Can we get a buff to shortbow now?

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Hidden Pistol, Lightning Reflexes

Yeah, like this one too. Love Hidden Pistol on non-ranger classes too, as a mini-LR.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

I got crazy idea regarding LOYF – while holding a SB, you can move backward and to the sides, with the same speed you move forward, 10% damage bonus while moving.

I like this idea. Fits well with the SB playstyle. I would want LoYF to keep piercing, in addition to the changes you suggest.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I’d love the Shortbow to go back to being a true hybrid weapon so it could function in a power role as well as a condi role. The most (and to be truthful, only) fun I had with the Ranger class was shortly after release when the attacks were faster, longer, and did more power damage. The other skills were mostly utility to help with kiting and control and it was a very dynamic and engaging way to play. The class has never been that fun since.

The problem with the Shortbow is the axe. They have the same range, very similar attacks, and due to the offhand, the axe can be pushed toward a condi, power, or utility playstyle. To make Shortbow stand out for the class may require changes to the Axe too. I really do think Infantrydiv is on the right track for both weapons.

If you make Axe #1 a melee chain that is more condi oriented and simply increase the damage on Shortbow #1 and increase its range somewhere, you’ll return Shortbow to the way it was at launch and make Axe and Shortbow very distinct weapons.

Alternatively, you make Axe #1 more of a melee power oriented chain with perhaps a twirl finisher on the final attack and you make it a utility/power weapon but still strong on condi builds while still allowing Shortbow to be a strong, distinct condi weapon.

Either approach is good but it’s important to broaden the gap in playstyle/utility of axe and shortbow without causing a problem with axe stepping on sword’s toes (which it shouldn’t since sword is a evasive melee weapon).

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I got crazy idea regarding LOYF – while holding a SB, you can move backward and to the sides, with the same speed you move forward, 10% damage bonus while moving.

I like this idea. Fits well with the SB playstyle. I would want LoYF to keep piercing, in addition to the changes you suggest.

LoYF would be pretty cool if it were -20% CD, piercing and 5s of Super Speed on dodge.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

I’m against the range increase for the SB. I think it should be a deadly mid-range weapon. it just goes with the theme.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

I’d love the Shortbow to go back to being a true hybrid weapon so it could function in a power role as well as a condi role. The most (and to be truthful, only) fun I had with the Ranger class was shortly after release when the attacks were faster, longer, and did more power damage. The other skills were mostly utility to help with kiting and control and it was a very dynamic and engaging way to play. The class has never been that fun since.

The problem with the Shortbow is the axe. They have the same range, very similar attacks, and due to the offhand, the axe can be pushed toward a condi, power, or utility playstyle. To make Shortbow stand out for the class may require changes to the Axe too. I really do think Infantrydiv is on the right track for both weapons.

If you make Axe #1 a melee chain that is more condi oriented and simply increase the damage on Shortbow #1 and increase its range somewhere, you’ll return Shortbow to the way it was at launch and make Axe and Shortbow very distinct weapons.

Alternatively, you make Axe #1 more of a melee power oriented chain with perhaps a twirl finisher on the final attack and you make it a utility/power weapon but still strong on condi builds while still allowing Shortbow to be a strong, distinct condi weapon.

Either approach is good but it’s important to broaden the gap in playstyle/utility of axe and shortbow without causing a problem with axe stepping on sword’s toes (which it shouldn’t since sword is a evasive melee weapon).

I still think that:
1. Rangers need a dedicated, ranged condition weapon. Sort of a ranger equivalent to necro scepter or engi p/p.

2. Making the shortbow a hybrid weapon is stepping on the toes of the longbow, whereas I believe the ideal situation is to have them coexist in separate niches.

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Ya ofc, i ment in addition to the piercing bonus.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I’m against the range increase for the SB. I think it should be a deadly mid-range weapon. it just goes with the theme.

If we are talking thematically, then it needs to be 1200 range. You can’t throw a torch, axe or dagger further than you can shoot an arrow from a short bow.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

If we are talking thematically, then it needs to be 1200 range. You can’t throw a torch, axe or dagger further than you can shoot an arrow from a short bow.

longbow is 1200+ range. SB should be medium range. thematically.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Here’s me thinking that LB was 1500 range. My point still stands, thematically, you cannot throw an axe further than you can shoot an arrow from a shortbow.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Here’s me thinking that LB was 1500 range. My point still stands, thematically, you cannot throw an axe further than you can shoot an arrow from a shortbow.

are we talking about axe?

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

I agree on the thematic stuff, but also agree with Mistsim on the SB being a deadly mid range weapon. Problem is, its not deadly at the moment.

I’m also strongly against any decrease in attack speed…. just dont!

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

are we talking about axe?

In a round about way, yeah. MH axe is 900 range, OH axe is 1200 range. If SB is to be medium range because it fits thematically, then it should also fit thematically that the range on a short bow is greater than the distance you can throw a torch, dagger or axe, all of which have a max range of 1200. Really, I don’t see why anyone would argue about a 150 range increase to Short bow on the grounds of it not fitting the mid range theme. Thief can shoot a pistol further than a Ranger can shoot a short bow. Makes no sense.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

so bring axes down to 600 and make them mega strong? I’m down for that, but theyre gonna need some serious work.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

so bring axes down to 600 and make them mega strong? I’m down for that, but theyre gonna need some serious work.

So make it work much in the same way vapor blades does? Instead of bounce they just pass through and return? That can’t be too difficult.

Just making them a melee range attack and the third attack you throw the axe in a circular path in front of you would be cool too. Especially if they could make it so if you have an axe in your off hand you throw 2 axes in a circular path in front of you kind of like a figure 8. Would be neat.

in Ranger

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

Skill 5, Daze/Stun should apply 3 stacks of confusion, 5 stacks if the player is successfully stunned.

It’s a common request and have no other purpose but create perplex rangers. We don’t need cheese, thanks.

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

I.Love.That.Change

in Ranger

Posted by: lxghostxl.5097

lxghostxl.5097

Just ask anet to lower cd on sharpening stone to help your sb damage output as well as other condi build. This wont make it op since its not always the best utility for other build.