Critique my build

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: Aevis.4632

Aevis.4632

Hello everyone. My ranger is almost lvl 80(8 levels to go) and I wanted to playa. Trapper build for wvw roaming/group stuff. I made this build after I gotten some suggestions from a ranger from my server but I’m not 100% fully confident if it’s ok.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRAsf3YjAVx11VuVo2Bi2DN1fMxewfH9IXhRVyoqA-jUyAItBRTBCE1AkOAnHLiGbdrIasaGM1KRUtXpIa1CB8YOA-w

If you guys could look it over and give suggestions of changes and stuff that would be amazing. Thank you in advanced.

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I would only change Oakheart Salve to something else, I suggest Off Hand Training.
You’ll get tons of regen already, it would be redundant.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Just a few things really..

Vipers Nest is generally considered the worst trap, especiall since rangers already have good poison options from sword and dagger. If you’re in a group fighting situation then of cause AoE poison is great, and it has a low CD so is by no means worthless, but I’d consider using the frost trap instead. Chill is amazing. You could also consider SoH for movement speed, or a defensive utility like LR or Protect Me, but thats up to you, just so you know you dont need to run 3 traps nessesarily.

Also I’d suggest condition duration food (especially since you arent using your precision at all). Its always worth it on my condition build.

And finally.. Consider Sigils of Geomancy or Tormenting, it will add a lot more to your damage than +10% bleed duration will, I promise.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Vipers Nest is generally considered the worst trap, especiall since rangers already have good poison options from sword and dagger. If you’re in a group fighting situation then of cause AoE poison is great, and it has a low CD so is by no means worthless, but I’d consider using the frost trap instead. Chill is amazing. You could also consider SoH for movement speed, or a defensive utility like LR or Protect Me, but thats up to you, just so you know you dont need to run 3 traps nessesarily.

Also I’d suggest condition duration food (especially since you arent using your precision at all). Its always worth it on my condition build.

And finally.. Consider Sigils of Geomancy or Tormenting, it will add a lot more to your damage than +10% bleed duration will, I promise.

Or even more fun, Use sigil of ice and sigil of hydromancy for even more chill-spam

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Critique my build

in Ranger

Aevis.4632

Cool thanks for the feed back

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: Demus.4218

Demus.4218

I disagree that you need offhand training. If your spamming your traps you won’t have a problem with cooldowns. The reduced cooldown won’t have any effect and oakheart salve will keep your regen up 100% of the time.

That said, I run almost the exact same build with celestial instead of apothecary and without the traps (but using offhand training). The benefit of a stun break, SoW and an extra utility far outweighs the extra conditions from the traps which will just get cleansed right away anyhow. With celestial you end up with 700 instead of 1200 condi and a whole lot more of everything else. Takes a month to farm out the celestial gear though.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRBHhx+1JQFVWmYhVQsWGIaP4k5PP7hh4ficFGVJjqC-j0CBoiBEbMy00wkHAEIQEBgJqFRjtupIasqaER1qkYGxFRrGA-w

Critique my build

in Ranger

Cufufalating.8479

I’ve never liked celestial.. Such strange stats. Berserker levels of crit damage and nice crit chance but almost no power to back it up.. and then suprisingly low armour as well.

All very odd, but whatever works I guess.

Gunnar’s Hold

Critique my build

in Ranger

Aevis.4632

Just wanted to say that after hitting 80 yesterday and trying out this build in wvw, I am very happy! Not many chances for solo roaming fights in my math up but the fights I did have, I won them both! First fight was 2v1 with a condition engi and a guardian, second was with a power necro. Ranger is a very fun class!

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: Gorath.5076

Gorath.5076

I disagree that you need offhand training. If your spamming your traps you won’t have a problem with cooldowns. The reduced cooldown won’t have any effect and oakheart salve will keep your regen up 100% of the time.

Off hand training also makes the effects of your off-hand weapons stronger, e.g. doubling the radius of your Bonfire which makes it quite worth its while.

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

I was going to say about this, about sigils though you could pick both geomancy and tormenting sigils as tormenting doesn’t seem to be linked to the icd of other sigils I know it works simultaneously with earth anyway worth testing perhaps?

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

That said, I run almost the exact same build with celestial instead of apothecary and without the traps (but using offhand training). The benefit of a stun break, SoW and an extra utility far outweighs the extra conditions from the traps which will just get cleansed right away anyhow. With celestial you end up with 700 instead of 1200 condi and a whole lot more of everything else. Takes a month to farm out the celestial gear though.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRBHhx+1JQFVWmYhVQsWGIaP4k5PP7hh4ficFGVJjqC-j0CBoiBEbMy00wkHAEIQEBgJqFRjtupIasqaER1qkYGxFRrGA-w

Full set of dwayna will already keep regen at 100% combined with rejuvenation and nature’s bounty though, oakheart seems the least useful trait of all in this case.

Critique my build

in Ranger

Demus.4218

The radius of the bonfire is very helpful and so is the range on the dagger 5 cripple. Its doubly so when you’re relying on your traps and skills as defense (without a stun break).

Just from personal experience I find that dwayna/rejuvenation/nature’s bounty don’t actually keep your regen up 100% of the time, which is another important part of your defense. Its all you have when you get surprised by a thief while you’re soloing a camp. A roamer needs to be able to make it out of that situation.

The good part is that its super easy to switch between the two to try it out right? If you’re going into a zerg where you know you want the extra bonfire radius, just switch the trait. In the same vein I would suggest dropping nature’s bounty for nature’s protection proc on the heavy it, and keeping oakheart for the regen up time. Something else to try out. I’m not sure if it would keep your regen up as much as you would want or not. … depends on the opponent I’d guess.

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

If i were you, i’d change vigor when getting crit, to +10% crit damage when using axe MH. It will help raise your DPS considerably.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Critique my build

in Ranger

Demus.4218

I used to, and probably still would if I was running axe/dagger instead of WH. Its nice to have the extra dodges without the evade on that weapon set. Which is the other thing, its only useful half the time and the real heavy hitting strait damage comes from the sword and pet anyway, at least roaming. I like to switch to honed axes for zering still.

Critique my build

in Ranger

Aevis.4632

After a few days of playing this build I wanna say that while it is fun and I haven’t lost a 1v1 yet, I feel like I am not applying enough condition. Or maybe it’s just they aren’t lasting very long? Anyone can help me out because I noticed I only get up to like 11 stacks of bleed then it goes away pretty fast. Also maybe I’m not using the trap correctly? What I have been doing is trying to place the traps on top of the target and I don’t really hit them with it a lot of the times.

Critique my build

in Ranger

Cufufalating.8479

Honestly against someone in a decent build getting above 11 stacks of bleeding for a sustained time isnt going to happen (unless perhaps you’re a necro). Its well known that while rangers make strong condition builds you cant condition burst quite like a necro or engi can.

With trap placement it really depends. Against melee opponents I most often place them on myself or infront of me, simply because I know they will have to walk into them then, and it means either they will walk in, trigger the traps and then back out (all the while shooting them with SB) which buys you a good 4-5 seconds of free damage, or they will come in and not back out and take the full pulses from the flame/frost traps which is fine by me too.

Against ranged opponents (especially mesmers.. slippery little kittens) it can be harder since you cant guarentee where they will be and clones trigger them, etc, so you need to then resort to throwing them straight onto them. You’ll get the hang of it.

Gunnar’s Hold

Critique my build

in Ranger

Demus.4218

The key to condition damage is to get as many types of condition on your opponent as you can. Conditions get cleansed by type, not stack or time, so the more types of conditions on someone the more damage you’re going to do. Don’t just go for bleeds, cycle through. Try and space out your three fire casts with one or two different conditions in between.

Also, right now condition is a secondary stat for you. You could throw in some other dire armor and bump it up to 1400 or so.

Critique my build

in Ranger

Aevis.4632

Quick question, since my crit rate with this build isn’t very good, would it be a waste to buy a sigil of tormenting? Or should I get a sigil or accuracy and a tormenting one to boost my crit rate to apply torment?

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRAsf3YjAVx11VuVo2Bi2DNZeMxewfH9IXhRVyoqA-jUCBINDimCIQUDg0Bw5RFRjtaqIasKZER1qbY2zFRrWIgHzBA-w

1. Change of accessories, the ascended version that I put up there is easy to get (if you spend a little time doing fractals, you will get what you need).
2. Off hand training son!
3. I suggest to test your survivability using Empathic Bond vs Bark Skin, get into a number of 1 vs 1 or 5 vs 5 and see how it goes. I personally prefer Bark Skin as it overall allows me to survive longer, you can always run signet of renewal and drop a trap for that matter. If this doesn’t seem straight forward for you, shake your fist up in the air and yell WHY ANet!

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

Critique my build

in Ranger

Aevis.4632

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRAsf3YjAVx11VuVo2Bi2DNZeMxewfH9IXhRVyoqA-jUCBINDimCIQUDg0Bw5RFRjtaqIasKZER1qbY2zFRrWIgHzBA-w

1. Change of accessories, the ascended version that I put up there is easy to get (if you spend a little time doing fractals, you will get what you need).
2. Off hand training son!
3. I suggest to test your survivability using Empathic Bond vs Bark Skin, get into a number of 1 vs 1 or 5 vs 5 and see how it goes. I personally prefer Bark Skin as it overall allows me to survive longer, you can always run signet of renewal and drop a trap for that matter. If this doesn’t seem straight forward for you, shake your fist up in the air and yell WHY ANet!

That is a lot more condi dmg and a little more crit rate but is 345 healing power even enough for this regen condi build? Seems a little low to me

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: Samis.1750

Samis.1750

What about Sharpened Edges (Skirmishing II) to allow you to stack bleeds on crit?

You have 28% base crit and get another 20% on weapon swap – which you should be doing all the time with Offhand training and Geomancy Sigils.

I run all Apothecary/Settler’s (0-0-30-30-10) for perma swiftness/regen from guard. My damage is lacking. If I was running a trap/rabid type build I would add Sharpened Edges – constantly weapon swap to get the fury and Geomancy Sigil bleeds. You could even drop a trap slot Signet of the Hunt, or equip one or more of warhorn (birds can crit) or use Rampage as One (fury, swiftness and stability).

Tarnished Coast

Critique my build

in Ranger

Aevis.4632

Just wanted to bring this up but has anyone tried sword and offhand axe with this kind of build? I’ve been trying it out and I have had some interesting things happen. For example a 1v1 with a thief who knew in put traps under my feet, but then I used path of scars and pulled him into the traps when he was staying away from me.

Critique my build

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

@Aevis:
You can swap food to increase your healing power since the condi damage is over 1200, your bleeds will do over 100 ticks per damage and your burns will do over 700 and that is gold. If you want more healing power, buy either kralkachocolate bars or bowl of safron mango ice cream which will give you up to 500 healing power. There are other options which will give you around 445 healing power plus either condi damage or vitality… etc.

@Samis:
That could work well as long as he allows his build to shift a little into Marksmanship, but I am not sure it would work well to sacrifice 10 points that way with all the traps he already has.

@Aevis: that is an interesting maneuver but you really need to practice your face off to be consistent with path of scars, plus even with off hand training the range isn’t attractive enough to make it worth while in 1 vs 1 fights. I would say if you are in a group or in a zerg, you can throw path of scars into a blob and pull all of them into your traps, I find that it works better…. or into your allies swords yum!

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z