Experienced PvE Rangers!

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: nxk.1932

nxk.1932

Hello rangers,
I need advice about PvE build on my ranger. I already have 30/30/0/10 with activate signets (stone, wild and hunt) berserker stats and scholars in gear. I using this build in fractals (20lvl+), dungeons and in livings etc. But I had build 25/20/0/25 with frost spirit but without too many crit. dmg and with runes of ranger with less power.

What do you think about that?
Thanks for every advice.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Signet builds aren’t really helpful for the team, and are usually pretty selfish (with the exception of maybe signet of renewal). Due to way boons work in this game, you’re going to want atleast 15 points in nature magic, so that your pet can get past the 5 target limit and receive boons. The skirmishing grandmaster minor trait is also much stronger than the marksmanship grandmaster minor trait, especially without remorseless. Scholar runes are also better than Ranger runes.

Basically, the only 2 viable builds for rangers are 30/25/0/15/0 and 20/25/0/25/0

(edited by TurtleDragon.3108)

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: Virtuslumen.2541

Virtuslumen.2541

Signet builds aren’t really helpful for the team, and are usually pretty selfish (with the exception of maybe signet of renewal). Due to way boons work in this game, you’re going to want atleast 15 points in nature magic, so that your pet can get past the 5 target limit and receive boons. The skirmishing grandmaster minor trait is also much stronger than the marksmanship grandmaster minor trait, especially without remorseless. Scholar runes are also better than Ranger runes.

Basically, the only 2 viable builds for rangers are 30/25/0/15/0 and 20/25/0/25/0

What traits would you suggest for both builds?

Im working on a LB/GS build right now.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

Marksmanship: I, VII, (XII if 30 pts)
Skirmishing: I, (V or X)
Nature Magic: IV, (V or VII or IX if 25 pts)

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Virtuslumen.2541

Marksmanship: I, VII, (XII if 30 pts)
Skirmishing: I, (V or X)
Nature Magic: IV, (V or VII or IX if 25 pts)

Thanks, I will definitely take this into consideration.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Longbow sucks in PvE, GS is only useful if u can´t use the 1handed sword.

Nature magic Traits are usually not fix. U can or should switch them sometimes, depending on the current situation/weaponchoice/boss/pet.
20/25/0/25/0 is the better build, more dps and more support. 30 in MM are pretty useless, u´ll get opening only back if adds will die, usally trash is dying at the same time.
So no support benefit here. And 20/25/0/25/0 is doing more dps vs bosses.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Virtuslumen.2541

Longbow sucks in PvE, GS is only useful if u can´t use the 1handed sword.

Nature magic Traits are usually not fix. U can or should switch them sometimes, depending on the current situation/weaponchoice/boss/pet.
20/25/0/25/0 is the better build, more dps and more support. 30 in MM are pretty useless, u´ll get opening only back if adds will die, usally trash is dying at the same time.
So no support benefit here. And 20/25/0/25/0 is doing more dps vs bosses.

The LB may suck in PvE , but its what i like to use. I think the GS is cool too. For “support”, i will most likely get piercing arrows. If i truly want to support in PvE, ill use my engi or guard.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Norjena.5172

But u can´t do decent dps with LB/GS. Guard/engineer can do more.

Spotter/Frost (probably Earth) spirit are must have to be a viable partymember in dungeons/fractals and even open world (u can switch spotter to something else if u fight “building” bosses like Mark 2 Golem).

I like to play GS too (well i´ve got twilight on my ranger), but it´s a horribel stand alone weapon. It´s sometimes usefull, but usually the sword can do anything better.

(edited by Norjena.5172)

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

I use GS only for max melee range fights, and for skipping trash mostly. GS/LB isn’t really a good combo.

If i truly want to support in PvE, ill use my engi or guard.

This isn’t really the attitude to take into a group environment, you always want to make yourself as useful as possible to a group in dungeons. Rangers are great offensive support and “okay” defensive support.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

The LB may suck in PvE , but its what i like to use.

The defence of every Bearbow, cleric staff guard, shout heal warr and what-not…

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

LB really does suck. I had a long talk with a Ranger that only plays Ranger (over 2k hours ) abotu how superior warrior longbow is and he just didnt want to hear it. LB SEEMS like its good, but it has nothing on shortbow. Also, LB and GS together seems good at first, but they two have no synergy

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Virtuslumen.2541

I’m trying to roleplay, not min/max.

My synergy with both weapons are this: LB max ranged for damage, when fountain heal is up, i leap with my GS to heal my party on boss, run through all GS moves. Rinse Repeat.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

My synergy with both weapons are this: LB max ranged for damage, when fountain heal is up, i leap with my GS to heal my party on boss, run through all GS moves. Rinse Repeat.

That’s synergy with Healing Spring, not synergy between your weapons. Your longbow does less damage the closer you are to your target. A GS rotation brings you into the longbow’s weak spot, and doesnt bring you out unless you waste the #3 skill hitting nothing. Your longbow’s strong point is 1200 range, which leaves you and the rest of your party out of range of most skills (including the leap heal)

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Virtuslumen.2541

That’s synergy with Healing Spring, not synergy between your weapons. Your longbow does less damage the closer you are to your target. A GS rotation brings you into the longbow’s weak spot, and doesnt bring you out unless you waste the #3 skill hitting nothing. Your longbow’s strong point is 1200 range, which leaves you and the rest of your party out of range of most skills (including the leap heal)

So what is your suggested build? In full.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBMhF6koiqKjswKIWLDELF7Z/cGHKReGl6UZ8TJyeA-jwBBYfERjkfgUBDRLzsIasFXFRjVXDT5iIqGA-e
or
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/84268-the-perfect-dps-ranger-guide-for-real/

You’ll need to change your weapons, utilities and even your pets for the content you are doing. There are times and places where it’s appropriate to use a Longbow, but usually never when you’re stacking (because why use a ranged weapon when you’re in melee range anyways. Since ranged weapons are almost universally across the board lower damage and don’t cleave which makes them bad for trash). Sword will take a while to get used to, as it has a steep learning curve. GS is fine when you’re still learning how to melee encounters. Pure sword > pure GS > pure LB should be your priority when picking weapons.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Virtuslumen.2541

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBMhF6koiqKjswKIWLDELF7Z/cGHKReGl6UZ8TJyeA-jwBBYfERjkfgUBDRLzsIasFXFRjVXDT5iIqGA-e
or
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/84268-the-perfect-dps-ranger-guide-for-real/

You’ll need to change your weapons, utilities and even your pets for the content you are doing. There are times and places where it’s appropriate to use a Longbow, but usually never when you’re stacking (because why use a ranged weapon when you’re in melee range anyways. Since ranged weapons are almost universally across the board lower damage and don’t cleave which makes them bad for trash). Sword will take a while to get used to, as it has a steep learning curve. GS is fine when you’re still learning how to melee encounters. Pure sword > pure GS > pure LB should be your priority when picking weapons.

So this is coming from a max dps perspective im assuming? What other suggestions would you have?

Thanks so far for what you have given, it all helps.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

or

So this is coming from a max dps perspective im assuming? What other suggestions would you have?

Made this for you
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBjYD7koiqKjswKIWLDErH7Z//hz4QFyfoUZc3JyeA-jwBBYfERzkfwUBDRLzsIasFXFRjVXDT5iIqGA-e
LB + s/wh is a balanced set. Use sword for trash, stacking or when your entire party is meleeing the boss. LB for everything else.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Virtuslumen.2541

or

Made this for you
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBjYD7koiqKjswKIWLDErH7Z//hz4QFyfoUZc3JyeA-jwBBYfERzkfwUBDRLzsIasFXFRjVXDT5iIqGA-e
LB + s/wh is a balanced set. Use sword for trash, stacking or when your entire party is meleeing the boss. LB for everything else.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Im definitely trying out some of the things you suggested. Been playing ranger for a while, but havent really been “thinking” about what can be done better with it.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

The LB 2 deals great opening damage, thx to the vulnerability you will stack. However, after that you are pretty useless. The LB is only good if traited and for AoE if you need be ranged or simply can’t facetank with the party. It’s compareable to the mesmer GS (situational).

this

As for weapons:

Top Tier:

• Sword mh (simply the best weapon for highest dps, remove aa chain)
  • Axe oh (extremly high damage, pull, vulnerability, reflection, rampage as one support for skill 5)
  • Horn oh (i feel furious, single target dps, rampage as one support for skill 4)

Situational:

• Dagger oh (good single target damage, long evade on short cd)
  • Axe mh (you need cleave range and wanna keep your offhand, fire fields in team)
  • SB (you need to kite single target)
  • LB (traited, aoe, long range, for “do not touch” enemies only, high level fotm fire ele for example)

Meh:

• GS (simply bad dps, no offhand (horn / axe hitting harder))
  • Torch oh (just a fire field, others do better. Horn is a better support)
Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

or

If you want to be the most useful you can be to your party follow this. I use the 20/25/0/25/0 exclusively outside of Wvw/Spvp (mostly cos im lazy lol) and only change a few traits and utilities here and there. For instance on the marionette lanes i would switch sic’em for muddy terrain to use on the spawning champs.

One thing i will mention is the pets. In the 20/25/0/25/0 build posted you will notice that there is the jaguar and river drake. The jaguar is excellent as it’s F2 attack stealths (deagro when health low) but also provides higher DPS and autocrits for the duration. The river drake’s F2 ability hits like a truck AND bounces around targets, this is excellent for groups of mobs like trash etc, it also has a blast finisher with its tail swipe (also hits hard) so its good in the stack.

However, depending on your party make up you may want to consider 1 or 2 other pets. This will depend on how well you know other classes and their builds as you may notice that your party is lacking in important (dps wise) boons such as fury or might. The stalker’s F2 ability grants 5 stacks of might which synergize well with the build, general DPS wise its the same as the jaguar hence why alot of people run the 2 cats. The Moa provides Fury from its F2 and this may be necessary when your not using horn or its party wide lacking.

So this is why people dislike the “bearbow” gameplay as not only is the weapon lacking in this type of content but also the pet and it’s F2 abilities.

Just remember, hater’s gonna hate…but they also gonna kick

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Neo pretty much thinks the same as me about the ranger and his pets. I just don’t like the river drake … it’s so ugly too ugly to be used xD I guess the other aoe drake (swamp thing however it’s called xD) is pretty much the same damage wise :P Oh yea, and I use the cave spider for ranged dps with weakness + vulnerability.

But seriously everyone, how do you keep the cats alive? AoE fields, getting aggroes often, places like TA (blossoms), fotm where they get almost instant oneshotted by some attacks. The terrible thing is that F3 doesnt seem to work fast enough, aswell the stupid pet is allways staying too far away from you. I want it right next to me

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

good guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGtY69tcek
I use this with minor changes, since i just run HotW with my ranger.
Utilities and Elite are the same, but i use the 20/25/0/25/0 with Spirits unbound.
I use SwordWarhorn(Trash/Champion)/ShortBow(for Ginva) Full zerk with schollars.
And for pets really this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Busting-the-Myth-of-Useless-Pets/first

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

(edited by RSLongK.8961)

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

or

If you want to be the most useful you can be to your party follow this. I use the 20/25/0/25/0 exclusively outside of Wvw/Spvp (mostly cos im lazy lol) and only change a few traits and utilities here and there. For instance on the marionette lanes i would switch sic’em for muddy terrain to use on the spawning champs.

One thing i will mention is the pets. In the 20/25/0/25/0 build posted you will notice that there is the jaguar and river drake. The jaguar is excellent as it’s F2 attack stealths (deagro when health low) but also provides higher DPS and autocrits for the duration. The river drake’s F2 ability hits like a truck AND bounces around targets, this is excellent for groups of mobs like trash etc, it also has a blast finisher with its tail swipe (also hits hard) so its good in the stack.

However, depending on your party make up you may want to consider 1 or 2 other pets. This will depend on how well you know other classes and their builds as you may notice that your party is lacking in important (dps wise) boons such as fury or might. The stalker’s F2 ability grants 5 stacks of might which synergize well with the build, general DPS wise its the same as the jaguar hence why alot of people run the 2 cats. The Moa provides Fury from its F2 and this may be necessary when your not using horn or its party wide lacking.

So this is why people dislike the “bearbow” gameplay as not only is the weapon lacking in this type of content but also the pet and it’s F2 abilities.

The build I linked is what I use in guild speed clears, where might/fury is never an issue and I just blast my WH in a fire field while stacking might. I use the Jungle Stalker instead of Jaguar in PUGs and I use Ice drake/Red Moa instead of river drake as the swap pet.

This is the basic pet guide I’ve posted a few times here.
Jaguar:Use for single target fights
River Drake: Use for trash and multi target fights or for blast finisher. Use ice/marsh/salamander drakes if you want chilled/poison/burning
Jungle Stalker: Use for single target fights and when your party is not reaching 25 might stacks
Red Moa: Use for singlet target and when your party doesn’t have perma fury for some reason
Birds do identical DPS to felines if you prefer those.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Virtuslumen.2541

or

Yeah ive always used the jungle stalker for its buffs, but I didnt know about how good the jaguar was. Im gonna try using that in my rotation.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

OP’s trying to run 20+ fracts and isn’t Sword-Warhorn?
How’d he get on enough teams to even get that high? Paying gold??

GuildCarry2 strikes again

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: Raiff.6742

Raiff.6742

OR you can do like me. Wear Assassin’s gear, trait 30/30/0/10/0 and go LB/SB with traps traited for ground targeting. Tear up everything in sight from long range to short range and just have a dandy of a time.

Want to help the group and be less awesome on DPS? Go straight spirits with LB/GS and Clerics gear for giggles. Heal, buff, and do some minor DPS as you rock through the instances.

I tried the “For the group” style of play. Know what I learned? No one cares. Unless the mobs are dying quick, the Mesmer will compete for highest DPS against the Warrior and Thief. All while telling you how bad you suck. So if you like Ranger, pick a style you enjoy, and rock out with that. Because none of these keyboard bashing monkeys will care about your enjoyment, that is up to you.

Peace.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

25 into wilderness is better then into skirmishing. Play 30 0 25 15 0. OH training so good with OH axe

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Norjena.5172

25 into wilderness is better then into skirmishing. Play 30 0 25 15 0. OH training so good with OH axe

Ehm? No!

- 250 Precision ~ 11% critical chance
- 25% critical dmg
- 30% petcritical dmg
- Might (or heal) for your pet

U get….a bit CD reduction wich isn worth taking in PvE and…protection, but that´s it.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

Seriously stop it with brainless copy pasting builds that have been the meta 2 months ago. The loss of dps is minimal compared to the utility you gain from traited offhand training.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

Seriously stop it with brainless copy pasting builds that have been the meta 2 months ago. The loss of dps is minimal compared to the utility you gain from traited offhand training.

Here we go with the copy/paste thing again…

In the past 2+ months, there hasn’t been any major balance change to both the ranger class, and the AI/mechanics of this game, so the meta is still the same. It’s not brainless if you understand why it’s the meta, stop assuming everyone is uninformed or doesn’t know how to spreadsheet or math out things.

It’s also a gigantic dps loss, stop calling it minimal.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

The Ranger is NEVER brought to the party for DPS, the ranger is brought for support/utility. If you are doing CoF 1 where every encounter is single target then by all means, spec for that.

OH training is too good to pass over for any organized group

Also, you are basing this on math for the ranger where a good chunk of your DPS is single target only (pet)? The boost in damage you gain from increased reflect coverage, lower path of scars/COTW/whirling defense is far superior then the measly boost from your own crit chance/damage, which is BY DEFAULT of lower gains then for other classes.

spotter, frost spirit, good fury, utility. That is why you are brought over a second warrior. A proper group will keep might high and your pet will get it via fortifying bond, so you dont need pet might on crit.

As far as your own DPS goes, single target DPS is far lower then both warriors and thiefs, and it is not effective in a lot of situations as you have to stand still and whack away.

(edited by Chokolata.1870)

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

The Ranger is NEVER brought to the party for DPS, the ranger is brought for support/utility. If you are doing CoF 1 where every encounter is single target then by all means, spec for that.

OH training is too good to pass over for any organized group

Also, you are basing this on math for the ranger where a good chunk of your DPS is single target only (pet)? The boost in damage you gain from increased reflect coverage, lower path of scars/COTW/whirling defense is far superior then the measly boost from your own crit chance/damage, which is BY DEFAULT of lower gains then for other classes.

spotter, frost spirit, good fury, utility. That is why you are brought over a second warrior. A proper group will keep might high and your pet will get it via fortifying bond, so you dont need pet might on crit.

As far as your own DPS goes, single target DPS is far lower then both warriors and thiefs, and it is not effective in a lot of situations as you have to stand still and whack away.

If that were true, organized groups wouldn’t even bring a ranger in the first place. DPS matters, and rangers that don’t build like you are competitive enough to be worth bringing one. 5% less dps than warriors is not “far lower”, and most classes are “far lower” DPS if you compare them to thieves and eles.

Offhand training in organized groups is laughable for most situations. There’s a few situations where it would be used such kitten ranger Lupicus, but no organized speed clear would take offhand training for general dungeoning.

Path of scars has a long cooldown, your fights need to last a minute before you gain an extra activation of the skill, which at that point the gain is laughable if the fight is taking that long. It’s not something that’s easily going to even remotely compete with 25 in skirmishing. Whirling defense is also a channeled ability that does less DPS than auto attacking and requires you to stand still. Call of the wild is also a DPS loss compared to auto attacking, unless you use it while out of range of your target.

Might from fortifying bond only lasts 10s, so your pet is not going to sustain might stacks without you giving it might.

~39% base crit is too low to have any sort of reasonable DPS.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

For curiosity’s sake, mind telling me what comp you consider an optimal one?

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

For curiosity’s sake, mind telling me what comp you consider an optimal one?

Casual Non-PUG Runs:
1 Ele
1 Warrior
1 Ranger
1 Guardian
1 Mesmer

Speed Clear Records:
1-2 Eles
1-2 Warrior
0-1 Thief
0-1 Mesmers
0-1 Guardians
Composition will vary depending on the dungeon. (ie. 2 ele 1 thief 1 war 1 guard for TA)

Keep in mind, there is a very clear difference between wanting to go for a world record on gwscr, and wanting to do content fast and efficiently.

(edited by TurtleDragon.3108)

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

Actually, TA UP record was done with a mesmer which ported the party directly onto the spider :p

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

Actually, TA UP record was done with a mesmer which ported the party directly onto the spider :p

http://gwscr.com/records/current-meta-dungeon-records
Current record is done with 2 eles, 1 war, 1 thief, 1 guardian for both unrestricted and restricted.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Raiff.6742

This reminds me why I only run instances as a casual or play WoW. The “you must be this class and this spec to run with us” mentality that permeates most MMOs. Don’t know why Devs bother making classes for the game. Should just have a set group of characters with preset builds for instances. That seems to be the mentality of people like the majority posting in this thread. IT’S A GAME! YOU’RE NOT BEING PAYED TO PLAY IT! Just grab folks and have fun.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

This reminds me why I only run instances as a casual or play WoW. The “you must be this class and this spec to run with us” mentality that permeates most MMOs. Don’t know why Devs bother making classes for the game. Should just have a set group of characters with preset builds for instances. That seems to be the mentality of people like the majority posting in this thread. IT’S A GAME! YOU’RE NOT BEING PAYED TO PLAY IT! Just grab folks and have fun.

And that’s perfectly okay if you want to play that way. But the issue is when people of conflicting playstyles, mindsets or goals group together. People with your attitude (not saying you) will join Berserker-melee-speed-clear runs without wanting to play that way, and complain about it. The opposite is also a problem, where people who want to speed through content will join casual runs, or description less groups (ie. “P1”).

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Raiff.6742

I agree turtledragon. However, I think when someone on forums asks “this is the weapon set I like, how can I maximize efficiency?” It reflects poorly on the player base to see responses (like most of those in this thread) of “Those weapons suck, no player should use those, I wouldn’t even take a ranger into fractals anyway.”

Why not instead say “well those aren’t the best weapon set, but if that’s what you like, then get X gear and spec X style for best DPS.” Seems to me everyone is so set on being the accepted spec and less interested on trying new things or challenging themselves by making the best of a style they prefer.

Experienced PvE Rangers!

in Ranger

Norjena.5172

There is no problem if some1 says “i play X because i like it even if i know other builds are better”.
But usually people are saying “i play X because it´s better then Y, or your Meta is out of date and so on”.
Which is (most times) a lie. That´s the problem here.

If u don´t like the mainhand sword (for example) it´s ok, if u like wilderness survival traits it´s ok. But don´t tell others that GS (or Axe MH) + WS is better then sword + metabuild. Just as an example.