Countering revenant?

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

That unrelenting assault spam can be vicious and dodging only mitigates some of the damage. Should I pop signet of stone during this and if so at what point? Since revenant is an energy class that should give me some leeway for countering. I run staff and longbow, pets are bristleback and smokescale.

I’m thinking of just tanking the first relentless assault then popping signet of stone. Since sometimes there’s just one guy on a point the need to be good at dueling is obvious. I’ve beaten engineers, reapers, and even some revenants before but matches seem to be getting tougher. This isn’t a complaint thread but a learn to play thread.

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

Stealth breaks it, so you could try firing a LB3 at another enemy, or blast your smokescakes smokefield. Or you could staff 3 at max range since the whole thing is an evade frame.

Since the attacks are divided when it comes to multiple people, run towards the rest of your team, or hug your pet so you don’t eat all the hits.

Honestly I’d never pop SoS for that unless I’m super low and know I’m going to die from it…

(edited by bloodpyrope.8630)

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Agemnon.4608

Thanks. Yeah they can be a tough duel but druid seems equipped to deal with them decently compared to some other classes.

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Revenants have very weak heals (unless you burst them when in glint heal like a soloQ hero) and next to zero condi removal.

Also 99% of them just run the usual herald/shiro they copy pasted from metabattle and their rotation is always the same.

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Shiro Herald (imo ) is easy to counter. It’s mallyx, condi strip/confusion/torment spam that is nasty.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

@Agemnon.4608, just dodge once when they use Unrelenting Assault, what they’re trying to do is make you waste dodges so they can use Enchanted Daggers + Impossible Odds while using their Auto-Attack which is much higher damage and this will kill you allot faster than Unrelenting Assault.

I recommend using Energy Sigils on both weapons so you can keep up the dodges.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

lighting reflexes away , draws enough space and the follow up attacks of miss , it breaks the whole chain.

its all about ground control on a ranger don’t let them set the pace , break away reset your pressence with a Huntershot>pbs if he tries to continue the Impossible odds combo from that point switch to staff and CC the hell out of him.

though do remember staff is weak but fast great cc and mobility , LB is slow but powerful , so do make sure you have the correct pet out not a CC pet as that will stop damage to cc rather than put on pressure .

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Revenants are very strong one v. one. They grow weaker the more people are around. Run to a teammate if you can. If you can’t and you are engaging him keep your pet close by so you can split the damage of the UA with your pet. If you can get near a wall…hug it. UA stops working once the revenant is by a wall (seriously, this happens to me on my rev all the bloody time it’s really annoying.) Stealth is also very good against UA. Blocks/invulns work well. Pay attention to when he has enchanted daggers up because he is about to burst you most likely.

Make sure you do NOT hit him when you see infused light (his glint heal) on his bar. If you hit him, you will heal him. Not hitting him means he heals for crap. If the rev is shiro/glint he is very weak against condi. When he switches to shiro light him up with condis (though with your staff/bow I don’t think you can do that, but if you decide to switch to condi spec keep this in mind).

A revenant in Shiro has excellent access to cc breaks with riposting shadows so keep that in mind. When in glint he is more vulnerable to cc.

Now a mallyx condi revenant is kind of a different story. These can be extra tough because of their torment spam and their resistance to condis. Remember if they stack torment on you the last thing you want to do is run away. You need strong condi cleanse against one of these.

(edited by xarallei.4279)

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

to honest i have not had a problem defeating revs with my condi ranger. but sometimes when they get the jump on me the spike me down before i can do anything. In these cases you just have to give them the win.

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Anthrage.2519

Anthrage.2519

I also play a condition-based Ranger, running traps and longbow, and I don’t typically have an issue with Revs – it is true that they can catch you in a bad situation and get you down, but generally it doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue. Stealth definitely helps.

Ranger Anthrage Stormrider – Sanguine Wild Guild [SW]
sPvP BuildWvW Build
Tarnished Coast Server- Anthrage Stormrider on Youtube

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I play trapper druid and traps work wonders. DH, reves basically everything goes down fast. Mallyx reve might be an issue, but good news is, even in mallyx he needs to invoke the skill that gives him resistance and that thing is not insta-cast. Add cc to your traps and your neigbourhood mallyx will be resisting condies back at his home base.

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: iao.6403

iao.6403

A tip because I didn’t see it anywhere in the thread: if you have Spike Trap save it for their block heal and you’ll destroy them. It’s unblockable and launches enemies, so it interrupts the heal and gives you chance to burst the kitten out of them.

It’s also a good opening for your pet F2 especially Bristleback’s or pet taunt/weakness/blind, you just need to time it well.

I often win 1v1s against Revenants as a condition (Wanderer’s) or hybrid damage (Celestial/Viper’s) build. Especially hybrid when on point with sword/torch + axe/warhorn, but keep in mind this is a non-Druid build.

After Unrelenting Assault (which is mitigated in numerous ways stated in this thread) I use axe 2 & 3 + warhorn 4, then switch to sword + torch, pop Quickening Zephyr, and spam its skills. Once the block heal inevitably comes, plant Spike Trap and do another burst rotation. If they tried to stay on cap they’re dead, but if they try to run I use Entangle and spam the sword auto attack for constant cripple application while each hit does 1-1.2k per crit, switching to axe/warhorn if they use a movement skill.

As a Druid I’d use Shortbow + Axe/Torch (or Dagger) with Wanderer’s/Viper’s and it’d be largely the same occurrence except Ancient Seeds and Celestial Form would help quite a lot. Honestly I don’t see myself losing 1v1 to a standard Revenant build that way.

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Anthrage.2519

Anthrage.2519

Good point about Spike Trap, adding the launch/knockdown to it added so much value to other abilities – executing it from LB3 stealth and landing Entangle when they are on their kitten , especially if using the Krait rune, is very effective.

Ranger Anthrage Stormrider – Sanguine Wild Guild [SW]
sPvP BuildWvW Build
Tarnished Coast Server- Anthrage Stormrider on Youtube

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Honestly? I’ve never had an issue with that class. Ever. My most feared opponents are Burn Guardians, Greatsword Mesmers who know what they’re doing, and Life-Stacking/Life-Sucking Necros . . . in that order.

The rest are free points.

And yes, that includes revenants. And no, I’m not telling you my traits, skills, or gear. I’ve eaten enough nerfs this year, thank you.

Gone to Reddit.

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

There’s little you can do. Your best bet is power damage, sticking to teammates, saving Celestial Avatar for cleanse once they stack up a lot of confusion.

Decent Condition/Celestial Revenant should always win 1v1 against Druid.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: dodgerrule.8739

dodgerrule.8739

The key to get rid of the revenant while using unrelenting assault is to use knockback as soon as it does one of their hits. They can be knocked back once they appear to attack. Their assault makes them appear for brief moments before hitting the player

Dodger Rule Ranger – Fort Aspenwood

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I find using low yield nuclear weapons work. Other than that, wait until the balance patch hits and hope they get addressed then. New class, of course it is going to be OP and the favorite.

Then again, several good suggestions here but my personal choice is still the nuke.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I find using low yield nuclear weapons work. Other than that, wait until the balance patch hits and hope they get addressed then. New class, of course it is going to be OP and the favorite.

Then again, several good suggestions here but my personal choice is still the nuke.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

Honestly? I’ve never had an issue with that class. Ever. My most feared opponents are Burn Guardians, Greatsword Mesmers who know what they’re doing, and Life-Stacking/Life-Sucking Necros . . . in that order.

And yes, that includes revenants. And no, I’m not telling you my traits, skills, or gear. I’ve eaten enough nerfs this year, thank you.

u know anet can view ur build as Game moderators if they really feel somethings overpowered they’ll just do it that way :P.. and all elites are going to get nerfed in the end :P lol. Specially given most top tier players with any experience with the Ranger have thrown all ranger builds out there, some streamers have like 13-14 Druid builds Printed on their twitch accounts.

I wouldnt bother attempting to hide things from anet :P they can see whatever they want to really see, i guess getting it bandwagon’d could cause more interest then needed though tbh.

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Agemnon.4608

I’ve found dragonhunters and reapers to be my easiest duels against druid. My traits are like the one on metabattle but with long bow in place of a greatsword and the beastmastery line giving weakness on pet ability instead of the two handed skill (don’t need a trait improving greatsword power if I don’t use a greatsword). I take signet of stone, glyph of the tides, and the daze stunbreak one and strength of the pack for celestial avatar stability.

Mesmers on the other hand are still tough, even the ESL people are complaining about them.

Countering revenant?

in Ranger

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Most are weak to condi. The more of them around the harder they are to kill and always watch for the CoR spam. That thing can spike some 5 digit damage if standing in the right spot when it hits. Oh and watch for the regen on hit. As soon as they pop that count to five before attacking them again.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”