For the love of deity, do something (WvW)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The ranger has no aoe outside barrage. My ranger is completely useless even using full spirits — my pet has to sit besides me on the majority of 30+ zerg encounters. I don’t have any cleave as a condi spec.

Couldn’t you at least give Ricochet 1-2 stacks of bleed so My ranger has something to do in teamfights? I’ve got Bonfire and barrage with Sharpened Edges. That’s it.

The rest of the time, I’m throwing single target condi application projectiles that are bodyblocked in the zerg.

It’s such a kitten chore to play a Ranger in WvW compared to my ele or a proper melee class that can cleave melee effectively because 1/3 of my damage isn’t dead the moment we clash.

No, increasing pet HP by 250% will do nothing. The amount of damage a zerg puts out will kill a pet in no time even if it had 50k HP. The pet needs what allows people to operate in a zerg — AVOIDANCE AND BLOCKING/IMMUNITY. And not some 60 sec cd immunity.

WvW is all about melee cleaving and aoe. The Ranger has so little of it.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

Posted by: Reisinger.4203

Reisinger.4203

After playing a few hours of ranger in WvW I must conclude…

Arrow carts > rangers

I haven’t roamed/seen roaming rangers before, but AFAIK ranger AoE is soft. I’ll play my shout-healing warrior for kills, loot, and AoE DPS. Yes, my healing SUPPORT warrior (that’s how bad rangers are in WvW atm).

GW2 PvP League Season 3 Tribute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKVJ1krPmU

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Ranger zerg combat is basically go piercing arrows or go home. We can do a decent job of mop up and killing people who break from the group but most anyone can kill a guy with 50% or less HP so not much of a plus.

The great sword with it’s auto dodge can give you some good survivability in a zerg but if you get over 60-70 people in a single area the skill lag will make it all but impossible to actually complete the cycle on a target and you’ll die pretty kitten quick. Meanwhile, your pet has been dead since about 1 second into the fight.

I’m pretty sure no serious tier 1 guild even brings rangers anymore. (I still use mine occasionally because it’s the best class for how I play but I’ve been pretty much forced to make a Guardian by this point.)

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

BM/spirit ranger is alright for roaming but roaming is not a guild activity, and it sure as hell isn’t as profitable/geared for progression compared to zerg fights.

I mean, if the class’s only good use is a roaming spec and spvp bunker condi spec, who the hell is gonna play it?

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

BM/spirit ranger is alright for roaming but roaming is not a guild activity, and it sure as hell isn’t as profitable/geared for progression compared to zerg fights.

I mean, if the class’s only good use is a roaming spec and spvp bunker condi spec, who the hell is gonna play it?

uhm, the people that find zergs boring?

no really, it seems you all think T1 WvW is where it matters…. in T1 or T2, all that matters is MANPOWER. The bigger blob wins. get down to into T4 hell, try T5-6-7-8 and you’ll see that roaming is what pays off. Not because roaming is all you can do, you got lots of zerging there. but its not impossible to make it on your own.

Also, there are a few builds viable for rangers, and they can bring seriously good support for allies. The thing is, that nobody seems to bother doing any experimenting outside “BM Bunker” and “Trapper”. Because people seem to think there is only 3 builds. BM, Trapper and GC.

Well, think again.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

no really, it seems you all think T1 WvW is where it matters…. in T1 or T2, all that matters is MANPOWER. The bigger blob wins. get down to into T4 hell, try T5-6-7-8 and you’ll see that roaming is what pays off. Not because roaming is all you can do, you got lots of zerging there. but its not impossible to make it on your own.

Also, there are a few builds viable for rangers, and they can bring seriously good support for allies. The thing is, that nobody seems to bother doing any experimenting outside “BM Bunker” and “Trapper”. Because people seem to think there is only 3 builds. BM, Trapper and GC.

Well, think again.

I just typed out I run a spirit build for groups, or are you blind.

I don’t care what lower tiers use. I care that for the purpose of wxp and 20+ man guild fights the class is dead on arrival useless compared to any of the other classes I can use, thief included.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tadayoshi.2815

Tadayoshi.2815

I agree we do need at least something our Team and we can build around. The best thing I came up with is:
1.) Piercing arrows → Longbow or Short-bow (I change them up how I like)
2.) Double axe → Healing Spring → Whirling defense so you at least heal your blob a bit
Often a friend is setting up a fire combo field before we get income and I whirling defense into it. But that’s it. I would have a role besides dealing damage.
3.) Signet of Renewal
But the thing again like with all our Ranger skills, that’s just mediocre and there are classes who can do specific tasks 100 times better than we do.

in Ranger

Posted by: Miiro.3124

Miiro.3124

the class doesnt really matter that much when all you have to do is just tag bodies as you run passed them. balancing shouldnt be based on your zerg ball experience.

[SAV] Miiro 80 Ranger
Jade Quarry Champion Hunter
Solo/Small man WvW

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Some really need to use their imagination and think outside the box a bit. Why do we expect Ranger to excel in every aspect of the game ?

-20v20
-small man havoc
-solo/duo
-zerg blobs

Yes, the Ranger can do well in all those scenarios. They can contribute to help win the fight. Which is kind of the point ? Depending on build, the contribution can be wildly different. Maybe they don’t get as much WvW xp ? lol I don’t know and don’t really care if true or not….because quite frankly WvW xp means less than nothing.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

the class doesnt really matter that much when all you have to do is just tag bodies as you run passed them. balancing shouldnt be based on your zerg ball experience.

Idiotic statement of the day. Now GvG is “zerg ball experience”.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Actually, tier doesn’t matter as a rank 20 server you might end up against a rank 1 server (hello borked rating system!), thus this problem exists in every single tier and rank. Arenanet supports and keeps on adding features for zergballing with wubwub patches so there isn’t really any point of thinking outside of the box when the 80 man blob rolls over your poor little ranger.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

Actually, tier doesn’t matter as a rank 20 server you might end up against a rank 1 server (hello borked rating system!), thus this problem exists in every single tier and rank. Arenanet supports and keeps on adding features for zergballing with wubwub patches so there isn’t really any point of thinking outside of the box when the 80 man blob rolls over your poor little ranger.

I can’t recall the last time an 80 man blob has rolled my ranger. Pretty easy to avoid. Recently I have been shadowing the zerg on my solo Ranger waiting for opportunities to cull the herd by picking off stragglers.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

I can’t recall the last time an 80 man blob has rolled my ranger. Pretty easy to avoid. Recently I have been shadowing the zerg on my solo Ranger waiting for opportunities to cull the herd by picking off stragglers.

Yeah, I hear that has quite the impact on the zerg lol

Worst case scenario 3 people from that zerg immediately get the guy back up.

Some people actually run on guilds that run 15-30 people GvG groups and take on zergs. And it’s undeniable that compared to the other classes the ranger just doesn’t stack up.

You need the AoE, and the only thing you’ve got is barrage, on a 25 sec cd. The rest of the time you’re doing single target damage or useless piercing if you take the trait.

in Ranger

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

But he’s right.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

But he’s right.

Feel free to bring your guild to any guild nights hosted in EU servers and try to tell me with a straight face that class comp doesn’t matter.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Well, think again.

I can tell you for a fact that it is not always the bigger blob. More often than not it comes down to composition and tactics unless the ratio is 2:1 or above.

A team of 40 GC’s will get curb stomped by a team of 25 ptv/knight’s people who know how to maneuver and stack.

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

Yeah, I hear that has quite the impact on the zerg lol

Worst case scenario 3 people from that zerg immediately get the guy back up.

Some people actually run on guilds that run 15-30 people GvG groups and take on zergs. And it’s undeniable that compared to the other classes the ranger just doesn’t stack up.

You need the AoE, and the only thing you’ve got is barrage, on a 25 sec cd. The rest of the time you’re doing single target damage or useless piercing if you take the trait.

Me thinks you like complaining for the sake of complaining. Your mind is pretty much closed to what many are telling you.

A GvG fight is completely different than a guild group roaming to take on larger numbers. Maybe figure out what you are arguing for first. A ranger is weak in GvG ? …Guild vs zerg ? …or tagging for bags and WXP ?

A hard core 15 man gank group ? Likely a Ranger isn’t the best option…but, there are many 15 man groups that roam and try and take out larger numbers that do have Rangers….and do very well. A well played Ranger > some fotm desired class played by a scrub.

Killing the tail of a zerg not helpful ? Some would suggest a true GvG fight of equal numbers doesn’t have a lot of impact on the overall fight either.

Fun ? Probably. …and isn’t that kind of the point…to have fun ? Although I guess complaining 24/7 is fun for some people.

/shrug

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

And while you’re attempting to “cull the herd” they are auto attacking down tower doors and earning points for their server.

And chances are you aren’t “shadowing” them. They know you’re back there and they just don’t care because you aren’t doing enough to make them stop, turn around and roll over you.

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

5 of the last 6 weeks all I have seen is the outnumbered buff on my screen. So I have two choices. I can either log, or do what I can to try and have some fun….and you’re right, most of the time they are auto attacking doors PvE style….and man, that sounds like a lot of fun+ they are getting points for their realm !

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

That is why the best option you have is to run greatsword, melee cleave, and take advantage of pets dying with beastmaster’s bond. Run something like this:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-F;5FVu-g2ZDV-0;9-8j;1TEO;056A3;039;5c-k0W;16TsW6TsWh-kZ0-u2O;1VNVSWXXb2h3n4230CV4L0;9;9;9;9;9;9;04-6x

You have good survivability and damage, and you can run in the frontline of zeros.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

That is why the best option you have is to run greatsword, melee cleave, and take advantage of pets dying with beastmaster’s bond. Run something like this:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-F;5FVu-g2ZDV-0;9-8j;1TEO;056A3;039;5c-k0W;16TsW6TsWh-kZ0-u2O;1VNVSWXXb2h3n4230CV4L0;9;9;9;9;9;9;04-6x

You have good survivability and damage, and you can run in the frontline of zeros.

That’s actually a build I’m going to test. Pity there’s no cavalier gear for me to take as only scepter ever dropped from me doing 48 fractal daily for a while.

in Ranger

Posted by: armorcrafter.5934

armorcrafter.5934

While I admit running a roaming ranger on one of the top 6 servers is a challenge because of their coverage it can still be rewarding. And yes running in the zerg ball and hitting 1 gets you more Wxp than roaming but you talk about helping your server.

First get off the main roads and explore. There are lots of places to hide as the zergs pass, there are lots of places to overlook camps, towers, routes to scout or to insure your safety when going after a camp.

Check out some of the other off builds. Lots of potential. Find some ranger buddies. A ranger group can pump out some nice DPS and flip camps quick. Those help your server in points, denial of supply. Slap yaks. Clear guards and siege ahead of your zerg. Lots of things to do.

ANET has definetly made it challenging for us but it is what it is.

Work with what we have. Sure that kitten thief may pop you from time to time but remind yourself that YOU roam completely visible with no “now you see me now you don’t” escape. Who’s playing with his fly open now??

When you waltz up behind that roaming warrior or necro who thinks he’s gonna get a camp easy and failed to look around and you pop him for some serious hurt he will be BS kittening about how we are OP. At least we’ll be able to sit back and enjoy a good laugh

The unwise man is awake all night; Worries over and again; When morning rises; He is restless still
His burden as before.

in Ranger

Spiuk.8421

But he’s right.

Feel free to bring your guild to any guild nights hosted in EU servers and try to tell me with a straight face that class comp doesn’t matter.

Still a zerg ball experience.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tadayoshi.2815

Tadayoshi.2815

But he’s right.

Than you never did an actual GvG or you are just bad and don’t see the tactics behind such an event…

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

5 of the last 6 weeks all I have seen is the outnumbered buff on my screen. So I have two choices. I can either log, or do what I can to try and have some fun….and you’re right, most of the time they are auto attacking doors PvE style….and man, that sounds like a lot of fun+ they are getting points for their realm !

It is, and the extra hp and node harvests aren’t bad either.

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

While I admit running a roaming ranger on one of the top 6 servers is a challenge because of their coverage it can still be rewarding. And yes running in the zerg ball and hitting 1 gets you more Wxp than roaming but you talk about helping your server.

First get off the main roads and explore. There are lots of places to hide as the zergs pass, there are lots of places to overlook camps, towers, routes to scout or to insure your safety when going after a camp.

Check out some of the other off builds. Lots of potential. Find some ranger buddies. A ranger group can pump out some nice DPS and flip camps quick. Those help your server in points, denial of supply. Slap yaks. Clear guards and siege ahead of your zerg. Lots of things to do.

ANET has definetly made it challenging for us but it is what it is.

Work with what we have. Sure that kitten thief may pop you from time to time but remind yourself that YOU roam completely visible with no “now you see me now you don’t” escape. Who’s playing with his fly open now??

When you waltz up behind that roaming warrior or necro who thinks he’s gonna get a camp easy and failed to look around and you pop him for some serious hurt he will be BS kittening about how we are OP. At least we’ll be able to sit back and enjoy a good laugh

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

…and while I am still in this LB/GS zerker phase I want to do more as you suggested. Duo Zerker Rangers as it says in my sig. I really really want to one shot insta kill someone with another Ranger Then the omg nerf Rangers cry will be heard loud and clear !

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

That’s actually a build I’m going to test. Pity there’s no cavalier gear for me to take as only scepter ever dropped from me doing 48 fractal daily for a while.

Yeah I got stupid lucky on my gs, but I still don’t have the sword and axe. I suggest you could use Knight’s at the cost of a little crit damage, or atm I’m planning on using Celestial weapons for the cost of a little toughness in exchange for the precision and crit damage.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Well, think again.

I can tell you for a fact that it is not always the bigger blob. More often than not it comes down to composition and tactics unless the ratio is 2:1 or above.

A team of 40 GC’s will get curb stomped by a team of 25 ptv/knight’s people who know how to maneuver and stack.

ofcourse, but now we are discussion tactics over manpower. Which is an entirely different situation.

Ive run in 20 man guild zergs, and stomped a 80 man zerg, cuz we had a good commander with a keen eye and coordination. Ive also been in the exact opposite situation. Tactics matters just as much as manpower, and the composition are not neccessarily crucial, although it is a major factor.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

Rangers are definitely not the best in wvw, i still use mine mostly but there is rly not much i bring to a fight, no AoE. Only thing i bring is spotter lol

I play my guardian sometimes and wow so much loot bags and i do so much more, in just a few minutes i earned many items, badges that take me hours to get on my ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fenrir.6183

Fenrir.6183

The ranger has no aoe outside barrage. My ranger is completely useless even using full spirits — my pet has to sit besides me on the majority of 30+ zerg encounters. I don’t have any cleave as a condi spec.

Traps.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Ranger AoE:
Greatsword
Barrage
Longbow and Shortbow with Piercing Arrows trait
Ricochet, Splitblade, Path of Scars, Whirling Defense
Bonfire
Flame Trap, Spike Trap, Viper’s Nest (Trapper’s Expertise trait helps a lot)
Entangle
Poison Cloud (Murellow)
Poisonous Cloud (Carrion Devourer)
Frost Breath (Ice Drake)
Insect Swarm (Marsh Drake)
Sonic Shriek (Reef Drake)
Lightning Breath (River Drake)
Fire Breath (Salamander Drake)
Poison Gas (all Spiders)

Could be worse..

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Lunchbox.9543

Lunchbox.9543

Forgot the Jellyfish with their Chilling / Immobilizing Whirls and Dark Water. But not like underwater combat is a major part of the game.

“I’m doing good in the game, so I’m doing good in life!”
Charlie

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Traps.

LOL

yeah, those traps are so useful in zerg fights, with the big damage they do!

Ranger AoE:
Greatsword
Barrage
Bonfire
Entangle
Poison Cloud (Murellow)
Frost Breath (Ice Drake)
Poison Gas (all Spiders)

Could be worse..

You just gave a list of AoE skills without considering their cooldown, maneuverability (pets do aoe whenever the hell they want), let alone whether they actually are good.

I mean, seriously, Ricochet?

Obviously you haven’t played an ele, necro, grenade engineer, let alone a guardian or warrior to be calling that list AoE.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

Spiuk.8421

But he’s right.

Than you never did an actual GvG or you are just bad and don’t see the tactics behind such an event…

Again, zerg ball experience.

A zerg trying to move around null fields, blasting on water fields or faking veils is still a zerg.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Stop feeding the troll.

in Ranger

Miiro.3124

One of us doesnt know how to read, but im pretty sure i read the OP talking about zerging and trying to cleave as much as possible and his pet dying in a zerg. so yeah. uhm.

[SAV] Miiro 80 Ranger
Solo/Small man WvW

(edited by Miiro.3124)

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

One of us doesnt know how to read, but im pretty sure i read the OP talking about zerging and trying to cleave as much as possible and his pet dying in a zerg. so yeah. uhm.

Both happen in WvW, so there’s no point in talking about GvG without talking about zerging.

in Ranger

Miiro.3124

Group vs Group in my mind means 5v5

Groups vs Groups in my mind means ZvZ

[SAV] Miiro 80 Ranger
Solo/Small man WvW

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Group vs Group in my mind means 5v5

Groups vs Groups in my mind means ZvZ

Guild vs. Guild.

in Ranger

Miiro.3124

that also equals zerg vs zerg to me if its over 5v5

[SAV] Miiro 80 Ranger
Solo/Small man WvW

in Ranger

Posted by: Erro.2784

Erro.2784

Ranger still has its uses in GvG tbh. I often play as a the support killer along with a thief. As long as the support is under pressure they cannot put down fields, which means that the main group goes down quicker.

Having said that, in open wvw I always play either my guardian or ele: so much more group support and damage. Ranger really has nothing to offer that another class cannot do better, whether its group play or guild play.

[VII] – Aurora Glade
VII youtube channel
Erro youtube channel

in Ranger

Posted by: Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

It is true that a Ranger is never going to get anything like the loot bags a necro, ele warrior or guardian is going to pick up in ZvZ encounters. But my Guild actively encourages our Rangers. Our Rangers provide the team (15 to 20 Guild Raid most nights) with Entangle, Water fields and outer edge harassment.

The strength of the Ranger for a Guild party is clearly as a member of a Havoc group: flipping camps, killing sentries, distracting the oppo zergs by trolling keeps and towers. If, as a Ranger, you feel unloved in WvW, then clearly, you belong to the wrong Guild.

Blood
(I have to know! In WvW, do Legendary NPCs drop Legendary loot?)

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

OK champion hunter. Go back to babysitting a point and spamming evasion over it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Velkyn.5168

Velkyn.5168

Haven’t been to the ranger forums for a while and just saw this… I posted my spirits build in Prysin’s thread and can’t say anything bad about it. I play WvW with my guild mostly, big zerg fights are fine as long as I can hug a stability-guardian (preferrably commander). Same goes for roaming/smaller scale skirmishing.
I’m full of AoE, CC- and healing-wise. It’s somewhat similar to what a shouts guardian does, but with different mechanics and effects. Some damage support, lots of CC (more than your average guardian), lots of heals. No stability, but an awesome water field. Versatile with the option to swap out pets if you need to adapt to a different situation.. scout or chase down a single target, etc.
So maybe if you look at the utilities close up, there is probably a class/build for each that does a better job in the same department. But those will have shortcomings in other areas, where the ranger might hold up better. It’s the whole package and combination of things that counts, not just your boon output or raw damage.

Maybe try out a couple more builds and gear combinations until you find something that works for you and your group?

(edited by Velkyn.5168)

in Ranger

Spiuk.8421

OK champion hunter. Go back to babysitting a point and spamming evasion over it.

Why u mad tho?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

My big problem is the limited pet range. If my pet is going to die by a light breeze at least let me send it out front so it might waste some special abilities of people.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Traps.

LOL

yeah, those traps are so useful in zerg fights, with the big damage they do!

Ranger AoE:
Greatsword
Barrage
Bonfire
Entangle
Poison Cloud (Murellow)
Frost Breath (Ice Drake)
Poison Gas (all Spiders)

Could be worse..

You just gave a list of AoE skills without considering their cooldown, maneuverability (pets do aoe whenever the hell they want), let alone whether they actually are good.

I mean, seriously, Ricochet?

Obviously you haven’t played an ele, necro, grenade engineer, let alone a guardian or warrior to be calling that list AoE.

I play longbow-greatsword, using Entangle as my only other AoE option, and I constantly have to backtrack to gather loot bags. Muddy Terrain > Entangle > Barrage is a very powerful move, alone. Add Lightning Breath from the River Drake on top, and you can easily down foes in around five seconds. Add Flame Trap on top, and the damage just gets ridiculous.

Ricochet is a great skill. You can easily get bleeding from Sharpening Stone, Sigil of Earth, or Keen Edge.

Why does that matter? The Ranger plays as it does, regardless of what other professions can do. Deal with it however you can, or move on.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

My big problem is the limited pet range. If my pet is going to die by a light breeze at least let me send it out front so it might waste some special abilities of people.

It used to be fun to be able to enjoy blowing up necro marks by sending a pet through a choke before my allies and I charged in.