Druid WvW build question

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

Posted by: Zsoak.5409

Zsoak.5409

Hi,

Recently I’m trying to get into WvW with my druid with this build.
It’s basically a shoutheal Staff/LB build with Trooper runes, I went all-in with healing power and mostly defensive stats (mix of Cleric and Magi gear).

For solo roaming my damage is pretty low (it takes a while to clear a camp for example), but at least I’m able to outlive most 1v1’s, it’s rare when I got bursted down.
For small-scale skirmishes I feel like this build is doing great, because I don’t have to worry about my damage there and it feels like I’m contributing a lot of heals and support to the party.

I have two questions though – the first is a general one about the build: are there any changes I should make to be more effective while keeping the same supportive playstyle? Regarding anything (gear stats, traits, sigils etc.)

The second is for blob fights / big zergs. As I read the general consensus about rangers is that we’re not needed and/or not very welcomed in big scale fights. I was even kicked from a zerg once, right after joining because the commander did not want any rangers (calling us “rallybots”).
My other zerg experiences were nice though, I didn’t feel squishy at all and did a lot of heals (e.g. helping to mitigate siege damage etc).
So why is this opinion about rangers afterall? Should I feel bad when joining zergs and/or should I just stick to roaming and small-scale fights?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

Posted by: RangerThings.9810

RangerThings.9810

This build looks great for small-scale support.

If you haven’t already, work on getting unlocking Provisions Master and try Rune of Durability. Better stats, protection/regen/resistance proc, and +15% boon duration. Add Druidic Clarity to replace the condi cleanse and add a stun break.

Do a more offensive build for zerg surfing. Don’t even squad up. Just pick off the edges and reset. Then solo roam the rest of the time.

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

Posted by: Zsoak.5409

Zsoak.5409

Thanks for the advices!

I will definitely check up on Durability runes then – the choice for Trooper runes was exactly because I took Cultivated Synergy instead of Druidic Clarity for more heals, but then I was lacking condi cleanse so yeah :) But Druidic Clarity seems really nice as well so I’ll try to switch this up.

I think I have “Protect Me!” for stun break, is this sufficient or should I grab something else too?

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

Posted by: Jen Tull.5867

Jen Tull.5867

Hey there zsoak, your build sounds great, I wonder if you could give a little bit more info about gear and runes etc.. I am very new but really enjoy WvW. The problem is it’s such a lot of info to take on I feel lost with so many choices. Could you give me a break down of the gear you use, the runes etc..

I haven’t spent anything thing on gear at all so I have quite a few ways to get gear etc.. but I want to hold off until I was more sure of how to spend the currency.

Thank you in advance.

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Invigorating bond is crap, the heal is mediocre and it ends up being wasted the majority of the time because you should be actively using your f2 and not saving it for a heal. Swap it to protective ward.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

The second is for blob fights / big zergs. As I read the general consensus about rangers is that we’re not needed and/or not very welcomed in big scale fights. I was even kicked from a zerg once, right after joining because the commander did not want any rangers (calling us “rallybots”).

My other zerg experiences were nice though, I didn’t feel squishy at all and did a lot of heals (e.g. helping to mitigate siege damage etc). So why is this opinion about rangers afterall? Should I feel bad when joining zergs and/or should I just stick to roaming and small-scale fights?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/commanders-kicking-Rangers-and-Thief

To point out the best answer to that question from the thread:

Rangers and thieves aren’t really good classes to bring for Zerging. (theyr’e great for roaming though. You should try it!) If you were to bring a power rev to a PvE raid, you’d be laughed out of the squad, unless the squad decided they wanted to kitten themselves by accepting you.

In WvW, zerg compositions have a set meta, with subsets in that meta. Guardians, support eles, condition necros, and revenants are high valued classes. Guardians provide stab, protections, and moderate damage. Support eles provide cc, consistent healing, and great condi clear. Damage eles (usually a hybrid build these days) provide great damage potential. Necros strip boons and deal great condition damage. Revenants provide resistance.

In comparison to all those useful classes, why would I want a thief? Thieves have little defense against bombs that will always at least clip you, since no commander and no person dodges perfectly. Thieves have no team support and deal very little multi-target damage at range. They’re there to flank zerglings that get too far from tag, not fight with the zerg.

Ranger is considered the “beginner” class. The majority of people new to mmos or new to guild wars will generally pick a warrior, ele, or ranger, as those are class archetypes shared among mmos. A ranger druid has to be good at healing and have a set build specifically tailored to surviving at close range to work in a zerg, and most rangers do not have that.

So why kick you from squad? If you are playing a “less useful” class, most commanders don’t want to waste their stab composition on trying to give you boons when you’re probably going to be the first to die, even with stab.

Is it prejudiced? Yeah. Will you have to work hard to prove yourself? Yeah. Can you fix the problem? Yeah.

Your solutions

• Join a WvW guild and tailor your ranger/thief build to fit in with their needs
  • Swap classes
PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

RangerThings.9810

I think I have “Protect Me!” for stun break, is this sufficient or should I grab something else too?

I would have at least 2 stun breaks. I recommend playing with Quickening Zephyr over SoS if you don’t want to give up Cultivated Synergy. With your regen, heals, damage reduction, SOS doesn’t seem needed. QZ can be used defensively and offensively, I love it.

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Since we lack stability, I would take as many stun breakers as possible. And since I also try to take as much condi removal as possible, I always take DC.

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Honestly in the condition meta I’ve switched out Durability for Trooper. A personal choice, but its just one of the many condition removals (along with traits, sigils and the signet) I’ve been forced into taking to deal with cancer such as condition mesmers.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

Posted by: GUFF.5692

GUFF.5692

Depends on match up but when I am roaming against mainly power based opponents I go with: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBlYD7kSFoWQsiFwhFgrFs0JYO/tAQh7pFEqWYwr0Y6OtkVkG-TVCGQBRUJIAuoCEU5H9UpYfqDYPVUS3+DrT3TCeSBBAQA+tvx38Nf7bf7bH9oH9oH9o9df7bf7bfTKgylaB-w

Against condi similar to above except with Wilderness survival Traitline and Emphatic Bond along with possibly swapping SotW with SoR.

The full food/sigil life leech load out really helps against heavily armored targets and give you a nice a sustain boost without stacking healing power. Especially since life leach procs Live Vicariously which gives you a double whammy of damage and boosted healing leach + LV proc (I have tested this). I am pretty sure life leach also gives you more AF regen since it counts as damage and healing (not tested or recorded). It sure feels that way because along with perma regen I am always at full AF after cool down ends.

Sarhaz [CDS]

I was a ranger before shortbow had 1200m range AND after it didn’t…

Druid WvW build question

in Ranger

RangerThings.9810

Aye, to add to what GUFF said, Wilderness Knowledge gives you 2 condi removal per WS skill. I run it with Troll Urgent, QZ, Entangle for 6 condi removal plus DC for another 13 on my hybrid shout/zerk solo build.

OP, your build lacks condi cleanse, another reason to try DC at least.