Entangle Vs. Stealth

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

I’m going to have to say that Entangle should work against stealthed targets.

It’s a plant coming out of the ground grabbing on to anything in the area. It shouldn’t require "sight’’ or a “target” to continue it’s effect on players.

Here’s a quick test I did that shows what happens to stealthed players when you cast Entangle.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

I agree.
I cant find a reason not to..

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Just to add on this, you can actually stealth out of entangle (or at least you could in the past, haven’t tested it lately.) Good or bad game design, that’s something every glass LB ranger needs to know when fighting a thief.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Oh wow, I always thought that entangle roots just apply their effects to anything standing on them…

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Oh wow, I always thought that entangle roots just apply their effects to anything standing on them…

Apparently it is too much to ask for skills to kind of at least work similarly across the profession. I wonder if a thief in stealth is stunned by the supply crate.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Apparently it is too much to ask for skills to kind of at least work similarly across the profession. I wonder if a thief in stealth is stunned by the supply crate.

Yeah, I always used my entangle when a thief stealthed at low health… for the obvious reasons. Never seemed to work well. At least I know it’s not me who fails big but the game that fails.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

I honestly believe if the other professions had the same kind of problems related to how ranger interact with the game they would have to shut down the forums.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I use madking runes and those birds DO hit stealthed players so I use entangle even if target is stealthed ;-)

Love seeing my sigil of fire proc on stealthed people :-)

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

looking at you video you did get hit by it you just managed to walk out of it in between pulses, did you have some sort of condition reduction or passive removal on at the time?

I regularly use it on thief in stealth (MT as well) and i find them stuck in it when the come out of stealth.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

Here’s another video I made awhile back. The way Entangle works against stealth hasn’t been changed.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t6tpq0Z3PtQ

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

Here’s another video I made awhile back. The way Entangle works against stealth hasn’t been changed.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t6tpq0Z3PtQ

fair enough, the people that I’m trapping with might not know that you can just walk out of it while in stealth though i typically use MT as well so it might be that that is catching them as well. This is pretty rough though.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

This is one of the reasons I don’t like entangle the other one is that it doesn’t do anything if you are blinded I think it should place roots just the same just that the initial hit might miss but anyone still standing there or walking into them by accident should still get caught once the blind is gone.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

It’s a plant coming out of the ground grabbing on to anything in the area. It shouldn’t require "sight’’ or a “target” to continue it’s effect on players.

Since we are using fluff as arguments for balancing: Rapidfire should track through stealth since the ranger couldn’t possibly know where the thief is. Also, longbow attacks should be restricted to like 20 before you have to buy new arrows at a vendor. Rangers shouldn’t be able to carry unlimited ammo.

Seriously, if you still have problems with thief after Ranger was promoted to god tier, no amount of buffing will help you anyway. Are you also complaining about daggerstorm reflecting?

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Since we are using fluff as arguments for balancing: Rapidfire should track through stealth since the ranger couldn’t possibly know where the thief is. Also, longbow attacks should be restricted to like 20 before you have to buy new arrows at a vendor. Rangers shouldn’t be able to carry unlimited ammo.

Seriously, if you still have problems with thief after Ranger was promoted to god tier, no amount of buffing will help you anyway. Are you also complaining about daggerstorm reflecting?

you sound like a bad thief who has taken one too many arrows to the knee in wvw.

Bad Elementalist

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

MarauderShields.6830

you sound like a bad thief who has taken one too many arrows to the knee in wvw.

Nah bro. I switched to Pewpew Ranger myself. Keep wrecking thieves and other terribad rangers because it’s so powerful. Anybody who still complains about ranger needs to seriously check their pet/utilities/general skill

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Lethal Njection.8741

Lethal Njection.8741

I think the CD reduction we got for entangle more than makes up for this issue, considering the fact that it’s multi-target and has a reasonably short activation time this is still one of rangers go to skills.

I save Ascalon against another Charr invasion, and my father trifles with doors!

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

I’ll buy arrows, if my opponents die from the first hitting arrow since I placed it in their heart

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Klonko.8341

Klonko.8341

Nah bro. I switched to Pewpew Ranger myself. Keep wrecking thieves and other terribad rangers because it’s so powerful. Anybody who still complains about ranger needs to seriously check their pet/utilities/general skill

Good thing you hop on the bandwagon… You will never improve if you dont stay on the class no matter what. And your Pew Pew ranger might not be good as you say because you are wrecking thieves and terribad rangers.

Duel and group fight is where you can see the limitation of the class. Good luck at high skill level. Not at the element of surprised. Once it is passed, glass ranger get mostly wreck vs same skill level.

Raining Rainbows lvl 80 ranger ~~~~~ SBI server

(edited by Klonko.8341)

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Samis.1750

Samis.1750

Since we are using fluff as arguments for balancing: Rapidfire should track through stealth (I assume you mean should not)

Rangers shouldn’t be able to carry unlimited ammo (I assume you are trolling here).

You do know that Entangle is used in condition builds, so it has nothing to do with Rapid Fire?

It’s not a fluff argument. It’s an elite skill that doesn’t work very well.

Tarnished Coast

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

MarauderShields.6830

You do know that Entangle is used in condition builds, so it has nothing to do with Rapid Fire?

It’s not a fluff argument. It’s an elite skill that doesn’t work very well.

When someone argues “it’s a plant, it shouldn’t need a target” that is definitely part of a fluff argument.
And just because Entangle stacks bleeding doesn’t mean it isn’t a powerful Elite on power roamers as well (it actually works better than RaO for me).
It is a perfectly working, viable Elite skill that deserves the title “Elite” (contrary to many other skills), which doesn’t mean it should be impossible to counter by stealth or condi clear.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

I don’t see why that is a fluff argument. When you are stealthed, you are invisible…not invulnerable. As in, if you walk on something like Lava…visible or not, you are going to die.

Same SHOULD apply to Entangle. It’s a plant so it could care less what it is grabbing, but visible or not, you are getting grabbed.

Anyway, Entangle is horrible IMO. I do love when other Rangers carry it though…one quick LR and they just wasted an elite.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Anyway, Entangle is horrible IMO. I do love when other Rangers carry it though…one quick LR and they just wasted an elite.

Or you just wasted LR. They’re on similar cooldowns, but many rangers only carry a single stun breaker or immob cleanser. Every now and then I’ll kill some noob with no cleanse at all using entangle, but for the most part I chain it together with a half dozen CCs to secure the kill.

Drakehound + MT is like the noob test for people that want to fight you 1v1. If they can’t get past 900 range without getting aced, well…

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

Entangle is insane against some classes if they burned their CD, pretty average against others. Looks pretty balanced to me.
What I like is the -20% CD and the free Fury / condition removal synergy it has when properly traited.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Same SHOULD apply to Entangle. It’s a plant so it could care less what it is grabbing, but visible or not, you are getting grabbed.

Because the vines are independent mobs that need to be able to target a player/mob to affect them. Anet could probably change this but as of right now the vines aren’t simply an effect like static field or other AoE’s that cover and area and hit everything in them regardless of visibility.

The obvious solution would be to change it to an AoE that just causes long duration Immob and bleed to 5 targets closest to you. This might end up causing a nerf though since you would no longer be able to kill the vines to escape.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Gotejjeken.1267

Or you just wasted LR. They’re on similar cooldowns, but many rangers only carry a single stun breaker or immob cleanser. Every now and then I’ll kill some noob with no cleanse at all using entangle, but for the most part I chain it together with a half dozen CCs to secure the kill.

Drakehound + MT is like the noob test for people that want to fight you 1v1. If they can’t get past 900 range without getting aced, well…

I guess possibly if you are in the middle of it and are not paying attention then you could face a little trouble. If are paying any bit of attention it isn’t all that hard to avoid IMO.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I guess possibly if you are in the middle of it and are not paying attention then you could face a little trouble. If are paying any bit of attention it isn’t all that hard to avoid IMO.

You can’t dodge so, the enemy can reapply CC at will.

It’s not a “little trouble”, you either avoid the immobilize after cleanses are burned or you flat out die. You’re NOT going to survive an attack when you can’t move or dodge.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Gotejjeken.1267

I guess I may run into more advanced players then. Just from my perspective as a Ranger, I have so many ways to clear conditions that I’ll never stay Entangled unless I am half asleep.

I agree the main benefit of it is the pairing with SOTF and the survival trait. I still do not see it as an Elite, more of a utility that you can just throw out there. Basically I see it as a slightly more powerful MT.

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Could add a short pulsing reveal to it so as long as a thief or mesmer is in entangle they have to break out of it the same way as everyone else.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Klonko.8341

Klonko.8341

Could add a short pulsing reveal to it so as long as a thief or mesmer is in entangle they have to break out of it the same way as everyone else.

No need to reveal, the vines already have an animation if they have someone caught in it.

Raining Rainbows lvl 80 ranger ~~~~~ SBI server

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

No need to reveal, the vines already have an animation if they have someone caught in it.

I think the idea is to prevent a thief from simply CnD the vines and casually strolling out of it.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I think the idea is to prevent a thief from simply CnD the vines and casually strolling out of it.

Umm yeah.. maybe I didn’t explain it well enough? I meant with each pulse of entangle the thief/mesmer/whatever receives the revealed debuff to prevent them from stealthing and walking out. If they destroy the vines, or use a skill like withdraw to escape, the revealed debuff should only last another second at most as long as they have moved away from the area.

Seems like this would keep entangle working the way it’s supposed to without hurting anything.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Entangle Vs. Stealth

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

Might take a split second longer but a single maul will free you aswell.