Feedback on the ranger sword

in Ranger

Posted by: FriendlyInvader.3126

FriendlyInvader.3126

I’m aware of the past dev comments regarding the issue, but its been some time, and I was hoping to see if any dev can comment on how they feel about it[I know they barely communicate here but its worth a shot].

My feedback:

Honestly, its design is very restricting. Mainly[correct me if I’m wrong], the sword was designed to stick to a target. Though in sPvP, I barely use its auto-attack in a team fight situation, because if you’re caught at the wrong time, it can spell your demise[even more so the higher your MMR is]. Most people that I’ve seen using the sword in sPvP use it to evade and kite the enemy, more so than actually sticking to the target.

In addition to this, we also lose the ability to cleave properly, move around our opponents constantly, and most importantly, attacking at max melee range. Given that, I feel that the sword isn’t even being mostly used on the premise of its design.

If you still don’t want to rework the sword, what are the odds of you buffing the greatsword to match the sword DPS, giving us an alternative to the sword? Or do we perhaps have to wait for a new elite spec for a new main hand power weapon?

Thanks! Remember, this is just my opinion and observation after 1k+ hours on ranger. I’ve managed to get a really good hang of the sword, but I still feel like the design isn’t that great [more harm than benefit, and a lot more harm than benefit in PvE].

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Personally, as awkward as sword is, it’s like most things on Ranger: close to hitting the mark but falls short. It would be fine if they removed the leap range from 1b and 1c, upped the targets 1b can hit from 1 to 3, lower cripple duration of 1b from 2s to 1-1½s, and add ¾-1s of Super Speed to 1c so people can still pursue targets without getting locked.

The distance with super speed falls about 30 units (range) behind the current 430 while in combat, but without the “stick.” It would be like a compromise for both sides (I guess). No stick, allows dodge in the auto chain, keeps the unique animations without changing it to the standard ones, full cleave on the chain, and retains a decent measure of catching up to targets.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

this was a long time ago. but wasn’t the sword aa3 a leap finisher at one point? if so i get the feeling that over time they just started taking out some of the utility behind the weapon. either way I love ranger sword. I just wish they had more stuff that worked with it. off hand axe is sooo weak, torch is best option, dagger is okay for the extra evasion but the cripple is about useless.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

This is a somewhat flippant criticism, but might as well throw it into the mix:
The 2nd strike of the auto-attack (kick) looks absolutely terrible on male norn. It’s this weird drop-kick that you then fly off the floor from in order to do the 3rd swing, which just looks completely disconnected and janky. On top of that the whole thing just happens too quickly. It’s like they couldn’t fit the kick animation into the intended time-frame for the attack, so they just sped it up until it fit.

That aside, something really does need to be done about sword’s AA. It’s all fine and good that its original, but the skill being functional is much more important.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

ANet said like 2 years ago that instead of reworking sword auto they’ll work on a dagger mainhand (which was meant to work like rev sword #1).

Whoever was working on it probably got laid off unfortunately.

in Ranger

Posted by: coax.2951

coax.2951

It’s the only power based, viable mainhand weapon ranger has and I absolutely despise its functionality.
Sure, sometimes it works in your favor, but if I could, I’d change it in a heartbeat. It’s broken, the majority of the ranger players don’t like it and complained about it since more than 2 years, but since anet likes the “concept” of the weapon, it won’t change.

Functionality > Concept

Get rid of the kitten autoattack or at least give us another power based mainhand weapon. But hey, none of the devs care, so don’t expect any change, ever.

Sukkla
Probably still playing ranger.

(edited by coax.2951)

in Ranger

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

lolz the ranger sword is not power based. its a condi weapon

in Ranger

Posted by: coax.2951

coax.2951

lolz the ranger sword is not power based. its a condi weapon

It’s used in condi builds for evades/utility, it’s not a condition based weapon at all.

Sukkla
Probably still playing ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: FriendlyInvader.3126

FriendlyInvader.3126

It’s the only power based, viable mainhand weapon ranger has and I absolutely despise its functionality.
Sure, sometimes it works in your favor, but if I could, I’d change it in a heartbeat. It’s broken, the majority of the ranger players don’t like it and complained about it since more than 2 years, but since anet likes the “concept” of the weapon, it won’t change.

Functionality > Concept

Get rid of the kitten autoattack or at least give us another power based mainhand weapon. But hey, none of the devs care, so don’t expect any change, ever.

I agree completely. I stayed [mostly] silent, expecting it to be changed by now, but honestly, no one has an idea what the devs are doing since they do not communicate with us.

Also, for whoever actually likes the sword, please give your reasoning.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

The 2nd strike of the auto-attack (kick) looks absolutely terrible on male norn.

No, it’s hilarious! You guys look like KungkittenPanda when you do it, and I laugh too hard when I see it to ever want it to change.

As for the sword AA, for a while I liked it for a hit and fade playstyle to burn quickness in melee and evade when someone gets in my face. The dagger offhand has a pretty substantial cripple and an evade, which help for that.

Normally I began a retreat by untargetting after two sword hits and sailing away through the air, then you 180, use sword 2, use dagger 5, untarget, and use sword 2 again to sail off in a direction they don’t expect so you can buy time to get back to ranged and plug them a few times while they’re limping after you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

ANet said like 2 years ago that instead of reworking sword auto they’ll work on a dagger mainhand (which was meant to work like rev sword #1).

Whoever was working on it probably got laid off unfortunately.

#RememberHrouda

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.