Chances for a true shapeshifter? (Soulbeast)

in Ranger

Posted by: Adenin.5973

Adenin.5973

All that separates a soulbeast from a true shapeshifter is:

- ingame model(s) + animation
- changing the weapon(+utility?) skills to corresponding beast skills in the beast form
(no need for entirely new skills, just animations. You have shortbow + merged with a meele pet? Now you have meele shortbow skills in a beast form, don’t like it? Then merge with a ranged pet archetype.)

But instead we got a green aura that doesn’t even care what pet we merged our SOUL with. All we get is 2-3 skills and 2 of them are the same for many pets (unless they reworked all the current pet skills) and the third is only depending on the few archetypes.

I am pretty disappointed about the Soulbeast, at this point not necessarily mechanically wise but because I find it visually underwhelming and a bit weird and lame that there are so many skills in the game that alter your skills, appearances etc. completely but with the single one class where this stuff (visual representation of your stance or pet you merged) would really matter, they went with the cheapest way possible.

With an elite spec that is now already similar but still not that close to the theme of a (WoW) druid/shapeshifter, how likely will it be that we could see a true shapeshifter elite spec for ranger?
How about a elite spec for another class?
How about an entire new class?

What do you guys think?

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

All that separates a soulbeast from a true shapeshifter is:

- ingame model(s) + animation
- changing the weapon(+utility?) skills to corresponding beast skills in the beast form
(no need for entirely new skills, just animations. You have shortbow + merged with a meele pet? Now you have meele shortbow skills in a beast form, don’t like it? Then merge with a ranged pet archetype.)

But instead we got a green aura that doesn’t even care what pet we merged our SOUL with. All we get is 2-3 skills and 2 of them are the same for many pets (unless they reworked all the current pet skills) and the third is only depending on the few archetypes.

I am pretty disappointed about the Soulbeast, at this point not necessarily mechanically wise but because I find it visually underwhelming and a bit weird and lame that there are so many skills in the game that alter your skills, appearances etc. completely but with the single one class where this stuff (visual representation of your stance or pet you merged) would really matter, they went with the cheapest way possible.

With an elite spec that is now already similar but still not that close to the theme of a (WoW) druid/shapeshifter, how likely will it be that we could see a true shapeshifter elite spec for ranger?
How about a elite spec for another class?
How about an entire new class?

What do you guys think?

I think that ends up being a thousand times more work. I’d much rather have their extra time, effort and resources fixing core Ranger, Druid and pets, than trying to deliver a “WoW” Druid.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

I think that ends up being a thousand times more work. I’d much rather have their extra time, effort and resources fixing core Ranger, Druid and pets, than trying to deliver a “WoW” Druid.

4-5 new beast models with animation sets and skill conversions to the beast skills.
Sounds about as much work as you would expect for a new elite spec.

I personally don’t care about “fixing” core ranger because core ranger is imo pretty fine. I main one and it deals tons of damage has good survivability, imo the druid made it even better.
Also with that argument we could just scrap the entire new expansion and just “fix” old stuff. Doesn’t really make sense to me.

But my point is really that the new ranger spec doesn’t seem to bring anything new or exciting to the table. Doesn’t alter the class experience as much as I would’ve hoped. I saw so much potential for it and it turns out that it’s just a new aura and 3 skills.

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

4-5 new beast models with animation sets and skill conversions to the beast skills.
Sounds about as much work as you would expect for a new elite spec.

I personally don’t care about “fixing” core ranger because core ranger is imo pretty fine. I main one and it deals tons of damage has good survivability, imo the druid made it even better.
Also with that argument we could just scrap the entire new expansion and just “fix” old stuff. Doesn’t really make sense to me.

But my point is really that the new ranger spec doesn’t seem to bring anything new or exciting to the table. Doesn’t alter the class experience as much as I would’ve hoped. I saw so much potential for it and it turns out that it’s just a new aura and 3 skills.

Well, as many have begged for 5 years… Soulbeast makes us a “petless” Ranger that benefits from the stowed pet. There are skills from each pet, and pet family, that we can use. Apparently we also receive stat boosts when combined with pets.

When I look at professions I think of wvw and spvp a lot. Core Ranger “stuff” and pets sucks in those areas. Druid is clunky as all get out. Our melee damage sucks overall. Soulbeast seems to be a subpar D/D thief so far, so I have my concerns… Sure, would be nice to do all sorts of crazy cool stuff for Ranger, but at what cost? Do we put a really cool bow tie on a piece of garbage and sell it as something great?

Took the dev team 5 years to touch sword (still sucks). 5 years to touch SB. Pets lol. So I am in favor of great new stuff, but reality comes back in a week and we are still playing a subpar profession overall.

Edit- Yes, anet goes the cheap route with every profession, weapon, animations, skill effects, combat systems like condi designs, stealth designs… they do more number shuffling as opposed to digging in and providing substantial improvements… poor heal and non heal support designs… build diversity is poor… list goes on, so it’s not just limited to the new ranger elite.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

As much as I would LOVE a true shapeshifter, it’ll probably never happen because it goes against the lore of GW2.

In Lore only Norn are supposed to shapeshift, but that might get retconned due to heart events etc

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

And in the game norn barely even get their shapeshifting power. The single biggest reason why I don’t play norn.

in Ranger

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

As much as I would LOVE a true shapeshifter, it’ll probably never happen because it goes against the lore of GW2.

In Lore only Norn are supposed to shapeshift, but that might get retconned due to heart events etc

Players of any race shapeshift in the game. Several quests do it. There are also potions.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

as much as i’ve wanted to play a shapeshifter since WoW, im pretty happy with the SB. I like the visuals.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wulf.5431

Wulf.5431

Personally very happy with the way soul beast works. If the spec actually turned into an animal, you wouldn’t get to see your armor, which is a huge reason I hate playing wow druids. Plus it would take away current weapon skills.

in Ranger

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

And then you have countless rage threads in the forums about how the shapeshifted models look ugly, they block fashion and hide legendary auras.

Did you install the game yesterday?

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Form follows function.

Also, I much prefer getting the skills on top of still having access to weapon skills. It creates much more build diversity that way.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

And then you have countless rage threads in the forums about how the shapeshifted models look ugly, they block fashion and hide legendary auras.

You could just make the “beastform” a single trait. If you don’t want that you can still have your green aura.

Makes no real difference if you’re in beastform or not, all that would change are the attack animations and that in some beastforms all (or almost all) of your weapon skills get converted to meele skills and in some forms your weapon skills get converted to ranged beastform skills.
Without beastform, with just your green aura, you can use raged/meele depending on your weapon type and you would still get your extra 3 beast skills+ buffs etc.

Believe it or not but there are ways to make almost everyone happy.

in Ranger

RabbitUp.8294

You could just make the “beastform” a single trait. If you don’t want that you can still have your green aura.

Makes no real difference if you’re in beastform or not, all that would change are the attack animations and that in some beastforms all (or almost all) of your weapon skills get converted to meele skills and in some forms your weapon skills get converted to ranged beastform skills.
Without beastform, with just your green aura, you can use raged/meele depending on your weapon type and you would still get your extra 3 beast skills+ buffs etc.

Believe it or not but there are ways to make almost everyone happy.

So the should have developed a second elite spec and put it behind a ttait.

Talking about realistic expectations.

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

So the should have developed a second elite spec and put it behind a ttait.

Talking about realistic expectations.

Do you think adding a green glowing aura is enough visually for a elite specialization? No? Well then why is adding a Beastform a SECOND elite spec?

Again. I don’t think you understood it. You have the Soulbeast in it’s current form. That’s the mechanical aspect of this elite spec.
Then you have the Beastform OR the green glowing aura as a trait choice. The main point of the aura or beastform is visuals. (of course this choice has potential to offer different playstyle too)

The green aura is something the devs can make in a few days. The Beastform needs many new skill icons but the skills themselves stay (other than maybe changing from ranged to meele or vice versa) the same. They just need different attack animations but that’s not that difficult, you can just slap some generic animal animations on there, like it’s done with all the other skills in the game that alter your appereance, which would still feel way better than just a green aura.

The entire point of this thread is, that imo the soulbeast does feel rushed. I played games where I dropped a single new weapon for my character and it altered my playstyle and appearance more than the new “soulbeast”.
The point I made is that Anet went the cheapest possible route with that spec for the visuals.
That’s why I (and I saw many others in the last few days) am pretty disappointed.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

in Ranger

RabbitUp.8294

You are very much describing a different elite spec. Changes to the profession mechanic, changes to skills, changes to visuals, a kit-like mechanic based on the merged pet.

This is not what traits do, you don’t change the entire spec based on a trait. Nor would they ever develop 2 different specs and have one hidden behind a trait.

Neither your suggestion of purely visual changes makes sense. Traits are not fashion toggles.

You want a transformation-based elite spec. It wouldn’t work for the reasons stated above.

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

Changes to the profession mechanic, changes to skills, changes to visuals, a kit-like mechanic based on the merged pet.

-The skills only change meele /ranged depending on the pet you merged with.
-We already got a kit like mechanic with the soulbeast based on the merged pet.

You are very much describing a different elite spec.
This is not what traits do, you don’t change the entire spec based on a trait. Nor would they ever develop 2 different specs and have one hidden behind a trait.

You still talk about different specs hidden behind traits which makes still no sense to me. Especially when you then go on in the next sentence and complain that traits are no “fashion toggles”.

Neither your suggestion of purely visual changes makes sense. Traits are not fashion toggles.

So what is it now, 2 different spec or 2 different visuals hidden behind a trait. You can’t complain about both.

I am talking mainly about visuals. To say that traits can’t change visuals is imo narrow minded. This is an expansion, by its very nature it’s supposed to add new things to the game. Also, I explained that Beastform is mainly visual but has of course some potential to change your playstyle. It’s overall still a meaningful trait with a focus on visuals. There would be far worse traits already in the game.

Also:
They could just give you the Beastform as a minor, passive trait and the NEW thing about this expansion could be that you could disable or enable minors.
This would then for example also mean that you can play a reaper with the core deathshroud and if anet wants some class mechanics that can’t be disabled they wouldn’t give them to you through a minor trait but trough a little symbol in the elite spec (similar of how you enable your new weapon in a elite spec).

You want a transformation-based elite spec. …

Exactly that’s what I want and that’s the reason why I asked people on how likely it is that we’ll get that, because I know that the soulbeast is similar to a shapeshifter but of course it isn’t one.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kreed.2768

Kreed.2768

We have laziest devs in all mmo market when it comes to customization, so no, not gonna happen.

My impression isn’t that they’re lazy at all, but it feels very much that they’re tied to a certain budget (no doubt set by ncsoft), so it’s likely more a matter of limited resources and for them to figure out how to best allocate those resources to get the most out of them. Sp you’ll sometimes see recycled skeleton animations on new skills and things like that. In return you’ll be getting a set of mounts, each with their own, unique animations. This isn’t Blizzard, who can fund their projects with big budgets that cover all aspects easily and allow for mistakes or even complete revamps of projects (see Project Titan, which became Overwatch).

Sorry for going off-topic.

Lover of longbow rangers.
Party Hard in GW2!
My YouTube Channel!

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

We have laziest devs in all mmo market when it comes to customization, so no, not gonna happen.

I wouldn’t call them the “laziest”, especially when we already have so much customization in certain areas, so many transformation skills, potions, all with different animations, skills, attacks, mechanics, models etc, also think about all the transformations and unique skills and mechanics throughout the story.

That’s why I don’t understand that such a huge thing like an elite spec, that’s supposed to keep people for the next 2 years playing, gets so little attention in comparison.

I mean look at the weaver, they got 40+ new skills with insane effects etc. I guess every expansion they only pick one elite spec where they invest heavily in the visuals.

The soulbeast was clearly not picked this time.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daerian.6523

Daerian.6523

-The skills only change meele /ranged depending on the pet you merged with.

If you really think such change is “only” change and this is such small change… there is no need for further discussion.

Hint: It’s balance nightmare.

in Ranger

Posted by: BadSanta.6527

BadSanta.6527

My problem with the soul beast is the animation , it seems more like an green lantern core thief rather then merge with pet this is so sad compare to all the rest of the e specs

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

If you really think such change is “only” change and this is such small change… there is no need for further discussion.

Hint: It’s balance nightmare.

Why exactly is it a balance nightmare?
If you have your shortbow and you transform into a meele beast, why exactly would it be horrific if you get now every SB skill as a meele version?
If you have a Greatsword equiped and then transform into a ranged beast why exactly would it be insanely difficult to make ranged versions for the few skills of the GS that even require a “ranged conversion”. There are even right now many skills on the weapons that would alread work, regardless if you’re playing ranged in meele combat.

The “only” was in regard to that they don’t have to come up with entirely new skills. The “core mechanic”, the “style” and overall “purpose” of the skills would remain the same, they would’ve to “just” make adjustments, which could be still a good amount of work, but then again this is what we expect for a new elite spec in a game where the devs decided that those new elite specs replace the new classes that we don’t get anymore.
Adjusting skills is still far far easier and faster than coming up with different and entirely unique new skills. That’s what I meant with “only”.

Of course every new skill or change is something new to balance, of course everything is work, of course beastmode and skill conversion, attack animations etc need resources and time but that’s exactly why we buy an expansion at the end of every few years.
To give the devs the time and resources they need to make substantial and meaningful changes (that actually matter) to the core experience of the game and this includes every single class, not just one or two for each expansion.

Soulbeast will be the very first thing I’ll try during the beta but after my initial impression of the “new ranger” I doubt that this will be something that can keep me playing this class until we get another expansion.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

My problem with the soul beast is the animation , it seems more like an green lantern core thief rather then merge with pet this is so sad compare to all the rest of the e specs

True. The visuals could also be for a revenant spec or a thief spec, maybe even for an elementalist spec that is earth/nature themed.

Let’s hope that at least the new pet skills in beastmode have something more to them, other than a few green magical effects.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I wouldn’t call them the “laziest”, especially when we already have so much customization in certain areas, so many transformation skills, potions, all with different animations, skills, attacks, mechanics, models etc, also think about all the transformations and unique skills and mechanics throughout the story.

That’s why I don’t understand that such a huge thing like an elite spec, that’s supposed to keep people for the next 2 years playing, gets so little attention in comparison.

I mean look at the weaver, they got 40+ new skills with insane effects etc. I guess every expansion they only pick one elite spec where they invest heavily in the visuals.

We are getting 30 skills based on the family of the pet we fusion dance with, 1 new heal, 1 new elite, 4 new utilities, 3 new weapon skills, and then a new F2 depending on the “type” of pet we fusion danced with (let’s just assume there’s 4). Oh, would you look at that, we too have gained 40+ skills for our elite spec.

But you know, the devs are too lazy ignoring the ranger class because they didn’t give us shapeshifting kits.

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

We are getting 30 skills based on the family of the pet we fusion dance with, 1 new heal, 1 new elite, 4 new utilities, 3 new weapon skills, and then a new F2 depending on the “type” of pet we fusion danced with (let’s just assume there’s 4). Oh, would you look at that, we too have gained 40+ skills for our elite spec.

But you know, the devs are too lazy ignoring the ranger class because they didn’t give us shapeshifting kits.

We’re talking mainly about visuals and there is no doubt that the class as far as we’ve seen it at this point is imo visually underwhelming.
I don’t care too much about flashy effects but to just slap a few green particle effects on every soulbeast skill feels lazy.

I think the soulbeast could offer some interesting builds and variety with all the pet families but is this something that truly alters the experience you’ll have with ranger in a way that will keep you interested in playing it for another two years? Or is the new elite spec the exact same ranger with his pet skills made more accessible to use?

I don’t know at this point if this will be true build wise and if there’s something to the soulbeast that would really alter my playstyle but I do know that from the actual visual representation of the soulbeast in the gameworld, not much has changed.

The soulbeast thing feels imo so generic in its actual representation and animation it could be just a mastery line for a new map that everyone could use to merge with the beasts in the region. Something that feels slapped on the class in a few weeks and rushed out to get it done for the next living world episode.

It doesn’t feel like something that is supposed to satisfy the need for new classes in the game, something we probably won’t ever see happening in GW2 again because, well, we have our elite specs.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

in Ranger

RabbitUp.8294

You: We are talking about visuals

Also you: Change all weapon skills when transformed

in Ranger

Posted by: dragonkain.3984

dragonkain.3984

Check the game called Champions Online and compare the customization they have there (much smaller company and much smaller team of devs and smaller salary) and then compare it to what GW2 offers and ask yourself “Why the kitten they have such amazing customization when we dont?”

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

You: We are talking about visuals

Also you: Change all weapon skills when transformed

If you change the animation and visuals of a skill then that’s enough.
Of course, like I’ve explained now three or four times, you have to change every attack skill to a meele attack if you’ve transformed to a meele beast, or to ranged for ranged beasts. But that’s mostly a visual thing. The SB 4 is now meele instead of ranged, the GS 1 is now a ranged attack, the LB 2 is now a meele channeled skill, the work a Anet dev has to do is creating new skill icons, choosing one of the beast animations to play when that skill is activated and then adjusting a few numbers but of course only if this skill has changed to meele/ranged.

That’s what needs to be changed. It’s almost only visually. The skills themselves still have the same effects, purpose etc.
If you say that’s now a completely new and unique skill then okay it is but I say it’s essentially the same skill and really nothing groundbreaking except the visual representation of that skill in your beastform has changed.

That’s what I mean when I am talking about visuals. Skills don’t change much. I am too lazy to write everything again, I already explained everything that is to say about that topic in the comments above.

Edit: Also I originally didn’t create that topic to discuss how the soulbeast could be made into a shapeshifter. (The soulbeast is already done and wont be changed in such a massive way) I only gave two examples of what the soulbeast lacks in order to become one. I did that to point out that with an already similar class/elite spec in the game it would now probably be even more unlikely that we will ever see a shapeshifter in the game. Something I originally hoped the Soulbeast could be but then it of course turned out to be much “less”.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

in Ranger

Caeledh.5437

I’m crossing my fingers that there’s something like this. That this is the reason we haven’t seen all of the soulbeast traits yet.

A trait which lets us actually assume the form of our pet could be a great solution. Let players choose which way they want to go with this.

Personally it would be extremely appealing to me. The ability to run around the game as a spider, or fern hound or wyvern would be extremely value adding to the expansion.

in Ranger

Daerian.6523

That’s what needs to be changed. It’s almost only visually. The skills themselves still have the same effects, purpose etc.

Do you really don’t understand that changing ranged/melee skills around is far more problematic from balance standpoint than “changing some numbers”?
If you really don’t get it, try to imagine balancing ranged Whirling Defense.

in Ranger

RabbitUp.8294

Of course, like I’ve explained now three or four times, you have to change every attack skill to a meele attack if you’ve transformed to a meele beast, or to ranged for ranged beasts. But that’s mostly a visual thing.

How many times does it have to be explained to you that this is not a visual change?

I’m crossing my fingers that there’s something like this. That this is the reason we haven’t seen all of the soulbeast traits yet.

A trait which lets us actually assume the form of our pet could be a great solution. Let players choose which way they want to go with this.

Personally it would be extremely appealing to me. The ability to run around the game as a spider, or fern hound or wyvern would be extremely value adding to the expansion.

There won’t be such a trait.

You realize all your skills are available to you when you go into beastmode, right? That means all utilities and weapon skills.

So, the spider you transform to would have to swing a greatsword and shoot a bow, and do the animations associated with our utility skills.

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

If you really don’t get it, try to imagine balancing ranged Whirling Defense.

Fantastic example for a skill that does not even need to be changed at all. Works in ranged or meele. Granted in ranged you don’t hit your enemy. But it still blocks projectiles and it can hit enemies when they come close.

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

How many times does it have to be explained to you that this is not a visual change?

I explained this now several times in a row. If we do not come to an understanding now there’s no point in further discussing this.

You realize all your skills are available to you when you go into beastmode, right? That means all utilities and weapon skills.

And most utility skills don’t even need animation changes, they’re just effects. No one would be upset if you’re activating your spirits in beastmode and you as a wolf would just use a generic “animal use animation” to summon it. And btw. that’s really the only noticeable special utility skill animation ranger really has, everything was already using animations the ranger already had or using no animation at all, just some effects (which don’t need to be changed).

So, the spider you transform to would have to swing a greatsword and shoot a bow, and do the animations associated with our utility skills.

As I wrote now 5 times in this thread already. The animations need to be changed. Your weapon models would of course disappear in beastform. I already said that utility skills are no problem in Beastform.

Here’s a list of utilities. If you’re familiar with ranger you can go through everyone of them and you’ll see that most of the time there is no special animation, most of the time no animation at all, needed for them and even if there is a skill with a special animation, there is nothing that wouldn’t work in beastmode..
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Utility_skill#Ranger

(edited by Adenin.5973)

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

A Soulbeast implies you’ve merged with the soul of your pet. You two have become one in spirit with yourself being the phylactery for your pet.

Lich, but nature and pets with more stabby stabby pew pew.

in Ranger

RabbitUp.8294

I explained this now several times in a row. If we do not come to an understanding now there’s no point in further discussing this.

It’s not a debate. Your suggestion affects gameplay, not just visuals.

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

It’s not a debate. Your suggestion affects gameplay, not just visuals.

Even purely visual effects affect gameplay. Just try and hide your UI and tell me it doesn’t affect gameplay. Switch ranged with meele attack animations, disable animations completely.
Affecting gameplay is nothing that distinguishes visuals from something else.

Here, copied something out of the numerous explanations I gave

Of course, like I’ve explained now three or four times, you have to change every attack skill to a meele attack if you’ve transformed to a meele beast, or to ranged for ranged beasts. But that’s mostly a visual thing. The SB 4 is now meele instead of ranged, the GS 1 is now a ranged attack, the LB 2 is now a meele channeled skill, the work a Anet dev has to do is creating new skill icons, choosing one of the beast animations to play when that skill is activated and then adjusting a few numbers but of course only if this skill has changed to meele/ranged.
If you say that’s now a completely new and unique skill then okay it is but I say it’s essentially the same skill and really nothing groundbreaking except the visual representation of that skill in your beastform has changed.
That’s what I mean when I am talking about visuals. Skills don’t change much.

You noticed I am talking about the work an Anet dev has to do and that work is almost only for the visuals, animations, models, skill icons.

Of course I want an effect on gameplay. If I wouldn’t want any, I would be happy with a generic green aura.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

“Even purely visual effects affect gameplay.” no, no they don’t, if I drink an endless embigoning tonic, or turn myself into a Kodan or a watch knight via tonic I DO NOT CHANGE ANY GAMEPLAY, because it’s a purely visual effect.

What you are asking for is NOT “purely visual” if it were it not only wouldn’t be a trait, but it also wouldn’t change anything other than appearance

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

“Even purely visual effects affect gameplay.” no, no they don’t, if I drink an endless embigoning tonic, or turn myself into a Kodan or a watch knight via tonic I DO NOT CHANGE ANY GAMEPLAY, because it’s a purely visual effect.

What you are asking for is NOT “purely visual” if it were it not only wouldn’t be a trait, but it also wouldn’t change anything other than appearance

This entire conversation makes no sense to me in so many ways:

First:
You don’t mean visual you mean cosmetic.
The visuals of a game can be very important for gameplay reasons as stated in the examples of my previous comment.
Also:
if: cosmetic = not affecting gameplay
cosmetics = visual
visual != cosmetic

This means SOME visuals do not affect gameplay, others do.

Second:
I said explicitly that with such changes I would expect gameplay changes for the player.
What I’ve wrote in previous comments was a response to people that claimed that transformation would be “too much work”, “balance nightmare”, “rework all skills” etc. Then I replied, that the work the Anet devs had to do was “mostly visual”.

And then remember:
This entire thread is NOT about what I am asking. I do not ask to change anything about Soulbeast. The elite spec is already done. Soulbeast is not a shapeshifter and will never become one.
This entire thread is about how likely the chances are for getting a true shapeshifter in the future after getting an already very similar elite spec.
Go and read the OP. The only reason we’re having this lengthy discussion is because I gave as an example of how similar the soulbeast is to a shapeshifter the two things it would take for the soulbeast to become one.

Imo this entire discussion is off topic.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

in Ranger

Daerian.6523

This thread is about you not understanding game design and trying to make a point while being wildly mistaken.

in Ranger

Adenin.5973

This thread is about you not understanding game design and trying to make a point while being wildly mistaken.

If you don’t have to say something don’t say anything.
This is a thread about how likely it is that we will ever see a shapeshifter in this game.

I can go around as well and tell people that they’ve no clue about what they’re talking and feel superior, without making any argument. What you’re doing is not discussing but making arrogant statements.

Sry but this is the most useless comment ever.

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Soulbeast was never intended to be a shapeshifter. They’re soul mergers. The Norn can shapeshift. The soulbeast will not be like Norn shapeshifting.

Your true shapeshifters are already in the game, but it’s not a very remarkable ability for them in this game beyond a few niche uses.

There hasn’t come anything that suggests Soulbeast will get anything in terms of shapeshifting.

The best I’d hope for is they add a silly skill to Soulbeast that switches you and your pet around to where you control your pet and the pet AI controls your character for a limited amount of time.

That would be hilarious, and possibly strategic. But mostly hilarious.

in Ranger

Daerian.6523

I can go around as well and tell people that they’ve no clue about what they’re talking and feel superior, without making any argument. What you’re doing is not discussing but making arrogant statements.

So or another arrogant statement: there is no chance to get shapeshifter that works on the way you are describing, because it just doesn’t work and is terribly balanced.

There is a chance to get one that will work kinda similar to kits/transformation elites, with another set of skills for each form. The amount of forms will be much more limited, because they will need to balance them correctly.
However, looking at amount of skills that Weaver was given in this expansion, there is a chance for class with 3-6 additional forms.

in Ranger

Caeledh.5437

There won’t be such a trait.

That’s painfully unimaginative.

Two obvious, simple and cheap solutions are immediately apparent.

Don’t allow (shapeshift) merging a melee weapon with a ranged pet, and vice versa.

Don’t use the weapon animations when in beastmode. Obviously! Use the pet’s ones. Modify slightly as necessary. Eg. for Rapid Fire or Poison Volley, replace arrows with the pet’s default ranged attack projectile.

(edited by Caeledh.5437)