Control, control, control

in Ranger

Posted by: Oak da Vite.9054

Oak da Vite.9054

Has anyone ever tried a build like this while roaming?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJAVRjEq0xaLLmsQ1aADhqVLwOAagFwdREDXdKzJIs9A-TVTAABpq+DFXABbVC2kyPHM/NjOEi2foiDJAAPAgBOSAwohgFNBPcACIEg5FA-w

• Near 100% crit-chance (100% with knight armor instead of cavalier).
  • Lots of stuns with increased duration using greatsword, shortbow, pink moa and the boar F2.
  • Some immobilize with entangle and muddy terrain.
  • Lots of bleeding on shortbow which hardly does any damage but might pull some condition removes.
  • Nice condition remove on survival skills.
  • Massremove on elite with Lyssa-runes.
  • Good amount of armor and a solid health base.
  • 2 stunbreakers

Enemies without stability / stunbreakers / immobilze remove will suffer very hard, won’t they?

Da Vite – Miller’s Sound
Last Phoenix [Nix]

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I’d ditch the boar and moa for better CC pets. It’s really hard to impossible to land the CC those two have. Take a wolf and a spider/drakehound/alpine wolf/snow leopard/whatevs.

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Enemies without stability / stunbreakers / immobilze remove will suffer very hard, won’t they?

There’s your problem, though. Most good players will run these, as immobilize is a general condi (removed by all cleanses), and a stunbreaker/immobilize is a pretty standard thing to have on most builds. Even stealth will cancel your shortbow damage, which frankly won’t even really be that high since you have both low power and condition damage.

in Ranger

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

in Ranger

Posted by: Oak da Vite.9054

Oak da Vite.9054

I’d ditch the boar and moa for better CC pets. It’s really hard to impossible to land the CC those two have. Take a wolf and a spider/drakehound/alpine wolf/snow leopard/whatevs.

Well the F2 of the boar has a 50% chance on a 4s stun and a Knockdown on passive. The stun of the moa is also increased to 4s. Of course the timing is very important, but simply the amount of stuns and immobilize you have increases the possibility to land further CCs.

There’s your problem, though. Most good players will run these, as immobilize is a general condi (removed by all cleanses), and a stunbreaker/immobilize is a pretty standard thing to have on most builds. Even stealth will cancel your shortbow damage, which frankly won’t even really be that high since you have both low power and condition damage.

Well, they will run these, but many classes have only 2 or 3 stunbreakers on a high cd. This build has more stuns which also last for a long time. Also the shortbow is not for the damage. It is used to put some bleeding and poison to make the enemy use his condition remove to land your immobilze afterwards. The lack power will be compensated by the high crit chance making you crit almost permanently on greatsword with the possibility of gaining attack opportunities for even more damage.

I know this is all theory crafting. I will have to try it out. Thanks for your advise.

Da Vite – Miller’s Sound
Last Phoenix [Nix]

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

The wolf has a 2 second AoE fear which lands reliably, a 2 second KD, and a 5 second cripple. That’s way better than the moa, which is extremely difficult to do anything with. Your target has to already be CCd or severely not paying attention for the moa to land her stuff.

The boar is a little better, but the charge is massively telegraphed and has a pretty difficult time hitting a moving target. Even in PvE the boar often goes flying off your screen in to the sunset, which is worse than if it didn’t even try the charge. The weapon skill is slow and can be picked up by your enemies(!). I think the reliable CC of spiders (6 seconds untraited) or any of the other more reliable CC pets will get you higher CC uptime, even if on paper it isn’t as good.

I think it’s worth restating the the pink moa and pig family struggle badly to land their skills even in PvE. Anet needs to address that.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

I’d use the spider with Immobilise and have it’s F2 skill always activated. That way, you can proc 2 immobilisations with an average of 15 seconds between them. Also, the wolf’s fear ckittened to proc a stunbreak or using it after stunbreak has been procced.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

have it’s F2 skill always activated.

Anyone know, there is no round-about way to autocast pet F2s is there? I tried using an eagle the other day and found myself dedicating way too much concentration on keeping that fast recharging bleed on my opponents. So annoying.

in Ranger

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

Anyone know, there is no round-about way to autocast pet F2s is there? I tried using an eagle the other day and found myself dedicating way too much concentration on keeping that fast recharging bleed on my opponents. So annoying.

Does ctrl-right-click with the f2 put it on auto like the skill bar…skills? Try it I guess.

Seriously hard to not mock the suggestion that ANET will have put THAT much thought into the pet controls…..

At op, interesting build with the upcopming changes. Shame you’ll have to wait so long to try it. Last I heard we were guessing the patch would be ready around September?

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Don’t think you can, but I will admit I never tried.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

You can’t control click the pet skill, first thing I tried. That really hampers the effectiveness of the eagle F2 since you have to think about it every 8 seconds while you’re trying to dodge an earthshaker and clear condis and what not. Anyway, totally off topic.

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

Well ideally you’d want to use it strategically to blind your foe (less so for bleed I imagine ) at just the right moment. too bad you need to compensate for the bird remembering how to fly before it launches off to blind your foe

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

The blind on raven I love having control over. You don’t want to spam that, you use it strategically. The eagle however, is high maintenance for something that is totally low reward and low skill. All if does is put bleeding on the target. I guess you would get use to it.

in Ranger

solrik.6028

Using the Eagle’s skill is like any other skill. For weapons, everyone starts out by looking at least 2 times if a skill is available. After a while, everyone gets a feel for it.

Same happened for me when I used the Eagle, I just learned to quickly press the F2 button or to use it when I’m in a leap or an uncontrollable situation.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Ya I was thinking the same thing. I am currently in a different state of mind where I use pets almost like elite skills. The pets I like have fight-changing special abilities that need to be used at a specific time. And then there is the weird pet out, the eagle, which is basically a warrior weapon skill that needs to be used on recharge.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Umm… this is a L2P issue more than the automatic issue.
Plus you can only automate one skill, so I rather spam f2 every 6 seconds than continuely pressing 1.
Plus if you struggle with just pressing f2, you’d have ALOT more trouble playing an engineer or an ele… Try to adapt, ranger is already the easiest class to play in PVE.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Not having any L2P issues on ele or ranger. Anywho, competitive players don’t keep “autoattack” actually on “auto” so you have more control. It’s really important when facing perplexity and other confusion stackers. Triply important when using a 1h sword.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Not having any L2P issues on ele or ranger. Anywho, competitive players don’t keep “autoattack” actually on “auto” so you have more control. It’s really important when facing perplexity and other confusion stackers. Triply important when using a 1h sword.

Just select stop auto attack on target switch, click the floor and you wont auto-attack anymore… (Also diselect auto targeting, it’s not good for most classes in pvp)
Plus I don’t think your original post is talking about pvp anyway…
You’re just feel managing a 6 seconds recharge skill is too much to handle, which I said is a total L2P issue.

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

It’s not too much to handle. It’s tedious and not player friendly. There’s a difference. He knows how to push F2. He knows he has to push it every 6 seconds. The point he’s making is it should be on the birds secondary attack and not something a player need waste their time with every 6 seconds.

in Ranger

solrik.6028

Just select stop auto attack on target switch, click the floor and you wont auto-attack anymore… (Also diselect auto targeting, it’s not good for most classes in pvp)
You’re just feel managing a 6 seconds recharge skill is too much to handle, which I said is a total L2P issue.

I find “Stow Weapon” to be more efficient.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

While that method works for non-1H sword weapons (where you’d be suicidal to keep autoattack on in competitive formats), it’s just not efficient enough. You need to have 100% control of your character instantly in WvW roaming and PvP when you’re fighting against multiple opponents or very skilled opponents. It may seem small, but it makes a world of difference.

In addition to taking too much time, your method can also be complicated by multiple opponents and finding a safe place to click (or even finding your mouse at all! I only use mine to turn the camera and everything else has a keybind.)

I use only cats in PvE.