Can you get rid of the pet permanently?

in Ranger

Posted by: BattleCat.2098

BattleCat.2098

I love my ranger, but I don’t always want my pet around. There are a lot of reasons why I won’t even bother go into. While we do have the “Stow pet” thing to get rid of it, it keeps popping back out all the time. Is it possible to make it stay away until you bring it back yourself?

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

No class can get rid of their class mechanic. It can change one Hot comes out with elite specialization.

Plus doing so would mean you lose roughly 30% of your dps.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

BattleCat.2098

You can play a necro without minions…

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

To be fair, Minions are a utility for Necros.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Well, you can play necro without DS though. But you are kitten and not playing the class to its advantages or to its fullest. Same goes for Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Pets really should be a utility for Rangers. It was frankly a bad idea to make the pet their “class mechanic”.

Having the entire class revolve around pets only works if use of pets is the entire identity of the class. That is not the case with rangers – it’s a broad archetype that houses many different potential identities. That’s why there’s always conflict about it.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

in Ranger

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

Pets really should be a utility for Rangers. It was frankly a bad idea to make the pet their “class mechanic”.

Having the entire class revolve around pets only works if use of pets is the entire identity of the class. That is not the case with rangers – it’s a broad archetype that houses many different potential identities. That’s why there’s always conflict about it.

Rangers is the designated pet class, so arena net might not get rid of the part short of a specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

The closest thing to not having a pet is to keep the pet on passive mode. You can then sometimes use their F2 while they’re constantly near you.

Some pets worth noting using like this:

• Red Moa (Fury)
  • Brown Bear (condition removal)
  • Wolf (Fear)
  • Drake Hound (Immobilize)
  • Fern Hound (Regeneration)

Amongst others. So just put the pet on passive and pick a good F2 skill you like.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Also, picking a Bear will make Protect Me and Emphatic Bond work more reliably because Bears have the most survivability.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Roll a guardian/dragon hunter.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

well that’s a silly request. some of us are actually enjoying the pets post patch.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

If you don’t like the pet on a pet class, why play a ranger??

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

There is an option. It’s called Signet of the Renewal.

1 click that will get erase your pet in seconds.
If you don’t want to sacrifice a utility slot for it…
We have an alternative called Empathic Bond. That one shuts your pet passively and permanently.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

I’m thinking Druid will introduce a ‘permanent pet passive mode’

• It’s a toggle, F5 when you equip elite spec Druid
  • When a pet is this mode, the player gains a passive buff based on the pet’s family
  • The F2 changes and becomes much more support oriented
  • The F2 doesnt put the pet in combat mode in this ‘permanent passive mode’
  • Enemies ignore the pet, the pet doesn’t pull aggro in and out of combat.
  • You can switch back to the ‘normal’ mode but then the permanent passive mode goes on CD

The pet could have a different graphical effect; Maybe look all ethereal or spirity? Semitransparent etc, like a spirit

(edited by ProtoMarcus.7649)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

You can kill your pet via falling damage and it won’t revive itself.

You’ll absolutely suck without your pet, but if you really don’t want him, that’s an option.

in Ranger

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

Don’t spec into BM and just enjoy the pet as another passive damage source.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

By the way – today I had a funny moment.

My pet died – and I could revive him just like a dead NPC. Of course I hit the swap button as soon as my combat went away but I really liked the moment when 5 party members kneel down to help your precious minion get up on his feet.
#kawai

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

As much as I love our animal companion, there are some situations where having an extra body that lacks finesse can screw over a plan. Enemies like leeching Thrashers for instance. Having to watch my best friend, who I’ve told should stay out of combat stand “next” to me on the other side of the arena in a death field isn’t fun.

I don’t even care if it’s literally just enabling the stow button in combat, it’d just save Rangers the Leeching Thrasher, Risen Abomination, Lupi making grubs off pets type of problems.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Roll a guardian/dragon hunter.

Dragon hunter will be the new ranger

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

I like pressing f2 and it doesnt do the skill because the target moved out of range.

Bad Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Klonko.8341

Klonko.8341

Now post patch, you can build tanky all you want and still output decent direct damage because of the pets!

Note: One of my doge bited someone for 6k3. One of my raven did 5k + X on a f2 (he was enlarged too). Thats how strong pet can be now that remorseless and bm are both viable.

Raining Rainbows lvl 80 ranger ~~~~~ SBI server

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

You can always try outrunning it.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

You can always try outrunning it.

There is this great old song about the Boston subway. You used to have to pay when you got off so in the song this guy runs out of money and just rides the subway for the rest of his life.

For some reason your comment reminded me of that.

Edit: Song, cuz its awesome.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

No class can get rid of their class mechanic. It can change one Hot comes out with elite specialization.

Plus doing so would mean you lose roughly 30% of your dps.

Every class can get rid of their class mechanic except the ranger. Never heard of a mesmer who was forced to shatter while take fall damage or enters water. Never heard of a necros who was forced to enter death shroud when combat starts. Never heard of elementalist attunements changing without pushing the f-keys. Or of warriors adrenaline blinding him in jumping puzzles. Or of thiefs who automatically use their steal and were unable to get achievements in biss fights.

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

BattleCat.2098

Sorry for late response, peeps. But before this gets too out of hand, I could explain a few things. I do enjoy my ranger, and I do enjoy fighting alongside the pet. If I didn’t, I’d just play a thief with a bow instead. Or a warrior. Or any other non-pet classes.

However, the problem is that while the game downscale you to areas you have outleveled, it isn’t exactly fool proof. Meaning if you are level 40 going to Metrica Province, you’ll be godlike, even with the downscaling. Of course, this is in part my own fault, as I’m still using lvl 40 gear. Switching to starter-gear should make things a lot more interesting.

However, it also means a high-level Ranger in low-level areas going for map completion don’t need a pet. Vistas, PoI’s, hero points etc can often be done without fighting at all (other than hero points bosses). Also, there are the cities, like Rata Sum. A pet here is just annoying. The problem is that even in the cities, my pet shows up all the time. got a bit hurt? The pet shows up to protect you – even if you got hurt by falling after trying to reach a vista, or took a “shortcut” by jumping down to the floor below.

What I want to do is get rid of the pet until I call it back manually. There is already a command to get rid of the pet, but I want it to last until I call the pet back, not until I take damage or enter combat. This isn’t really a combat issue, but more a convenience issue.