December 14 Patch Notes

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

What about spirits?

Still useless.

Yea i’m still wondering why they’ve not touched Spirits, which are obviously the most disappointing thing with Rangers right now, and why an entire Line is basically unused.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: junglewolf.3957

junglewolf.3957

seriously, spirits should be like a warriors banner or the similar utilities other classes have that cannot be killed. Or at-least make the killer suffer from long conditions that makes him lose above average hp.

grunt with me if you are a yak.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Cakoluchiam.6901

Cakoluchiam.6901

I’m finding it funnier that they said the Warrior should do less damage then Ranger at range.

Yeah, zero bullet points on the warrior’s guns had me fuming pretty hard.

What I really want is for Longbow to get an additional damage boost at 1200-1500 range (currently only has boosts at 500 & 1000 range, or rather nerfs at less than that—183dps vs. warriors’ 356dps, which might be made-up-for if pets attacked as fast as their attack cooldowns say they should).

Gryphonix – 80 Ranger, Blackgate [BBG][EC][FS]

(edited by Cakoluchiam.6901)

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

still no fix for those obstructed bugs with our bows…..

now our shots will hit 50% of the time instead of 10%

Y 50%?

obstruction is most likely still present but arrow speed is faster now.

missing from the patch notes…

obstructed warning text speed increased by 30% to match new arrow velocity.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

• Ranger
    • The ranger class combines its own innate abilities with the skills of their pets. We’ve balanced the class around the idea that you always have a pet with you to aid in any fight. The fact that the ranger can have multiple pets allows them to combine their pets in ways that most impact the current fight. We want the Ranger to have some of the evasion enjoyed by the Thief, as well as the mobility other classes employ. The class is able to deal physical or condition damage, and it can do this in melee or at range.

… and yet still no fix for the fact that ranger pets die instantly in dungeons, can’t attack from keep walls in WvW, and take 60s to respawn -AFTER- you’ve switched them out, regardless of how long they’ve been dead. Excellent.

Yea, being a ranger is tough if you’re not managing your pet well, but it’s really not that big of an issue.

Also, if you’re on a wall, pull out pets that buff with F2. You may not be able to hit enemies with your pet, but you can get might x 5, fury, protection, or regen boons with the right pet out.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

1. If your pets are dying instantly in dungeons then you are using the wrong pets or not controlling them well.
2. You can’t attack and damage walls in WvW either (without seige) so why should your pet be able to?
3. If you let your pet die or stay dead for a long time, then that is your mistake. You can avoid the 60 second timer most of the time.

I have to agree with what Bastionhawk is saying here. I’m an avid Dungeon runner myself and ran many dungeons while leveling my Ranger in Explorer mode.

I have yet to understand HOW it is people’s pets are dying so much? Just swap them when they are low HP, or call them when appropriate.

To be fair, I can see how pets would die easily against Subject Alpha, Giganticus Lupicus, and and the Fractals ice boss, but I still do not have complaints beyond those. Bears for one are quite bulky in my opinion with 4000 vitality, invulnerability, and swapping every 15 seconds. I’m sure those pets would be useful for those situations.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: moekhajavi.3540

moekhajavi.3540

you guys are a bummer…still complaining…even after the patch… you guys aren’t contributing to anything being perfect so stop expecting it. Make your own then, you make an online game when you guys cant even fathom how they made even this site for this game.

poof and I’m gone…

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Cakoluchiam.6901

1. If your pets are dying instantly in dungeons then you are using the wrong pets or not controlling them well.
2. You can’t attack and damage walls in WvW either (without seige) so why should your pet be able to?
3. If you let your pet die or stay dead for a long time, then that is your mistake. You can avoid the 60 second timer most of the time.

I have to agree with what Bastionhawk is saying here. I’m an avid Dungeon runner myself and ran many dungeons while leveling my Ranger in Explorer mode.

I have yet to understand HOW it is people’s pets are dying so much? Just swap them when they are low HP, or call them when appropriate.

To be fair, I can see how pets would die easily against Subject Alpha, Giganticus Lupicus, and and the Fractals ice boss, but I still do not have complaints beyond those. Bears for one are quite bulky in my opinion with 4000 vitality, invulnerability, and swapping every 15 seconds. I’m sure those pets would be useful for those situations.

Yeah, actually, I don’t personally have much problem with my pets dying in dungeons (except in the situations you mention above), but I think that’s mainly because I switched all my pets to Spiders and Devouerers. I hear a lot of complaints about pets’ survivability, but I suspect most of the people are complaining about melee pets, which I’ve just refused to use.

Maybe now that melee pets can actually hit on the run I might consider switching back and seeing how they fare.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Idolicious.6091

Idolicious.6091

Using a sword still roots you in place…sigh

Not sure why we have to put up with that when no other class/weapon combo does that.

Please fix.

uhhh that’s not even a problem, take it off auto attack.

uhhh disabling auto-attack to bypass a broken mechanic is not a solution or a fix. it’s a bandaid.

edit: said bug, but could just be broken and/or stupid mechanic.

(edited by Idolicious.6091)

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Cakoluchiam.6901

Using a sword still roots you in place…sigh

Not sure why we have to put up with that when no other class/weapon combo does that.

Please fix.

uhhh disabling auto-attack to bypass a bug is not a solution or a fix. it’s a bandaid.

It isn’t even that; you still get rooted even when attacking with auto-attack off; it’s just that now you “choose” when to get rooted.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Idolicious.6091

It isn’t even that; you still get rooted even when attacking with auto-attack off; it’s just that now you “choose” when to get rooted.

Yeah, for sure. It doesn’t really help much. You still can’t dodge or move during the combo hits, because of animation lock.

Again, this is something no other class/weapon combo has issues with. So…WHY?

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Division.9618

Division.9618

No it wasn’t. it still locks you from dodging.

On the bright side though, apparently the final attack has a massive AOE now. I don’t think that was intentional.

As for everyone else, it is still possible to dodge quickly from it. You just have to manually interrupt the skill with esc. It’s annoying, but if you really want to use a sword there you go.

(edited by Moderator)

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Idolicious.6091

No it wasn’t. it still locks you from dodging.

On the bright side though, apparently the final attack has a massive AOE now. I don’t think that was intentional.

As for everyone else, it is still possible to dodge quickly from it. You just have to manually interrupt the skill with esc. It’s annoying, but if you really want to use a sword there you go.

Confirmed, animation lock still present. /sigh

Pressing ESC to interrupt your own autoattack still waits until the current strike (has cast bar) finishes, too…so I wouldn’t exactly call that a reliable method for quick dodging with a sword, heh.

Also FYI, 3rd hit from sword auto always had an AoE. Can hit targets behind you too, just like a Warrior’s 3rd hit from their hammer auto. Makes sense considering the animations. Animation lock? Doesn’t make sense.

(edited by Idolicious.6091)

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

looks like medic ranger will be the new ranger FOTM

Wasn’t it already?

And my favorite note in the patch

•Superior Rune of Lyssa: This item now applies 5 seconds of Protection and Retaliation while on a competitive PvP map. The item’s internal cooldown has been fixed to allow rune effects to occur every 10 seconds

well that and melee pets and longbow arrow speed…..

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Here’s my problems on a ranger: can’t see thief, 3-4 hits and I’m downed, still can’t see him, bang finished. Even if I can momentarily see him, I have one knock back then he can stealth dance all over me and as we don’t really have any aoe’s except long cool down barrage which takes forever to cast it’s pretty much all over.

Second problem- pets and wvw don’t mix. As the designers seem to think we ‘should always have a pet’ to do damage then they need to sort out instant deaths for pets in wvw (no matter how good your pet control is, it will run into and die from the massive amounts of aoe), which severely gimps our dps and general damage output- we’re supposed to have these pets but frankly it’s got to the stage where I’ve stopped thinking about my pet in any large group situation as apart from a few seconds it’s generally dead and I’m waiting on the cooldown to bring another one out.

Can’t help at hitting things either from walls or to walls- other classes don’t get gimped damage there, but we do as pets are doing 0. before someone rolls out the ‘change your pet to suit and get buffs’ every other class can get buffs without having to swop all sorts of stuff around in the middle of the fight, and even if your on the wall your pet is so stupid it will stand in front of you when you stop moving and still die!

Arrow speed faster=whoopie….now I will miss slightly less often.
Melee pets doing whatever- not a factor in 80% of wvw, might be a small help in small fights but as soon as the aoe is up it’s all over for your pet.
Others got boosts to skills and damage whilst ranger skills didn’t- no reduced cooldowns, no quicker firing rate for longbow. Still as slow as a slug compared to other classes that can speed boost themselves and making thiefs faster is just crazy- now they can get away from us in perma stealth even faster yippee!
Not excited by the changes to my preferred class, whilst thiefs will still tempt me to quit the game.
I’m convinced the devs don’t actually play the classes at all, and certainly not in any mass pvp environment..MORE might duration for eles when they can stack 25 stacks on a d/d build? Faster thiefs that can 3-4 hit you in a second or less that you have no chance of getting away from (turn your back and bang backstab 8k) and that you cannot see?
Ranger seriously need a rethink and some decent spike skills added so that they have some chance of killing things in wvw where players ignore pets as an irrelevance (it’s usually dead, crippled, blinded, stunned, bleeding or otherwise out of action),

How about a skill that activates when your pet dies, like vengeance, so that you get a 15 second boost to your damage by 50% to take into account the fact that ‘we should always have a pet to do half the damage output’. At least then we wouldn’t feel like we’re throwing toothpicks at people who are throwing mountains at us.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Mimmik.2651

Mimmik.2651

Rangers feel broken, cry..rangers get buffs, cry..seriously how can some of you not be happy with these changes?? Yes we still have problems, but they are being worked on still..chillax and enjoy our new toys for awhile

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Cakoluchiam.6901

Pets dying in WvW is definitely a control issue. I’m not even full rare geared let alone exotics and my pets almost never die in WvW. I highly recommend ranged pets if you have a problem with your melee pets running into AOEs.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Cakoluchiam.6901

Also, confirmed: Arrows can still be sidestepped even at <900 range.

Edit: Make that <600 range.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Pets dying in WvW is definitely a control issue. I’m not even full rare geared let alone exotics and my pets almost never die in WvW. I highly recommend ranged pets if you have a problem with your melee pets running into AOEs.

Your Gear doesn’t effect your Pets stats at all.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

It wasn’t an overwhelming patch day but it was a step in the right direction. I appreciate the effort. Hopefully the next large patch (in Jan?) will focus on more Ranger buffs rather than just “across the board” buffs.

PS: I FEEL SO FAST!

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: CHunterX.4083

CHunterX.4083

Yeah, actually, I don’t personally have much problem with my pets dying in dungeons (except in the situations you mention above), but I think that’s mainly because I switched all my pets to Spiders and Devouerers. I hear a lot of complaints about pets’ survivability, but I suspect most of the people are complaining about melee pets, which I’ve just refused to use.

Maybe now that melee pets can actually hit on the run I might consider switching back and seeing how they fare.

It shouldn’t be bears, ranged pets, or nothing. That isn’t even 1/4th of the pets available. Other pets die far too quickly to be useful. Not everyone wants to be on bear patrol, and the ranged pets are ugly.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Cakoluchiam.6901

Is it just me or does the new 25% speed increase not appear to stack with Swiftness?

Edit: Yes, it empirically does not stack with Swiftness. I had a mesmer ally I was outrunning hardcore with my Signet of the Hunt. She cast swiftness on us both and suddenly we were running side-by-side.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Taym.8326

Taym.8326

Ranger

Counterattack Kick: This skill now has the same melee arc as other melee attacks.
Dart: This skill is now a leap finisher.
Swirling Strike: This skill is now a whirl finisher.
Shouts will now apply a buff to the ranger’s pet, to make the skills more visible.
Sick ’Em: Decreased the duration to 10 seconds. Increased the damage and move speed from 25% to 40%.
Search & Rescue: Increased the revive rate for this ability.
Search & Rescue: Increased pet movement speed to 25% while under the effects of this shout.
Lick Wounds: Revive rate has been increased.
Signet of the Hunt: Increased the passive movement from 10% to 25%.
Splinter Shot: This skill is no longer able to fire at enemies behind the player.
Compassion Training: Increased the heal amount from 300 to now scale as high as 350 at max level.
Nature’s Protection: Now triggers at 10% damage instead of 20%.
Expertise Training" Increased the amount of condition damage from 100 to now scale as high as 350 at max level.
Moment of Clarity: Now also increases daze and stun duration by 50%.
Beastmaster’s Bond: Now triggers at 50% instead of 25%.
Increased the velocity of arrows fired from Short Bow and Longbow skills by 30%.
Icy Screech: The White Moa activated ability now applies three seconds of chill, which the tooltip now correctly reflects.
Opening Strikes: These now work at any range.
Updated Sun Spirit’s skill fact to include the burning proc duration.
Updated Stone Spirit’s skill fact to include the protection proc duration.
Updated Storm Spirit’s skill fact to include the swiftness proc duration.
Ranger melee pets now have improved melee attacks so they can hit moving targets more easily.

Free and Paid tournaments now have a new build-locking feature. When the countdown timer completes, players will no longer be able to change weapons, armor, skills, or traits until the match is over. This will prevent players from abusing build-swapping between fights.

Lick wounds: didn’t need a buff it just needed to work, so if it actually works this may be too powerful with the downed state HP increase in sPvP.

Nature’s Protection: Dropping it down to 10% makes this skill actually look viable to take. This is a rather huge change that will also help with the missing protection that the ranger suffers from.

Expertise Training: kittenage bleeds from a lynx, still horrible.

Moment of Clarity: added stun/daze duration for our greatsword (1 sec daze/stun 30 sec cd) and our shortbow (1 sec daze/stun 25 sec cd). to be rather blunt this entire trait should be removed and/or reimagined, rangers have an insufficient amount of stuns/dazes/interupts to take advantage of this trait.

Increased Veloctiy: Haven’t noticed that much of a difference because I have not had to time to play much with it yet, but any speed increase is amazing. Maybe I won’t have to fire my stun to interupt their heals before they cast it so it might stop it!

Ranger pet attacks: It seems much better, some pets still seem to track a specific “side” of the enemy which is quite bad, but when crippled it seems like all the pets now hit 90% of the time which is a big bonus.

Build Lock: Largest nerf to rangers in this patch, it hits rangers in the mobility. Condition rangers could in the past run with warhorn in the backpack to gain movement speed out of combat as well as using sword and greatsword leaps to make it between a point fairly quick. As rangers do not have access to swiftness outside of combat without a warhorn this is a HUGE nerf. I do agree that armor, traits, and utilities should be locked but weapons should not have been among them. Personally I use a short sword so it wont be as bad for me, but this pretty much puts condi rangers with the same mobility as necro with less survivability. The largest issue I see is that non-greatsword warriors and rangers had their roaming capabilities severely nerfed whereas thieves (who were already much faster) remained untouched. I believe the developers should monitor this situation VERY closely with an option to re-appeal weapon swapping in the future.

The ranger class combines its own innate abilities with the skills of their pets. We’ve balanced the class around the idea that you always have a pet with you to aid in any fight. The fact that the ranger can have multiple pets allows them to combine their pets in ways that most impact the current fight. We want the Ranger to have some of the evasion enjoyed by the Thief, as well as the mobility other classes employ. The class is able to deal physical or condition damage, and it can do this in melee or at range.

(edited by Taym.8326)

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: imarah.7940

imarah.7940

Does the Moment of Clarity stun/daze duration increase also work with pet stuns and dazes?

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

Quantifying expertise training damage increase.

At 30 BM
Using lynx
Bleeds go from 43 to kittenage a tic or a net increase of 17 a % increase of 39%. Thats at 30 BM. (carries 4 to 8 stacks)

Using jungle spider
poison damage goes from 84 to 119 a net increase of 35 a % increase of 41%.

At 0 BM
Lynx bleed – same as at 30 BM

spider poison – Same as 30 BM

BM should add condition damage to pets not simply power/precision

COMPASSION Training
Natural healing – heals ranger for 177 in combat I used to get 166 – 133 without compassion training.

Signet of renewal no benefit on pet

Fern hound regen –
130 without
174 with
net of 44
% increase of 33%

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Lalnuir.4957

Lalnuir.4957

Is it just me or does the new 25% speed increase not appear to stack with Swiftness?

Edit: Yes, it empirically does not stack with Swiftness. I had a mesmer ally I was outrunning hardcore with my Signet of the Hunt. She cast swiftness on us both and suddenly we were running side-by-side.

Nothing stacks with swiftness. Doesn’t matter how many speed buffs you have you won’t get over +33% movement speed. The only exception I know of will be the thief + movement speed while in stealth trait now that it’s been increased to 50% over 33% but it still doesn’t stack with swiftness or thief signet.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

My autoattack is not off and i have no problems at all…
Anyway this patch is ok, that’s pretty much what i expected. Arrows speed buff was defo needed and pets seem better. Sadly no real spirits buffs tho, quite disappointing…but hey maybe the 2 ppl working on class balance lacked the time for that…who knows.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

I logged in to film some fights to determine if anything could replace my old setup used in the Pain Inverter Films.

Things I established.

1. When using my build i’m pretty much pushed into either using Cats or Birds. I still prefer birds over cats just because the damage is similar but the utility of Birds vastly out paces Cats…5 Seconds of Vigor on Swap is just to bloody good to pass up. Not to mention the constant Swiftness mid fight.

2. If you’re doing a build like mine, You’re pretty much going to be using Lightning Reflexes, you can’t drop it, i tried it.. It didn’t work great, the 11 Seconds of Vigor I get from it is again to good. Plus the added stun break.

3. I switched over to Nature’s Protection a while back after noticing the extra regen tics didn’t really help that much unless you’re using Healing Spring, So that’s a buff to me far as i’m concerned.

4. You don’t need to use Pain inverter in my build, However you pretty much are required to use 1 DPS skill, I don’t care what it is, QZ, Sharpening Stones, a Trap..Have at least 1 ability that does a good source of damage.

5. You can replace The Health Regen Signet in the build I use with the Speed Signet..You do have to kite much more though with this setup… It’d probably work best with Cats (as your birds give Speed mid fight anyway)

All in All I’ve not really changed my build much after the patch, They honestly didn’t do much in regards to our abilities… Sick Em is still pretty awful in my opinion (as you’re relying on your pet to provide the damage of your burst)….Spirits are still pretty crap…So Nothing has really changed there.

I was thinking of trying a Daze Build with Technoblade from Asura’s but decided it wasn’t worth the effort.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Haya jii san.1978

Haya jii san.1978

My fingers are still crossed that the 30% missile speed buff will actually do anything. I’m not certain of the physics, but given the wide miss margins before, it seems to me like that should still allow somebody to strafe arrows without dodging at max (1200-1500) range.

Damage is technically the same because firing speed is the same. Just more likely to hit now.

^ this !
In other words, bows’ dps remains the same, while their respective reliability increases.

PS : As for the patch in general, i personally welcome the changes although nothing mind blowing was added (excluding SoHunt). Pets and spirits are still useless. Bow dps is still questionable (not to say mediocre). General concept of the profession still feels like it’s nowhere to be found. Tanky AD ? Wannabe support ?

My 2 cents …

(edited by Haya jii san.1978)

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

Might be my honeymoon phase with Signet of the Hunt, but I’m loving all the changes so far. They’re subtle and not earth-shattering, but they can be game changing as far as your playstyle goes.

On my Thief I loved SoS not only for it’s mobility but it’s blind, and now that SoH has an equal speed boost, I feel more confident packing it for it’s pet damage increase. I’m noticing my pets are hitting a lot better than they used to, especially while kiting or chasing fleeing enemies.

Sic ’Em is alright, but I still think the CD is way too long for what we get.

Nature’s Protection is great. I think Moment of Clarity is in a better spot.

We’re getting there, across all classes. I hope to see more of this.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

after a few hours of testing, i can say that SoH, improved pet melee and increased SB projectile speed have fixed most of the ranger’s woes. these changes alone were huge. people need to understand that with increased projectile speed, the SB can now reliably stack bleeds because it misses less. less missing = more bleeds and more instant damage = more dps.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

Spent the past hour in sPvP i gotta say, I love these new changes to the bow speed!

I’m hitting people on the move now, especially those that i couldn’t hit before (like people moving up stairs and ramps).

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

after a few hours of testing, i can say that SoH, improved pet melee and increased SB projectile speed have fixed most of the ranger’s woes. these changes alone were huge. people need to understand that with increased projectile speed, the SB can now reliably stack bleeds because it misses less. less missing = more bleeds and more instant damage = more dps.

If we can get faster F2 skill reactions, I’d be set.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

like many have said this doesn’t solve all the issues and more work need to be done but IMO this was a good patch. Pets seem to be doing there job now and thanks to that i think my damage is a little higher, maybe its just me but i swear i am doing more damage. Now recently i started using one handed sword (axes are so boring to use) and i love the sword but the 1 skill rooting is a pain, that is one thing i hope they fix. More work need to be done, one handed sword, pet survivability, at least some trait on BM tree that makes pet like cats harder to kill, don’t know really well see.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvp.2758

Pvp.2758

1. on the Shortbow still needs a fix… and #4 for the Ranger needs a faster casting time….
S(KILL) Gametypes > WvW & sPVP

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

nerva.7940

i dont know, i find SB amazing now. i’ll take this SB over the pre-QZ nerf SB any day. cant hate on reliable dps.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: iitwinz.1420

iitwinz.1420

They would have to completely change the kicking skill from the #1 auto attack of the sword otherwise you will look stupid floating while doing a kick motion and hence would most likely be reported as a bug due to its awkward appearance
That’s how I believe is the only way to fix being rooted to the spot

Server: Sea of Sorrows
IGN: Recommend -lvl 80 Ranger
Guild: Professors [PROF]

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

I know that it can be argued turning off Auto-Attack on the Sword chain is not a fix, but just in case it’s been overlooked (I know I used to):

The Kick and Pounce have a decent 400+ range to them, and the animation isn’t just a quick kick, it’s a flying kick and then a pounce. It helps you control the fight more than just spamming the chain. At this point, I have to imagine that’s ANet’s design for it.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

nerva.7940

sword can be used to leap between opponents if youre skilled with it. it has 2 evades, and a leap finisher. just take it off autoattack and practice.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

I love Greatsword, but I have a hard time not using Sword/Torch/Horn after I figured out how to use it.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

They finally fixed opening strike!

Actually, this was fixed last patch, but didn’t make it to the patchnotes then. Been using it ever since in regular pve. But good they at least mentioned it this time!

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

This is a decent patch for the ranger. Anet is definitely moving towards the right path. The game has been on for only 3 months (I believe), so we need to have patience. The fixes and the buffs will come eventually.
I appreciate they have been working on pets. However a lot of issues still remain unsolved around pet mechanism.
I strongly encourage all of you rangers to stop comparing professions. We need our own class fixes before we can compare ourselves with others. My concern is still our pets. If Anet could make the pets more viable, many of our issues would slowly vanish.
Another thing that still needs some fixing is the trait tree.
Small steps!

ps. Instead of complaining, make requests to Anet about what you would like to have with solid argumentation. They do read them. Then we can just hope for the best.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Mr White.6037

Mr White.6037

This patch is a bad joke.

Pets are always useless ; our weapons and damage are still crap.

The thief is alway the best in game archaeal

The only good thing about this patch is the seal for the hunter up to speed.

All the remaining points of the patch have no visible impact on the viability of Ranger compared to other classes.

Anyway, I put my Ranger in the closet and I go reroll thief.

(edited by Mr White.6037)

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Nero.4706

Nero.4706

finally a step in the right direction. thank you Jon and fellow Anet team for this change. although there are still areas to be looked at (e.g. spirits), this is a good start.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: lethal ghost.9458

lethal ghost.9458

All though the speed buff is nice its not that great, pets still seem to miss and as soon as a few aoe’s are stacked, or a boss hits them they are nearly dead.
From anets philosophy for rangers it seems that we are going to have to rely on pets for dps. With terrible AI and no dodging pets seem more like a meat shield not something i want to rely on, i was hoping to take a route that i wouldn’t rely on my pet. This seems out the window now

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

wow, thanks Anet love this!

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyops.5894

Tyops.5894

I welcome this patch but this does just about zero to increase the number of viable builds. if anything it reduces it. You either go beastmaster or bust.

In addition the design philosophy of balancing with a pet will perpetually reduce the effectiveness of the ranger. If by design 20-30% (just guessing) of the class’s intended max DPS is tied to the AI, this produces irrecoverable issues. The AI is easy to handle in PvP, and will pretty much always be subpar in “endgame” PvE (aka. dungeons/fractals).

NSP Why bother?….

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

Still don’t really have a reason to use Longbow over Shortbow. At least Rangers are getting some attention though.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

All though the speed buff is nice its not that great, pets still seem to miss and as soon as a few aoe’s are stacked, or a boss hits them they are nearly dead.
From anets philosophy for rangers it seems that we are going to have to rely on pets for dps. With terrible AI and no dodging pets seem more like a meat shield not something i want to rely on, i was hoping to take a route that i wouldn’t rely on my pet. This seems out the window now

If only we could forgo our pets for a DPS increase to ourselves.

December 14 Patch Notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

I like the increased speed on the Signet of the Hunt, but its active ability is still awful compared to what other classes get. I mean, other classes get AoE Blindness or Lifestealing whilst we only get a whopping 50% damage increase on one autoattack from our pet. And we need 30 points in Marksman to get Signet of the Beastmaster so we too can get a pitiful increase for one autoattack.

So I’ll just keep it on passive and ignore that there’s even an active ability.

And I see Thieves are still walking around as gods in WvW, even more with their 50% stealth speed increase. So not only can’t I see them at all while they down and finish me whilst remaining fully invisible, they can even get to me faster. Nice balance… /sarcasm

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

(edited by Aveneo.2068)