Dual wielding axes....good or bad?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sosus.4365

Sosus.4365

First off….I’m a GW2 noob. So take my comments as you will.

I really like the ranger because I liked the idea of having pets. I am level 33 so far and have tried different weapon combinations and I really like the dual wielding axes the best. I do not hear them mentioned a lot so I thought I would ask, because there must be a reason they are not used a lot.

I like the AOE effect of the axes auto attack. I like to get up close and put 5 bleeds on mobs with number 2. I like to hit muliple enemies with number 4. and if I get more than 1 mob within melee range then I like to use number 5.

If it is a single mob, then stack bleeds with the axe (2) then alot of the times I switch to my sword/war horn. But for muliple targets nothing beats two axes, imo.

I really dont like the LB or SB, and I really tried to like them, but I guess those are the main weapons a lot of rangers use.

so, is it a good idea to dual wield axes. I ask, because im a noob and guess I would like advice from more experienced rangers.

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

The number 5 attack of offhand axe server multiple purposes, especially if you are traited for Off-hand Training; "Offhand skills have a longer range and 20% quicker recharge. ".

- If you’re fighting a Thief, and they stealth, it can cause a situation where they have to take an extra wide circle around you, to get in a good backstab, or take damage while moving into you, for that backstab. This sets up several stacks of vulnerability too, while they’re being hit, so when they do come out of stealth, you are doing more damage to them.

- This can also be used to flush a Thief out of his Shadow Refuge, as it covers virtually the entire circle.

- Fighting a Pistol/Dagger Thief, this will allow you a reprieve when you need it, as it blocks, and reflects all missile attacks.

- Mesmers are annoying, and this can rip through illusions, sometimes killing those that come in, when they are commanded to shatter.

Axe mainhand gives you access to the best defensive ability in the game, if you’re not fighting a critical hit build, and that is Weakness. The synergy between Weakness, and a Rangers Protection is huge. If Shortbow wasn’t so great for cutting down Guardians, and D/D Elementalists, I’d probably run Axe+Axe, and Axe+Torch all the time.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

(edited by jkctmc.8754)

in Ranger

Posted by: FusRoDan.2638

FusRoDan.2638

I have mixed feelings about dual axes; the MH axe is fantastic, love the auto attack, love the great bleeds, love the chill. The OH axe however feels a bit lackluster. Path of Scars is fun to use and does pretty nice damage, but whirling defense is highly situational. While it does grant access to a nice whirl finisher, vulnerability and project reflect, the main problem is the root, which makes you a sitting duck while using it. It’s impossible to get more than a few stray hits off on moving targets while it almost guarantees that you’ll be eating a lot of damage throughout it’s duration against stationary targets. Overall, I think it needs a bit of reworking, and I’d rather take a warhorn or torch over a second axe any day (except in perhaps very very niche situations).

in Ranger

Posted by: Silverkung.9127

Silverkung.9127

Anything you play and feel so good/happy,It’s alway good.
It’s nothing right or wrong.
You will discover your style build for suit yourself and play better when use it.

Axe/Axe is hard to see in ranger.
Skill2 Axe + shapenting stone will make u see more bleeding.
IDK but am not good with Axe/Axe it hard to handle.

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

Main hand axe is used because its the only ranged main hand we have to accompany a torch or a warhorn with. The only reason we walk around with it is because it’s better than walking around empty-handed.

Off-hand axe however is pretty terrible. #4 just does a pitiful amount of damage and the #5, while having some PvE applications due to the vulnerability and the predictedness of bosses with projectile attacks, it’s terrible in PvP and WvW because nobody is going to stand still in front of you, and even if they do, any warrior, rogue or even guardian worth their salt will outDPS you.

It’s sad, because I absolutely adore the #5 aesthetic-wise.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

First off….I’m a GW2 noob. So take my comments as you will.

I really like the ranger because I liked the idea of having pets. I am level 33 so far and have tried different weapon combinations and I really like the dual wielding axes the best. I do not hear them mentioned a lot so I thought I would ask, because there must be a reason they are not used a lot.

I like the AOE effect of the axes auto attack. I like to get up close and put 5 bleeds on mobs with number 2. I like to hit muliple enemies with number 4. and if I get more than 1 mob within melee range then I like to use number 5.

If it is a single mob, then stack bleeds with the axe (2) then alot of the times I switch to my sword/war horn. But for muliple targets nothing beats two axes, imo.

I really dont like the LB or SB, and I really tried to like them, but I guess those are the main weapons a lot of rangers use.

so, is it a good idea to dual wield axes. I ask, because im a noob and guess I would like advice from more experienced rangers.

It’s one of my favorite combinations, actually.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Main hand axe is used because its the only ranged main hand we have to accompany a torch or a warhorn with. The only reason we walk around with it is because it’s better than walking around empty-handed.

Off-hand axe however is pretty terrible. #4 just does a pitiful amount of damage and the #5, while having some PvE applications due to the vulnerability and the predictedness of bosses with projectile attacks, it’s terrible in PvP and WvW because nobody is going to stand still in front of you, and even if they do, any warrior, rogue or even guardian worth their salt will outDPS you.

Wow, agadar, really? You think offhand axe is terrible? I think you need to guest with me. No wonder you struggle with ranger. Please, guest with me so I can teach you how to play this profession. Also, here’s proof of the usefulness of offhand axe in a dungeon all rangers should be running:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Dungeon-Guide-for-Rangers-Caudecus-Manor

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

Wow, agadar, really? You think offhand axe is terrible? I think you need to guest with me. No wonder you struggle with ranger. Please, guest with me so I can teach you how to play this profession. Also, here’s proof of the usefulness of offhand axe in a dungeon all rangers should be running:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Dungeon-Guide-for-Rangers-Caudecus-Manor

I don’t think the teachings of someone who believes the off-hand axe to be viable will in any shape or form be benevolent to me.

in Ranger

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

It’s ALRIGHT. The number 4 skill isn’t all that special, and you might as well just auto attack instead of using the 4 skill. However Whirling Defense is great for ranged defense, and it also hits for a lot of damage in a pinch!

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

It’s ALRIGHT. The number 4 skill isn’t all that special, and you might as well just auto attack instead of using the 4 skill. However Whirling Defense is great for ranged defense, and it also hits for a lot of damage in a pinch!

I’ve done over twenty 1000+ crits with a single toss of offhand axe #4. If there’s a tightly grouped mob, that thing is actually quite beastly.

And regarding agadar’s hurtful rhetoric, I have Bark Skin. My invitation to help you is always open.

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

I’ve done over twenty 1000+ crits with a single toss of offhand axe #4. If there’s a tightly grouped mob, that thing is actually quite beastly.

And regarding agadar’s hurtful rhetoric, I have Bark Skin. My invitation to help you is always open.

If you think that making big crits is what counts in this game, boy do I have news for you.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

If you think that making big crits is what counts in this game, boy do I have news for you.

When did I say that? Seriously, the point you brought up is an entirely different discussion. I think I know why you responded that way. You think I’m saying to use offhand axe all the time “FOR BIG CRITS”. That’s not at all what I’m saying. I’m saying that in the right situations, offhand axe is a good weapon and certainly not terrible and you are trying to claim.

Agadar, the fact is that sometimes you have to kill a large pile of trash mobs. Clearly, a bouncing axe dishing out 1000 point damage to a dozen enemies is a good thing or else warriors wouldn’t use 100 blades and elementalists wouldn’t use Meteor Shower.

You have to realize that everything in this game is situational. There is no “one profession that pwns them all”. There is no “one weapon that is the always the optimal/best for every situation”. There is no player than can perpetually tank a boss, so why should your pet? These are all things, in my opinion, that you ask for, based on your comment history. ANET isn’t going to make ranger OP just for you, man!

Seriously, agadar, I like you. I like debating you. You should guest with me. I won’t troll you and I won’t be mean. It’s not about benevolence. Clearly you want ranger to work, I found some things that tend to make ranger work, why can’t we meet in the middle?

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sosus.4365

Sosus.4365

ok this is all good info. and agadar, you were kind of rude, tbh. glad to know others like the dual wielding axes too. btw, I havent PVP’d yet so I was only asking in the context of PVE. Thanks everyone.

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

When did I say that? Seriously, the point you brought up is an entirely different discussion. I think I know why you responded that way. You think I’m saying to use offhand axe all the time “FOR BIG CRITS”. That’s not at all what I’m saying. I’m saying that in the right situations, offhand axe is a good weapon and certainly not terrible and you are trying to claim.

Agadar, the fact is that sometimes you have to kill a large pile of trash mobs. Clearly, a bouncing axe dishing out 1000 point damage to a dozen enemies is a good thing or else warriors wouldn’t use 100 blades and elementalists wouldn’t use Meteor Shower.

You have to realize that everything in this game is situational. There is no “one profession that pwns them all”. There is no “one weapon that is the always the optimal/best for every situation”. There is no player than can perpetually tank a boss, so why should your pet? These are all things, in my opinion, that you ask for, based on your comment history. ANET isn’t going to make ranger OP just for you, man!

In the right situation, butt-chocolate might save your life during a fight.

That doesn’t make butt-chocolate a viable weapon now does it?

in Ranger

Posted by: Anthrage.2519

Anthrage.2519

Mainhand Axe is good, but it suffers because 33% of it’s skills and 63% of it’s damage is bugged…we do 63% less damage than we should. That’s an issue. The # 3 power for PvP and the #1 power for PvE are nice to be sure.

Offhand is very situational in my opinion, but it can be used to very good effect when used well. It dovetails nicely with several of the ranger skills – all of the combo fields it can self-produce for example (Water, Fire, Ice and via the pet, Poison). as well as the additional stacking sources of Vulnerability. It can also be used before or after a Swoop or Leap, out of Stealth or before and/or after invulnerability or with AoE Chills, Roots or Immobilizes…

I use Offhand-Axe on my Toughness/Boon Duration Ranger, has perma Might/Fury/Swiftness, good damage mitigation so it offsets some of the downsides. Offhand Warhorn I agree is very very hard to not use, but since our signet was bumped to +25%, I find using that and freeing up the offhand slot, at least for movement speed, works well enough.

My advise is to judge it how it works in practice, in context, not just on paper, before making a decision – and go with what works for you, regardless of what other people say.

Ranger Anthrage Stormrider – Sanguine Wild Guild [SW]
sPvP BuildWvW Build
Tarnished Coast Server- Anthrage Stormrider on Youtube

in Ranger

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

Seriously, agadar, I like you. I like debating you. You should guest with me. I won’t troll you and I won’t be mean. It’s not about benevolence. Clearly you want ranger to work, I found some things that tend to make ranger work, why can’t we meet in the middle?

I like the main hand Axe as between it and my Drake they can take down open world PvE mobs fairly quickly. I tried using a Horn with it and the burst of speed (when active) was awesome but found (for me anyway) the Torch to be more effective.

I’d have to ask what kind of numbers are you getting off your main hand Axe? I don’t think I’ve seen my main hit that many targets that hard. (unless of course its bouncing between a bunch of RATS which shows the damage scales inversely with the size of the target)

Maybe I’ll drop by the Fort @ LA and test it out… (curious now…)

M.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

I don’t think there’s anything necessarily bad about offhand axe, it’s just that warhorn is great, and apparently torch is good too for condition damage and combo fields (I never use it myself just ‘cause I don’t like the idea of fighting with a torch). If more rangers ran with two dual-wield setups as you do, you’d probably see offhand axe a lot more often.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

There is nothing better when farming karkies, not necessarily dual wield just off hand is enough if you go to the karka egg event rock where they are close together you can easily gather and kill 3 or maybe more at once with reflecting projectiles while takin 0 damage.

in Ranger

Posted by: Asthalon.6875

Asthalon.6875

I mainly PvE, but I run SB & Dual-Axe with Fire/Frost Traps and LF, and River Drake, and I just annihilate groups of mobs (can’t really be done with squishy gear, though, you need to take some hits).

Throw down traps, follow your Drake in with #4 to open (find the best line on the way in), wait for Area Might (now that tail swipe is fixed), pop #5 for whirl combo + melee pain, fire off the Drake’s lightning attack, LF out, and clean up with Auto Attack if anything’s still standing.

It wouldn’t work nearly as well in PvP/WvW, but it’s a great PvE build, especially for when you can round up a bunch of mobs into a group.