Feb 26. Pet and Thief Tracking

in Ranger

Posted by: International.7980

International.7980

I was in WvW last night and fought a ranger and two other thieves. It was too much for me to handle so I SF and retreated. I broke LOS from the ranger and thieves and was a good distance from them. Then out of no kittening where, this kittening wolve was on my kitten with the owner no where to be seen….wtf.

I lol’d. Here’s a link to the original topic on the thief forum: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Pet-chasing-me-to-the-end-of-the-world/first#post1544564

Glad to see pets doing something useful now against those thieves.

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Wow this is a huge buff to rangers lol. Not that we needed it against thieves

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

I’ll have to test this to see if it is true.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: Arekai.5698

Arekai.5698

Will get removed anyway because thieves have developer protection, unlike Rangers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

It’s a lie.

Firstly, what kind of awful thief can’t beat a RANGER?

Secondly, I went to WvWvW and tried with three different sets of pets. With some backup from my warrior buddy, I got my pets to attack him, he stealthed. They then stood there for a solid six seconds and then ran back to my side. The thief then re-materialized about a hundred meters later, completely unharmed and unbothered, or a similar scenario.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Ranger

Posted by: firebreathz.7692

firebreathz.7692

It’s a lie.

Firstly, what kind of awful thief can’t beat a RANGER?

Secondly, I went to WvWvW and tried with three different sets of pets. With some backup from my warrior buddy, I got my pets to attack him, he stealthed. They then stood there for a solid six seconds and then ran back to my side. The thief then re-materialized about a hundred meters later, completely unharmed and unbothered, or a similar scenario.

With some backup from my warrior buddy, I got my pets to attack him, he stealthed.

can warriors stealth now of did i miss that?

it’s not that they attack while the enemy is stealthed.. it’s that they keep aggro and go to reattack after they come out of stealth without the need for the ranger to tell him to do so every time…

in Ranger

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

I watched my fern hound track and hit a thief at 1500 range last night. It was pretty cool because there were a half dozen allies around me that had no idea where the thief was, but I watched my good puppy dog run in a straight line down a slight ridge, out of sight, and then saw white numbers pop up. It may not work all the time, but it works part of the time, at least.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arekai.5698

Arekai.5698

Meaning it’s as reliable as lick wounds… only working sometimes and all.

in Ranger

Posted by: firebreathz.7692

firebreathz.7692

I watched my fern hound track and hit a thief at 1500 range last night. It was pretty cool because there were a half dozen allies around me that had no idea where the thief was, but I watched my good puppy dog run in a straight line down a slight ridge, out of sight, and then saw white numbers pop up. It may not work all the time, but it works part of the time, at least.

thats culling… not stealth..

in Ranger

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

All this really does is make it easier for the good thieves to have a C&D target close at hand if they are trying to run and no other mob is around.

in Ranger

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

It was most likely both. We fought the thief. My pet kept picking him up without me having to retarget him. When he realized he was in a fight he couldn’t win, he stealthed, fled, came out of stealth (but was culled) while still in aggro range of the pet, so the pet charged after him.

Some of the thieves are qqing about it:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Pet-chasing-me-to-the-end-of-the-world/first#post1548241

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

It was most likely both. We fought the thief. My pet kept picking him up without me having to retarget him. When he realized he was in a fight he couldn’t win, he stealthed, fled, came out of stealth (but was culled) while still in aggro range of the pet, so the pet charged after him.

Some of the thieves are qqing about it:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Pet-chasing-me-to-the-end-of-the-world/first#post1548241

I played my Thief, and not once did I experience this from Rangers.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Posted by: Linkisdead.9647

Linkisdead.9647

It certainly feels different. I was fighting this thief around a bunch of PvE stuff, my wolf was tracking him right when he left stealth. I’ll play more tonight and see if its just my imagination, but thieves were helpless against me 1v1.

What I noticed even more was the difference against mesmers. After he blinked my pet never lost the track, it took me split seconds to pick him out again. Was it always like this? It might again just be my imagination but it felt like mesmers were much easier to retarget.

Sig
[sYn] Borlis Pass

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

If the ranger highlights and attacks a new target after the thief stealths, the pet will now have that as its primary target.

After the new primary target dies, the pet may resume chasing the previous target. This behavior hasn’t been consistent enough for me to draw any conclusions about it. Sometimes it doesn’t work, sometimes it survives even F3, and I have to call the pet back after each kill. Swapping pets always clears it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arpheus.6918

Arpheus.6918

I was able to test the new behaviour of our pets during quite some fights and in my opinion the changes are really decent. Finally the rangers pet brings us a real advantage. The pet keeps track of thieves and mesmers to find them once they leave stealth.

I had the following situations:
Mesmer turns invisible + blink or whatever that ability is called. My pet attacks some illusion but as soon as he left stealth the pet immediately follows the real mesmer. I love it. No more guessing which is the real one. Our pet knows which is the real one as if he would smell it.
I really hope this won’t be changed any more because thats finally something that makes playing a ranger worth it.

Same with thieves. Once they leave stealth the pet follows them. That way you usually know in which direction the thief tried to escape

There is one thing that is important. Once the mesmer or thief goes into hide don’t give any commands to your pet. Just let it do whatever it wants. If you tell him to attack another target it will lose track, same if you switch pet. But if you let the pet do what it wants it will find the unstealthed character for you
I really start to like pets

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

If the ranger highlights and attacks a new target after the thief stealths, the pet will now have that as its primary target.

After the new primary target dies, the pet may resume chasing the previous target. This behavior hasn’t been consistent enough for me to draw any conclusions about it. Sometimes it doesn’t work, sometimes it survives even F3, and I have to call the pet back after each kill. Swapping pets always clears it.

It seems like the pet goes after anything that attacks it, regardless of what the Ranger does. I’d imagine Thieves who’ve put a condition that is still ticking on the pet, causing it to reagro once the Thief comes visible.

I still havn’t seen a Ranger pet to after my Thief, so it has to have something to do with whether or not the Thief has done damage to it, and a lingering condition still exists when they break stealth.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

I was able to test the new behaviour of our pets during quite some fights and in my opinion the changes are really decent. Finally the rangers pet brings us a real advantage. The pet keeps track of thieves and mesmers to find them once they leave stealth.

I had the following situations:
Mesmer turns invisible + blink or whatever that ability is called. My pet attacks some illusion but as soon as he left stealth the pet immediately follows the real mesmer. I love it. No more guessing which is the real one. Our pet knows which is the real one as if he would smell it.
I really hope this won’t be changed any more because thats finally something that makes playing a ranger worth it.

Same with thieves. Once they leave stealth the pet follows them. That way you usually know in which direction the thief tried to escape

There is one thing that is important. Once the mesmer or thief goes into hide don’t give any commands to your pet. Just let it do whatever it wants. If you tell him to attack another target it will lose track, same if you switch pet. But if you let the pet do what it wants it will find the unstealthed character for you
I really start to like pets

Mesmers have some MAJOR bugs right now, but as a Thief, I’m not seeing the same things you are.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Posted by: Arpheus.6918

Arpheus.6918

It might be possible that the rangers reacted wrong by switching pets or calling it back. When I see a thief I tell the pet to attack the thief (F1) when possible, not only counterattack. But I’m not sure if F1 is even needed.
I guess you would have to test this in a test environment with a friend from another server. During fights it’s really hard to find out how it is exactly working. But for me if the thief stays close the pet will chase him once stealth is over.
Also the pet follows thieves who run away for quite a distance. I had some situations where a thief tried to run away and I would not have found him but the pet knew where to find him.
What I can recommend to you is try it while playing the ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

he must be an incredibly bad thief

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

he must be an incredibly bad thief

Found this thread and since you’re talking about me, no where did I say the ranger killed me. I was just speaking to the new tracking after stealth.

But hey, since we’re on the topic of good/bad player, how about a duel vs your ranger? 250g whoever wins.