Combine Sharpened Edges and Hidden barbs?

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I believe so. At 66% chance, Sharpened Edges was worth a slot in it’s own right. But now it is merely the best worst choice in the tier for condi builds that have precision.

To combine them would bring the pair more into line with Barbed Precision on Necro or Bloodlust on Warrior, both are similar in damage output to both these traits combined and they are a minor, they do not need to be selected.

If Sharpened Edges was combined with Hidden Barbs in Hidden Barb’s Major Master position, another minor adept trait could be created to take its place.

This would open up a lot of possibilities with traps, since Sharpened Edges and Trappers Expertise are very much competing to create a decent build around them.

Since we have two other traits that grant boon on weapon swap in the skirmishing line, the one that replaces Sharpened Edges could follow that suit. Something like “Grant Protection when swapping weapons in combat” would work well with our other lines and Soulbeast.

Or, we could have it interact with critical chance and provide support like “Gain a stacking effect upon critical hit. When you reach 5 stacks, grant allies an Attack of Opportunity, cd Xs”.

That may be somewhat ovetuned but it would be nice to have some DPS support in this line as well.

Another possibility is to combine Tail Wind and Furious Grip into the minor adept position (Let’s be honest they are both weak traits and could definitely do with some love) and then add Sharpened Edges to the Minor Master position, leaving Hidden Barbs as it is.

What do you guys think? What ideas do you have along these lines with these traits?

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Yes. Please. This is sorely needed.

NSPride <3

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

+1

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

or they could just un-nerf it.

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

+1

Off topic. Didn’t wanna open another topic

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Call_Lightning_

Is this skill really only 3/4 cast time for 5 pulses and non chanelled? wow.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

+1

When you compare it to Lightning Storm Glyph with 1.5s cast and 36 impacts, it seems a bit long

in Ranger

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Jupp since the nerf this is needed.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

+1

When you compare it to Lightning Storm Glyph with 1.5s cast and 36 impacts, it seems a bit long

Well 60 second cd tho. haha I think its about the same. Close.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Definately needed. When they reshuffled the traits and prevented trap builds taking Sharpened Edges it was already a real knock, and now it’s been nerfed I’d love to see this change.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

The 33% nerf was too harsh. In PvP its now not worth it to take the trait, even with for example Deadshot amulet combined with Staff. Rangers lack condi duration traits, maybe they can do something with that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

+1

I use it on a power build for a tiny bit of extra damage and to keep them in combat a bit longer.

I think it should give 5 or 10 seconds of vulnerability on crit without a cooldown. That will increase damage on both condi and power builds and has synergy with crits and will keep people in combat for 5 or 10 seconds.

(edited by Holland.9351)

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

+1

I use it on a power build for a tiny bit of extra damage and to keep them in combat a bit longer.

I think it should give 5 or 10 seconds of vulnerability on crit without a cooldown. That will increase damage on both condi and power builds and has synergy with crits and will keep people in combat for 5 or 10 seconds.

Yup, even on a power build with might it’s the better choice for maximum DPS. I just feel it would be FAR better being combined with Hidden Barbs and then another useful trait added in it’s place. Your idea of vuln on crit with no CD would be fine in it’s place then, or you could make it on hit instead of crit, so we could run without precision.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Personally, I’d love a trait-shuffle between Skirmishing and Soulbeast to work this out better.

Replace Tail Wind with Sharpened Edges as a minor adept; Replace Hunter’s Tactics with Furious Strength from Soulbeast as a minor grandmaster; Hunter’s Tactics is moved as a major adept and altered to be +10% critical hit chance against bleeding foes; move Fresh Reinfocement as a minor master and include boons affecting the player are copied onto the pet when exiting Beastmode; insert new adept trait for Soulbeast.

Cleans up some of the odd placements while meeting fair compromises and building stronger synergies.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

Agree, this trait is not competitive enough. I would combine it and put it in Master trait line. Create an adept trait line for skirmishing that would benefit Power builds. Some samples :

Energizing Wind Your next # of attacks are unblockable when you have Swiftness.
Antidote Signet Using a Signet cures # condition on you.
Beastial Fury Beast. Attacks are 20% faster while you have Swiftness.

Success is my only option, failure is not.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

+1

Yup, even on a power build with might it’s the better choice for maximum DPS. I just feel it would be FAR better being combined with Hidden Barbs and then another useful trait added in it’s place. Your idea of vuln on crit with no CD would be fine in it’s place then, or you could make it on hit instead of crit, so we could run without precision.

Yes I meant first combine the traits, then add this new trait with vulnerability.

Both on-crit and on-hit are fine with me, but this traitline does have 4 traits that can increase crit chance, 2 of which are minor traits.