Explain Sword Root?

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

All ways some people who have to come into a thread and argue of issues which if change would make game better. And why do they argue? Not for anything other than try to boost their E-gos. Telling others they need to learn to play etc. If someone does not like how Sword attack chain works disagree with them but don’t resort to whole “silver platter” BS. Yea talking to Hi-tech. Stop using the GW2 forums as your own personal self esteem booster. If really need to tell others how good you are on a forum and that they need to learn to play better, you really need to take a look at your real life and wonder why this is and then fix it.

Ah, we’re all okay. The funny thing I just noticed is how old this thread is!

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

Ya know… I’ve come to accept and work around the sword root. My problem is actually the #2 skill. In order for it to be affective in combat, the person has to be running towards you after you jump back the first time. Otherwise, if they move slightly farther away from you, your leap forward will not go far enough to hit them.

So in the end, all it’s good for, is a clumsy and harder than necessary escape maneuver.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: kesuh.3891

kesuh.3891

But why bring a 2 months old thread to the surface again?
People caught the bait ^.^

[keen] Far Shiverpeaks Eu-server
Sorel→~Saga/Ranger~Shadow/Guardian~Balthazor/Warrior

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Actually. you can use the 2 skill to leap towards people right away too, just deselect the target and turn 180 degrees. Easily allows you to catch up to your target. Or, if it’s on cooldown, you can even use your dagger 5-skill to cripple at range. Sword/dagger is great for sticking to targets as long as they don’t have too much of a head start.

HAHAHHAHA LOL deselect. turn 180 degrees. skill 2. sorry this actually made me laugh. i dont think itll be faster than holding down W, especially if ure using signet of hunt.
i have a love/hate relationship with the sword right now. its great, but ive been thrown off cliffs by it before or unable to dodge properly. will give deselecting auto-attack a go. ty! (tho, itd still be nice if Anet can tweak the sword so it doesnt root)

Keybind a button for about face and turn off autoattack, I’ll go from the front to the back of enemy lines in about 1 second using sword and the method described. Don’t underestimate the actions per minute of good players.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: capuchinseven.8395

capuchinseven.8395

Actually. you can use the 2 skill to leap towards people right away too, just deselect the target and turn 180 degrees. Easily allows you to catch up to your target. Or, if it’s on cooldown, you can even use your dagger 5-skill to cripple at range. Sword/dagger is great for sticking to targets as long as they don’t have too much of a head start.

HAHAHHAHA LOL deselect. turn 180 degrees. skill 2. sorry this actually made me laugh. i dont think itll be faster than holding down W, especially if ure using signet of hunt.
i have a love/hate relationship with the sword right now. its great, but ive been thrown off cliffs by it before or unable to dodge properly. will give deselecting auto-attack a go. ty! (tho, itd still be nice if Anet can tweak the sword so it doesnt root)

Please learn to keybind the “about face” button others (not aimed at you directly) should stop assuming because they are bad and ineffective with ranger, then we all are. It never ceases to amaze me how people are so loud about how bad this class is, and yet barely understand the basics of using a ranger.

The bravest animal in the land is Captain Beaky and his band.

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Sword deal amazing damage & sticks you to your target like glue. Downside: rooted and can’t dodge. Well I have a solution for you…and it’s built right into the weapon. Use #2 & #3. Those are your dodges. And they dodge while dealing damage, deal conditions, don’t use up endurance, and one’s a leap finisher.

So we get a weapon which sticks us to our crippled target automatically and we get 2 damage dealing dodge skills built in….what’s not to love???

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: capuchinseven.8395

capuchinseven.8395

Sword deal amazing damage & sticks you to your target like glue. Downside: rooted and can’t dodge. Well I have a solution for you…and it’s built right into the weapon. Use #2 & #3. Those are your dodges. And they dodge while dealing damage, deal conditions, don’t use up endurance, and one’s a leap finisher.

So we get a weapon which sticks us to our crippled target automatically and we get 2 damage dealing dodge skills built in….what’s not to love???

Apparently everything, I dunno what to say. We have, as you said a skill that sticks you to a target like glue and at least two evades that don’t cost endurance and apparently anyone that says it’s not only fine, but great is lying or “just not getting it” like for some reason we don’t all play the same PVE, the same players in sPVP and a wide range of servers in WvW.

I’d be very upset if sword 1 was changed and we lost some of what makes it great just because some people just can’t play ranger and are unwilling to accept the problem with sword 1, is with them.

The bravest animal in the land is Captain Beaky and his band.

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

Just allow us to have dodge rolls interrupt the chain. That’s all I ask.

If we can’t move normally because we’re “stuck” to a target, fine. I get that. In fact, I like being stuck to my target. All I ask is that if other abilities can stop the chain, why can’t a dodge roll?

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

If we can’t move normally because we’re “stuck” to a target, fine. I get that. In fact, I like being stuck to my target. All I ask is that if other abilities can stop the chain, why can’t a dodge roll?

This.

(edited by Hoyvin.3241)

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: DancinPuppeh.8421

DancinPuppeh.8421

I like the root, it allows you to stick onto an enemy no matter what situation, cause you’re leaping on them, it’s great for a fleeing enemy especially combined with the cripple it does.

(Tip: Disable the auto attack and it’s not as bad when you need to dodge or heal)

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: archerT.1935

archerT.1935

This.

To expand, a couple things… first, Hornet’s Sting is much more situational than dodge-rolling due to terrain restraints and the need to use its follow-up skill as a leap back in to combat. The Monarch’s Leap skill also has a relatively short window of effective use and there have been many times where I have tried to use Sting —> Warhorn #4 (birdswarm thing) --→ Monarch’s Leap , and been unable to do so because the timer on the #2 attack chain had expired. Tactically, you basically have to use Sting—>Leap almost back-to-back. Your other alternative is to use Hornet’s Sting and switch to a ranged weapon once the animation is complete. It is, in most ways, NOT a functional replacement to a dodge roll – the basic evasive maneuver of all classes where the only restriction is player endurance.

Serpent’s Strike is less problematic, but still feels unresponsive as a dodge/attack built in to one button. On my Thief main (D/D condition build), I can time my Leaping Death Blossoms and they feel almost immediately responsive when compared to SS. If we weren’t supposed to use dodge roll while using the sword’s #1 chain, they could have made 2 and 3 more responsive.

So, TLDR… Sword 2 and 3 are not replacements for the inability to dodge, they are different tactical maneuvers with different limitations and potential applications. And not being able to dodge within the main attack chain is bad, and aNet should feel bad that this is still the case so far into the game’s growth.

P.S. Save my pet names while you’re at it!

Armond Sinclaire – Human Guardian
Milloy – Human Thief
Blademaster Karo – Sylvari Warrior

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

deepwinter.9015

(Tip: Disable the auto attack and it’s not as bad when you need to dodge or heal)

I’d like to assume everyone and their mother knows about this “tip.”

What I’d like to say here is that it still adds up to a sorry work-around for a mechanic that shouldn’t be there in the first place. As a PvPer, my fingers are already working overtime to manage both movement/abilities on my keyboard and abilities/camera on my mouse. I don’t need the extra carpal tunnel risks induced by mashing a key.

“Auto attack off” is just a band-aid on an open wound.

Tarnished Coast

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

deepwinter.9015

Hornet’s Sting is much more situational than dodge-rolling due to terrain restraints and the need to use its follow-up skill as a leap back in to combat.

Six-forbid you attempt to Monarch Leap from a higher elevation. You end up missing the target completely and not getting a combo finisher – but the same is also true for Warrior’s Sword 2.

What really annoys me about people who say our Sword 2 is an evade is the delay in Hornet’s Sting. The “evade” portion of it triggers 1 second after the initial attack animation (the bees stinging). This is not an “on-demand” evade in any sense of the word.

“Oh, but deep, you need to time it be—” SHUT THE KITTEN UP! How am I suppose to time an opponent’s attack that takes less than a second to fire off? Spider Sense? When I want to dodge a Thief’s Heartseeker or a Warrior’s Hundred Blades, I don’t want to be taking my sweat time throwing bees in his face and THEN leaping to safety. I want that safety part FIRST!

Tarnished Coast

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

Just tested this between two fixed points.

Running without buffs: 8.2 sec
w/ about face + sword 2 (no swiftness) : 7.8 sec
Swoop (greatsword, no swiftness): 6.5 sec

Running with signet of the hunt (25% swiftness): 6.6 sec
w/ about face + sword 2 (25% swiftness): 6.5 sec
Swoop (greatsword, 25% swiftness): 5.2 sec

Running with call of the wild (33% swiftness): 6.1 sec.

The weapon skill(s) took me just shy of half the total distance and I had to run the rest. So the about face / hornet sting / about face /monarch’s leap chain is faster than plain running, but it’s no faster than signet of the hunt. You might be able to shave a few tenths of a second off compared to what I managed, but screw up and you’ll be going backwards towards whatever it is you’re trying to get away from.

Swoop on the other hand is significantly faster than even a full 33% swiftness.

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: TJV.6239

TJV.6239

I have recently found a very effective way to play sword ranger. Use sword/dagger – the sword attack chain includes a leap/charge – utilise this by hitting tab after an attack chain is completed (or mostly completed). You can essentially keep 2 or 3 players crippled with this while your pet locks on one and you’ll be incredibly hard to hit so, while squishy, you will also survive by auto dodge.

Try it – I dare you!

Shalom
Tyler Joe

Explain Sword Root?

in Ranger

Posted by: zozrog.8135

zozrog.8135

I really hope they don’t change this just because people are complaining. The lock in and stickiness of the auto attack are what make this my favorite weapon, it is easy to work around when you get used to it.