Briefing for a retired player

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Hello everyone.

I’ve been out of the picture for a very, very long time and I accidentally stumbled upon an interesting patch that took place a few months back.
As you could say, I wasn’t really in a mood of studying all the possible changes, outcomes, data and results for all that time, so I’d like to ask you, fellow ranger for an opinion.

How is the Ranger(Druid) doing today? What is our role and how efficient are we? Are we still buff-bot condition PvE and Bunkers for PvP?

Please,tell me your opinions on:
1) Raids
2) Fractal Speed runs
3) PvP (structured PvP only, I’ve never played WvW, nor do I intend to)

And lastly… There was supposed to be a huge change for pets on moving targets. Do pets actually work now?

Thank you all for your answers!

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Are we still buff-bot condition PvE and Bunkers for PvP?

Yes. Although condi ranger is one of the highest DPS in the game at the moment (I’m told, I don’t do a lot of PvE.)

We are solid in all 3 game modes, surprisingly.

Oh and they fixed wyverns (!!).

in Ranger

Posted by: voltaicbore.8012

voltaicbore.8012

1) Raids: we’re doing pretty well, as many groups run at least 2 druids. Very sought after as healers, and competitive as condi dps that can maintain a goodly amount of group support.

2) Fractal speed runs: not sure, as I am still a tier 1 fractal nooblet. But I would assume the same things that make us valuable for raids would apply to fractals, although with social awkwardness (forcing players to spread out a bit) our group buffing abilities might be a bit more limited than usual.

3) sPvP: in a very good place right now. I used to run a standard sword/dagger bunker and had success with that, and have now switched to LB/staff and doing even better. I’m really not that good (tier 3 silver in ranked this season), but I often walk away with 3+ top stats on my druid.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

@Tragic Positive To put it into perspective. I used to run Smokescale/Bristleback exclusively (like almost every did). Ever since the pet change I started run smokescale/fire wyvern. Because wyvern is the best cleave pet in the game. And its auto attack tracks INCREDIBLY well once it starts firing now. (it has a lunge attached to both parts of the attack now)

In raids druids are part of the meta. Though we still have the public view of being buff bots our condi build as stated above is extremely competitive.

I havn’t done fractals in a long time But I imagine we are usefull their as well.

In SPvP I have seen people work with various types of builds. I personally run a Paladins amulet dps oriented build and have significant success with it. Though most druids still prefer the more defensive/support oriented builds.

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I really appreciate the feedback so far.

@Fluffball
Is that so? That’s some amazing news! If the Electric Wyvern hits, I might actually reconsider my return. Pets being reliable was technically the only thing that I couldn’t get over.

After going through some charts, Rangers seem to be high on personal DPS as well. And hearing from you about being viable even in PvP is encouraging.

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for, in case I return? Like accidentally entering PvE in berserker gear and being considered a dinosaur or something.

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

In PvP: Druid is viable. Pets became better, but I still end up mostly with bristleback/smokescale. They buffed GS a bit so you see a little more damage-oriented builds these days. But I feel that staff is still quite mandatory to be succesful in the higher PvP tiers. They nerfed CA also, but I don’t know if you were still playing back then. They increased its cooldown en reduced its heal effectiveness, as they did with healing in general.

in Ranger

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Ranger is extremely op right now. Still has a virtual monopoly on the healing role while the condi build has the highest DPS on normal hit boxes of any class other than an extremely well played condi engi. Since condi ranger is so easy to play especially compared to engi, for most people it is highest DPS. Right now raid groups with 4-6 rangers is fairly normal.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

@HeadCrowned
Yes, I quit exactly at that point of time. It was the patch that made me realize I no longer enjoy my Ranger.

I’m really glad that you guys are doing so well. It really moves my heart that the state of Rangers has moved such a great deal, if what most of you say is true.
I’m considering I’ll give it a try, then.

About armor and stuff… Since I most definitely won’t be in a professional guild after such a long time – is berserker considered viable for pug Fractals? Or shall I get Magi/Cleric? … Or steal the Viper from my Engie? I’d rather avoid dragging people down for my lack of knowledge.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Welcome back, mate.

Move Viper armor to Ranger and if your Engineer doesn’t already have Berserker, move any ascended Berserker to the Engineer. Power Engineer is easier to play than Condition Engineer and has competitive DPS for what it requires.

Magi is still dominant for the Healer role. Before you think about trying out the recent condition-healing stat addition of Seraph (condition/precision/healing/concentration) – don’t. Hybrids the role too much that you become sub-par in both healing and condition damage.

Feel free to check out updated DPS of pets since the February patch (in signature), but note that Drakes are bugged, so use Wyverns.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Wow… It looks like I’ve missed so much.

Also, amazing job, Wondrouswall. That chart is a wonderful piece of data for sure.
Also also, thank you for informing me about the stat optimization.

It looks like I’ll be joining the party, shortly. It already feels good to be back.

Thanks everyone for your intel. I really appreciate it.

in Ranger

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

As someone who does fractals daily, druids are a welcome sight. Condi and healer are both used, no one seems to care if you bring power either…so long as those Grace stacks are kept up, frost spirit/spotter are up and you have good control of the pet, groups won’t complain. Healer is a little less useful in a high level fractal as most runners know what they are doing and the healing is a bit excessive. Condi is perfect though, fights are usually long enough for your conditions to do their thing.

Vipers all the things with 4 nightmare runes/2 trapper’s runes is the ‘meta’ at the moment for condi. Magi is the standard meta healer.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

@rabidsmiles
Thank you a thousand times for your knowledge. That’s exactly the feedback I was hoping for.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

As someone who hasn’t played for a year and only recently started again, what changed?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

As someone who hasn’t played for a year and only recently started again, what changed?

Basically, they work. Before the update the couldn’t hit anything and now they can hit things. It’s a really good pet now because their skills were always solid, they just didn’t land.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Hello everyone.

I’ve been out of the picture for a very, very long time and I accidentally stumbled upon an interesting patch that took place a few months back.
As you could say, I wasn’t really in a mood of studying all the possible changes, outcomes, data and results for all that time, so I’d like to ask you, fellow ranger for an opinion.

How is the Ranger(Druid) doing today? What is our role and how efficient are we? Are we still buff-bot condition PvE and Bunkers for PvP?

Please,tell me your opinions on:
1) Raids
2) Fractal Speed runs
3) PvP (structured PvP only, I’ve never played WvW, nor do I intend to)

And lastly… There was supposed to be a huge change for pets on moving targets. Do pets actually work now?

Thank you all for your answers!

1) still good. Druid has the same uses of old ranger in old dungeons, as a buff bot, the heals is some collateral effect.
2) Condi is the one used. Same uses as for raids.
3) Shout bow build, with menders. Still bunker i’m afraid.
4) No. Melee Pets still can’t connect with fast moving targets, anything with swiftness really. Only pets still bristle and smoke, tiger for some niche uses.

Ranger in general nerfed (yes again), Druid still boring as hell.

No build variety, no fun.

My advise: if you see the trait empathic bond moved out from WS traitline, that could be a sign Anet decided to begin lo listen players that have thousands of hours of experience with that class.

Not worth it yet.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!