Entangle - Bug? Short video

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

Not sure if this is how it’s suppose to work. When casting entangle on a stealthed player, the binding roots appear around their feet, however they can just move out of them. It seems that the binding roots can’t “see” the enemy.

Oh and I tested this on a mesmer with no condition removali. (in sPvP)

Edit: Here’s some quick testing I did.

(edited by Tricare.2946)

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I’m pretty sure the vines work on the same mechanic as attack chains. The vines will appear around their feet but not actually register a hit to “immobilize” them. It will also work if they stealth after getting rooted since the entangle vines work on pulses which means you can just simple dodge out of it if you time it right or use a long duration evade.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

I’m pretty sure the vines work on the same mechanic as attack chains. The vines will appear around their feet but not actually register a hit to “immobilize” them. It will also work if they stealth after getting rooted since the entangle vines work on pulses which means you can just simple dodge out of it if you time it right or use a long duration evade.

Channeled attacks still hit, a warriors AoE hammer attack would still hit and knockdown

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

thieves have condition cleanse in stealth usually. could have been that. They could have evade rolled out of it too since entangle is awful.

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

thieves have condition cleanse in stealth usually. could have been that. They could have evade rolled out of it too since entangle is awful.

It’s not that, I casted Entangle on a mesmer that stealthed. He was able to just walk out of it. He didn’t condition clear or have anything to reduce conditions.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Entangle hits and effects stealth players exactly the same. I use it fairly often to hit stealth players.

Its just a common problem with Entangle that people with condition cleanse or reduction just walk straight out.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

Entangle hits and effects stealth players exactly the same. I use it fairly often to hit stealth players.

Its just a common problem with Entangle that people with condition cleanse or reduction just walk straight out.

I know it “hits” them while in stealthed. However, with NO condition clear or reduction a stealthed player just walks right out of it without ever taking damage or getting entangled.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yih.4950

Yih.4950

lol the three people who replied obviously didn’t bother to watch your video. hey three people who replied: watch the video.

i don’t think there’s really anything to say—you bought a problem to light that needs to be fixed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daze.6914

Daze.6914

From my own experience I’ve never managed to immobilize a stealthed player with Entangle, never ever.
I’m not saying it can’t be done but just that I tried plenty of times and never made it.

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Interesting video, I can only conclude theres a difference in WvW and sPvP, because no vines even appeared when you used it when he was stealthed which in WvW they would have, and like I said I’ve caught many people in stealth just fine.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

Interesting video, I can only conclude theres a difference in WvW and sPvP, because no vines even appeared when you used it when he was stealthed which in WvW they would have, and like I said I’ve caught many people in stealth just fine.

Yeah, I’ve caught people in WvW as well. However, I’ve noticed that it’s just as they are coming out of stealth. In this video skip to 2:40 and watch the mesmer I catch. You notice she won’t take any bleed damage but gets entangled twice. Remember, the immobilize hits them while stealthed but only once.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Please post this in the bugs reports sticky. It won’t get seen here.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Correction: there no longer appears to be a bug reports sticky…

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Entangle is buggy period, I dueled a Necro a few days ago and showed him how buggy it was….Against some people it’ll just not work and do anything, however every now and again you’ll use Entangle on someone, and it acts more like a stun then a root, Like if you get caught slightly off the ground or something it like stuns you, or if you’re caught on the side, you can’t move or use any abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

Wow that explains quite a lot. I stopped using entangle completely because it was so unreliable. This vid just confirms it.

I hope someone at ANet can confirm if this intended behavior, as entangle is really a good elite, but has some weird quirks about it.

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Da Poolp.6809

Da Poolp.6809

They need to change the way Entangle work, like I said in another post.
This spell is from the druid spell “Entangle” in D&D and must work like it. It means the area (where you casted it) must be “trapped”, and everybody who walk inside will be rooted, not just ones who were here at this moment and don’t cleanse it.

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

I’ve decided that this is a bug. Entangle shouldn’t be the only AoE attack that doesn’t affect stealthed players. Simply stealthing shouldn’t block/stop an elite attack, while every other normal short-CD AoE attack works just fine.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bredin.5368

Bredin.5368

everyone should submit in -game bug reports as well. Thanks, Tricare, for testing this. Your results fit with my experience--I’ve stopped using entangle on stealthed players.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

This has always functioned like this. Essentially, the best way I can describe it is that even though rangers cast Entangle as a pbAoE, the vines themselves are like their own AI entity (thus making them targetable, etc), and their attack is a single target attack. That means that when a player stealths, it does to the vines what it does to the player, and it drops the target.

That means, that the vines can no longer target that player until they come back out of stealth. It has always worked like this, although I don’t believe anybody has ever made it a point to call it a bug before, since from a mechanic perspective, everything that is described is working as intended (no broken mechanic), but because the attack itself is unique, it seems to be broken within that unique niche, as stealth really shouldn’t be a direct counter for the only pbAoE rangers have.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

This has always functioned like this. Essentially, the best way I can describe it is that even though rangers cast Entangle as a pbAoE, the vines themselves are like their own AI entity (thus making them targetable, etc), and their attack is a single target attack. That means that when a player stealths, it does to the vines what it does to the player, and it drops the target.

That means, that the vines can no longer target that player until they come back out of stealth. It has always worked like this, although I don’t believe anybody has ever made it a point to call it a bug before, since from a mechanic perspective, everything that is described is working as intended (no broken mechanic), but because the attack itself is unique, it seems to be broken within that unique niche, as stealth really shouldn’t be a direct counter for the only pbAoE rangers have.

What i was thinking.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

Yeah, I guess it’s not a “bug”. However, I think the skill needs to be changed to work against stealthed players all the same.

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

They should just make it a persistent field type ability like Muddy Terrain. A bunch or targetable vines that PBAoE cast immobilize and bleed on 5 targets. It’d make it more reliable and stronger since enemies in the center will get hit with multiple stack of immobilize/bleed.

in Ranger

Posted by: FirstInfantry.2795

FirstInfantry.2795

just two things to share
1. cloaking device trait on engineer allows them to automatically break out of entangle, so i would agree that entangle has a bug.
2. its easy to dodge roll and avoid being hit by entangle in the first place, funny enough half the time i just dodge roll to avoid a ranger attack and just so happens i dodged the entangle as well, not a complaint:))

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

Still wondering if ANet can clear this up….

in Ranger

Posted by: Anthrage.2519

Anthrage.2519

I have seen a target evade the initial application when entangle goes off, but become entangled afterward when he walks back into that set of roots – at 9:30 of this video – it is in a fashion already persistent. Having it be truly persistent might be too powerful given how long it lasts however.

Speaking of bugs, at 6:10 in this video at you can see an Engineer not get hit by the Entangle, though he doesn’t appear to have stability nor be invis. Strange.

They should just make it a persistent field type ability like Muddy Terrain. A bunch or targetable vines that PBAoE cast immobilize and bleed on 5 targets. It’d make it more reliable and stronger since enemies in the center will get hit with multiple stack of immobilize/bleed.

Ranger Anthrage Stormrider – Sanguine Wild Guild [SW]
sPvP BuildWvW Build
Tarnished Coast Server- Anthrage Stormrider on Youtube

(edited by Anthrage.2519)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’d like to see the roots become “solid” IE you can’t just condi cleanse or tele out, you should be forced to kill them, although they’d have to make it so ranged attacks can hit the kittening things…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I’d like to see the roots become “solid” IE you can’t just condi cleanse or tele out, you should be forced to kill them, although they’d have to make it so ranged attacks can hit the kittening things…

I think, in terms of PvP, that being able to cleanse them is fair. I would prefer that they make the duration of the immobilize longer than what it takes the roots to reapply it though, so that it can’t be evaded out of, and I would like it to still hit stealth players so that they can’t escape out.

So basically, if the only options were to burn a cleanse or to kill the roots, that imo would be a good balance point. I wouldn’t mind having them needed to be killed as the only escape though lol.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

Still wondering if we can get a response.