Druids and the WvW Bag Conundrum

in Ranger

Posted by: Vonmanstein.3645

Vonmanstein.3645

The Druid allows me to be a huge benefit to my team, and can very often swing an encounter quite dramatically. I’ve also received quite a few compliments from guildies on the heals, which makes playing a Druid all the more rewarding. However, the Druid is completely, utterly screwed on bag drops in WvW . Empirically, I noticed my DPS guildmates tonight, during a very fun, fight-filled evening, received roughly thrice as many bags as myself during our session. Sadly, this is certainly far from the first time I’ve observed this, either.

I’m sure there’s probably a good reason why, under the hood, the game calculates this the way it’s done in the past to present. However, it truly seems unfair that, while you offer such incredible heal support to your team (which allows them to do their jobs, while reaping nearly all the rewards), you receive a mere pittance in return for bags. You should not be required to resort to gamey tactics to rectify this, such as “tagging” as many enemies as you can. You’re far more useful to your team in pumping out green numbers, utility, etc, and the game should reward you accordingly.

(edited by Vonmanstein.3645)

in Ranger

Posted by: LetsOneGamer.6035

LetsOneGamer.6035

I agree it really sucks but I think it wont change. Support characters have been in WvW since the start and they haven’t done anything to compensate them , why would they change now?

Also what build are you running? I have been looking a round for a good build and you seem to be having success.

Staff Ele Extraordinaire [mV] – Far Shiverpeaks

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

I wholeheartedly agree that there need to be some compensation for classes/builds that don’t to a lot of damage due to trying to heal/boon/condi remove/not dps.

What I’ve been doing is making sure that I’m in a party and i have a axe/wh set opposite my staff so that when i see that the moment is going our way, i can switch to a/wh and get some more bags

in Ranger

Vonmanstein.3645

I agree it really sucks but I think it wont change. Support characters have been in WvW since the start and they haven’t done anything to compensate them , why would they change now?

Also what build are you running? I have been looking a round for a good build and you seem to be having success.

Although I do think this should have been fixed before, it becomes all the more urgent in my eyes now that a “heavy healing” class has been implemented.

This is my build. It maximizes the group support aspect of the class by buffing heals, survivability, warhorn skills, and utility through immobs (I’ve found the glyphs to be a little underwhelming in a WvW environment). I run nearly full ascended Clerics on this, and it does amazingly well in organized WvW (i.e. part of coordinated groups on Teamspeak). Maybe I should throw this on Metabattle or something when I get the time.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBmOD7kRFoWQslFwjFgqFskJYw10c6P15wt4mZNJrAwB4kNclVA-TJxDwAYLD8c/BIXEAAPBAA

in Ranger

Vonmanstein.3645

I wholeheartedly agree that there need to be some compensation for classes/builds that don’t to a lot of damage due to trying to heal/boon/condi remove/not dps.

What I’ve been doing is making sure that I’m in a party and i have a axe/wh set opposite my staff so that when i see that the moment is going our way, i can switch to a/wh and get some more bags

Yes, and my point is that using gimmicks like this should be superfluous when you’re more useful healing your team. I remember in Warhammer Online there was a similar situation where tanks would get screwed on renown gains in RvR, but healer and DPS classes did well. In my mind, at least the healers got compensated well, whereas in GW2, a far superior game overall, this is not even the case.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

If you are playing WvW for rewards, you have gone to the wrong place. I would recommend to keep playing Druid if you find it fun. That’s what games are played for anyhow, not just for the shinnies. But who knowes maybe when they start to ‘fix’ (not that I feel WvW is broken) WvW they may find a way to help support roles get more rewards.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

If you are playing WvW for rewards, you have gone to the wrong place. I would recommend to keep playing Druid if you find it fun. That’s what games are played for anyhow, not just for the shinnies.

Oh look THAT guy appeared. THAT guy always appears doesn’t he?

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

If you are playing WvW for rewards, you have gone to the wrong place. I would recommend to keep playing Druid if you find it fun. That’s what games are played for anyhow, not just for the shinnies.

I think you’re misunstanding his intent. If I may speak for him, I don’t think he’s saying “real WvWers play only for the win” but rather “you don’t get any rewards in WvW no matter what you do.”

in Ranger

Vonmanstein.3645

If you are playing WvW for rewards, you have gone to the wrong place. I would recommend to keep playing Druid if you find it fun. That’s what games are played for anyhow, not just for the shinnies. But who knowes maybe when they start to ‘fix’ (not that I feel WvW is broken) WvW they may find a way to help support roles get more rewards.

I completely agree with you. In fact, I taught myself how to play the TP for money, because I was sick of being broke in-game and despise PVE for the most part. For a multitude of reasons, organized WvW is a massive gold sink for me, but since I consider it to be the endgame and have a blast doing it, I really don’t mind.

However, on principle, I still think it’s incorrect that DPS is rewarded exclusively with whatever minimal drops WvW bags give, while healers get nearly no part in it.

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I think you’re misunstanding his intent. If I may speak for him, I don’t think he’s saying “real WvWers play only for the win” but rather “you don’t get any rewards in WvW no matter what you do.”

Maybe I did, and I agree that WvW rewards are generally garbage and people play it for the fun not the rewards, However said rewards are even worse for druids. We have other classes playing what they enjoy and also getting rewarded, and then we have support playing what they like and getting nothing because of stupid game mechanics. Look at all the guardians running around with their lootstick in hand pressing 1 and collecting bags while doing kitten all while healers keep the group alive and get nothing because they don’t tag as many enemies.

I don’t think ignoring this imbalance because loot bags are not the primary motive for WvW is the right approach to take.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: LetsOneGamer.6035

LetsOneGamer.6035

Although I do think this should have been fixed before, it becomes all the more urgent in my eyes now that a “heavy healing” class has been implemented.

This is my build. It maximizes the group support aspect of the class by buffing heals, survivability, warhorn skills, and utility through immobs (I’ve found the glyphs to be a little underwhelming in a WvW environment). I run nearly full ascended Clerics on this, and it does amazingly well in organized WvW (i.e. part of coordinated groups on Teamspeak). Maybe I should throw this on Metabattle or something when I get the time.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBmOD7kRFoWQslFwjFgqFskJYw10c6P15wt4mZNJrAwB4kNclVA-TJxDwAYLD8c/BIXEAAPBAA

What sort of scale is this for? Because in a zerg fight I feel like all your pet based skill will be usless.

Staff Ele Extraordinaire [mV] – Far Shiverpeaks

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I’m not sure whats more embarrassing,

Druids complaining about not enough loot bags
or
Rangers crying about retaliation damage after dumping barrage on a zerg.

in Ranger

Posted by: Curring.9752

Curring.9752

They could add in an assist feature – if you directly heal someone (Not through regen etc) then you get assisted in what ever they tag so you will still get a loot bag. I love playing heal/support but I find no reason to, may as well play necro and tag everything.
This is also a similar issue in PvE.

In the greater blob of things, there is only the zerg.
Kittens, Kittens everywhere!