Condi Druid?

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: MrThompson.8347

MrThompson.8347

So I’ve been playing Zerk Druid (LB + Sword/Axe) for a good little while and wanna try out a Condi build, will buy full Carrion, Axe/Torch, and probably a shortbow or just keep staff for running around and use Axe/Torch as main weapons

Basically wanna know if Condi Druid is good for PvP/WvW too

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lynnie.7213

Lynnie.7213

Talking by my own experience: condi druid can work well in Spvp but you gotta know what you are doing, otherwise you are going to get destroyed.
In WvW it work really well, talking from roaming perspective, not zerging since i don’t do much of those. For roaming i’d drop the shortbow for sword and dagger, though.
Carrion equips may work, but are not optimal for sure.

D O N E E
Necromancer – Ranger WvW/Spvp/Pve/Build/Guide videos:
http://www.youtube.com/donee

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

MrThompson.8347

Talking by my own experience: condi druid can work well in Spvp but you gotta know what you are doing, otherwise you are going to get destroyed.
In WvW it work really well, talking from roaming perspective, not zerging since i don’t do much of those. For roaming i’d drop the shortbow for sword and dagger, though.

Well Carrion because I don’t have any crafting up to make something better like Viper’s
Ah, yeah I figured so, tried taking a condi build into PvP earlier with no experience of PvP with it and yeah, I didn’t do so good, well thanks I’ll def give it more tries then!

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Stubie.5834

Stubie.5834

I use condi Druid in sPvP and pve. I do great with it. There are some builds on metabattle.com that willl give you a good starting template and just make whatever tweaks you want to fit your play style. I personally love the axe/torch short bow combo. With the CD reduction trait you can put down some serious conditions. Druid is mainly used for the massive condi clear and team support while on points. Good luck.

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

MrThompson.8347

I use condi Druid in sPvP and pve. I do great with it. There are some builds on metabattle.com that willl give you a good starting template and just make whatever tweaks you want to fit your play style. I personally love the axe/torch short bow combo. With the CD reduction trait you can put down some serious conditions. Druid is mainly used for the massive condi clear and team support while on points. Good luck.

Oki thanks!

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Dire/apothecary gear in WvW is god mode.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

From my own experience, Condi druid does not work well in spvp, although I really wish it did.

There are currently 5 top ranger ‘pvp’ builds on metabattle and none of them are condi based.

Now why is that?

Personally, I dont think the condi weapons are good for a ranger in a pvp setting. You have to be at a reasonably close distance to use any of them and thats where a ranger who can’t take much dmg will get melted.

Also, condi dmg, as we all know has to stick to a target to do dmg.
Everyone has multipleways to remove condis.

Even with traps and trap runes, it’s gimmicky at best.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

(edited by EnderzShadow.2506)

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

This has really described condi ranger since launch. It’s been a kitten build that has troll sustain, can’t kill anyone, yet can kill 7v1 at the same time.

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Condi druid is similar to the trollish bunker druid. Basically you won’t be able to kill anyone that decides to ignore you and keep running. But WvW is full of players that don’t know when to give up and you can easily 1vX some mediocre players. In PvP you have the advantage of fighting over a point but you can’t pull off the same tanky stats WvW offers and you are still vulnerable to heavy CC/focus since druid has no source of instant stability.

There is also the problem with staff being pretty useless in pure condi builds which makes it harder to charge your AF. You can get around this by going with a hybrid crit/bleed build but that leaves you glassy and is a lot riskier than pure condi or the meta shout build.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

This has really described condi ranger since launch. It’s been a kitten build that has troll sustain, can’t kill anyone, yet can kill 7v1 at the same time.

I wonder what would be possible if the traps were Power Dmg instead of condi?

Probably get nerfed into the ground….
and I know it would never happen. But I can dream :P

I loved playing condi traps and I insisted on it for a while. Vs certain classes, like what I felt was ‘try hard’ rangers at the time, they were easy wins. No druid can remove the amount of condi dmg that a trapper ranger can put out.

But it seems to me that while a trap ranger build has enough dmg to kill, it just doesn’t have the amount of tools it needs to be competitive with dare I use the word… The Meta.

Now, having said that, in a 1v1 I felt confident in killing almost every class at any time, in game.

But, when+1 comes in and I get focus fired, surviving that was hard, staying on or near point was impossible. In addition there aren’t many ranged options that work well.

dmn…now my brain is itching at the prospect of being able to make a condi trap druid work in spvp….

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Condi druid in PvP is less effective than power based damage druid. Main reason for this is the removal of the settler amulet a while ago. Im testing a condi druid build at the moment, I might post it here next week. It is quite fun to play, with a better damage burst than regular druid, but also much more vulnerable. I wouldnt recommend to use the druid traitline without using staff, but signet of the wild and/or dolyak runes might compensate. Problem is; u need a condi duration rune so dolyak might not be a good choice (didnt test that yet).

You can also try a wanderers build with skirmishing/wilderness survival/druid and shortbow + axe/dagger. Really fun to play with the bleeding chance on crit trait + sigils. High damage output, but not viable in higher levels of pvp.

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Wombat.3510

Wombat.3510

I’ve been playing a condi ranger for quite a while with torch/axe and shortbow with really good success in holding points. The one negative is that you don’t have much sustain or condition clear so you die easily in team fights. Holding points against anything but a warrior or a very well played power ranger is a matter of laying traps and waiting with your torch in hand. By the time anyone gets to the point, your traps are already refreshed and you can lay them again. This combination melts people almost instantly – until they figure out a way to counter it or stop going to that point.

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Wombat.3510

I think in spvp it is such an unusual build that most people are taken by surprise and aren’t set up for a counter. If more people used it, i’m sure it would lose it’s effectiveness!

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

You can also try a wanderers build with skirmishing/wilderness survival/druid and shortbow + axe/dagger. Really fun to play with the bleeding chance on crit trait + sigils. High damage output, but not viable in higher levels of pvp.

Without a gs, a staff or a 1h sword, how do you ever escape?

That seems to be the issue with condi builds and rangers in general. They aren’t tanky enough to take dmg in melee range. Condi builds, even less so. That always lead me to believe you need an escape route.

And even though I said all that, I’d be interested in the wanderers build if you don’t mind dropping a link.

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

I think in spvp it is such an unusual build that most people are taken by surprise and aren’t set up for a counter. If more people used it, i’m sure it would lose it’s effectiveness!

I agree with you 100 percent.

Because I went and played a staff, axe, torch , trapper build.
its been fun.

No one expects the dmg ramp up

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bast Bow.2958

Bast Bow.2958

So I’ve been playing Zerk Druid (LB + Sword/Axe) for a good little while and wanna try out a Condi build, will buy full Carrion, Axe/Torch, and probably a shortbow or just keep staff for running around and use Axe/Torch as main weapons

Basically wanna know if Condi Druid is good for PvP/WvW too

Hi MrThompson!

Can’t say much about PvP.
I’ve had much fun with condi builds in WvW roaming. I would suggest some toughness though as others also stated, going full carrion would leave you pretty vulnerable.

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Condi druid can 1v1 every class but only barely.

You cannot contribute to teamfights and are forced to push far or sit home. If you get good enough people will just gank you 2v1 every game which you can’t really fight.

After probably 4000 games on Condi ranger I’ve thrown in the towel. The spec does not work in the current meta.

Ranger | Elementalist

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Wombat.3510

Condi druid can 1v1 every class but only barely.

You cannot contribute to teamfights and are forced to push far or sit home. If you get good enough people will just gank you 2v1 every game which you can’t really fight.

After probably 4000 games on Condi ranger I’ve thrown in the towel. The spec does not work in the current meta.

But really fun to play in unranked!

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Without a gs, a staff or a 1h sword, how do you ever escape?

That seems to be the issue with condi builds and rangers in general. They aren’t tanky enough to take dmg in melee range. Condi builds, even less so. That always lead me to believe you need an escape route.

And even though I said all that, I’d be interested in the wanderers build if you don’t mind dropping a link.

There are multiple variants ofcourse, but you can try something like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAV3YjEqQJL2wCusAXLWMEM4s6YNtyEAGdlum3VwqFUyzSD-TZRFABsdBASZ/BAeCAJcQAOvMAA

Bleeding output can reach very high levels, but survivability is low. Basically only participate in 1v1 or 2v2, or sniping with shortbow from a good distance.

You can test it and alter the build to your preferences. Some suggestions:
- Take beastmastery over Druid, with Wilting Strike and Beastly Warden. Pick the Eagle as your pet. This pet has a very low cooldown on its F2, which applies even more bleeding + basically perma weakness because of the wilting strike. Beastly warden can cause a nice interrupt when applied a good stack of bleeds. Although you should take WHaO and resounding timbre, otherwise you wont have enough swiftness (cuz you lost natural stride from the Druid traitline)

- without thieves on the opposite team, you can consider sharpening stone/signet of the wild/spike trap/vipers nest over signet of stone. Spike trap might turn out as a valuable alternative to interrupt heals/blocks of the revenants warriors or mesmers. Although the cooldown is quite high.

- spare QZ and LR to get out of nasty situations, unless you really need their condi cleanse.

Condi Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Wisty.1867

Wisty.1867

Heya! Been playing around with Condi ranger/druid some, and I must admit, it’s extremely fun. I run mostly traps, and play the role of lurk-skirmisher in pvp (not tried in WVW yet) and it’s pretty good; I have little trouble in 1v1 or 1v2 most classes, so long as I can kite properly. Usually run axe/torch and GS for sticking power, with condi-vitality as my focused stats; masteries are the ones that reduce the torch and/or trap cooldowns, and help with applying conditions and their damage.

From experience, you cannot be the one aggressing. Trapstack and kite them into it, preferably around a corner or on a point where they won’t expect it. If jumped on, drop your bonfire and switch to GS for blocks, interrupts and damage amp while your fire does DPS; if prepared you an sprinkle additional traps in.

I recommend fire, spike and viper traps along with torch; the pulses ensure they’ll still hurt even after they’ve cleansed if you can keep them focusing you and not your traps. Poison reduces healing as well, meaning their effective health drops if they’re not careful.

It’s powerful enough, and can do decent damage, but it is very much solo oriented, and vecomes less effective the higher you climb. But I’d say wih enough practice it can take you pretty far.