[Creative] Replace 'Soften the Fall'

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Soften the Fall – Create Muddy Terrain when you take falling damage. You take less damage from falling.

So no one knows why arenanet decided to keep those traits that nobody ever uses. Well turns out nobody does use them now either so they are just a wasted slot. Let’s do some brainstorming what could be there instead. Keep in mind that the icon of the trait is a feather so maybe find something that fits this theme.

My suggestion:

Featherweight – Distance of your movement skills is increased by 50%. Auras generated by leap finishers last 50% longer.

(edited by Dojo.1867)

in Ranger

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Hey, I use those skills…for jumping puzzles.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Anet keeps those fall damage reduction traits for Jumping Puzzles. Personally, fall damage reduction should be baseline so something useful can be created in place of these fall traits for every class.

My suggestion for the feathered icon:
“You move 25% faster. You and your Pet gain Super Speed for 2s after you evade an attack. 10s ICD”

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Do people really swap to those traits for jumping puzzles? Never did that ever.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nachyochez.9758

Nachyochez.9758

They’re also great for traveling in WvW; you can skip down normally lethal mountains to get to an objective far faster. Alternatively, you can lead enemies up to a higher ground for combat and jump down to escape w/o instantly being dead/downed.

Skif F Galco (War) | Bas Flaith (Thf) | Rawr Doomshot (Rng) | Cheshire Glamourclaw (Mes)

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

To quote myself from the other day…

Soften the Fall – Remove the Muddy Terrain part and merge with Natural Vigor.
Replacement for Soften the Fall – Storm’s Embrace – “You move 25% faster.”

Then I would also…

Refined Toxins and Poison Master – Delete Refined Toxins, move Poison Master to Master tier and change to “Whenever you hit with an attack, your target is poisoned for 1s. You deal 20% more damage with Poison.” Allowing perma poison as long as you continue attacking.

Replacement for Poison Master in GM – Natural Stride – “Whenever you gain a condition, you also gain Super Speed and Resistance for 2s. 5s ICD”

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I use soften the fall ;-(

in Ranger

Posted by: Malchior.1928

Malchior.1928

Soften the Fall – Create Muddy Terrain when you take falling damage. You take less damage from falling.

So no one knows why arenanet decided to keep those traits that nobody ever uses.

Don’t you dare touch my fall damage traits.

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I love soften the fall, it always looks like the jump scared us so much that we literally crapped ourselves.

But seriously, the only fall damage trait worth taking is the warriors for trolling people on gates and at hills cata spot.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

I’ve been using it in a WK , remoreless build for Vunrability Bombing .

rather than following the wvw commander through a door i’d go up to the wall Barrage off with pet swap quickness + RF and then jump down to trigger a Cleanse+fury renewing Opening strikes for Spike trap and then Entangle>Swap Sword+dagger evade chain>LR>swap Repeat.

I have no need for Oakheart Salve 5% won’t last in large fights or Pet condi duration increase in WvW not viable for large fights especially .because there are too many cleanses in the ball , i’d proberly use these two in small group roaming or confined spaces.

i do swap out Soften the Fall for Expertise Training " if the groups attacking a tower or fort" just for some extra damage from a poison cloud from a spider or a poison barbs from a Devourer (get close to lord Pet swap to Devourer quickness f2 5x poison stacks)
though it has its uses .

i find soften the fall with WK is invaluable while zerging vs larger groups while flipping towers is its advantage , not so great on flat ground so i’d use one of the other two.

in Ranger

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

I love soften the fall it has saved me so many times. In wve its great I use it to cut corners to catch up to my zerg as well as great escape. There are even a couple of times people dont realize I used a trait so they jump down after me and instant die. I already had my throw traps trait taken I don’t want to loose soften the fall

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

in Ranger

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

I think they should just retool the Soften the Fall trait. Change it to:

Reduce falling damage by 50%. While falling, skin a pet and lay the fur as a rug under you. Pose seductively on your bear skin rug, stunning nearby enemies.

Can’t lose!

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

in Ranger

Nachyochez.9758

Reduce falling damage by 50%. While falling, skin a pet and lay the fur as a rug under you. Pose seductively on your bear skin rug, stunning nearby enemies.

Can’t lose!

Like so?
http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/03/27/ryan-reynolds-deadpool.jpg

Skif F Galco (War) | Bas Flaith (Thf) | Rawr Doomshot (Rng) | Cheshire Glamourclaw (Mes)

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

50% damage reduction is no reason to keep this trait, just remove the muddy terrain part and merge it with Natural Vigor, makes sense taking the WS line would then automatically give fall dmg reduction and then we could have some useful trait.

in Ranger

MattyP.6954

Can’t lose!

Like so?
http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/03/27/ryan-reynolds-deadpool.jpg

Yes. Exactly that.

Stunning

Server — Fort Aspenwood

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

50% damage reduction is no reason to keep this trait, just remove the muddy terrain part and merge it with Natural Vigor, makes sense taking the WS line would then automatically give fall dmg reduction and then we could have some useful trait.

No sense in merging fall damage reduction as part of a traitline when it can be rolled baseline into the game. Even those that love to do Jumping Puzzles would probably like the idea of not having to swap out a trait beforehand so they can just start as soon as possible.

Edit: As for the “effects when receiving fall damage” portions, those can be rolled in with the disabled traits, such as Shared Anguish.

in Ranger

Nachyochez.9758

No sense in merging fall damage reduction as part of a traitline when it can be rolled baseline into the game. Even those that love to do Jumping Puzzles would probably like the idea of not having to swap out a trait beforehand so they can just start as soon as possible.

Edit: As for the “effects when receiving fall damage” portions, those can be rolled in with the disabled traits, such as Shared Anguish.

That would remove the point of the fall damage traits… If they’re all base line, then everyone has them and using them for escape tactics becomes pointless. Currently, they have limited usefulness, but they’re always there for anyone who wants to pick them up.

Rolling them into another trait would certainly give them more utility, but I personally like them the way they are.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

That would remove the point of the fall damage traits… If they’re all base line, then everyone has them and using them for escape tactics becomes pointless. Currently, they have limited usefulness, but they’re always there for anyone who wants to pick them up.

Rolling them into another trait would certainly give them more utility, but I personally like them the way they are.

That’s the point – to remove the point of the trait’s existence lol. Sure, everyone can use them for escape tactics, so what? There have been changes more dramatic throughout the game in the past (ie: leaps and dashes change) that overshadow taking a trait so you can survive a cliff jump while your pursuer doesn’t.

in Ranger

Nachyochez.9758

That’s the point – to remove the point of the trait’s existence lol. Sure, everyone can use them for escape tactics, so what? There have been changes more dramatic throughout the game in the past (ie: leaps and dashes change) that overshadow taking a trait so you can survive a cliff jump while your pursuer doesn’t.

Actually, it wouldn’t allow everyone to use escape tactics, it would make it so no one could use escape tactics. I’m also not implying that there haven’t been bigger changes, or that this change would completely change the scope of WvW, I’m simply saying that not everyone wants the fall damage traits removed, and since they aren’t hurting anyone by being there so long as there’s another option, they should be left alone!

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Guess the middle ground then is to have the fall damage traits merged with the disabled traits, because opening a trait slot for something that can be beneficial in multiple modes and situations far exceeds keeping a fall trait in an adept tier. Just seems like a waste to me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

To suggest soften fall should be base line is ridiculous. Anet might as well reduce fail damage all together. Its also a group skill falling first can save other that fall after you if traited.

Now I understand that trait space is limited and having a trait that isn’t so niche would be better but I think some undervalue this skill. When HoT comes out falling is something more people will be guarding against.

Now once Hot comes out we might want to revisit this but doing anything now would be premature.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Its also a group skill falling first can save other that fall after you if traited.

Have proof of this? This is the first time I have heard of it. Also, yeah, making it baseline might be a knee-jerk suggestion (at least by me) but there is some merit merging it with disabled traits to free open an adept slot.

Edit: Just tested it a few times with help from other Rangers. Soften the Fall does not affect others that fall after you. If it once did, then it no longer does. All Rangers had equal health pools (15,922) and did not have Soften the Fall traited for except my Ranger.

Attachments:

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

MattyP.6954

Its also a group skill falling first can save other that fall after you if traited.

Have proof of this? This is the first time I have heard of it. Also, yeah, making it baseline might be a knee-jerk suggestion (at least by me) but there is some merit merging it with disabled traits to free open an adept slot.

If it’s baseline, it’s just a nerf to fall damage and everyone gets a free effect on falling. It’s dumb.

Games where you build your characters are about choices. If you want fall damage mitigation, then you will have to go along with not having one of the alternatives (sorry)

Server — Fort Aspenwood

in Ranger

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

I like this trait. It’s the only essential trait I find for World Completion.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Guess the middle ground then is to have the fall damage traits merged with the disabled traits, because opening a trait slot for something that can be beneficial in multiple modes and situations far exceeds keeping a fall trait in an adept tier. Just seems like a waste to me.

Hmm, I think it should still be available without even choosing a trait at all, merged with a minor in the ‘Survival’ trait line (other classes too) you don’t have to waste a trait choice on it, you can just pick better survival which always includes a reduction to falling damage.

Natural Vigor; “You regain endurance +20% faster and take 50% less damage from falling.”

Looks good to me