranger weapon, the dagger is contractually obliged to have an attack that affects the pet in some way. The only “exception” is our staff, for healing allies, like that one that’s always with us.

But reading the tooltip, I think the self buff is what they’re going for. Soulbeast’s first trait says traits that affect your pet may affect you differently while in beast mode.

i.e. That isn’t part of the skill description, it’s a footnote saying “look, we can’t give you 350 condition damage and 33% condition duration for an adept trait, so while you’ll probably still get boosted condis you’re not getting them that boosted”. In other words, it’s assumed our spear will grant us swiftness when we dash and mauling would grant us an attack of opportunity. It’s assumed anything affecting the pet affects us.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

Boring dagger

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Hmm… taking the description literally, wondering if it only works on traits. So, leaving out weapon skills, utilities, heals, and elites that have pet interaction would be done purposefully to still promote pet interaction.

Things like Double Arc (dagger), Pounce (sword), Winter’s Bite (axe), and shouts might just work as though the pet was not active/stowed. A possible balance move between Ranger and Soulbeast?