Does Soulbeast threaten to disappoint?

in Ranger

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

I am either missing something entirely, or this is going to be another disappointing ranger elite spec. I REALLY hope it’s the former.

I’m baffled people still think druid was a disappointment. Not to your liking, sure, but it’s a great elite spec nontheless.

And we’re not gonna get another “boring heal spec” down the line. That’s reassuring. No?

The Druid disappointed in the way that it has about as much Ranger in it as a Guardian. ANet went out of their way to sidestep the pet. You could slap the Druid onto any other profession with only minor changes and it would work, because the Ranger did not benefit from the Druid.

In that sentiment, the Druid was actually the worst thing that could happen to the Ranger, as it allowed ANet to never address the core issues the pet has.

(edited by Wuselknusel.4082)

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I am either missing something entirely, or this is going to be another disappointing ranger elite spec. I REALLY hope it’s the former.

I’m baffled people still think druid was a disappointment. Not to your liking, sure, but it’s a great elite spec nontheless.

And we’re not gonna get another “boring heal spec” down the line. That’s reassuring. No?

The Druid disappointed in the way that it has about as much Ranger in it as a Guardian. ANet went out of their way to sidestep the pet. You could slap the Druid onto any other profession with only minor changes and it would work, because the Ranger did not benefit from the Druid.

It’s not about benefit, but about the class mechanic synergy.

For example, Berserker uses Warrior’s core mechanic: Adrenaline to function.
Reaper uses Death Shroud as its mechanic.
Chronomancer uses shatter as its mechanic.
Tempest uses Attunement overload as mechanic.
Heck, even DH has some mechanic related to their Virtues which are exclusive to them.

For Druid, it’s not about pet mechanic or spirit or anything related to ranger.
It’s about attaching a brand new class mechanic on another class – > attaching a new bar and new transformation to a class.

Literally any class can get Druid and it’d work fine because there’s nothing about Druid that synergize with core ranger mechanic. It’s like a new class being forcefully attached to an existing class.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

in Ranger

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

It’s not about benefit, but about the class mechanic synergy.

For example, Berserker uses Warrior’s core mechanic: Adrenaline to function.
Reaper uses Death Shroud as its mechanic.
Chronomancer uses shatter as its mechanic.
Tempest uses Attunement overload as mechanic.

For Druid, it’s not about pet mechanic or spirit or anything related to ranger.
It’s about attaching a brand new class mechanic on another class – > attaching a new bar and new transformation to a class.

Literally any class can get Druid and it’d work fine because there’s nothing about Druid that synergize with core ranger mechanic. It’s like a new class being forcefully attached to an existing class.

Exactly, and in that the Druid is actually the worst thing that could’ve happened to the Ranger, as it allowed ANet to completely ignore the core Ranger and the issues the pet has.

(edited by Wuselknusel.4082)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Druid being simply “attached” to ranger wasn’t too bad at the beginning, but after the most recent balance change its become even more apparent how distant Druid is from core ranger seeing as how it barely got anything good from the patch.

Tbh, as much as I absolutely love Druid, they need to go through it and make it synergies more with base ranger. If they did that I think it’d be fine that the mechanic is just sorta “attached”, the problem is that it’s “attached” on AND doesn’t synergies

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

Soulbeast is actually going to be a dps increase over having your pet out in PvP. Pets are generally used for their burst rotation and then swapped. In between their burst and pet cooldown is a time that they rarely hit a moving target. Even with pets like Electric Wyvern, which leap on their auto attack, they will still struggle to catch targets that are constantly leaping and moving around.

Basically, Soulbeast will be used with the pet out to do a burst rotation, enter Beastmode to use the f3 skills, leave Beastmode, swap pets, second pet burst rotation, and then enter Beastmode again… Rinse and repeat.

So, yes. Staying in Beastmode 100% of the time will result in a dps loss vs. none stationary targets. However, playing around Beastmode intelligently, using pet bursts with your new skills, will open up new damage rotations and additional combos.

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

My main concern is that its going to be heavily “requested” for nerfs simply because people wont know how to deal with the potential options it may present. Black Bear’s Endure Pain and other bunkering strats becoming prevalent would also get people whining about “too much sustain!!1”. =/

Can you imagine how heads would explode if “bearbow pew pew” becomes “meta”?

Now I just need to go take a long shower for using the phrase =P

I actually think it will, even for WvW blobs.

MMS Black Bear + Owl is 15s of power damage invuln, great cleanses, massive engage/disengage, a second heal, and roughly 12s of unblockable piercing attacks from 1800 range with longbow with great boon sharing and condition cleansing if all the traits work as they suggest. It’s basically the best you can do against guardians. This makes pin-sniping trivially easy and makes for a VERY tanky backline that if engaged on can pretty much just tank through the damage and fix a lot of the condition cleanse issues a lot of other backline has.

There’s some serious power in this spec. I think people are too fixated on the loss of meta BM bunker and the low damage coefficients on the BMode skills to really recognize the gains in utility this has.

It might not be a super aggressive PvE DPS spec – druids will probably still be better for organized raids – but to say the very least, it looks kitten ed strong for the PvP formats.

in Ranger

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

I stand by what i said many years ago. we need a mace or hammer weapon akin to bunny Thumper build that allows us to cc enemy so pets can consistently hit.

Only way it works.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I stand by what i said many years ago. we need a mace or hammer weapon akin to bunny Thumper build that allows us to cc enemy so pets can consistently hit.

Only way it works.

Aaawwww Yisssss! Next eSpec.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: BadSanta.6527

BadSanta.6527

well for me the only fear that i have is animatoin wise since most of the class got this epix animations and so far sb dosent seems that “beasty” animation when mereg

in Ranger

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

My main concern is that its going to be heavily “requested” for nerfs simply because people wont know how to deal with the potential options it may present. Black Bear’s Endure Pain and other bunkering strats becoming prevalent would also get people whining about “too much sustain!!1”. =/

MMS Black Bear + Owl is 15s of power damage invuln, great cleanses, massive engage/disengage, a second heal, and roughly 12s of unblockable piercing attacks from 1800 range with longbow with great boon sharing and condition cleansing if all the traits work as they suggest. It’s basically the best you can do against guardians. This makes pin-sniping trivially easy and makes for a VERY tanky backline that if engaged on can pretty much just tank through the damage and fix a lot of the condition cleanse issues a lot of other backline has.

There’s some serious power in this spec. I think people are too fixated on the loss of meta BM bunker and the low damage coefficients on the BMode skills to really recognize the gains in utility this has.

It might not be a super aggressive PvE DPS spec – druids will probably still be better for organized raids – but to say the very least, it looks kitten ed strong for the PvP formats.

Out of curiosity, why is it that everyone seems to be saying Owl over any of the other birds? I’m guessing it’s something to do with the classification or F3 or extra stats or something but I have no clue of the details.

I mean, I’d be picking it because my norn ranger has always felt a deep connection to the sacrifice Owl made… but I should probably have some other reason in case the decision gets challenged by a nosy passer by/would-be party member =P

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Out of curiosity, why is it that everyone seems to be saying Owl over any of the other birds? I’m guessing it’s something to do with the classification or F3 or extra stats or something but I have no clue of the details.

I mean, I’d be picking it because my norn ranger has always felt a deep connection to the sacrifice Owl made… but I should probably have some other reason in case the decision gets challenged by a nosy passer by/would-be party member =P

yeap you are right. As somebody said “all wvw players are actually RP players” or something like that.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Owl gets the Spiritual Reprieve skill and it’s normal F2 is actually pretty good as well.