Colin J. interview on ranger skill

in Ranger

Posted by: Gransasso.9842

Gransasso.9842

A little extract form a interview to Colin J. :

Question about ranger utility skills that aren’t being used and how it hasn’t been addressed yet.
Colin: I actually have no idea right now what stuff that group is working on. I’d have to check in on them and see when I get back. But one of the big things that we’ve kicked up recently is basically and analytics team that records all the data in the game. It allows us to look at that and help make decisions about the things we’re doing. They’re actually the group that helped us find a lot of the loot issues recently. Because we really just didn’t have any information to get that stuff. We kicked this team up so that we could get all of that information. It’s incredibly useful to have all of that stuff so that we can figure things out. Without that you’re kind of flying blind. We’re able to look now at what weapons are getting used all the time and we use that date to determine what weapons really suck and go and try to fix those. And what kind of skills are getting used, which ones aren’t. It really helps us determine what needs a boost. So I imagine if no one is using a bunch of the ranger utility skills, they’re going to see that and look at those and go try to address those based on that data. So hopefully that’s on the list if no one is using those subset […].

full interview here http://www.guildwars2guru.com/

What do y think?

(edited by Gransasso.9842)

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

If they’re going to do it the way Colin described, then a golden age for sword, greatsword, longbow, off-hand dagger, off-hand axe, spirits, signets, and shouts lies ahead.

in Ranger

Gransasso.9842

I hope too , but if they watch on the ranger forum all this work would be more easy.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

If they’re going to do it the way Colin described, then a golden age for sword, greatsword, longbow, off-hand dagger, off-hand axe, spirits, signets, and shouts lies ahead.

surprise twist: They will use the data to nerf weapons and skills that are mostly used. “It’s not fun to use the same skills every time. We want people to try other builds as well”

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

We can hope, we can only hope.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

surprise twist: They will use the data to nerf weapons and skills that are mostly used. “It’s not fun to use the same skills every time. We want people to try other builds as well”

Idc about other weapons, they buff longbow and GS and Im golden.

in Ranger

Gransasso.9842

I think taht this interview explain how they balance the game…our word are all wasted then?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

This doesn’t make any sense, at all. “Guard” is basically now useless, where it was a balanced and important tool before. And the Ranger spirits which are still completely ignored, didn’t get another health buff, even though Guardian spirit weapons did. So I’m not sure what information it is ArenaNet are looking at. I wish they’d spend more time reading the forum.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: TheLaughingMan.7951

TheLaughingMan.7951

Is there anyway we can request a new team of people that Colin won’t pay attention to? Our current team clearly is napping on the job.

Zrun
Former NSP, now on GOM! http://www.youtube.com/user/umdsmith/videos

in Ranger

Posted by: gaborkaldy.3210

gaborkaldy.3210

Yop, the ranger balance team is busy playing warriors.

They are not doing their job. Personally i would fire them, make them homeless, take back their degree and make them cleaning the streets for what they have done with my beloved ranger.

It’s always Beer Time!
Desolation – [TEU]

in Ranger

Posted by: Chambered.7135

Chambered.7135

On the other hand, their analysis will see that tons of people play rangers (though most of them are bots) and conclude, thus, that rangers are perfectly fine. Sad, but true, when you rely on ‘analytics’ rather than just playing your own kitten game.

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

how much metrics can they possibly need? if they cant see the problems themselves, then they cant see the problems.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

I’m not impressed by the way he speaks; it is clear he doesn’t really know wth is going on, or how things are going to be handled;

“I actually have no idea right now what stuff that group is working on.”
“So I imagine…”
“So hopefully that’s on the list…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Doesn’t instill a lot of confidence…

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Hoot.4925

Hoot.4925

Uh, the biggest weapon issue with rangers are….wait for it….PETS.

in Ranger

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Analytics are an excuse to ignore common sense.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in Ranger

Posted by: Meryt.9823

Meryt.9823

Analytics are an excuse to ignore common sense.

Which would be instead of hiring expensive analysts , get some devs to go play a Ranger for a month in WvWvW and dungeons

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

in Ranger

Posted by: Geshque.1326

Geshque.1326

Cmon guys, they even close threads which they dont like. Shame

in Ranger

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

A little extract form a interview to Colin J. :

Question about ranger utility skills that aren’t being used and how it hasn’t been addressed yet.
Colin: I actually have no idea right now what stuff that group is working on. I’d have to check in on them and see when I get back. But one of the big things that we’ve kicked up recently is basically and analytics team that records all the data in the game. It allows us to look at that and help make decisions about the things we’re doing. They’re actually the group that helped us find a lot of the loot issues recently. Because we really just didn’t have any information to get that stuff. We kicked this team up so that we could get all of that information. It’s incredibly useful to have all of that stuff so that we can figure things out. Without that you’re kind of flying blind. We’re able to look now at what weapons are getting used all the time and we use that date to determine what weapons really suck and go and try to fix those. And what kind of skills are getting used, which ones aren’t. It really helps us determine what needs a boost. So I imagine if no one is using a bunch of the ranger utility skills, they’re going to see that and look at those and go try to address those based on that data. So hopefully that’s on the list if no one is using those subset […].

full interview here http://www.guildwars2guru.com/

What do y think?

I think he said a tons of words and all of it means nothing

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

When you’re talking about the actual data itself, you use the word ‘Metrics’. Not trying to grammar nazi on you two in particular, I’m just using the opportunity to say it to alot of people because I’ve seen that misconception floating around.

And, yeah, that was a fluffy answer. I sincerely hope he went back to the office and prodded somebody.

I think taht this interview explain how they balance the game…our word are all wasted then?

Metrics just tell you ‘what’, they don’t tell you ‘why’.
The metrics will probably say, for example, lots of people take Quickening Zephyr. Metrics can even get as detailed as saying what we use the quickness for; how often it’s used for resurrection, how often it’s used for channeled skills like barrage. But metrics don’t say why players put Quickening Zephyr on their bar in the first place.

That what forum feedback is good for, to fill in the ’why’s.
It’s just kind of a shame our discussions are so superficial and geared towards chasing our bloody tail for months on end, we rarely ever provide feedback that isn’t basically just repeating metrics.

“I don’t like my pet because it’s 40% of my damage and it dies alot!”
Yeah, they know.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)