Busting the Myth of Useless Pets

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Its no myth. They are useless. Ranger Pets don’t respond to F1-F4 for me except for maybe the 1st target I send them after. After that its all a crapshoot and I usually need to resummon a new pet for them to work properly again. Fix this kitten.

Ehh, they respond just fine for me

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Its no myth. They are useless. Ranger Pets don’t respond to F1-F4 for me except for maybe the 1st target I send them after. After that its all a crapshoot and I usually need to resummon a new pet for them to work properly again. Fix this kitten.

Ehh, they respond just fine for me

Yep, same here. It’s only F2 that can react a little slowly, because of the skill channel, or because the pet is using another skill. When using F1, F3, and F4, the pet react instantly. I can often pull it out of an AoE area, with F3, before it gets hit, and then use F1 to make it attack again.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Clovis.7386

Clovis.7386

lol, it’s funny that you think my experience with the Rangers signets is bias, yet you try to disprove it by using math.

I never said you were bias, simply that it is one of 3 possibilities. And yes, math is good =).

The pet mechanic is still the Ranger’s weakness until it can be reliable and work as intended.

in Ranger

Posted by: irrimn.3192

irrimn.3192

I think a lot of the points made in this thread are fairly valid, however, I don’t feel like we should HAVE to play to accommodate 40% of our damage which other classes get just off of their regular attacks. If I could have no pet and get that 40% damage added to my regular damage, I would GLADLY.

It’s threads like this honestly, that make me think about rolling a Warrior.

Also, about the whole AOE thing, some AOEs are not avoidable and a lot of the time you can’t swap your pet out often enough. Case in point, the dredge mining suit boss. He has bombs which 1-shot my pet even if I can dodge-roll out of them. He also has an area-wide AOE effect which inflicts agony, so even if the initial damage doesn’t kill my pet, agony does. On top of that fact, he does 1 of those 2 attacks typically every 10 seconds, so there is no way you can switch your pet out every 10 seconds.

So, yes, I do think pets needs AOE damage reduction. Personally I think 75-90% sounds adequate even if some of you were saying that it’s overkill. Going back to my case in point, the dredge boss pounds on the ground several times, and my pet’s entire life bar is taken in 1-2 pounds. IE he dies 2-3 times over. If he had 75% AOE reduction then he might live — besides the fact that 1 tick of agony ALSO kills my pet. So I think pets should also inherit agony resistance from their owners (because even if I have 25 AR, he takes damage as though he has 0, so 1 tick of agony is all it takes.)

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

If the devs don’t add agony resistance/immunity to our pets in the next patch, I seriously have to question their competence.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I think a lot of the points made in this thread are fairly valid, however, I don’t feel like we should HAVE to play to accommodate 40% of our damage which other classes get just off of their regular attacks. If I could have no pet and get that 40% damage added to my regular damage, I would GLADLY.

It’s threads like this honestly, that make me think about rolling a Warrior.

Also, about the whole AOE thing, some AOEs are not avoidable and a lot of the time you can’t swap your pet out often enough. Case in point, the dredge mining suit boss. He has bombs which 1-shot my pet even if I can dodge-roll out of them. He also has an area-wide AOE effect which inflicts agony, so even if the initial damage doesn’t kill my pet, agony does. On top of that fact, he does 1 of those 2 attacks typically every 10 seconds, so there is no way you can switch your pet out every 10 seconds.

So, yes, I do think pets needs AOE damage reduction. Personally I think 75-90% sounds adequate even if some of you were saying that it’s overkill. Going back to my case in point, the dredge boss pounds on the ground several times, and my pet’s entire life bar is taken in 1-2 pounds. IE he dies 2-3 times over. If he had 75% AOE reduction then he might live — besides the fact that 1 tick of agony ALSO kills my pet. So I think pets should also inherit agony resistance from their owners (because even if I have 25 AR, he takes damage as though he has 0, so 1 tick of agony is all it takes.)

Use a devourer pet when fighting against the dredge boss. The devourer will always stay at a distance, unless it’s too far away to hit the boss, meaning you only have to worry about it when the boss casts a ranged attack, or the pet aggros the boss. In which case you press F3 to move it out of AoE/aggro, and then F1 to make it attack again. Because the devourer (or spider) stays still, as long as it can hit, it makes it a lot easier to keep an eye on it. Compared to using a bear, which always runs around all over the place (although bears can still be good if you need a distraction while reviving an ally). Also keep in mind how you use pet switching when your pet dies. If you are low on health, you need the pet to revive you (you can still use F4 while downed). If you are using “Search and Rescue”, you’ll want to use a pet that’s at full health, to revive an ally. But generally, you want to wait until the boss has used an attack, so you don’t risk loosing both your pets in a row.

All attacks from the dredge boss are rather easy to avoid. In case of the bombs; as long as your devourer stays at a distance, there should only be one red circle around it (all other bombs are aimed at players), which is easy to avoid as long as you press F3 fast enough. But you can also have the pet stay close to you, and then use Whirling Defense (off-hand axe) to reflect the bombs back at the boss. Or if you have a Mesmer in your party, then have him use Feedback on the boss, to reflect all the bombs back on the boss. The forwards double punch attack, only hits in melee distance, so you don’t have to worry about that, when it comes to your pet. The ground punch attack is also only melee range, except for the agony. But your pet shouldn’t die from one tick, as one agony tick is equal to 12.5% health up to level 20, and 25% health up to level 30. All you have to do is switch pets to avoid it.

Just for the record; I agree with giving AoE damage reduction to the pet. But we don’t have that now, so we have to make due with what we got. However, it is also a good thing to learn how to manage your pet in these tough situations, as it will only contribute to improving your gameplay.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

And here’s my suggestion: pets can rally the player, rangers should be able to rally their pets. A bond is a two-way street, Anet, we support one another.

This. And you used to be able to revive pets, as well, back in the beta. Even other players could revive pets. I’d be ok with making that just the ranger only being able to do it for their own pets.

I might try a moa the next time I do AC (which is every day, just about) and get to Lt. Kohler. Any pet that gets anywhere near him IS useless.

It’s better the way it is now. When we were able to rez pets, then you would either have a dead pet on top of an ally so that your pet would get rezzed instead of your teammate or the time it took to rez them wasn’t worth it since you could just swap pets a few seconds later without losing combat time.

in Ranger

Posted by: irrimn.3192

irrimn.3192

Use a devourer pet when fighting against the dredge boss. The devourer will always stay at a distance, unless it’s too far away to hit the boss, meaning you only have to worry about it when the boss casts a ranged attack, or the pet aggros the boss. In which case you press F3 to move it out of AoE/aggro, and then F1 to make it attack again. Because the devourer (or spider) stays still, as long as it can hit, it makes it a lot easier to keep an eye on it. Compared to using a bear, which always runs around all over the place (although bears can still be good if you need a distraction while reviving an ally). Also keep in mind how you use pet switching when your pet dies. If you are low on health, you need the pet to revive you (you can still use F4 while downed). If you are using “Search and Rescue”, you’ll want to use a pet that’s at full health, to revive an ally. But generally, you want to wait until the boss has used an attack, so you don’t risk loosing both your pets in a row.

All attacks from the dredge boss are rather easy to avoid. In case of the bombs; as long as your devourer stays at a distance, there should only be one red circle around it (all other bombs are aimed at players), which is easy to avoid as long as you press F3 fast enough. But you can also have the pet stay close to you, and then use Whirling Defense (off-hand axe) to reflect the bombs back at the boss. Or if you have a Mesmer in your party, then have him use Feedback on the boss, to reflect all the bombs back on the boss. The forwards double punch attack, only hits in melee distance, so you don’t have to worry about that, when it comes to your pet. The ground punch attack is also only melee range, except for the agony. But your pet shouldn’t die from one tick, as one agony tick is equal to 12.5% health up to level 20, and 25% health up to level 30. All you have to do is switch pets to avoid it.

Just for the record; I agree with giving AoE damage reduction to the pet. But we don’t have that now, so we have to make due with what we got. However, it is also a good thing to learn how to manage your pet in these tough situations, as it will only contribute to improving your gameplay.

Sorry, when I said tick I meant stack. IE; he gets agony on him and before it finishes, he is dead. So unless I save my swap out for specifically right when he uses the ground pound attack, he is dead. Also the AOE damage from the ground punch is not melee-only range, it has a MUCH larger radius that that. I’m not actually able to find the actual distance but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was at least 2000 range. And given that my pet can’t dodge to avoid any of the damage or agony, he dies every time unless I swap him out. Furthermore, the bombs seemingly ALWAYS shoot at my pet also so even if he is ranged he is always standing right on top of a bomb. So unless I’m able to dodge roll out of the bombs shot at me while simultaneously calling my pet back and hoping that he runs out of the circle-of-death, he dies since 1 bomb is enough to 1-shot ANY pet. On top of the fact that the dredge boss uses 1 of these 2 attacks every 10 seconds pretty much guarantees I can’t swap my pet out that often and I end up with a dead pet and a 60-second cooldown on my swap.

I’m glad you agree that we need AOE damage resist on our pets, because honestly in fights like that (or others like the cliffside fractal where the boss lays down lots of red circles that all inflict agony) my pet is dead 75% of the time, which drastically lowers my DPS no matter how hard I try to keep him alive.

in Ranger

Posted by: Thee.4826

Thee.4826

Thank you for the post. It’s truly an eye-opener, I never even thought of recalling my pet before the aoe strikes… dumb… but well, now I know better haha. Thanks again, I will surely try out your strategies. Hope the forum has more posts like yours.

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

Thank you for the post. It’s truly an eye-opener, I never even thought of recalling my pet before the aoe strikes… dumb… but well, now I know better haha. Thanks again, I will surely try out your strategies. Hope the forum has more posts like yours.

Glad you liked it, and I hope more new rangers see this

Also, I updated the post to remove the thing about Drakes being bugged, coz they got fixed

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Chinnaru.4359

Chinnaru.4359

Why not a skill that rallies the pet? Pet problem solved.
Now to fix the Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: met.9653

met.9653

Dont change pet stats or mechanic, just remove cd on swap. Best def. for pet is swap. Ofc. remove all boons related to swap like quickness.

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

show me a pet which one hit frequently mooving targets. show me a usefull pet at zerging or at tower deffense-attack.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

show me a pet which one hit frequently mooving targets. show me a usefull pet at zerging or at tower deffense-attack.

I know the guide is old but did you even read it? o_O

Those 2 things are tackled by the guide.

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Well it’s been 7 months since this topic was made and most will agree the pets are not only useless but a liability in both dungeons and WvW.

Dungeons: Either being 1 shot by bosses or being pulled out of combat continuously to avoid death, either way, 40% of your dps is lost (name another class with that handicap)

WvW: Self explanatory; pets cannot go into zergs, and the ranged pets continually miss (unless your target is standing still which rarely happens)

Trait into Beastmastery you say? Sure if you want to catastrophically hurt your class in WvW. No matter how good somebody is, or how much they like to solo/roam in WvW, that build’s capabilities is completely inferior to what’s available.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

Of course, OP doesn’t take into account the people who want their Guild Wars 1 characters back. In GW1, there was variety with rangers. You could take a pet when it would offer an advantage (or if you just like the mechanics/aesthetics of it), or you could choose not to use it. Rangers who preferred not to use the pet have nowhere to go in GW2. My other favorite profession was the dervish…and those are gone, too. What the hell does Anet they expect me to do here?

Edit: I’m going to add that micromanaging often doesn’t work properly in my experience. If the big nasty you’re fighting targets you with AoE, recalling the pet doesn’t do anything. You can dodge the hit, whether at a distance or in melee range, but your pet can’t. The basic problem is that the combat system is entirely based around dodging and blocking, and pets cannot do either. The icing on the cake is that, despite the importance of moving while attacking, pets can’t do that, either.

(edited by Unholy Pillager.3791)

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

A Pet is fine too in solo content. Everyone knows this.

Where it’s not fine, is in group content for the same reasons that a Thief who dies often is also considered terrible while a Warrior or Guardian or Mesmer (or even a Grenade Engie) who does the same thing, gets a free pass.

That is to say:
They have no Group Damage/Boon support or Reflects to fall back on.

It’s not even their personal DPS… so you could stack all the Might on them you can, and it still wouldn’t matter to the rest of the team because they CAN’T SEE the effects of it. All they can see on their screens is the stacks of boons on themselves or the stacks of blind, Vuln, Confuses & Reflects on the Boss. IE: Pets need a bunch more pure Support skills while in Heel/Passive mode. ….this was something I had been saying for a year or two on Guru before the game was even released. It was completely ignored and the whole class suffers now due to that.

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Well it’s been 7 months since this topic was made and most will agree the pets are not only useless but a liability in both dungeons and WvW.

Dungeons: Either being 1 shot by bosses or being pulled out of combat continuously to avoid death, either way, 40% of your dps is lost (name another class with that handicap)

WvW: Self explanatory; pets cannot go into zergs, and the ranged pets continually miss (unless your target is standing still which rarely happens)

Trait into Beastmastery you say? Sure if you want to catastrophically hurt your class in WvW. No matter how good somebody is, or how much they like to solo/roam in WvW, that build’s capabilities is completely inferior to what’s available.

Hmm, yeah that’s outdated. We don’t need points in BM like we did before the April patch that buffed pet survivability anymore. I don’t know about you, but my Drake has been into a zerg, survived long enough to do it’s lightning breath, and survived long enough to be swapped out. Were you perhaps using cats that is the equivalent of a glass cannon pet and expecting it to survive?

Of course, OP doesn’t take into account the people who want their Guild Wars 1 characters back. In GW1, there was variety with rangers. You could take a pet when it would offer an advantage (or if you just like the mechanics/aesthetics of it), or you could choose not to use it. Rangers who preferred not to use the pet have nowhere to go in GW2. My other favorite profession was the dervish…and those are gone, too. What the hell does Anet they expect me to do here?

Yes, I didn’t take that into account because, this is GW*2*, and this issue is relevant to GW*2*.

Edit: I’m going to add that micromanaging often doesn’t work properly in my experience. If the big nasty you’re fighting targets you with AoE, recalling the pet doesn’t do anything. You can dodge the hit, whether at a distance or in melee range, but your pet can’t. The basic problem is that the combat system is entirely based around dodging and blocking, and pets cannot do either. The icing on the cake is that, despite the importance of moving while attacking, pets can’t do that, either.

Well, this has always been the issue. The pet survivability buff helped, but we’re still waiting for the pet dodge/pet invulnerability that Robert talked about. Until then, we’re just going to have to grit our teeth and do our best to micro the pet. I’m hoping it’ll come sooner rather than later.

A Pet is fine too in solo content. Everyone knows this.

Where it’s not fine, is in group content for the same reasons that a Thief who dies often is also considered terrible while a Warrior or Guardian or Mesmer (or even a Grenade Engie) who does the same thing, gets a free pass.

That is to say:
They have no Group Damage/Boon support or Reflects to fall back on.

It’s not even their personal DPS… so you could stack all the Might on them you can, and it still wouldn’t matter to the rest of the team because they CAN’T SEE the effects of it. All they can see on their screens is the stacks of boons on themselves or the stacks of blind, Vuln, Confuses & Reflects on the Boss. IE: Pets need a bunch more pure Support skills while in Heel/Passive mode. ….this was something I had been saying for a year or two on Guru before the game was even released. It was completely ignored and the whole class suffers now due to that.

I have to agree with you. Players generally don’t understand pet mechanics and mostly underestimate ranger DPS with the pet. (The QQ posts here doesn’t help alleviate that at all). It’s a good thing that Brazil/Eugene is doing those ranger vids that quell those ideas.

Also, we already have great support skills in heel/passive mode. The problem is we can’t manually trigger them. I would love to trigger my moa’s AoE heal or my bird’s AoE swiftness on demand.

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Unholy Pillager.3791

I know this is GW2. My point was that many people who played GW1 are feeling betrayed by Anet because their favored play style was thoughtfully and deliberately removed from GW2, for no readily apparent reason. Many people like the archer archetype but dislike pets (and many people who like pets in other games dislike them in this one due to their numerous flaws). These people are left with no place to go, because Anet took that option out of the game completely. And, on top of that, the closest thing we get to the GW1 ranger still requires enormous micromanagement to get even close the the effectiveness that other professions have automatically.

I vaguely remember them saying that all playstyles from GW1 would be available in GW2. I call bullkitten.

in Ranger

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I know this is GW2. My point was that many people who played GW1 are feeling betrayed by Anet because their favored play style was thoughtfully and deliberately removed from GW2, for no readily apparent reason. Many people like the archer archetype but dislike pets (and many people who like pets in other games dislike them in this one due to their numerous flaws). These people are left with no place to go, because Anet took that option out of the game completely. And, on top of that, the closest thing we get to the GW1 ranger still requires enormous micromanagement to get even close the the effectiveness that other professions have automatically.

I vaguely remember them saying that all playstyles from GW1 would be available in GW2. I call bullkitten.

i doubt they said that within months of release, i mean it would obviously be false when you see there is no monk class at all.

Far as the liking bows thing, Anet said that these classes were made to do different things, not really made with aesthetics in mind. Ranger is the Pet/nature mechanic, not so much the bow class.

Now i think its theoretically possible for them to make a new class, lets call it marksman.
It specializes in prepartion type gameplay. With its special mechanic being tied to preparing your abilities, and reloading them through various gameplay mechanics.
it could have access to some strong ranged options, and a couple close quarter tactics,

But regardless, you arent going to get the full nature ranger aesthetic without pets in GW2

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

I raise you an interview in 2010 about rangers:

Having a pet is an integral part of being a ranger in Guild Wars 2. It is possible for a ranger to fight without a pet but fighting with a pet is always more effective. If a player wants to play a ranged character without a pet then they will very likely find one of the other professions more appealing. Every profession in the game has some sort of ranged option, be it magic, a bow, or a firearm.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/07/15/new-information-on-the-guild-wars-2-ranger-massivelys-intervie/

About the possible to fight without a pet statement, its vague if he meant that pets can be stowed or just put on passive as we do now.

Point being, they intended the ranger class to be a pet class while in development.

I kinda wish they still implemented pet growth though.. :-S

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Unholy Pillager.3791

I other words, if you like the GW1 ranger but dislike the GW2 pets, they don’t give a kitten about you.

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

I other words, if you like the GW1 ranger but dislike the GW2 pets, they don’t give a kitten about you.

I don’t get all this animosity. I mean I understand that there’s supposed to be some precedent, them being the same class, but GW1 and GW2 are different games. If you can’t accept that, then carry on with your bitterness.

Play GW1 if you like its rangers more?

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Unholy Pillager.3791

Basically, the fundamental problems I see at the foundation of the pet mechanic are the following:

1. No variety. Even the most staunch advocate of pets in their current state will tell you that you need to take the right pet for the right situation. Basically, this means that anyone who likes, for example, snow leopards is pretty much out of luck in many areas.

2. Lack of dodge mechanic. The entire combat system revolves around dodging and blocking as the primary means of damage mitigation, with movement and positioning also extremely important. Pets act like my GW1 dervish in Fort Aspenwood: charge into a pile of enemies and proceed to chain nasty skill combinations together until standing in a pile of corpses, find a new group of enemies, then repeat. Whenever I use melee in GW2, however, I find it necessary to move constantly and dodge regularly in order to reduce the amount of damage I take. At the very least, they need to make a PVE/PVP split in which pets are nearly invincible in PVE, so that the boss skills which humans have to dodge don’t affect rangers far more than any other profession.

As for playing GW1, it was pretty much deserted after GW2 came out. Besides, I like the combat mechanics in GW2…I just can’t find a class that fits me well.

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Basically, the fundamental problems I see at the foundation of the pet mechanic are the following:

1. No variety. Even the most staunch advocate of pets in their current state will tell you that you need to take the right pet for the right situation. Basically, this means that anyone who likes, for example, snow leopards is pretty much out of luck in many areas.

Sorry, but this is silly. You’re saying, let’s use a screwdriver to nail things with.

2. Lack of dodge mechanic. The entire combat system revolves around dodging and blocking as the primary means of damage mitigation, with movement and positioning also extremely important. Pets act like my GW1 dervish in Fort Aspenwood: charge into a pile of enemies and proceed to chain nasty skill combinations together until standing in a pile of corpses, find a new group of enemies, then repeat. Whenever I use melee in GW2, however, I find it necessary to move constantly and dodge regularly in order to reduce the amount of damage I take. At the very least, they need to make a PVE/PVP split in which pets are nearly invincible in PVE, so that the boss skills which humans have to dodge don’t affect rangers far more than any other profession.

Yes, I agree. I already mentioned this in my original reply to you. As for the pvp/pve split, while there looks like a need for it, ANe’t s response to it was they want to keep it as close to each other as possible to not overwork their balance team too much. I kinda see their point, but it’s hard to swallow when we get 2k leash range on pets in WvW

As for playing GW1, it was pretty much deserted after GW2 came out. Besides, I like the combat mechanics in GW2…I just can’t find a class that fits me well.

That’s understandable, but come on dude, that’s still not a reason to spoil everyone’s fun because you can’t.

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Unholy Pillager.3791

You didn’t understand my first point. I was saying that, out of all the pet choices we have, most of them are horrible for anything other than casual PVE. They give us some 40 pets, and yet 90% of the time I’m forced to use a bear, because anything else dies too quickly. Pets just feel so impersonal and expendable.

I’m not trying to ruin anything for anyone. I was happy with their work in Guild Wars 1, but it seems like they no longer listen to the player base to any significant extent, nor are they forthcoming with information about how they plan to fix these problems. Putting pets into the game without better AI and evasion mechanics was a horrible move, as was failing to put in a resurrection option other than pet swapping or leaving combat. On top of that, they did away with the marksman profession/archetype completely, thus leaving a huge portion of their ranger community out in the cold. How am I supposed to react to this?

in Ranger

Posted by: Heretic.3195

Heretic.3195

You didn’t understand my first point. I was saying that, out of all the pet choices we have, most of them are horrible for anything other than casual PVE. They give us some 40 pets, and yet 90% of the time I’m forced to use a bear, because anything else dies too quickly. Pets just feel so impersonal and expendable.

You must be using your pets totally wrong then. There’s so many ways for pets to be useful, just check out some of the guides that are on the internet. One of them being Jubskie’s awesome guide on pet usage. It’s seriously one of the best guides for pets atm, and it opened it up quite a lot of how I viewed my pet.
Now I can’t say that I can keep my pet all the time, but it’s rarely that my pet switch goes on a full 60sec cooldown. I’d suggest that you try and switch around according to which scenario you’re in. (For example the boss in CM p1, use spiders to keep him immobilized. The Red Moa can be useful by giving a 15sec fury buff for the whole party + a aoe heal etc etc). I’d say that your problem is that you’re thinking that pet should only gives raw DPS. Find two pets that synergises (I myself go canine/feline + a spider) and try something different than bears.

But what I do agree on is that switching pet makes them feel a bit impersonal. Why? Because their names go back to fricking “juvenile”. I know that they say that saving names for each pet for every ranger in the game takes a lot of space in the databases or something like that, but at least make the name stay between pet switching. That little details makes me wanna switch my pet a lot less than I should, just because it breaks my immersion and although writing a name for your pet takes less than 10 seconds, it’s still something they should fix.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ceois.5072

Ceois.5072

You are soooo right! I love rangers in games and i love pets. BUT i don’t like to be forced to play with a pet that i HAVE to play with for that situation.
I don’t want to use no MOA or other pets that i HAVE to use.

Can’t we sort of get almost all the pets to do the same thing and to have the possibility to pick the skills we want for them? At least for the ones we could because ATM i don’t see how a canine could do a range attack.

in Ranger

Posted by: one shot one kill.5734

one shot one kill.5734

most of these posts were 3 years ago, and i am new to the game. does anyone know if the balancing issue of these pets has been fixed at all?

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

most of these posts were 3 years ago, and i am new to the game. does anyone know if the balancing issue of these pets has been fixed at all?

Might want to start a new thread for this.

Wvw/pvp:

- Smokescale and Bristleback are the go to.

- Some might replace Bristleback with wolf.

- An odd few might go spiders or drakes.

- Everything else is quite irrelevant as they don’t bring enough to the table or dies too quickly.

Pve:
– Bristleback, cats, electric wyvern, pink moa

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

While it’s a spvp issue only and defo one on higher skill level (one i’m not yet on myself) i find pets annoying as hell for lack of evade. In spvp this can be a serious problem, and far so for your ranger then pet itself.

Necro (reaper) uses a shout, especially elite one? Well gg for dodging that, too bad pet didn’t and he still got his bonus for hitting a target thanks to that (especially if it’s stab stacks).

Berserker just needs to headbutt your pet and he’s off to running start with full adrenaline bar, whereas on another class (save maybe minion necro) you’d be rewarded with major head start for keeping the warrior starved for adrenaline. That would be especially helpful on ranger who lacks solid counters vs a warrior, and needs to kite to keep extremely bursty warr in check.

And dont’ get me started on dragon hunters and their ridicilous heal trap. Yes, pet does ruin their day for triggering all the other traps instead of you, but then it makes it gloriously bright for triggering heal trap which you yourself may at least try to avoid by staying at range. Same goes for lord on foefire. Lost one game cause i thought lord could handle it with support fire from me…but nope. heal trap, lord steps into it, guard’s hp back to high levels, lord kill, gg.

Other then this “minor” issue pets are pretty good these days, given you remember to swap them out before they die, choose them correctly (squishy pets will get owned in a player zerg without your support and control), and support them with some cripples/immobs on enemies to keep their damage going if they’re melee.

in Ranger

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Agreed. This is the ranger forum… not the necro one

in Ranger

Posted by: one shot one kill.5734

one shot one kill.5734

Wvw/pvp:

- Everything else is quite irrelevant as they don’t bring enough to the table or dies too quickly.

Pve:

I figured that even if it was an old post, it is relevant to what I was going to ask so I didn’t want to double post in a sense.

Also, thanks for the advice. I’m new, are those specific names for pets or pet classes?

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Wvw/pvp:

Pve:

I figured that even if it was an old post, it is relevant to what I was going to ask so I didn’t want to double post in a sense.

Also, thanks for the advice. I’m new, are those specific names for pets or pet classes?

Bristleback, smokescale, electric wyvern, wolf are specific pets.

Spiders, cats, drakes are pet classes, just pick w/e you like from them. Pets within the same class have the same set of skills just different F2 skill.

in Ranger

Posted by: Moderator

Locking this up to avoid further necroposting