Druid glyphs: need change?

in Ranger

Posted by: Alexander.6250

Alexander.6250

I was wondering if anyone in the druid community actually likes and uses the glyphs as skills. Because to me they seem extremely underwhelming and lack synergy.
I mean: how do you combine a very short-range effect with the druid’s main weapon: the staff, wich is ranged? On top of that the effects themselves seem pretty weak to me unless you need the cc (wich is awkward to use due to range). And going in Celestial avatar form only makes them worse…? On top of that they don’t have cool animations or effect either.
I personally haven’t seen any druids actually use the glyphs in Pve ….

So am I missing their usefullness somehow? Does anyone else think glyphs need a buff/change?

in Ranger

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

Glyphs are actually extremely useful, depending on your build and what your goal with that build is.

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

in Ranger

Alexander.6250

Can you tell me in what situation/build in pve they would be usefull then?

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Glyphs are very good due to low CD and flexability.

My favorite:

GoE is great, very strong stun break, CC and big damage, amazing for MOC/ remorseless builds. also condi clear when used in CA.

GoA nice condies which can be effetive for both condi and non condi builds, very low CD, while in CA will cure condis and heal.

I do think that hte nerf for seed of light significantly nerfed the glyphs trait which by proxy nerfed glyphs. I do think A.net should give us some sord of conpasation in the form of giving each glyph 1 condi removal on activation(not AOE) in addition to the seed of life effect.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

I think the only change Glyphs need is to be usable underwater. =(

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

I think the only change Glyphs need is to be usable underwater. =(

Yes, totally agree

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

It’s true that when you are ranged with a staff, you generally do not use glyphs very much. However, Druid is decently strong at range to begin with. When you opponent gets close, that is when glyphs really shine. In Fractals and Raids, druids are usually in melee range anyway to better grant GotL to nearby allies effectively with CAform 4. With my Druid, I take the glyphs of rejuvenation, equality/tides, empowerment/alignment, frostspirit/signetofthehunt, and unity for PvE.

NSPride <3

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

From a PvP perspective, the glyphs are pretty fine, except glyph of unity. Healing glyph could use a little buff.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Glyphs are pretty terrible, you only use them because of the trait procs to proc grace of the land and healing seed.

Their effects and damage are pitifully weak in PvE.

The glyph heal is decent, but healing spring with trapper’s expertise is so much better.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Oh, yeah. That’s the other change Glyphs need: Rejuvenation should also heal the Pet by default.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Can you tell me in what situation/build in pve they would be usefull then?

How about Break Bars, damage mitigation in fractals, Glyph of Empowerment, and the meta Glyph Buffer build?
Which is like 3/4 of situations I can possibly think of.

Unless you don’t specify which glyphs are useless – like Unity – then your statement will not probably be correct. For I think glyphs are reaaaally the last thing on the ranger that needs a change.

EDIT: I’m not sure how do you classify anything… But if you believe anyone forbids you to use staff in melee range than I have doubts about your suggestion overall. You are searching for problems at places where they do not exist. Literally.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

(edited by Tragic Positive.9356)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I use glyphs excessively in solo PVE. Glyph of Equality + Glyph of Tides and maybe a pet taunt will obliterate almost any break bar, making soloing champions incredibly easy.

in Ranger

Alexander.6250

Guess players do actually use them Thanks for the input.
Although everyone seems to agree glyph of unity sucks.
Still think glyh of alignment should do more condi dmg. Because I would love to use glyphs but the poison dmg on it is just so low..
Druid in general really has no love for condi builds imho

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I agree that Druid has almost no love for condi builds… But I believe that part is fine. Guardians were not supported to be condi with DH either, I believe Reapers are the same (??).

While I agree with you on this – I’m not yet sure if it is supposed to be that way.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Still think glyh of alignment should do more condi dmg. Because I would love to use glyphs but the poison dmg on it is just so low.

Alignment is a debuff Glyph. The poison damage isn’t to be counted on, its 3 stacks are there just to even out the former raw damage it had during beta, which was equal to Equality.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

HeadCrowned.6834

Alignment is decent with low cooldown cripple + weakness.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Alignment is decent with low cooldown cripple + weakness.

Which is useless in PvE since they made debuffs useless thanks to breakbars.

And no, you don’t need chill/weakness for breakbars, revenant staff 5 alone alongside a few other of the 9 other people’s rotational CC is enough to break a bar.

Glyphs were supposed to be our aoe damage utilities, but they’re far from that.

They’re melee range for some weird reason, so they can’t even be targeted on a class who’s designed around ranged weapons.

in Ranger

HeadCrowned.6834

Oh I was talking about pvp btw. What about glyph of Empowerment for PvE?

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

It’s a really weak glyph, it’s essentially a 3.75% traited damage bonus (10% for 6 seconds every 16 seconds) , about half of the 7.5% of the frost spirit which brings other benefits of its own, namely a much longer range and an optional secondary activation skill.

We only use these glyphs because ranger utilities outside the spirits are utter garbage.

I mean, what are you going to use in PvE? Shouts? Nope, utter trash. Signets? Utter trash. Quickening Zephyr? Kinda redundant with chrono perma quickness.

Just because they’re the less crappy in a sea of crap option does not make them good.

Not to speak of how our glyph elite actually managed to beat out RaO and Nature Spirit for worst elite of the game.

RaO, which is a terrible elite that doesn’t even cap might on both you and the pet without using heal as one.

And Spirit of Nature, an utterly inferior version of the warrior’s War Banner (cast time to summon, cast time for command to rez to go through, no boons to allies, utterly miserable healing after the nerf).

They really outdid themselves at giving ranger crappy utilities and elites.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

It’s a really weak glyph, it’s essentially a 3.75% traited damage bonus (10% for 6 seconds every 16 seconds) , about half of the 7.5% of the frost spirit which brings other benefits of its own, namely a much longer range and an optional secondary activation skill.

We only use these glyphs because ranger utilities outside the spirits are utter garbage.

I mean, what are you going to use in PvE? Shouts? Nope, utter trash. Signets? Utter trash. Quickening Zephyr? Kinda redundant with chrono perma quickness.

Just because they’re the less crappy in a sea of crap option does not make them good.

Not to speak of how our glyph elite actually managed to beat out RaO and Nature Spirit for worst elite of the game.

RaO, which is a terrible elite that doesn’t even cap might on both you and the pet without using heal as one.

And Spirit of Nature, an utterly inferior version of the warrior’s War Banner (cast time to summon, cast time for command to rez to go through, no boons to allies, utterly miserable healing after the nerf).

Your way of looking at our utilities is lacking. There is tons of difference between uncontrollable damage buff which can be calculated over time(like you did with spirit) and ncontrollable dps buff for a short period of time. In the hands of a good druids and team, this glyph will give 12%(when traited with GOTL) damage buff for a short piriod of time, in times where damage is most needed.

Also, our spirits when traited give boons, Nature spirit gives stability.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Your way of looking at our utilities is lacking. There is tons of difference between uncontrollable damage buff which can be calculated over time(like you did with spirit) and ncontrollable dps buff for a short period of time. In the hands of a good druids and team, this glyph will give 12%(when traited with GOTL) damage buff for a short piriod of time, in times where damage is most needed.

Wow, stability at the expense of skirmishing (quickdraw, spotter) or a 25% damge modifier in Marksmanship. Great utility, good to know I need a grandmaster in some traitline so the spirit doesn’t suck.

A 12% damage when you most need it is misleading. You will use that thing on cooldown, or the overall damage contribution from that glyph over the entire length of the fight will be far less.

A boss has an health pool that requires x amount of damage to be depleted. What matters is how much contribution a utility makes to that required number.

The way you describe glyph usage would imply that the group is not meeting a phase DPS check so you need to use the glyph suboptimally because people in your group are not DPSing properly to meet the check.

The only spirit with a worthwhile boon on the grandmaster is Earth spirit. The rest are trash. Frost spirit gives a pitiful 3 might, in a setting where might is always capped.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

WoW, stability at the expense of skirmishing (quickdraw, spotter) or a 25% damge modifier in Marksmanship. Great utility, good to know I need a grandmaster in some traitline so the spirit doesn’t suck.

A 12% damage when you most need it is misleading. You will use that thing on cooldown, or the overall damage contribution from that glyph over the entire length of the fight will be far less.

A boss has an health pool that requires x amount of damage to be depleted. What matters is how much contribution a utility makes to that required number.

The way you describe glyph usage would imply that the group is not meeting a phase DPS check so you need to use the glyph suboptimally because people in your group are not DPSing properly.

The only spirit with a worthwhile boon on the grandmaster is Earth spirit. The rest are trash. Frost spirit gives a pitiful 3 might, in a setting where might is always capped.

I didnt say you must take the trait, but you cant make false statments. Regarding your use of gyphs you are very wrong, spamming you utilities is the wrong way to, and explains alot. Not to mention that druids spends like 505 of fight in CA and you never want to activate empowerment when in CA. Your view of our utilities are very one dimentioanl and relevant mostly to raids which si small portion of pve and even smaller portion of the game as a whole.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

<snipped>

Which means:
7,5% raw damage – Frost Spirit
7,14% Crit (roughly 7,5% raw damage: Ferocity exceeds 200% crit damage) – Spotter
3,5% raw damage – Empowerment
Roughly 8% Raw and Condition damage – GotL (it doesn’t have 100% uptime)
and ability to hold 15 AoE might for 5 people with permanent Fury

is nothing worth mentioning… ?
Sir, Glyphs are fine. There are hundreds of other useless things we currently have. Auto-attacks included. Glyphs have a reliable use in both environments. And likewise – utilities are not supposed to be the go to option for every single content. You might as well sue the company because thieves do not play 6 Physical utilities, Reapers don’t go 6 shouts, all of that for all WvW, PvP and PvE at the same time etc.

And as an off-topic, Nature Magic gives your pet permanent 25 might, fury, occasional quickness, gives both your pet and you roughly 8% more DPS (which is more DPS than Steady Focus from MM in real situations since you have to dodge), and provides party support in terms of a lot additional might.
I personally dislike opinions of people who ditch a certain traitline just because the headline doesn’t say “I increase your damage”. Nature Magic has increased my realistic damage output more often than not. We finished fractals almost 20% faster then me running “Meta” thanks to me adapting into NM (not a meta group – but if we are talking about meta groups – we have been meta for a very very long time already – so those points would not be valid).

Meta is a lie. If you claim a whole category of abilities useless you have to provide data in order to prove half of the community using them wrong.

“Without data you are just another person with an opinion.”
-W. Edwards Deming

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

WoW, stability at the expense of skirmishing (quickdraw, spotter) or a 25% damge modifier in Marksmanship. Great utility, good to know I need a grandmaster in some traitline so the spirit doesn’t suck.

The way you describe glyph usage would imply that the group is not meeting a phase DPS check so you need to use the glyph suboptimally because people in your group are not DPSing properly.

I didnt say you must take the trait, but you cant make false statments. Regarding your use of gyphs you are very wrong, spamming you utilities is the wrong way to, and explains alot. Not to mention that druids spends like 505 of fight in CA and you never want to activate empowerment when in CA. Your view of our utilities are very one dimentioanl and relevant mostly to raids which si small portion of pve and even smaller portion of the game as a whole.

Who said anything about using glyphs in CA? You use them to trigger your 2nd trait in Druid traitline and proc more grace of the land buffs from the seed pop in addition to filling your astral power faster. You basically use glyphs to help you to get to CA faster with that trait.

snip

You do realize you just bunched up all other utility categories with a single glyph, right?

Spirits, spotter, GotL are entirely separate categories from glyphs that are not dependent on glyph usage to exist or be taken.

And in between serpent strike and monarch leap you shouldn’t be losing Steady Focus in raids often.

Not to mention you missed out on the 15% to YOU AND YOUR PET from Predator’s Onslaught on top of Steady Focus. Losing marksman is a pretty significant damage modifier loss.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

Who said anything about using glyphs in CA? You use them to trigger your 2nd trait in Druid traitline and proc more grace of the land buffs from the seed pop in addition to filling your astral power faster. You basically use glyphs to help you to get to CA faster with that trait.

snip

You do realize you just bunched up all other utility categories with a single glyph, right?

Spirits, spotter, GotL are entirely separate categories from glyphs that are not dependent on glyph usage to exist or be taken.

And in between serpent strike and monarch leap you shouldn’t be losing Steady Focus in raids often.

Not to mention you missed out on the 15% to YOU AND YOUR PET from Predator’s Onslaught on top of Steady Focus. Losing marksman is a pretty significant damage modifier loss.

You obiously havn’t understood my point. You saied that becuase GoE should be activated as soon as CD is over, Its not damage on deamand but rather part of a rotation, therefore, its 3.75% flat damage buff over time(at best). I saied it’s a wrong use of the glyph and should be activated when team is ready to unleash burst, it happends all the time in every boss. My comment regarding CA referes to the availability of the glyph, beacuse u spend ~50% of the time in CA and dont use the glyph while in it, it supposed to be out of CD for the right moment.

The argumnet of the CA is also true regarding your remark about Onslaught and Steady Focus buffs, beacuse you sepnd so much time in CA healing, the actual buff from this trait is much smaller, over time like 5% from steady focus and 7.5% from predetor’s(at best). lets say druid is 60% of the damage and pet is 40% so both traits will give you~13% damage buff{(5%7.5%)*0.6(15%)*0.4} (if looking at you and your pet as one unit).

Even if the druid is 10% of the outcoming damage in a raid party(and he’s not) we’r talking about an overall of ~1% damage buff for the team from Marksmanship traitline. This will put GoE in prespective for you.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

LOL

The pet is NOT remotely 40% of the damage. The DPS benchmarks DnT and rT did showed the pet at best with a cat at around 11% of our total DPS. And that was assuming full buffs on the pet, which clearly does not happen in reality.

I don’t think you grasp how bad the pet’s DPS is and how poorly they scale with ascended gear (they don’t), consumables (they don’t), and runes/sigils (they don’t). Pet’s don’t even reach the 220% crit damage bonus the player does (so 120% from ferocity), at best with BM traitline (which you don’t even take), we’re talking about a measly 30-40% crit damage bonus compared to the player’s 120% form gear.

Pets in their current iteration will NEVER be more than 20% of our DPS at best.

And perhaps it’s best that way so PvP crybabies don’t block attempts to buff the ranger’s DPS because they hate dying to a pet. They might actually buff the ranger’s weapon DPS for a change.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

snip

By this logic – we will never be a subject for GotL because we are not allowed to do anything but deal damage. And if you don’t enter CAF – there is no GotL, since you refuse to connect Verdant Etching to their utility (which is kinda … ridiculous, since we have the option and reason to do so).

And you are using Hornet’s Sting and Monarch’s Leap, do I read that right? By this logic you shouldn’t use those either, because they cause a damage loss.
(naturally, this is a sarcasm)
And I have to salute you for not needing dodge roll in this game. You are the very 1st player I know to be able to do that. Elitists actually maximize that mechanic.

So I’ll say that again. 2 glyphs are amazing for break bars , 1 is a party damage bonus that mathematically beats all our utilities except Frost(and/or Sun) Spirit, 1 is useless and 1 is a very rewarding AoE burst heal if you are playing a healer.
Unity is useless and Alignment is situational (It’s still the best and probably the only Glyph I use during CAF)

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

I would say any glyph but empowerment, our heal, and our daze one are crap. The heal is sadly overshadowed by healing spring in every way as a blast field for water will completely overshadow any healing we would have done with the glyph in CA at great expense to our own self healing.

And, yes, I’m saying the glyphs fail at the aoe niche we were told they would fill.

Because the truth is Ranger AoE is total garbage and the staff and glyphs could have filled that void, and instead we got gimmicks and highly situational point blank aoe utilities.

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

LOL

The pet is NOT remotely 40% of the damage. The DPS benchmarks DnT and rT did showed the pet at best with a cat at around 11% of our total DPS. And that was assuming full buffs on the pet, which clearly does not happen in reality.

I don’t think you grasp how bad the pet’s DPS is and how poorly they scale with ascended gear (they don’t), consumables (they don’t), and runes/sigils (they don’t). Pet’s don’t even reach the 220% crit damage bonus the player does (so 120% from ferocity), at best with BM traitline (which you don’t even take), we’re talking about a measly 30-40% crit damage bonus compared to the player’s 120% form gear.

Pets in their current iteration will NEVER be more than 20% of our DPS at best.

And perhaps it’s best that way so PvP crybabies don’t block attempts to buff the ranger’s DPS because they hate dying to a pet. They might actually buff the ranger’s weapon DPS for a change.

I thnik you dont grasp that in real situation you- a) dont run rull zerk build. 2) dont dps all the time, you use CA , run around etc.. your pet is on target most of the time. So my prediction for pet DPS is quite accurate. If you do want to full zerk dps all the time you won’t be taking druid traitline so you dont have access to glyphs, making all your remarks regarding this post irrelevant.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I thnik you dont grasp that in real situation you- a) dont run rull zerk build. 2) dont dps all the time, you use CA , run around etc.. your pet is on target most of the time. So my prediction for pet DPS is quite accurate. If you do want to full zerk dps all the time you won’t be taking druid traitline so you dont have access to glyphs, making all your remarks regarding this post irrelevant.

I have to agree here but from a completely different point of view.
Power is not taken into content because of personal DPS. Most people know that. Which means if the discussion is only about hardcore meta PvE content where you do nothing but maximize DPS (both support and personal) – you would have never taken MM to begin with and you’d definitely go for conditions.
Which makes most of what he said contradicting.

And I do believe that the game should not be balanced around only the top 5% of the elite players but for everyday players, too. Where Nature Magic dominates MM by both DPS (Druids will spend most of their time in CAF), offensive and defensive support. So his statements aren’t truthful for Top Tier experience, neither for casual gaming.

The only glyph that needs attention is Unity. Period.
Glyph of Rejuvenation needs nothing but a fix to work with pet. It’s an excellent burst heal for your party. I am able to blast a 11K AoE heal on my fully support (healing) dedicated Druid.
Nope, you can’t compare it with Healing Spring.

I mean … Where was this guy when we had Guard on the old functionality where like half of the WvW rangers and before that half of PvP rangers used it solely because of the Resounding Timbre trait ?

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

I have to agree here but from a completely different point of view.
Power is not taken into content because of personal DPS. Most people know that. Which means if the discussion is only about hardcore meta PvE content where you do nothing but maximize DPS (both support and personal) – you would have never taken MM to begin with and you’d definitely go for conditions.
Which makes most of what he said contradicting.

And I do believe that the game should not be balanced around only the top 5% of the elite players but for everyday players, too. Where Nature Magic dominates MM by both DPS (Druids will spend most of their time in CAF), offensive and defensive support. So his statements aren’t truthful for Top Tier experience, neither for casual gaming.

The only glyph that needs attention is Unity. Period.
Glyph of Rejuvenation needs nothing but a fix to work with pet. It’s an excellent burst heal for your party. I am able to blast a 11K AoE heal on my fully support (healing) dedicated Druid.
Nope, you can’t compare it with Healing Spring.

I mean … Where was this guy when we had Guard on the old functionality where like half of the WvW rangers and before that half of PvP rangers used it solely because of the Resounding Timbre trait ?

Completely agree with everything you just saied. Ranger used to have the worst utilitites in game but now i think we have more options than most proffensions, I see signets/survival/shouts/survival/glyphs being used at top tier builds, DH for example have like 2-3 traps options and 2-3 mditations.

(edited by LughLongArm.5460)