Druid concept art reveal

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Mmmmm. Where’s their pet? Unless that hulking mass in the background is something, I spy no pet in their art.

Well, I mean you said it yourself. It’s a pet. As to what kind? Wyvern/Raptor/Trex dino pet things ala Jurassic Park pleeeeeeaaaaaaase? Plz plz plz plz plz plz…

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I really hope Staff is a powerful sweeping cleaving melee weapon loaded with blast finishers. Two would be perfect.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

In b4 “druid is so bad I’m quitting”

…can I have your stuff?

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Looks a bit like an oakheart, which would be cool. Druid might have an entirely unique pet selection for all we know.

If it does turn out to be a melee staff I’d be fine with that, though I am still hoping for a ranged caster set up.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Mirage.6754

Mirage.6754

Am I the only one seeing the Druid transforming her left arm (by using her right-hand/staff to do it) into a treant/root arm?
Body-part shapeshifting?

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Isn’t that creature on the right the head of the thing that was chasing a player during one of the HoT teaser videos? It was like a cross between a reptile and a feline. It chases a player until they leap off a ledge and glide into the mursaat city.

Ghost Yak

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

Am I the only one seeing the Druid transforming her left arm (by using her right-hand/staff to do it) into a treant/root arm?
Body-part shapeshifting?

And after enough practice you become a harvesting node with guaranteed cinnamon sticks.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

Body-part shapeshifting?

Looks like her hair to me.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Mirage.6754

Mirage.6754

Body-part shapeshifting?

Looks like her hair to me.

I guess it does, too! But it doesn’t look much like Sylvari hair, as opposed to the leaves directly on top of her head…! I can hope ^^

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Medens.4960

Medens.4960

So I went to Wikipedia to search for druid.
Turns out they were famous for making sacrifices.

It said: “These men predict the future by observing the flight and calls of birds and by the sacrifice of holy animals: all orders of society are in their power… and in very important matters they prepare a human victim, plunging a dagger into his chest; by observing the way his limbs convulse as he falls and the gushing of his blood, they are able to read the future.”

Imagine sacrificing your pet and your foes o.O

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I also see the shadow thing in the background… could mean there might be new pets for druid/ranger with HoT?….

Kima & Co

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

So I went to Wikipedia to search for druid.
Turns out they were famous for making sacrifices.

It said: “These men predict the future by observing the flight and calls of birds and by the sacrifice of holy animals: all orders of society are in their power… and in very important matters they prepare a human victim, plunging a dagger into his chest; by observing the way his limbs convulse as he falls and the gushing of his blood, they are able to read the future.”

In real life, yes they did perform sacrifices for certain rituals, but in almost all fantasy the generic Druid wouldn’t dream of sacrificing an animal for anything but the most dire of circumstances so I don’t see us actually doing that.

That being said if we get the bad kitten Druid that performs ritualistic sacrifices I’d be kittening ecstatic.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

At this point, why are we letting ourselves even debate what it could be?

Wednesday/Thursday blogs should drop, and Friday is the reveal. Time to buy a ton of alcohol to drink in either celebration or to forget an awful reveal, or make a drinking game and take a drink (not a shot, you might die) every time the devs look displeased to be talking about ranger, sigh, or have no idea what they are talking about in regards to Ranger (“most dangerous game looks really strong, it will definitely need toning down, hue hue hue”).

Agreed, everybody just calm down and wait for Wednesday since we at least know that Ranger wasn’t removed from the game LOL. Last prediction: Aspects will be seasonal and Druids will be walking Nature Rituals that pulse effects/environmental changes in a ~1200 range, which would very easily change the “pvp landscape”.

I like the way that sounds a lot

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Isn’t that already happening in boss or bigger scale fights?

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

…can I have your stuff?

Nothing can be as bad as Dragon Hunter folks, absolutely nothing…

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

…can I have your stuff?

I think Dragon Hunter is cool. It might not be great, but I think the concept is nice.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Amineo.8951

…can I have your stuff?

I think Dragon Hunter is cool. It might not be great, but I think the concept is nice.

It should have been Sentinel instead of Dragon Hunter, that would’ve fit the class more, with wells instead of traps that give buffs to allies and condis to ennemies, improved virtues and CC Longbow skills…

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

here’s what I suspect:

If you choose Druid, your Pet gets replaced by one of those tree-thingies, they’ll get their own window for customizing like the normal pets. There’ll probably be 3+ trees to choose from.

Pet-swapping (F4) gets replaced by a powerful skill for the new pet.

They’ll be stronger than the normal pets, cuz there’s no more swapping. I guess there’ll be a healer tree, a power tree and a condition-tree or sth. like that.

Maybe there will also be an additional control-option, because rangers still have F5 unused. Could be an additional skill for the tree, or maybe a command to make them stay at a point – no leash range maybe? Maybe they even contest points now. Maybe there’s one tree with which you can swap places after a decent CD (90 seconds maybe).

It could be possible that the trees have stats depending on your own, so you can costumize the trees a bit more. I don’t think so though, cuz of balancing-concerns.

Staff could be similar to Necro-Staff: AoE ranged mixed Power/Condition DMG. Maybe some healing-spell with a water-field, probably some poison, bleed and stuff like that.

(edited by PowerBottom.5796)

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

…can I have your stuff?

It should have been Sentinel instead of Dragon Hunter, that would’ve fit the class more, with wells instead of traps that give buffs to allies and condis to ennemies, improved virtues and CC Longbow skills…

Yeah, maybe if it was a sentinel, but it’s not, this is a sort of inquisitor version of guardian. This isn’t the guy who protects everyone, this is the guy who hunts down evil and puts an end to it, it’s selfish and it’s there to put an end to the target, not to help allies.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

…can I have your stuff?

afaik elite specs were supposed to be sideways of the main class not straight upgrade :P

although I dunno if the actuall reveal will be on wednesday – iirc the same guy was responsible for druid as was for scrapper and scrapper was “officially” revealed at thursday afternoon….. actually we may even not get anything before twitchcon with all reveal done at event…..

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

…can I have your stuff?

Yeah, maybe if it was a sentinel, but it’s not, this is a sort of inquisitor version of guardian. This isn’t the guy who protects everyone, this is the guy who hunts down evil and puts an end to it, it’s selfish and it’s there to put an end to the target, not to help allies.

Yeah see, that lore/concept is cool to me. Guardians are like the light and virtuous and are hunting down and slaying the evil or unrighteous.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Medens.4960

Medens.4960

…can I have your stuff?

afaik elite specs were supposed to be sideways of the main class not straight upgrade :P

although I dunno if the actuall reveal will be on wednesday – iirc the same guy was responsible for druid as was for scrapper and scrapper was “officially” revealed at thursday afternoon….. actually we may even not get anything before twitchcon with all reveal done at event…..

It would be frustrating a.f. if they won’t reveal anything before Friday, which is probably what’s going to happen , I’m afraid

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Nicknobreak.7543

Nicknobreak.7543

If we’re lucky and behave like good lil’ rangers we’ll get a blog post or write up detailing skills and abilities tomorrow. Otherwise Friday will be the Absolute earliest because that’s the first day of TwitchCon.

Next week seems more likely. They’ll probability announce the new talk show at TwitchCon, Guild Chat.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

• Agreed, everybody just calm down and wait for Wednesday since we at least know that Ranger wasn’t removed from the game LOL. Last prediction: Aspects will be seasonal and Druids will be walking Nature Rituals that pulse effects/environmental changes in a ~1200 range, which would very easily change the “pvp landscape”.

That would kitten off every single Herald Player because their stuff only pulses in a 600 Radius.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

• Agreed, everybody just calm down and wait for Wednesday since we at least know that Ranger wasn’t removed from the game LOL. Last prediction: Aspects will be seasonal and Druids will be walking Nature Rituals that pulse effects/environmental changes in a ~1200 range, which would very easily change the “pvp landscape”.

That would kitten off every single Herald Player because their stuff only pulses in a 600 Radius.

Well, there are no Herald players right now, only people who have played around with it at a Beta event, If the Druid performs better than the Herald at whatever playstyle they want to play, they can just play Druid. Since nobody has a Revenant character they have put time into, its a mute point really.

I just want some ground targeted staff AoE tbh with ally buffs and enemy debuffs, as well as synergistic traits.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Amineo.8951

“Wells that give buffs” are called Consecrations.

Only one Consecration gives a buff, stability, but all we wanted was something different to play, it’s obvious that the devs does not know how to make Guardian different and fix issues like Shield/Tomes/Spirit Weapons.
I main Guardian for 2 years now and needless to say I’m very disappointed with what we got: Useless Traps 4 times inferior to Thief and 7 times inferior to Ranger, even the changes made are pathetic and I hope you guys does not get the same treatment for the Druid…

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Useless Traps 4 times inferior to Thief and 7 times inferior to Ranger,

What? No.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

A Ranger and a DH working together laying traps in WvW is gonna be devastatingly good.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

Huh, I hadn’t considered a ranger dragonhunter duo. Both with trapper runes will be incredibly aggravating to fight. Gonna be great.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

my favorite teaser artwork personally

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Well spiritually, real life Druids use the Animal skin to become one with the animals.

this is where fantasy rpg get the concept of Druids shapeshifting into Animals. Because thats what the Druid priest would do, spiritually using the animal’s skin and wearing it over their body like a cloak.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

Do you have a source for that, Knighthonor? Because I can’t recall reading any myths or informative documentary pieces about the druids that said they wore animal skins to become one with animals.

The only thing druids did with animals was sacrifice them. Druids were prophets and healers and wielded magic in general. They weren’t any more focused on nature than your typical wizard.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Do you have a source for that, Knighthonor? Because I can’t recall reading any myths or informative documentary pieces about the druids that said they wore animal skins to become one with animals.

The only thing druids did with animals was sacrifice them. Druids were prophets and healers and wielded magic in general. They weren’t any more focused on nature than your typical wizard.

Druids were very much so tied to nature, most of their rituals paid very close attention to the alignment of the celestial bodies and important dates such as Equinoxs. And I’ve heard the same thing as Knighthonor.

Keep in mind the only documents we have on anything Druid related also comes from 3rd party. Druids were not too keen on sharing info with outsiders, and everything we have on them was observed, not first hand.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Well spiritually, real life Druids use the Animal skin to become one with the animals.

this is where fantasy rpg get the concept of Druids shapeshifting into Animals. Because thats what the Druid priest would do, spiritually using the animal’s skin and wearing it over their body like a cloak.

Citation needed?

The only natural affinity Druids had was the general reverence for the natural world held by they Celts and the Druids were simply the priests of those faiths and frankly that’s about the limit of what is known about them.

All this shape shifting and animal bonding stuff is things that got tacked on in fantasy novels and games.

“A druid (Irish: druí; Welsh: derwydd) was a member of the educated, professional class among the Celtic peoples of Gaul, Britain, Ireland, and possibly elsewhere during the Iron Age. The druid class included law-speakers, poets and doctors, among other learned professions, although the best known among the druids were the religious leaders.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

I am aware of that, but what you described isn’t very different than many religious groups. They weren’t any more tied to nature than any other tribal shamanistic caste you might find. In the myths the word druid was basically synonymous with sorcerer.

And I am aware most of the information comes from Roman observers and are probably heavily slanted toward demonizing them. I’d still like a source in case he’s read something I have not, but I’ve never read that they wore animal skins to become one with animals. A LOT of what we imagine when we think of druids in fantasy was fabricated fairly recently and has no basis in historical truth.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

That was my point. The very little we do know is basic stuff. There’s virtually no hard details just as there’s very little of any had details on any of the British Isle cultures prior to the Roman arrival.

Pretty much anytime someone says “Druids were/did ____” it’s something that got tacked on, most likely in the modern era.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Mmm.
Something something Samhain, yadda yadda pagan precursor to halloween costumes?
Maybe?

You know, most people look at that picture and play ‘guess the background monster’. And I’m just sitting here wondering if the grass-covered-ground rising up is a significant element of a staff casting animation, or if somebody’s just doing a solid job of not drawing feet.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

That was my point. The very little we do know is basic stuff. There’s virtually no hard details just as there’s very little of any had details on any of the British Isle cultures prior to the Roman arrival.

Pretty much anytime someone says “Druids were/did ____” it’s something that got tacked on, most likely in the modern era.

Sorry, I wasn’t responding to you. I was responding to Durzlla’s response to me and didn’t see your post until I sent mine!

I agree with you on what you said.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Sorry, I wasn’t responding to you. I was responding to Durzlla’s response to me and didn’t see your post until I sent mine!

I agree with you on what you said.

lol funny how these forums work sometimes.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

Guys that’s clearly a Quaggan as a pet.

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Screw the staff or whatever pet shaped smudge it is on the background. Look at that shoulderpad, we will have a tiny zoo on our shoulders!

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

Druid concept art reveal

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

Our elite should be “Summon Wicker Man”, accompanied with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WddjLLFxoow