GS better then Sword once traits change?

in Ranger

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

Looking at this build: http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgUB2AJkBWg~

I feel like GS can be more than good once the trait lines change. Being able to regain opening strike with increased damage on, signet use, pet swap, weapon swap, and random GS attacks due to the various traits taken is huge.

Also the constant double Mauls from quick draw with the consistent zephyr’s speed buff from swapping pets seems more then enough to make GS a potential frontrunner for PvE while still providing spotter and frost spirit to the group.

Am I crazy? Any critiques?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

It’s going to have better burst for sure.
… Higher DPS? I doubt it. Sword’s going to gain another 10% boost increase at a place of quick draw.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Probably not double Maul that will be a potential front-runner in PvE. It might be Quickdraw + BM spec for using Path of Scars twice with a 5 second cd on each swap, running Sword and double off-hand Axes with Zephyr’s Speed. All just theory though.

http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgUB5AJkBXg~

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Sword has higher sustained DPS. I haven’t seen anything that is going to change that.
Greatsword has higher burst DPS. I haven’t seen anything that is going to change that either.

Sword can benefit from those same damage increases (Fury, Quickness, Might, etc.). It won’t benefit as much from burst, but it’s sustain is darn good.

Also, those weapon swaps … so you’re swapping out of Greatsword at some time? or are you planning on running two Greatswords?

I think Greatsword will be better, but I don’t think it’ll match the sustained DPS of Sword.

That being said, I haven’t crunched the numbers yet and we don’t know what the Ranger will ultimately look like with the upcoming Druid, Staff, Trap Changes, Spirit Changes, Pet Changes, and Specialization System changes. That’s a large number of variables.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Quick draw is going to get nerfed to hell and back once the update hits. The amount of people complaining about double mauls and “omg the 998933938 damage from double RF is 2 gud!” will not go unnoticed by anet.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

I dunno … maybe ArenaNet will tell those people to l2p :-p … one can hope

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

lol double mauls 20% off cooldown = 4.8secs – 66% = 2.2secs per maul only after weapon swap still limited to weapon swaps every 9secs > swap > maul > wait 9secs > maul off cooldown without swapping weapons xd people dont do math do they?.

i’d rather use quickdraw on hilt bash and have it ready nearly every weapon swap.
25secs-20% = 20secs base + -66% cooldown after first use speeds up the cooldown to 12-13secs waiting 9 secs for weapon swap leaving a 4sec window to postion hilt bash then repeat. ether way Rf or maul will always be off cooldown after a weapon swap anyway.

in Ranger

Posted by: coax.2951

coax.2951

Quick draw is going to get nerfed to hell and back once the update hits. The amount of people complaining about double mauls and “omg the 998933938 damage from double RF is 2 gud!” will not go unnoticed by anet.

No doubt the new quickdraw is a really really good trait, but it’s exactly what the new grandmaster traits should be: They change the way you play, and that’s what Anet wants.
Being able to quickly adapt to different situations is a real gamechanger. Yes, double Rapidfire sounds cool and will probably make the same kind of people cry, but lets be honest here, there are way more and better uses for -66% recharge.

Get caught out of position? Switch to greatsword, Swoop away, 4 seconds later you get another Swoop. Will also make for a super easy and effective repostition/retreat combo with GS3->4->3. Really need a block right now? Use GS4, 5 seconds later it’s off cooldown again. What about Point Blank Shot with a 5 second cooldown? Neat. 10 second cooldown barrage. Also great.

If people complain about double Mauls, that’s really a l2p issue. Maul has a super obvious tell and is so easy to dodge, if you get hit by it, that’s your problem.

Another thing to consider: If you open the fight with longbow, you will not get the -66% recharge on RF, since the trait only works in combat. So if you’re just sitting away from the fight pew pewing people, you will not get to use that “OP RF, anet fix pls” combo anyway, unless you go full kitten and run double longbows.

Sukkla
Probably still playing ranger.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

If people complain about double Mauls, that’s really a l2p issue. Maul has a super obvious tell and is so easy to dodge, if you get hit by it, that’s your problem.

While I agree to a sense, it’s funny that this is a commonly held idea when everyone also loves to sing the praises of the Ranger’s ability to spam immob and other CC.

in Ranger

sevenDEADLY.5281

Another thing to consider: If you open the fight with longbow, you will not get the -66% recharge on RF, since the trait only works in combat. So if you’re just sitting away from the fight pew pewing people, you will not get to use that “OP RF, anet fix pls” combo anyway, unless you go full kitten and run double longbows.

Double longbow rangers. New Meta.

in Ranger

Posted by: coax.2951

coax.2951

Double longbow rangers. New Meta.

Ranger specialization has been leaked: Superior Arrow Cart

Sukkla
Probably still playing ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Klonko.8341

Klonko.8341

Perma stealth ranger with double longbow too haha. 9 sec on hunter shot with 66% reduced cd means ~3 sec before the nest use. And the stealth last 3 sec! And then you have 6 sec out of 9 in stealth. 3 other sec to put out a rapid fire and swap again!

Raining Rainbows lvl 80 ranger ~~~~~ SBI server

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I am very excited about -66% on PoS and Counteratttack more than Maul and RF tbh, but truely, double Bonfire/Hunter’s call with Sharpened Edges is going to own.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Maul isn’t going to be any easier to connect.

Getting it to connect twice is just never going to happen…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

sevenDEADLY.5281

I clearly stated this was about PvE, in which case maul is the easiest thing on earth to land.

in Ranger

Sube Dai.8496

Then it will still be way below sword/axe

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I clearly stated this was about PvE, in which case maul is the easiest thing on earth to land.

I dunno, it depends on the situation really, if you were farming or open worlding GS would be far superior. S/A is king for dungeons though.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I dunno, it depends on the situation really, if you were farming or open worlding GS would be far superior. S/A is king for dungeons though.

Isn’t that an issue of mobility / utility?
Sword + Axe still beats those even in the open.

If we are talking about AoE (3+targets) than sword has never been the answer. Not now, not then, not ever.

in Ranger

Sube Dai.8496

Yeh the only difference is 5 targets vs 3, same as it is now.

But there aren’t many open world instances where you need that 5-man maul.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

5 target dual maul will kill 5 mobs in what? 4s? For farming, not mobility, as I mentioned. For mobility, you could still have sword on swap.

in Ranger

sevenDEADLY.5281

Isn’t that an issue of mobility / utility?
Sword + Axe still beats those even in the open.

I gotta be honest, having used both I have to say I prefer the utility on GS far more. For one swoop is far easier to use and less likely to backfire then having turn around dive backwards to properly use the mobility on sword. Even once you’re completely use to it I often find it a hassle and occasionally some small lag causes my character to stand there just facing backwards even though I hit the button to evade backwards. And the on demand stun and block into knockback again is more of a right now sure thing than hoping path of scars return hit actually lands on a moving target, especially when you need that interrupt right now.

Between the two CCs from GS 5 and the knockback on 4 and the block on 4 I’ve survived many things that the 3/4s evade on sword wouldn’t have saved me from.

in Ranger

sevenDEADLY.5281

Plus I think people are underestimating the amount of +25% damage, guaranteed crit, vuln stacking abilities remorselessness will be able to put out with all the ways to gain fury with that setup. Being able to rotate through and get the extra damage on almost every maul and every hilt smash + the random auto attacks from GS trait is a decent bump in overall damage, let alone burst.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

I don’t think people are underestimating the new Remorseless, it’s more like the potential it provides are underwhelming in a group setting in PVE.

in Ranger

Sube Dai.8496

I don’t think people are underestimating the new Remorseless, it’s more like the potential it provides are underwhelming in a group setting in PVE.

Yeh the things letting down GS in pve are aa damage and animation time. Neither of those appear to be changing yet.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I was actually thinking…
Rangers are now becoming the new meta PvE class.
For Perma 25 Vulnerability stacks via Remorseless and RaO in addition to Frost Spotter. I don’t think I’m needing predator’s onslaught anytime soon.

I don’t even need a Greatsword for that. I’ll get my 10% through Strider’s Defense. And I was thinking that with Warhorn and pet swap trait the 2 blast finishers will fit just nice.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

I was actually thinking…
For Perma 25 Vulnerability stacks via Remorseless and RaO in addition to Frost Spotter. I don’t think I’m needing predator’s onslaught anytime soon.

I don’t even need a Greatsword for that. I’ll get my 10% through Strider’s Defense. And I was thinking that with Warhorn and pet swap trait the 2 blast finishers will fit just nice.

A potential 47.5% damage buff to 1h sword when flanking, with full endurance, and frost spirit will be very nice indeed.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Yeh the things letting down GS in pve are aa damage and animation time. Neither of those appear to be changing yet.

I can’t see AA DPS being increased by much, the weapon has plenty of burst potential and other powerful utility. The animations definitely need time reduction though.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Would rather keep PO in groups that can maintain high vulnerability stacks, otherwise, it’s a waste. Remorseless will probably be decent for PUGs.

in Ranger

Sube Dai.8496

I was actually thinking…

A potential 47.5% damage buff to 1h sword when flanking, with full endurance, and frost spirit will be very nice indeed.

I count 50%:

Steady Focus: 10%
Predators Onslaught: 10%
Hunter’s Tactics: 10%
Strider’s Defense: 10%
Peak Strength: 10%

Then Spotter and Frost Spirit

So thats 20% more damage that sword will have over GS, along with higher damage and faster attack speed.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

It will all depend. Until everything is finalized, taking Wilderness Survival or Beastmastery as the third spec seems acceptable.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I was actually thinking…

I count 50%:

So thats 20% more damage that sword will have over GS, along with higher damage and faster attack speed.

I’d say he didn’t count Predator’s Onslaught. I mentioned that I won’t be using it since remorseless can maintain 25 vuln alone. That would match his calculations.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

I think Substance was not counting Peak Strength, since taking Beastmastery would be the more offensive spec compared to Wilderness Survival.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

I was actually thinking…

I count 50%:

I’d say he didn’t count Predator’s Onslaught. I mentioned that I won’t be using it since remorseless can maintain 25 vuln alone. That would match his calculations.

I calculated for a 6/6/0/0/6 build to take advantage of companion’s might and pet’s prowess.

(edited by Substance E.4852)

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I was actually thinking…

I count 50%:

I calculated for a 6/6/0/0/6 build to take advantage of companion’s might and pet’s prowess.

Makes sense now.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

The extra might and quickness on pet swap will be a nice bonus also.

At any rate, I think we can all agree that the changes will certainly make GS a more than viable alternative when sword glue becomes a hindrance which certainly might be the case in the HoT content.

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Quickness on pet swap is so nice … I loved when it was so easy to get as a Ranger … used to be a minor :-(

• It’s extra damage.
  • It’s a faster rez of an ally
  • It’s a faster spike of a downed foe
  • It’s a faster activation of a mechanic
  • It’s a faster activation of any other skill that didn’t fall into the “extra damage”
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

None of you are seeing the whole picture, only half.

While your double Maul is on cooldown, you will have another weaponset that can also take advantage of quick draw. Now for wvw or PVE i think for a lot of people this will be Longbow for rapid fire. Double RF will be pretty good in PVE but there will be something better.

PvE the pros will choose sword axe and use the quickdraw to get 2 Axe 4 skills out.

The best rotation will be something like the below. it will take full advantage of all the cleave possible

Axe 4>sword 1 until CD is at 10-9 seconds>Maul>GS1>Gs1>Maul>GS1>GS1>swoop??>GS1>axe 4 (5 sec CD)>S1>S1>S1>S1>S1>Axe 4>sword 1 until CD is at 10-9>repeat and go to mauls.

You’ll want to stay in GS as little as possible for the maul burst and delay your swapping out of sword axe so your axe 4 is ready when you swap back as it has higher sustained DPS

The jury is still out on if Pred onslaught and steady focus will be better than remorseless and sig mastery

(edited by rpfohr.7048)

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Predator’s Onslaught and Steady Focus appears to be the better option than taking Beastmaster’s Might and Remorseless. The jury is mostly out between Quick Draw and Strider’s Defense.

At the moment (theoretically), seems Sword-Axe / GS with THIS trait setup seems to be worthwhile. Rotation would probably end up being what you listed, Rpfohr, but with Crippling Throw (to proc PO) and Swoop between the double Maul, and a 3rd Maul before leaving GS.

Will also toss in purposely swapping Pets for Zephyr’s Speed only when swapping back on Sword-Axe to take advantage of the auto attack speed. All is just theory, though. Only thing that makes me happy is that Rangers could get a better, more interesting (fun) rotation than using LB and camping Sword-Axe.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I actually believe that Rangers might end up playing even S/A and sword+warhorn. I mean… You know that we can get 5 blasts now in combat with this, do you?

Drake > Swap blast > Drake > 2 warhorn blasts

And it would also open perma swiftness+fury for dungeon runs. I can see myself doing that.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

I’m not certain on that. I still believe Elementalist will remain as the go-to source for Fury. Pet swap with Beastmaster’s Bond will fill in the small gaps and extend Fury in those instances. Having Warhorn on the second set seems like it would hinder our DPS, personally and group-wide.

Since we would no longer take GS as the alternative set, the other 2 Master tier traits in Beastmastery are Wilting Strike and Natural Healing – both defensive. We would also lose out on personal burst and vulnerability for overall group damage from 3 Mauls on GS when opting for a Warhorn instead.

I really can’t see Rangers taking Warhorn into dungeon combat now solely due to Beastmaster’s Bond, only use for Warhorn would be pre-fight. Pre-fight setup would probably be Bonfire > Swap to Warhorn > Warhorn 5 > Warhorn 4 > Swap out to GS during Hunter’s Call and before it connects, then do the rotation as stated above.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Had the same doubts on that… But I’ll try it out anyways. I might consider GS + S/W. I’ll see what works the best in the end.
By the way, Hunter’s Call connects way too fast in order to swap after using #4. Probably the blast will have to do.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

You get used to weapon swapping from the inventory menu during Hunter’s Call after awhile. I usually do that pre-fight setup when get to play Ranger in my group, except I swap in LB instead of GS.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

While your double Maul is on cooldown, you will have another weaponset that can also take advantage of quick draw. Now for wvw or PVE i think for a lot of people this will be Longbow for rapid fire. Double RF will be pretty good in PVE but there will be something better.

PvE the pros will choose sword axe and use the quickdraw to get 2 Axe 4 skills out.

I’d say none is a touch inaccurate…

I am very excited about -66% on PoS and Counteratttack more than Maul and RF tbh, but truely, double Bonfire/Hunter’s call with Sharpened Edges is going to own.

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that I will now be able to run my favorite build AND have 6 in beastmastery at the same time! My river drake (buttercup) is drooling balls of lightning…

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

I’d say none is a touch inaccurate…

Your right, none is a bit assertive and elite. I should have said most. There are people who see it but I just havent seen posts about it that take advantage of both weapons for the trait.

If your going to run S/W why would you bother, that trait doesn’t help this weapon set at all so you are not taking full advantage of it. I would just run straight up sword and take damage modifier traits and stay in sword mode.

I am all about taking full advantage of traits and build choices.

Here is one Id run S/A GS on. it takes really good advantage of the weapon swapping and I love that because it is active play.
http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgUB6AJkBWg~

But is weapon swapping and burst on GS and axe 4 going to be better than the flat 20% + damage I would be loosing by making this build choice and just staying with sword?
http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgUB5AJsBVg~
Or
http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgUB5AJsA_g~
Or
http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgUB5AJsBqg~
(whatever druid might give??)

(edited by rpfohr.7048)

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I’m looking forward to running this with GS/Staff + druid traits when it finally hits. HaO as heal, SoTW and rest druid skills.

See the part where I mention Path of Scars and Counterattack in the same sentence?

The utility provided by GS is better (imo) than the pure damage output from the sword, but I’m talking from a WvW/PvP perspective. S/A-GS will be an amazing build with Quick Draw.

But also like I mention, Bonfire/Hunters Call with Sharpened Edges will also be absurdly good with QD. Combined with Mad King runes and Entangle, you better hope they don’t have retaliation, because that combination will (theoretically) hit almost 100 times if you throw in a few auto attacks and split blades.

A/T-S/W, Geo/Doom sigils and QD.

Lay Flame Trap & Vipers Nest, get in combat, swap to Axe/Torch, Bonfire twice, Splitblade, Throw Torch, Entangle, Marsh Drake F2, Splitblade, swap to S/W, Hunters Call twice.

89 strikes, 27 seconds of burning, 13 stacks of poison, total possible bleeds is 103.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

Well if this is in a dungeon what’s stopping you from sword/axe+ greatsword for double path of scars and double mauls every swap?