Enjoying my new ranger... Pets? :D

in Ranger

Posted by: Puls.5867

Puls.5867

Hey guys so I’m really enjoying the ranger I have recently made and been using in a Series “Raise my Ranger” on YouTube

I was just wondering what pets people mostly use? (: I’m going to be hunting some pets soon so I’m open to suggestions on what ones to hunt and tame

Tsento – Mesmer | Timcarnate – Revenant | Timigami – Necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Id think the most commonly used pets would be canines and drakes. Since they have a good balance of survivability and damage. birds are used alot in pvp for there burst damage ability. And cats are used sometimes in pve for there damage. Although there flimsy nature means they require some micromanagement if you want to make them worth using. (people that bring cats and dont bother doing what it takes to keep them alive lose out on ALOT of damage).

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Puls.5867

Id think the most commonly used pets would be canines and drakes. Since they have a good balance of survivability and damage. birds are used alot in pvp for there burst damage ability. And cats are used sometimes in pve for there damage. Although there flimsy nature means they require some micromanagement if you want to make them worth using. (people that bring cats and dont bother doing what it takes to keep them alive lose out on ALOT of damage).

Ah I see, so if I was mainly focusing on the story and getting my ranger to 80 I want to focus on Canines and drakes? (: Noted! Thanks

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Bear is the most commonly used.

Since you using lb everything must be getting mowed down by you pretty fast. So im not sure any pet can really contribute much other then an aggro bag like the bear. Maybe stalker or red moa for might/fury?
Perhaps a ranged pet like spider or devourer so they can actually get a few hits in?

Drakehound is good for locking your foes down as you are barraging too and its f2 is 20sec cd wrather then 30sec+

Some swear by river drake for bouncy lightning attack it does, honestly I don’t see the appeal.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Ah I see, so if I was mainly focusing on the story and getting my ranger to 80 I want to focus on Canines and drakes? (: Noted! Thanks

Id have to say in my opinion thats a good way to go. Though id also practice with spiders a bit. As there very useful if you ever get into TPvP. The big thing is canines and drakes are useful in almost ANY content.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Red Moa (fury), Bear (good tank), cats (dps), bird (swiftness+dps), dogs (good pvp pet), spider (useful in both pve and pvp), drake (cleave).

There quite a number of choices here.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

I use wolf for the knockdown/AoE fear and drakehound for the knockdown/AoE immobilize. They both have some pretty decent damage on their cripple/knockdown. Great for pvp when you want to set up either a condi bomb or a Rapid Fire. Works fine in PvE for all purpose.

in Ranger

Puls.5867

Red Moa (fury), Bear (good tank), cats (dps), bird (swiftness+dps), dogs (good pvp pet), spider (useful in both pve and pvp), drake (cleave).

They sound very useful and I forgot about spiders even though I have seen a lot of them in pvp and am I right in thinking the krytan hound can fear?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

They sound very useful and I forgot about spiders even though I have seen a lot of them in pvp and am I right in thinking the krytan hound can fear?

It’s wolf that can fear It’s a very nice looking pet too <3
I categorize him as dog though~~ (that’s why I add s on it)
It has abit of problem in PVE due to it’s overall low HP and low damage, but the CC they provide is inviable in PVP.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Play around with pets and see what ability they use when you swap to them while in combat.

Example #1: Drakes will to their Tail attack when first summoned. If you have down a healing spring, this will give you a nice blast finisher for some extra healing.

Example #2: Canines will do their knockdown. Use this to get a predictable CC on a target.

Also, if you like to stay at range, ranged pets like Devourers and Spiders can be nice in that they stay at range too thereby making it easier for you to position them between you and non-piercing projectiles. [You] — [Pet] — [Ranged Mob]. Works well :-)

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

(edited by Sebrent.3625)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

The vast majority of the time I’ll be using Drake/Spider/Canine, but then again I play almost exclusively WvW so YMMV.

• Drake’s awesome for the cleave, self heal, blast, nice balance of tank/dps. RaO with River Drake F2 will give you a nice bunch of Might.
  • Spider ranged hard hitting attack, immob, poison, highish HP.
  • Canine cripple, KD, and really solid F2s for the most part. Some people say they’re a good balance between damage and survivability, but I’ve always found they’re pretty squishy.

in Ranger

Posted by: pope.9074

pope.9074

I enjoy using my Warthog. His special ability usually finds useful items like scales or gunk.

He is called ‘Bacon Sandwich’

Genealogists: hassling the dead and baffling the living.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Brown Bear for extra condition removal (2cond 5players aoe)
Drakes for Combo Finisher: Blast (only pets w/this)
Jungle Stalker Might stacks
Wolf for knockdown and Fear (great for cliff throwing or saving yourself from a stomp)
Jungle Spider for immobilize
Fern Hound for knockdown and regen
Jaguar for stealth play

the pets I tend to use frequently.

JQ Druid

in Ranger

Posted by: Elendur.9342

Elendur.9342

I am still a newbie, started playing around 2 weeks, ago, but if it helps, I use mostly the alpine wolf (easy to get, can knock down and chill), sometimes I swap to the eagle and at water I use the shark or the river drake.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nonoka.7028

Nonoka.7028

I usually run with Reef Drake (that confusion is a nice touch and it just looks kittening beastly, most beautiful drake in the game imho,)
on my main account I use the black widow pet from the hall of monuments, on my secondary account I usually run with another spider pet, they can go do damage from a safer distance and the f2 immobilize is a real lifesaver from time to time