Constructive Rant on Balancing

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I’m going to attempt to provide some constructive feedback, but I think my patience has worn thin… I do not know what the issue is, but almost every ranger patch is completely out of touch and DOES NOT address the major issues this profession has… Seriously, at what point in the lifecycle of the game does the team sit back and say “We really want to make our classes amazing for our players!”?

To be clear with the issues, yet again…

PETS ARE AWFUL. This dates back to alpha and beta, and has been acknowledged by your own team members a number of times. You created a combat system with movement based combat, but the pets struggle to hit moving targets. How does this make any sense? How the heck are players supposed to feel when these awful pets are never fixed and forced upon the class?

MELEE DAMAGE IS AWFUL without being buffed up the wazoo, AND melee attacks are too slow and too telegraphed.

YOU KEEP KILLING DRUID. Damage sucks on Druid and you do nothing to improve damage or the extremely poor skills on staff. Staff is a junk weapon comparatively, and it’s only saving grace is Ancestral Grace for the position skill… You keep killing the healing on one of the most clunky to use (because reticle skills suck to heal with on moving targets) heal skill designs of any mmo to date that has healing classes. Do you not know that poison kills all healing by 33%, and that there is enough poison conditions being pumped out by players in pvp and wvw? Do you know how easy it is for players to shut down a Druid in CA form? Do you know how bad it sucks to heal teammates that are not stationary? Do you know how much it sucks to apologize to teammates who die because we are gated from our main healing skills? You designed an entire elite around healing, but it’s completely awful.

CONDI RANGERS/DRUIDS SUCK IN PVP AND WVW. There are ZERO decent condi builds that are competitive in competitive game modes, and all you are stressing about are these useless changes to condi output on pve?

TRAIT CHANGES MEAN NOTHING IF SKILLS ARE AWFUL. It makes zero sense to keep making trait changes when the actual skills they affect need adjustments and improvements. Trait changes are not the holy grail of balancing this game, but you have devoted most efforts to them. Please stop doing this until you get weapon and slot skill in a good place first. Example… Dont’t care what traits you change that affect sword and short bow, those weapons skills are not good and no amount of niggling about their traits will make these weapons better. Just fix the base weapons skills to be more competitive first, then look at the traits for them.

PLEASE START DOING WHAT’S BEST FOR THE END USERS, not what’s easier for the team to do. You all have the capability to make gw2 have some of the best class and combat systems around, so just bunker down and do it. Stop being cheap with class development.

I’m sure I can come up with more, but yet again with out of touch updates that do not tackle the real problems that have been well known. Yes, there were a few improvements, but how many more community posts and CDIs will it take to fix up this profession? When does anet, a professional game company, actually make a real effort to fix and improve and revamp… professions? They are the most important aspects of the game so do something!

Research this and please get familiar with a balanced and fun and diverse class and skill system that was way ahead of its time, created by development team that cared about the main user experience… Also, please start moving away from all these wacky profession designs, mechanics, and useless skills you are attempting to balance, and start focusing on making the classes and combat in gW2 the best of any other mmo.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kenshi Maru.5489

Kenshi Maru.5489

THIS IS NOT HOW YOU DO CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK

in Ranger

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

If you’re feedback was constructive, the things you call issues would be less subjective.

For instance, has it ever occurred to you that Druid has ‘awful’ damage for a reason? Perhaps that’s intended? I mean, most of your issues are all easily dismissed with a simple “that’s what we intended” from Anet. That’s the definitive.

Frankly, I think when players see these kinds of issues that don’t get addressed, the first thing I think of is that players want to impose their own ideas of how Class X or Skill Y should work. That’s always a non-starter.

The other point is that Anet works on issues they choose on their timetable. Maybe they agree with you but the tone of your thread doesn’t recognize that possibility.

TLDR: Anet sets their timetables and priorities, and not necessarily inline with any player influence.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Ranger

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Ele (and tempest), Engi (and scrapper), Guard (and DH), Daredevil, Warrior (and Berserker) got sustain nerfs. Mesmer while “buffed” also had 2 major nerfs. Necro sustain through chill got nerfed. Rev needed the help.

Massive rework to sigils also just means power builds do not spike as hard as air/blood don’t exist anymore. Also a lack of condi burst sigils (aside from doom).

So you have had time to absorb all of this for PvP balance in 4 hours? and come to the conclusions that
1) Nerf to Druid healing is an atrocity worthy of response in caps lock
2) None of the trait changes for ranger/druid matter in PvP and that condi ranger isn’t viable despite giant changes to the meta and also sigils.

L
O
L

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

For instance, has it ever occurred to you that Druid has ‘awful’ damage for a reason? Perhaps that’s intended?

I have no dog in this fight but I do have to question what reason could that be or intent?

I guess it depends on the format of play but I do not see a reason for “awful” damage say in WvW. Just one example. Maybe that isn’t fair because, well, I think most of us know that format is broke…

How does the Druid’s sustain compare to other classes? Is balance there all things being equal, if possible, outside the player skill?

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

For instance, has it ever occurred to you that Druid has ‘awful’ damage for a reason? Perhaps that’s intended?

I have no dog in this fight but I do have to question what reason could that be or intent?

I guess it depends on the format of play but I do not see a reason for “awful” damage say in WvW. Just one example. Maybe that isn’t fair because, well, I think most of us know that format is broke…

How does the Druid’s sustain compare to other classes? Is balance there all things being equal, if possible, outside the player skill?

Put simply, game balance. Every playstyle should have a weakness in a game like GW2. If a build is too mobile, damaging, survivable and supportive all at once then there is no reason to play any other build. This doesn’t mean that every build should be able to compare itself to another, trading off a point of damage for a point in survivability and the like at a one to one rate.

The druid traitline focuses on healing and amplifying allies, as an elite spec, that should make the traitline definitive of what your build is supposed to do. As an elite spec, the goal is to dedicate yourself to support, by the nature of having more healing abilities you are more survivable so that means you have to pay in mobility or damage. Since rangers have good mobility and it’s difficult and more against theme to reduce that with Druid, damage has to the part that suffers.

It’s not that your damage is reduced for being a druid either, but that you miss out on damage options by taking Druid, are encouraged to take healing options over damage or active defence options for better astral force gain and results in basically no damage output in celestial avatar form. Damage output seems like it was always intended to be the weakness of a druid.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Melee damage is likely to be addressed with spoilersoulbeastspoiler.

I disagree with Druid needing more damage. It doesn’t need damage, it’s fine.

NSPride <3

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

Put simply, game balance. Every playstyle should have a weakness in a game like GW2. If a build is too mobile, damaging, survivable and supportive all at once then there is no reason to play any other build. This doesn’t mean that every build should be able to compare itself to another, trading off a point of damage for a point in survivability and the like at a one to one rate.

The druid traitline focuses on healing and amplifying allies, as an elite spec, that should make the traitline definitive of what your build is supposed to do. As an elite spec, the goal is to dedicate yourself to support, by the nature of having more healing abilities you are more survivable so that means you have to pay in mobility or damage. Since rangers have good mobility and it’s difficult and more against theme to reduce that with Druid, damage has to the part that suffers.

It’s not that your damage is reduced for being a druid either, but that you miss out on damage options by taking Druid, are encouraged to take healing options over damage or active defence options for better astral force gain and results in basically no damage output in celestial avatar form. Damage output seems like it was always intended to be the weakness of a druid.

Interesting take, not that I disagree but I guess my point is that other classes have more sustain. Warrior and Ele come to mind. Be that has it may I don’t see much balance regardless of class.

Just my opinion anyway. No big

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Interesting take, not that I disagree but I guess my point is that other classes have more sustain. Warrior and Ele come to mind. Be that has it may I don’t see much balance regardless of class.

The thing with those two classes is it’s self sustain, where a Druid has group or team sustain, and also is extremely supportive. Think of going Druid like going bunker Guardian back in the day, you trade away your damage potential for ridiculous sustain for you and your allies. However, Druid doesn’t have quite as much self sustain as they because they also have a lot more mobility, and group sustain/support.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

The thing with those two classes is it’s self sustain, where a Druid has group or team sustain, and also is extremely supportive. Think of going Druid like going bunker Guardian back in the day, you trade away your damage potential for ridiculous sustain for you and your allies. However, Druid doesn’t have quite as much self sustain as they because they also have a lot more mobility, and group sustain/support.

Right you don’t mean water ele, Right?

i’m tired of seen the immortal bunker ele in clerics that magically swap to air and the amount of damage is astounding. When not in water healing the zerg how the druid is supposed to do.

Hey let’s not forget Ventari revenant which can heal for a lot more than the druid. And then swap to whatever instance and begin the song of the mad output DPS.

Yeh sure lotta balance this game has.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

PLEASE START DOING WHAT’S BEST FOR THE END USERS, not what’s easier for the team to do. You all have the capability to make gw2 have some of the best class and combat systems around, so just bunker down and do it. Stop being cheap with class development.

I’m sure I can come up with more, but yet again with out of touch updates that do not tackle the real problems that have been well known. Yes, there were a few improvements, but how many more community posts and CDIs will it take to fix up this profession? When does anet, a professional game company, actually make a real effort to fix and improve and revamp… professions? They are the most important aspects of the game so do something!

Research this and please get familiar with a balanced and fun and diverse class and skill system that was way ahead of its time, created by development team that cared about the main user experience… Also, please start moving away from all these wacky profession designs, mechanics, and useless skills you are attempting to balance, and start focusing on making the classes and combat in gW2 the best of any other mmo.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

MY PETS CAN’T KEEP UP WITH ME

This doesn’t bother me in PvE but in WvW, are you kidding? My pet MUST be swapped close to my enemy because my OTHER pet is a mile behind me and cna’t keep up with me even when I do switch.

MY PETS RARELY HIT THE ENEMY

Pets are supposed to be half or close to it, but even if it was one third of my damage, my pet zips past most enemies then returns to some gosh-awful path and then tries again by that time it’s long past when it should have hit anything and I am close to dead or dead or it is dead.

NERFS FOR RANGERS BUFFS FOR ALL OTHERS

Who uses a shortbow? MOST players don’t and looking at the skills in the nerf list three of them I use every single day were blasted down while Shortbow of all things gets ‘buffed’ but not really, it was just returned to a pre-nerf state from a previous nerf, no gains for anyone else.

Nerf to power. again.

HEALING NERFED AGAIN

Troll Unguent is a LONG cooldown compared to many heals, but you now limit it to eight seconds out of the shortest time, twenty seconds, do you even get how little healing we are getting in WvW in eight seconds when we are being hit and how long that twenty seconds can be when you are two shotted by many who have shorter cooldowns, no, no you don’t.

OK, nerf us to the ground, many of us will shelve our Rangers for WvW and PvP until some real balance is brought to the table where Druids and Rangers are concerned.

I don’t want to play Condi, but you took away the Power option and my healing is a joke compared to many, if not all others.

I agree on the trait changes, it does nothing for us since it didn’t up my power past what little I had before, a net loss of power and healing all the way around.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

atheria.2837

THIS IS NOT HOW YOU DO CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK

It was very constructive and honest.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

atheria.2837

i’m tired of seen the immortal bunker ele in clerics that magically swap to air and the amount of damage is astounding. When not in water healing the zerg how the druid is supposed to do.

Hey let’s not forget Ventari revenant which can heal for a lot more than the druid. And then swap to whatever instance and begin the song of the mad output DPS.

Totally agree with you, this ‘balance patch’ is an insult and a slap in the face to all Rangers and Druids who don’t want to use condi and DO want to use healing and power.

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Who uses a shortbow? MOST players don’t and looking at the skills in the nerf list three of them I use every single day were blasted down while Shortbow of all things gets ‘buffed’ but not really, it was just returned to a pre-nerf state from a previous nerf, no gains for anyone else.

Ok, seriously, what’s your citation for this? Because none of the buffs that have been given to shortbow are equivalent to nerfs in its skill history. Heck, the only nerf shortbow has ever gotten was the drop to 900 range and these buffs certainly can’t be described as returning it to its pre-nerf state.

So again, what’s the nerf you’re referring to when you say that these shortbow buffs are undoing a previous nerf?

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Ok, seriously, what’s your citation for this? Because none of the buffs that have been given to shortbow are equivalent to nerfs in its skill history. Heck, the only nerf shortbow has ever gotten was the drop to 900 range and these buffs certainly can’t be described as returning it to its pre-nerf state.

So again, what’s the nerf you’re referring to when you say that these shortbow buffs are undoing a previous nerf?

Aside from it’s range, it’s probably at a point where it does as much, if not more dps than the old machine gun zerk sb did.

The only reason why it was even considered good was because our other options, especially longbow, were complete trash tier in terms of damage at the time. No fast rapid fire, no hard hitting path of scars, and whirling hit like a spring breeze.

That form also lost a significant amount of it’s damage when they reduced quickness to 50% attack speed for everyone.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

WvW point of view, not many, very few, use SB. Even fewer use any form of melee.

WvW point of view, too many conditions, CC, daze, or other things leaving red circles on the ground that trip up Druids healing ability.

Let us be honest here. Healing was not really designed into the game in a traditional sense of play. Just like tanking and raids. It is more of a band aid trying to keep players interested in the game.

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

WvW point of view, not many, very few, use SB. Even fewer use any form of melee.

WvW point of view, too many conditions, CC, daze, or other things leaving red circles on the ground that trip up Druids healing ability.

Let us be honest here. Healing was not really designed into the game in a traditional sense of play. Just like tanking and raids. It is more of a band aid trying to keep players interested in the game.

Yup

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Gotta say, I haven’t played in PvP in a long time, so I’m not sure what’s roaming around the nets nowadays, but I’m pretty sure that just due to how else and rev work that they lose their sustain when they swap out of their “healer” form. And last I checked, unlike Druid whose healing and sustain is very bursty, and when used right can counteract burst, theirs is all sustain and can’t handle burst as well.

But again, I haven’t played against those two builds since I haven’t PvPed since like season 3 or somethin like that, I’m gonna have to jump in a few games next week and check this out before I comment more on the subject.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna