Eura - Current Build

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I don’t know, I think calling BW “on-demand” gives it a bit too much credit. Things like instant activation skills with no situational requirements are on-demand, BW on the other hand is reactive but the only times in which it is on-demand are when these criteria are met:

• The pet F2 is available.
  • The trait itself is off ICD.
  • The targets are within the short radius.

Again, the only argument I’ve made against BW is that I meet other traits criteria of effect more frequently than I meet the criteria for BW’s effect.

If we’re going to start cross examining builds though; what does BW bring for a team that a mediation guardian doesn’t? Or a power block mesmer? Or a control based engi? Or a hammer warrior?

The honest reality is that I can still come up with a ton of other classes I’d run before a ranger if we were talking best in slot comparisons regardless of what the ranger is running, and until some of those options are changed or are toned down, the existence of BW isn’t changing much for the position of a ranger on a team in my opinion.

So once we get past the “everything can do it better right now” reality check, we come to my exact sentiments on the trait; yes, it’s good and it works, but it isn’t gamechanging. It doesn’t revolutionize builds, and it honestly doesn’t even make any “class matchups” all that different than running any other build, although yes, it may make a fight end faster here or there.

The honest truth is that right now, who is going to take a ranger, even a ranger using BW, over a Mesmer/Warrior/Ele/Engi/Thief?

Now, I’m not disputing that most ranger players are going to probably end up with 0/0/6/6/6. It seems pretty obvious to me that aside from specific player preference, it will be the go to trait setup for both power and conditions in PvP. But for me personally, to say that it is better than a 6/0/6/6/0 build or a 0/6/6/6/0 build is definitely pushing it.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

It’s on demand, meaning that it will happen right now! If I say TAUNTING! then people know that target is CC’d. It’s a CC that sets up for teammates burst much easier. Back on The Dankening, Supcutie and I had to deal with calling immobs and fears and other CCs from my pets and then wait for them to actually trigger. A lot can happen during those cast times, this is no longer the case. The best part is that taunt is also unblockable as it is currently which FINALLY gives the ranger somewhat of a role. Taunt can interrupt GS block, gear shield, shelter, warrior block, etc. I’m not sure if that is intended, but its a great (almost necessary mechanic) for rangers.

I was hoping to show some of it in action, but Zeromis (mesmer) and I (using this build) won a 2 v 2 tourney yesterday.
VS:
Mesmer + Ele
Mesmer + Thief
Warrior + Warrior
Warrior + Guard
Warrior + Ele
Ele + Guard
Necro + Ele

Most of the classes were running DPS, some of the eles were running cele, the necro was MM.

The taunt was great for helping to set up bursts with Zeromis and the spike trap was great for peeling. It definitely won us a few match ups. Unfortunately the man streaming it (PHYSIKS!) didn’t have archive on, so I am unaware of any footage of the build in action.

If I was to make a dream team, ranger probably wouldn’t make it, however BW is a nice addition to the ranger kitten nal.

I wanted to note, I think there is a lot of potential with pets and remorseless. Such as old school BM type builds like 6/0/6/0/6 s/t a/d with remorseless and RaO but, stacking might with axe, etc then getting remorseless for those high crit drake hits and like 7k knockdowns or crippling strikes from dogs

(edited by Eurantien.4632)

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Well I guess the point I was making about BW compared to other things that are on demand is that the on demand factor relies entirely on the pet, making the pet being where it needs to be a factor. Whereas an engi using rifle 4 or a mesmers interrupt mantra or thieves sleight of hand steal can literally just be used at the discretion of the user, rangers have to account for an additional factor in that equation which is HOW certain pets use their skills (ie birds will never waste the BW proc because the travel to melee range to use their F2) and the positioning of the pet itself.

I just mean that it isn’t on demand in the sense of “I can press it and it happens” and it much more of “it will happen when I press it, but only if my pet is already in range or else I have to wait for the pet to travel to the target to activate the skill, or cancel the command, or waste the usage otherwise.”

I don’t know, I’m rambling at this point but I hope you get what I mean Eura. The majority of my previous response is more directed at the people going around just throwing Beastly Warden at every discussion without being realistic or even trying to discuss constructively why it is a better option as opposed to it just being a competitive option.

But yes, I don’t think that BW cancelling blocks and going through virtually every defensive utility including evades is an intended mechanic, and I fully expect we’ll see that changed in the future.

Edit: I’ve really liked 6/0/6/0/6 for smaller fights on a power build. You can really just make people eat your damage right now. I mean, to some degree it’s pretty much super broken with the way BW is working right now lol. Super doubtful it’ll avoid the nerfbat. It gets pretty blown up in bigger fights though, especially when competent players figure out the build and Bark Skin gets taken down.

I’ll be very happy when ANet finally gets done rebalancing all of the problems created by the patch and I can personally start to evaluate builds on where they actually might stay for awhile and not have to worry about everything changing on a day to day basis.

(edited by jcbroe.4329)

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

Ya, it’s definitely not as instant on other pets as it is on dogs… Personally I don’t like using it on pets like birds because it does remove some of that instantness since the range has to be essentially 0 for a lot of pets.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

It is on-demand, and unlike most of the skills in gw2, because the taunt is on your pet you can use this skill while your charcter doing to somthing else like being CC, stomping, reviving etc… Its a very stong skill, if you dont use it, you dont know what u’r missing on.
BTW I use it with birds and its all about getting used to, if my pet is not on my target i use F4+F2 combo and it is instant.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I really really really think you people are overestimating a 2 second taunt. Like really!

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

I really really really think you people are overestimating a 2 second taunt. Like really!

M8, it breaks blocks, it breaks stealth, it breaks enemy rotations, it locks the target on pet and u cant re-tab during the effect. Have you even tried it? Its not another little boost, for me its a game changer.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

M8, it breaks blocks, it breaks stealth, it breaks enemy rotations, it locks the target on pet and u cant re-tab during the effect. Have you even tried it? Its not another little boost, for me its a game changer.

This.
Finally an ability with the potential to make Rangers WANTED IN PvP!
That is a unique ability with potential to counter other classes! It’s a mechanic that has the potential to bring Rangers to tournaments!

This can’t be overestimated. But for this to happen – the Ranger has to be skilled in pet awareness, positioning and management as well as keep track of it’s cooldown.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

First of all it is unique for the next 2 months maybe?

Secondly, the ranger was always good in small scale skirmishing 1v1, 2v2 but as soon as it came to team fights, it was a whole different story.

And finally, it puts an ICD on an activated ability, so as far as I am concerned, I will never use it, just how I never used Invigorating bond. ICDs on active abilities are a major NO in my book.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvt Frosty.6973

Pvt Frosty.6973

tl;dr at the bottom ^^

I think you guys are kind of exaggerating both sides.

+ Yes the cc Output of beastly warden is strong, stronger in fact than most other cc skills because it ignores alot of defenses (block, invuln. etc.)
+ Yes it enables your character to do something else all the while executing the cc.
+ Yes it is instant
+ There is currently rather little stability being used in pvp

- The radius is still small, so the effect may be wasted
+ On conquest this may not matter as fights are centered around node Points.

- There is no cooldown visible to us (and I think this is where most of the critique comes from)
+ however most pet variations don’t optimize the icd anyway (double dog f2 on average is once every 13.3 seconds)
- It’s still bound to the pet being alive and in the right place at the right time.

I do get where the Hype Comes from. We finally have a unique ability!!! Yay, now everyone will want us, right?
But I do understand when Chokolata thinks this is getting overestimated. And I kinda agree a bit. While it has coordination potential, and it CAN be disruptive by wasting blocks or invulns, it still is not quite as high Impact as a banner rez or a rampage or a Portal or a teleport.

I think I may have writte a Little much at this Point.

tl;dr yes beastly warden is very strong, but it can and is definitely being overestimated and thus not an absolute MUST in every rangers pvp build, certainly not in solo Queue.
It definitely is however a step in the right direction.

Just Filthy Kasuals – Bowscoooped!
YouTube / Twitch

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

The fact that it goes through blocks will probably be fixed and then it becomes the opposite of fear. We already have ample CC be it soft or hard. Seriously we do.

But the main reason we are not part of team compositions anymore is because we do not have any force multipliers ever since they gutted spirits more then a year ago.

DD cele is a multiplier, hornbow was a multiplier. Engi brought extreme versatility and the thief mesmer combo had huge spikes and innate survivability due to stealth and teleports. Hell, bunker guards are multipliers.

As it stands, our hope, in my opinion, is to encroach on the territory of the engineer. To, after balance tweaks, become a good 1v1 class and one with great versatility. We already are but engi is better.

It is all about roles you see and we just do not have the proper toolkit for a mid anchor or DPS class as of yet. So hybrid it is.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I like it for PvP or dueling but in WvW I run zephyr’s speed for quickness stomps. For me BW is unreliable because I am spamming F2 off cooldown to keep the weakness from wilting strike up.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

@Chokolata.1870

On your points :
“unique for the next 2 months maybe? " From what we know ATM, only revenant is getting a taunt in addition to rangers, even if more classes we’ll get, i think it will be uncommon. Important to note 2 things, 1)Putting it on pet making it much more unpredictable(compared, lets say to the revenant “chain” ability) also taunt on pet make it so the target lock change to pet, in this aspect we are unique, revenant using taunt will not change the target from the revenant , making it less godly.

2)" it puts an ICD on an activated ability, " You have pets with 6 CD on their active ability, if thats what bothers you just take Eagle as pet, its not an issue.

3)“The fact that it goes through blocks will probably be fixed” – We don’t know that, may be by design.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

Because we have a total of 2 pets that have an under 20s f2 ability they placed an ICD on both taunt and invigorating bond. They will nerf BW, trust me.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

@eura why not wilting strike over two handed training?

Surely the extra weakness would be better?

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

there’s not point arguing how essential/amazing BW is for any ranger who wants to be “competitive”. it’s really frustrating at this point. you either see it or you don’t. your build is either useful or it isn’t. rangers in my mmr bracket not running BW are pretty much just rallybait and contribute nothing to their team. other profs bring more damage, more survivability, more everything. so people need to look at their build and ask why they are running it, what is its role?

he probably took 2-handed training to increase his survivability and mobility by having lower GS cooldowns. casting weakness every now and then does nothing for you if youre getting trained. having that swoop or block come off CD earlier makes all the difference.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

@eura why not wilting strike over two handed training?

Surely the extra weakness would be better?

I tend to cancel my F2s a lot so that means the weakness won’t trigger as often. Then if I do use the full F2 and apply weakness they are also getting CCd. By the time the CC chain wears off the weakness duration will probably be gone anyway… Making it not a highly efficient trait for me. So I take greatsword training, a little more fury, a little more damage, and resuced CDs never hurts.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

there’s not point arguing how essential/amazing BW is for any ranger who wants to be “competitive”. it’s really frustrating at this point. you either see it or you don’t. your build is either useful or it isn’t. rangers in my mmr bracket not running BW are pretty much just rallybait and contribute nothing to their team. other profs bring more damage, more survivability, more everything. so people need to look at their build and ask why they are running it, what is its role?

he probably took 2-handed training to increase his survivability and mobility by having lower GS cooldowns. casting weakness every now and then does nothing for you if youre getting trained. having that swoop or block come off CD earlier makes all the difference.

This is the exact problem I have with your viewpoint. You’re spouting nonsense about BW being essential and necessary, and nobody is disputing it’s viability.

The problem is that the burden of proof is entirely on you to prove claims that mention builds without BW not being viable.

I don’t care that you like BW so much. That’s your prerogative and I’m inclined to agree with you on it.

I’m frustrated because you keep calling other builds not competitive, pretty much screaming over and over again “BW is good, take it or you’re bad.”

That isn’t constructive, that isn’t an argument, and when you make blanket claims that are unsupported by reasoning or facts, the burden of proof ends up entirely on you.

To reiterate, you aren’t going to be explaining why BW is good, or saying things like “BW is just the better option.” As a matter of fact, I don’t even want you to respond to me with a single thought about BW because it isn’t relevant. I want you to have a CIVIL DISCUSSION with me and any other people in the thread why no other build is viable or competitive and how you’ve come to that conclusion so quickly and definitively.

Facts, reasoning, pros and cons, opportunity cost explanations. If you give me a good argument, I’m very much inclined to agree with you. But saying arbitrary things like “BW is better” while not even attempting to even support a claim like that is going to fall on deaf ears, so to speak, which is why I’ve requested you don’t even talk about BW at all for what I’m asking of you.

Please don’t get me wrong either, I’m not trying to attack you in any way, I just want you to back up your arguments because it helps everybody in the long run.

At this point though, I have no reason to even believe you’ve tried any different builds since the patch. It seems like you tried BW once, it worked for you, and you’ve dismissed everything else immediately since then and refuse to try other builds or give them any opportunity or merit because they don’t have BW, and you just don’t get to dismiss other builds like that and start calling them uncompetitive without having any scrutiny.

So here’s me scrutinizing your claims, not about BW, but about other builds. Prove me wrong, or prove some of my sentiments right, really, I don’t care which way it goes because I’m not here to be right, I just want you to prove something for the sake of my sanity.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

I was hoping to show some of it in action, but Zeromis (mesmer) and I (using this build) won a 2 v 2 tourney yesterday.

I actually saw those matches yesterday! It’s amazing how great of a peel spike trap is! And you guys had some pretty cool portal usages too.

A few questions. Were you still using travelers runes in the 2v2 fights? Were you seriously playing on 6 FPS the whole time?! And in an ordinary matches, would you still drop the HS for the 1min long regen or would you prefer might stacking from a fire field instead?

Anyways it was pretty cool watching your matches in action. Are you planning on competing in anything else that will be streamed? I only stumbled on that because I was hopping dueling arenas when I saw the 2v2 one up and hopped onto twitch to check it out.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Lomopop.7028

Lomopop.7028

@eura: If the devs add an ICD to Go for the Eyes (lets say 10 sec) so that you can’t cast and cancel, would you still spec into BM?

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

@bloodpyrope

I was using travelers. My FPS is usually around 12-15 FPS, yesterday it was particularly bad so at time it was definitely under 10. Just something I’ve always had to deal with and I am used to it. If we could stack something better then I would not drop the HS for the regen, if I time it right I should still be able to get w bit of regen out. I’m hoping to compete in the future, not sure what venues are open arm though.

@Lomopop, if they did that… I would probably still use it but it would be disappointing

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Please don’t get me wrong either, I’m not trying to attack you in any way, I just want you to back up your arguments because it helps everybody in the long run.

Well youre definitely attacking me because youre bolding statements and calling my assertions nonsense, but I don’t really care. I posted my build and guide in Heim’s thread, so you can go look it up there. I also posted a ton of protips throughout other threads, but it’s always met with the same sort of disbelief. And here you have Eura telling you as well to pick up BW. Fact is, people just dont want to test builds. So I have nothing left to argue.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Fact is, people just dont want to test builds. So I have nothing left to argue.

Then I’m not a person. Definitely.

Truth be told, our taunt currently holds the highest potential.
Of course you don’t need that to be viable in PvP. But if you want to take Ranger instead of other class – Taunt is why will it be the Ranger.

Everyone has damage. Everyone has evades. Everyone has heals. Everyone can do what a Ranger can. Ranger has always been the one to chase after others in everything.
This is the only thing that can Rangers do and others can’t.
Until they say they are changing this. Which I could understand but would disappoint me.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Of course you don’t need that to be viable in PvP. But if you want to take Ranger instead of other class – Taunt is why will it be the Ranger.

well I apologize if I misphrased my assertion, but this is exactly what I wanted to say. it also seems that you did do some testing and youre coming from an informed point of view. and at this point, I wouldn’t mind JROH putting forward some arguments as to why every ranger shouldn’t take BW. you can still run various other trait lines with BM and have different builds.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

@Mistsim;
(going to bold the information parts)
Look, I’m not saying for people to not take BW, I’m just trying to evaluate it realistically when I form an opinion on it.

I was frustrated because, just like this statement here, you seem to think I disagree with you about the power and potential of BW, which I don’t. I even have it in use on more than half of the builds that I’m circulating in and out of testing and crafting around as I go.

I just wanted to know why you think builds that aren’t utilizing BW lack a viable or competitive value.

The things that a 6/0/6/6/0 build can do are provide perma-fury to all teammates in range, pump out better vulnerability stacking than any other classes build that I’m aware of which is personal/team utility, and change damage procs off of remorseless and moment of clarity (you can get guaranteed damages boosts on Maul from Remorseless and using it after Trolls, Pet Swap, and QZ, and I need to figure out if proc’ing MoC then using QZ adds MoC and Remorseless together for a 75% damage hit). It can do all this while having the best survival capabilities of any other zerker/marauder class I’m currently aware of, which will mean more than it seems it does if the one shot mechanics finally start getting toned down (there is no way mesmer and grenadier for engi aren’t getting hit).

The 0/6/6/6/0 build trades that perma-fury and quite a bit of the vulnerability output for the massive utility of having weapon skills a lot more often. I personally think this is the weaker option on a power based build. You do get tons of self utility and it does have a significant enough effect on potential damage output, but you trade everything the other build brings for a team for just spotter really. On a condition set, however, I find quickdraw to be much more valuable. You can pick up twice as much evasion and essentially evasion tank point bunker, arguably with more success than Guardian players trying to make their point bunkering build work again, and certainly more damage. That being said, this setup also still suffers from team support, meaning that your own value to your team is directly reflective of how the enemy team plays against the build and how well you play the build.

Out of both of these options, I’ve already personally concluded that the second one is more gimmick based (at least on the condi front), and a gimmick than can already be more emphasized in a 0/6/6/0/6 build anyhow, and that gimmicks only work as long as people don’t get wise to them. On the power front, I think that earlier in the thread I already mentioned to Eurantien that if I was him I’d swap the build to 0/6/6/0/6, so that alone should show my stance there.

With the 6/0/6/6/0 build though, I have been very back and forth about deciding. On the one hand, BW is great, and taunt is a great utility. On the other hand, it isn’t as though the other build lacks team utility. I don’t know of any classes bringing perma-fury to their whole team or hitting hard while outputting a ton of vuln on a target that will absolutely matter to your other damage dealers, and the build is absolutely no longer as reliant on its team to peel for it when it gets jumped.

On the Taunt front, we have mesmers insta-stunning AoE areas, thieves insta-interrupting and subsequently locking down targets, engis capable of playing decap and therefore capable of controlling areas and targets, Guardians who can still potentially bring wall (staff) and/or ring (hammer) for locking a target (or targets) down and warriors bringing hammer again with it’s AoE control.

On the other build’s front, Mesmers and thieves can both in some way provide themselves near perma-fury, so the benefit of the build becomes stressed on team comps because you aren’t necessarily useful to classes you would commonly +1 with, although to some degree the other classes would benefit from the fury (and other boons but those are less consequential and more common). The the benefit really boils down to just damage output, which at this current point, just take another mesmer is really the consensus, and the ability to survive and not have to get help from the team to peel, which matters, but you’ll still be displaced from the position you were in and benefit your team less in some ways by having to turn attention to what is on you than the team fight you were just in.

So at the end of the day, I’ve only been frustrated with you because I’ve literally needed you to explain your own reasoning, especially when you said you didn’t think things were competitive, while attempting to remain realistic about all of our options.

I’m sorry that you felt attacked, I’m really just trying to gather metrics and come up with some conclusive information here lol. The 5 builds I have been testing are 6/0/6/6/0 strictly power, 0/6/6/6/0 power and condi, 6/0/6/0/6 strictly power, 0/6/6/0/6 power and condi, and 0/0/6/6/6 power and condi.

(edited by jcbroe.4329)

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I notice how powerful healing spring has become with just that one trap trait.
50 secs regen per one cast is really strong.
If add some healing power to it, you can easily maintain a near permanent aoe healing signet :P (around 290 hp/sec when using a settler amulet. For celestial, it’s pretty decent healing too. A nice hybrid option)

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

So at the end of the day, I’ve only been frustrated with you because I’ve literally needed you to explain your own reasoning, especially when you said you didn’t think things were competitive, while attempting to remain realistic about all of our options.

no problem. Beastly Warden is an instant aoe taunt which you can cast every 15s. you can interrupt heals, rezzes, stomps, peel for your teammates, lockdown targets, defend yourself from getting trained down, and in my particular build ensure that spike damage is being landed.

other than spike trap, point blank shot, and maybe healing spring, all other forms of utility the ranger brings to a team fight are tiny and in my opinion insignificant. our damage is average. you mentioned Mesmer interrupts, warrior stuns and thief’s cc, along with the damage they bring. we can actually bring similar damage but less spike (running zerker or situationally with Remorseless with maxed fero), with more survivability and more cc. only Earthshaker is comparable to BW really. I actually prefer BW because we can unload on the taunted target while the taunt is occurring in the pbaoe of the pet.

ive tested most of the builds youre listing, and I know what detailed testing entails because ive done many guides for the community in the past. I did not see value is most of them when comparing the ranger to what others bring. so from my testing, any build not running BW will just be average overall, because the damage we bring is middle of the pack while utility remains worse, if not non-existent.

I like Eura’s build for the Entangle, dogs, Spike Trap and BW. that’s a lot of utility, even though Spike Trap is sometime situational. I don’t like the amulet choice and it seems the build is instagibbed by condi pressure but that’s for him to sort out. however, the CC it brings is some of the best in the game, while damage is at least average.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

I’ve been using maurader with it

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

I’ve been using maurader with it

nice. zerker is just too risky.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Zera.8907

Zera.8907

I’ve been running NM, WS, and MM/Skirm since the patch. I tried NM, WS, BM, in WvW and hilarity ensued when I started trolling people with Beastly Warden, when used properly it just allows you to kitten all over people. Interrupt their combos, interrupt basically anything they try to do and if you time it right and have your CD’s up you can instagib them for it. I do miss Skirm/Marks when I run BM but the things it can allow you to do is just lol.

Blackgate: Zera Mithrandir- Reaper| Zera Targaryen-Mes|Zera Naharis – Ranger|

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

no problem. Beastly Warden is an instant aoe taunt which you can cast every 15s. you can interrupt heals, rezzes, stomps, peel for your teammates, lockdown targets, defend yourself from getting trained down, and in my particular build ensure that spike damage is being landed.

other than spike trap, point blank shot, and maybe healing spring, all other forms of utility the ranger brings to a team fight are tiny and in my opinion insignificant. our damage is average. you mentioned Mesmer interrupts, warrior stuns and thief’s cc, along with the damage they bring. we can actually bring similar damage but less spike (running zerker or situationally with Remorseless with maxed fero), with more survivability and more cc. only Earthshaker is comparable to BW really. I actually prefer BW because we can unload on the taunted target while the taunt is occurring in the pbaoe of the pet.

ive tested most of the builds youre listing, and I know what detailed testing entails because ive done many guides for the community in the past. I did not see value is most of them when comparing the ranger to what others bring. so from my testing, any build not running BW will just be average overall, because the damage we bring is middle of the pack while utility remains worse, if not non-existent.

I like Eura’s build for the Entangle, dogs, Spike Trap and BW. that’s a lot of utility, even though Spike Trap is sometime situational. I don’t like the amulet choice and it seems the build is instagibbed by condi pressure but that’s for him to sort out. however, the CC it brings is some of the best in the game, while damage is at least average.

Thank you and I really am sorry about all the fuss lol. Just write it off as me having a bad day haha.

Out of the builds, I’ve been very drawn to and comfortable with the Wilderness Survival, Nature Magic, and Beastmastery (with BW of course). I find that it gives me everything I want to maximize the utility of the trait split.

The other Trait split I’m really attached to for PvP is the one you posted in Heim’s thread (of course I checked when you said something), with Marksmanship, Wilderness, and Beastmastery. I find it to be more offensive oriented but also more rewarding because of it.

I’m having a hard time liking Skirmishing because I want to run the trap trait with Healing Spring because it’s so good, but with Healing Spring not healing the pet, at the moment I feel like it would be handicapping the build too much. I haven’t been able to give the Quickdraw option (Skirmishing, Wilderness, Beastmastery) a fair opinion because of that yet, though I don’t imagine the build performing all that differently from Marksmanship.

As for the 6/0/6/6/0 split, I pretty much retired it entirely to group play in WvW (I use BW if I’m small group/roaming) which is really a different beast entirely, and where I personally don’t find BW to be as useful in a 20 to 40 man environment. In that environment I’m still working out whether I like the split or whether picking up Zephyr’s Speed would be more beneficial, but that’s neither here nor there for PvP hahaha.

Gotta work on whether or not I like Skirmishing better than Marksmanship. If Healing Spring was working properly it would help -.- I want to be to reliably test whether or not a traited Spring can make Wilderness Knowledge unnecessary, but watching my pet get killed because the skill is bugged is beyond frustrating.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

Hey thanks eura for this build, ive been stuckk too trying to find the right lb build, had been thinking about getting away froms marks cuz lead the wind didnt really offer much for me that i couldnt just get from quickdraw. ive been wrecking face with this one.

1. Spike trap with the lower cooldown is just beastly, especially for chaining together cc. It makes people panic, and lets i know when a theif is there
2. Spring is rediculous with regen stacking. Put it down at the start of match and give your team a minute of regen. great on point if u can afford to jump in for sec.
3. Traveler runes are a great choice for me that i had not thought of using.
4. I had been using wolf owl for beastly warden, and have switched to hound. Though i do like owls f2 burst, i dont like how they spend 2 seconds giving swiftness at the start of each fight. well see on this one though, they are borth good to me.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: singinggecko.5736

singinggecko.5736

Idk if you’re still following this thread, but with the recent changes to taunt, do you still think the inclusion of the beastmastery line will still be worth it for your build?

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

I don’t know, it is still a good trait, so probably. I might just go into marksmanship instead of BM…

Then again, shouldn’t we all just play mesmer?

I guess we just wait and hope Melandru delivers the druid of our dreams.

+ something is seriously wrong with healing spring

(edited by Eurantien.4632)

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Mia Crazymike.1780

Mia Crazymike.1780

I don’t know, it is still a good trait, so probably. I might just go into marksmanship instead of BM…

I want you inside of me.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Sube Dai.8496

At least they left go for the eyes alone. That makes bm better than marks for me.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Kreed.2768

Kreed.2768

I want you inside of me.

Down, girl, down!

Lover of longbow rangers.
Party Hard in GW2!
My YouTube Channel!

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

To me the answer is more GS buffs. Autoattack needs a boost and Hilt Bash only has 220 range while stating 300 making it way too hard to connect. If they just straight out improve this kind of stuff and maybe atleast add SOME utility with druid’s new utility skills then we might be fine?

Mesmer also will be tuned down I think. Their rotation and uptime of “being invis, evading or not targetable for other reasons” is insane right now. In the end it is just not fair to throw skills like portal or on demand teleports at certain classes and leave others with nothing.

I mean I get that they wont bring teleporting to everyone to keep some distinction between classes but their would be other unique things that ranger could get.

Seeing skills that nobody ever uses at 85s cooldown STILL after their “big rework of everything” makes it hard to take their pvp ambitions serious though.

Btw this is a suggestion I made for Guard in another thread. Speaking about stuff that would actually improve the class.

Guard [30s cooldown]

Command your pet to guard target area aggressively over the next 30 seconds. During this time you gain ‘Return to pet’.

Return to pet [sequence]

Activate to instantly move to your pet’s location. Breaks stun.

Guard cooldown starts when activating ‘Return to pet’ or when the pet dies or after 30 seconds.

Your opinion?

(edited by Dojo.1867)

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Guard [30s cooldown]

Command your pet to guard target area aggressively over the next 30 seconds. During this time you gain ‘Return to pet’.

Return to pet [sequence]

Activate to instantly move to your pet’s location. Breaks stun.

Guard cooldown starts when activating ‘Return to pet’ or when the pet dies or after 30 seconds.

Your opinion?

That would actually make Ranger viable (yet, still not OP). Not going to happen.
A mechanic that would allow the Ranger only to go back to a higher ground or get back onto a node-point? No, that sounds like too of a needed ability.

We are Rangers. Not Thieves or Mesmers who can do that without sacrificing 30% of their existence (DPS, and abilities such as Signets included).

No, actually that would solve most of PvP problems we have. The mechanic is way too good to come to reality. A-net thinks that 2200 heal on a 20 cooldown is powerful (because we are rangers). What would they think if this ability?

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Mia Crazymike.1780

You know, we all say ArenaNet, but ArenaNet consist of human beings. With emotions. I feel bad for them sometimes. That’s why we should pinpoint the specific human being who is allowing such patches and/or changes.

Probably Josh.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Elorna.5329

Elorna.5329

You know, we all say ArenaNet, but ArenaNet consist of human beings. With emotions. I feel bad for them sometimes. That’s why we should pinpoint the specific human being who is allowing such patches and/or changes.

Probably Josh.

I’m 90% sure it’s Peters. Too much of a “warrior must be the measuring stick for everyone else” about him. Ever since GW1, when warriors actually were good measuring sticks.

The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I wouldn’t mind Warrior being the measuring stick for everyone, that would be great!

Ranger: Doesn’t measure up, buff it.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Sube Dai.8496

Rangers actually got some good survivability buf. More boons, more defensive utilities, more reduction modifiers, more healing…

..too bad we’re now in a burst meta.

If it was still the sustain meta we’d be fine. However, all of the new defensive skills, which are great, are useless.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

Rangers actually got some good survivability buf. More boons, more defensive utilities, more reduction modifiers, more healing…

..too bad we’re now in a burst meta.

If it was still the sustain meta we’d be fine. However, all of the new defensive skills, which are great, are useless.

Not exactly, with the combo of bark skin and protective ward, a zerker ranger can take an initial burst better than sentinel guardian.

While lots of builds of other professions struggle to not die from 2hit thief or mesmer(the reason vampirism rune is so popular ATM) ranger can take it like a boos and not fall under 70% hp.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Probably Josh.

I’m a realist. ArenaNet is a company of people who made a MMORPG game. With several classes and tried to make it equal class and spec-wise. That was their initial goal. And it’s their job to manage their staff and agree on it as a company. The game is not a product of 1 person.

But they failed. If they are in a position where they feel bad about their work not being appreciated – it’s the risk they knew they are going to take. Thousands and thousands of players are being pushed out/back from the community, because anyone who isn’t playing Ele/Warrior is considered bad.
And trust me, I know that in reality – we are bad. We are meaninglessly try-harding to play a luckluster class that has the worst mechanic glued to our existence – AI – to compete classes that do it with a single button press. And do it better.

Yes, of course that means we are bad, because even if we try 5 times harder we won’t get the results of an Ele. Ever.

And ArenaNet had done nothing to address this abuse. For several years – 2 classes has been dominating every single game mode from PvE,PvP and WvW and they do not care. The community (me included) are not satisfied – because the goal of this game was supposed to be “equal game-play”.

Rangers still don’t have any purpose in this game apart from PvE frost Spotter. In every other game mode it’s “I like the class”. Especially PvP.
Yes, we can survive the initial burst, but we have none. Making this benefit pointless. Ele survives the burst too, heals up easier and provides better DPS/Utility/Support than a Ranger anyday. And on an AoE basis.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

@Dojo, I have mentioned that exact thing to the devs before…

It would be an awesome change but isn’t one I expect to come to fruition.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

At this point mesmer and thief have gotten so much of that stuff. One skill should be fair to also give ranger some ways to effectively compete in spvp.

Also consider that with druid the ranger role shifts anyway more from a skirmisher to a magic user so I guess chances are higher we get utility stuff. One can hope. Guard would just make so much sense if it worked like that …

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Mia Crazymike.1780

But Rangers can’t receive such a teleportation like that. Come on now, I understand if we shapeshift into a crow/eagle/owl/hawk and swoop/glide/fly to our pet’s location, but not just teleport out of the shadows

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

There should just be a swap places with pet skill.

Eura - Current Build

in Ranger

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Can we see some gameplay

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore