Game updates for Ranger, 28 July

in Ranger

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

Found here https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-July-28-2015

- Pets: Increased the power, precision, toughness, and vitality of pets by up to 150 at level 80.
- Crippling Talon: Increased the range to 1200.
- Throw Torch: Increased the range to 1200.
- Bonfire: Increased the radius to 240.
- Hunter’s Call: Increased the range to 1200.
- Call of the Wild: Increased the radius to 750.
- Whirling Defense: Increased the reflection radius to 150.
- Path of Scars: Increased the base range to 1200.
- Nature’s Vengeance: Fixed an issue that caused spirit effects to list a 70% chance on hit when using this trait.
- Light on Your Feet: Fixed an issue in which this trait granted 3 seconds of the effect instead of 4 seconds.
- “We Heal as One!”: Fixed an issue that prevented this skill from displaying the bonuses from the Resounding Timbre trait (the bonuses were still being properly applied).
- “Strength of the Pack!”: Fixed an issue that prevented this skill from displaying the bonuses from the Resounding Timbre trait (the bonuses were still being properly applied).
- Natural Healing: Fixed an issue that prevented this trait from affecting pets as frequently as it should have.
- Go for the Eyes: Fixed an issue that prevented this trait from activating while in a downed state.
- Wilting Strike: Fixed an issue that prevented this trait from activating while in a downed state.
- Beastly Warden: Fixed an issue that prevented this trait from activating while in a downed state.

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xolas.9781

Xolas.9781

Holy dang. They gave off-hand range/radius increase back to axe and dagger. Happy tears.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Yeah, we won a battle!

Attachments:

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

Started reading and felt excited. Kept reading and got hit by the face by disappointment, when I realized they had left Stalker’s Strike out of the range increases. Rest was meh bugfixes.

Got to say though no nerfs and needed fixes so I’m overall happy about the patch.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Ranger

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

I’m really glad they fixed some of our bugs, but now I just wonder how many new ones they have introduced with this patch. Also, a lot of important ones are still not addressed such as healing spring not healing our pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Healing Spring still doesn’t heal our pets.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Good changes, they were needed dearly, but more still needs to be done. Why Mantra of Distraction deserved a 33% CD reduction from 30s to 20s while spirits are still 30s blows me away, though.

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee, Thanx A.net. Hope for HS fixes next update.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nachyochez.9758

Nachyochez.9758

Good changes, they were needed dearly, but more still needs to be done. Why Mantra of Distraction deserved a 33% CD reduction from 30s to 20s while spirits are still 30s blows me away, though.

To be fair, since the big update Mantras have had practically no CD due to them recharging after cast, not use. The CD reduction is still a nerf over what it’s been for the past month.

All in all, a great update for Ranger. Lots of the ‘little things’ that have been asked for given, and nothing taken away. A few more bugs needing fixed still, a few things needing improved (looking at you spirits), but all in all we’re in a better place today than we were yesterday, and as a class being murdered by little things this patch is in the right direction.

Skif F Galco (War) | Bas Flaith (Thf) | Rawr Doomshot (Rng) | Cheshire Glamourclaw (Mes)

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Lets see if Natural healing works as it used to and if pets get extra critical chance from precision or not.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

while spirits are still 30s blows me away, though.

Spirits are still 20s, mate. Anet apparently heard our uproar when they announced it was going to be 30s and backed off lol.

in Ranger

Posted by: blitzkrieg.2451

blitzkrieg.2451

HEaling spring still unfixed which is game breaking for rangers , baffles my mind how this was left out and starting to think now they actually intended it because of how the tooltip states heals you , your pet and allies – this could simply mean the regeneration portion of the skill. I hope not and I think the tooltip has always been like this, but just weird they would exclude this from the fixes.

Stalker’s strike – i was sad to see they didn’t add this to the range, it was one of the cool things i liked, it was sort of like a mini gap closer but maybe they didn’t include it for that reason. Who knows.

Spirits still crap, but of course, a rehaul on spirits would take alot of time so whatever.

The other stuff is good, the pet stats are working now which is good , not sure how much 150 vitality helps against burn spam but then again, any little bit helps.

Tanbin – Ranger / Thief / Ele
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: singinggecko.5736

singinggecko.5736

Yay for some bug fixes!

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

The bug fixes and the omitted changes that are given to us by this patch actually buff us substantially.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Spirits are still 20s, mate. Anet apparently heard our uproar when they announced it was going to be 30s and backed off lol.

The best part is in the patch notes it still said that it was increased to 30s, but in game it says 20s, and Anet themselves have said they went back on that.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Eirh.1439

Eirh.1439

The longbow interrupt bug was fixed. For me it’s definitely in the top patches ever.

Semper Concordia [SC]
Abaddons Mouth

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

This was a very good patch for rangers. We got some nice buffs, and there were some meaningful shaves to other classes. How many classes are better in pvp now?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zyst.3514

Zyst.3514

Seeing this kinda update gives me hope that throwable traps might become a thing again also.

Ranger main, no matter what nerf bat they hit us with!
SF guild on Jade Quarry.
Fav pet; Reef Drake

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

Seeing this kinda update gives me hope that throwable traps might become a thing again also.

They will not. Get used to “setting” traps for people.

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

HEaling spring still unfixed which is game breaking for rangers , baffles my mind how this was left out and starting to think now they actually intended it because of how the tooltip states heals you , your pet and allies – this could simply mean the regeneration portion of the skill. I hope not and I think the tooltip has always been like this, but just weird they would exclude this from the fixes.

Stalker’s strike – i was sad to see they didn’t add this to the range, it was one of the cool things i liked, it was sort of like a mini gap closer but maybe they didn’t include it for that reason. Who knows.

Not game breaking, but certainly a very annoying bug that should have been fixed by now. I’m impressed with everything else.

Fix Healing Spring so that pet’s get that initial heal and I’ll be a happy camper. Bonus points if they relook at Stalker’s Strike.

I kinda get why they didn’t give the range back on it if for nothing else that it looked awkward with increased range.

The animation didn’t match what your character was actually doing. You kinda magically slid the increased range on the old trait.

I did like the range increase mind you, very much, but it was weird looking. If they fixed the animation and gave back the range from pre-patch, that would be fantastic.

But such a thing isn’t exactly game changing. The shorter range in fact encourages you to use it more defensively, which is how you should be using Stalker’s Strike.

I won’t lose sleep over it should they leave it alone. But it would be a nice touch if they fixed it though.

But please fix Healing Spring for pets. That issue is much more significant.

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

I still think it’s funny that we can throw a dagger, torch, or axe further than we can shoot a shortbow.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

I still think it’s funny that we can throw a dagger, torch, or axe further than we can shoot a shortbow.

i hope they get around to it LBs 1500yard base now so SB should go back to 1200yards too.

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

When SB 1200 ranger ever on the table? The distance for off had skills is a fix, they used to have it while traited and now the trait doesnt exist, it was supposed to become base, same as LB 1500 range. Its not the case with SB.

in Ranger

Posted by: KaporHabakuk.6219

KaporHabakuk.6219

Definately nice changes,and am happy they implemented it quite fast.

Now,any1 noticed that HS aint working if u moving?Like i have to drop it,than go back or stand still to triger the trap.Is it a bug,or working as intended?

OTAN guild,WSR server

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

When SB 1200 ranger ever on the table? The distance for off had skills is a fix, they used to have it while traited and now the trait doesnt exist, it was supposed to become base, same as LB 1500 range. Its not the case with SB.

People are just refering to how they nerfed shortbow from 1200 range to make it more distinct to longbow back in the day.

Which, as you say, isn’t really relevant at all to any of the recent changes. IMO there are other ways to improve it anyways.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

Definately nice changes,and am happy they implemented it quite fast.

Now,any1 noticed that HS aint working if u moving?Like i have to drop it,than go back or stand still to triger the trap.Is it a bug,or working as intended?

If you’re walking outside the trigger radius, then yes, it’s intended. You’re supposed to be able to put it down and then walk back into it whenever needed.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

People are just refering to how they nerfed shortbow from 1200 range to make it more distinct to longbow back in the day.

Which, as you say, isn’t really relevant at all. There are other ways to improve it.

Ya, the nerf was like 100 years ago , I dont even feel it needs the 1200 range and I use SB as my main weapon(not sure what it needs, kinda like it as it is).

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Which, as you say, isn’t really relevant at all. There are other ways to improve it.

Ya, the nerf was like 100 years ago , I dont even feel it needs the 1200 range and I use SB as my main weapon(not sure what it needs, kinda like it as it is).

I don’t use SB as my main weapon, but I do like it as is for the most part, but there is SOMETHING missing from the weapon, but I just can’t figure out what it is…

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I don’t use SB as my main weapon, but I do like it as is for the most part, but there is SOMETHING missing from the weapon, but I just can’t figure out what it is…

It’s that the SB is completely autoattack oriented. Forget the fact that pressing the cooldown skills doesn’t or didn’t increase the damage output of the shortbow in any way (this was prepatch, post patch the 5 stacks of poison might have a slight DPS increase, but still), but they don’t even do anything interesting lol.

It lacks potency AND functionality, whereas most of the other weaponsets in the game either have both or are only lacking in one of those categories.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

Looks like it was a pretty good patch for PVP Rangers.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The best part is in the patch notes it still said that it was increased to 30s, but in game it says 20s, and Anet themselves have said they went back on that.

Delicious! That makes a big difference to them imo.

Which, as you say, isn’t really relevant at all to any of the recent changes. IMO there are other ways to improve it anyways.

Well, getting 1200 range back would make sense, 900 is just not enough, comparitively. Even 1050 would be a good buff.
I think Poison Volley should be just one arrow that applies the 5 stacks 4s on a single target but pierce. Crippling Shot needs a much longer Cripple (9s) because a 3s Cripple on a 12s CD is not a good reason to call a skill Crippling Shot and Ranger applied torment, not pet bleeds as they are useless. CD reduction to Concussion Shot to 15s instead of 25s. Would be quite good then imo.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

in Ranger

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

Yeah, we won a battle!

I think I can spot the bearbow in the gif

in Ranger

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

WTF…Healing Springs is still broken.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Delicious! That makes a big difference to them imo.

Well, getting 1200 range back would make sense, 900 is just not enough, comparitively. Even 1050 would be a good buff.
I think Poison Volley should be just one arrow that applies the 5 stacks 4s on a single target but pierce. Crippling Shot needs a much longer Cripple (9s) because a 3s Cripple on a 12s CD is not a good reason to call a skill Crippling Shot and Ranger applied torment, not pet bleeds as they are useless. CD reduction to Concussion Shot to 15s instead of 25s. Would be quite good then imo.

Id be happy if crippling shot made it so the ranger shot an arrow that applied torment and cripple 3s, and then your pets next 3 attacks also crippled.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadow Phage.9084

Shadow Phage.9084

Id be happy if crippling shot made it so the ranger shot an arrow that applied torment and cripple 3s, and then your pets next 3 attacks also crippled.

I’m more a fan of: Cripple them. If they’re already crippled, immobilized them.

As a whole, I’d prefer if ANet just decided to make SB a direct-damage/utility weapon and moved the condi portion to MH Axe.

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

I have to disagree with it not being enough. The range is probably the last thing that kills the weapon as far as I’m concerned, and any buff to it would probably mean less significant changes the skills due to how afraid Anet is to overbuff ranger stuff.

The weapon needs overall damage buffs to the entire skill bar and changes to some of the skills functionality. The more I think of it, I’d just want a complete overhaul. The weapon in its current state isn’t just a bit on the underwhelming side, it’s just plain boring to play with. Aside from the “shotgun” Poison Volley, it’s just a flanking pew pew machine with less play to it than the longbow. I’m more annoyed with the way you use it than its actual effectiveness.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Most ranger weapons need overhauls. Outside 1h sword and greatsword, all other weapons are garbage hybrid weapons that don’t benefit fully from either condi or power gear/trait investments.

The funny part is their brilliant idea to encourage rangers to use the then awful longbow was to nerf the daylights out of shortbow, and then people used neither still until they buffed longbow lol.

But I’ve given up on them having any semblance of interest in PvE balance.

Today’s update on mesmer confirmed it. Harmonious Mantras was already an inferior Berserker’s Power with much harder upkeep that required chain casting mantra of pain to maintain, and yet they nerfed it some more for PvP reasons and made mantras irrelevant again in PvE for the sake of pvp.

So, PvE people, get on with the program. This game is balanced for their spvp/WvW hype train. It’s been 3 years since explorable dungeons came out with token systems (which are now replaced with cash shop and RNG BLTC ticket items), and ever since then not a single real branched dungeon. Only years later we got a single, buggy and unrewarding path taking up the place of another one and two short fractals.

Oh, and rangers and necromancers have remained in the same standing they’ve been in since release. Eles can still permafury, warriors can single handedly permastack 25 might for the group, but clearly Clarion Bond and Quickening Zephyr was too much. And that’s on the class that does a fraction of the damage of the top classes with far more effort required considering the kitten ed broken 1h sword we’ve been stuck with ever since Jon Peters abandoned the idea of coming up with a fix for it.

There are far better PvE MMO’s out there that actually give a kitten about their customers. Just play FFXIV/Wildstar/WoW/whatever until this current development team is forced to reconsider their neglectful design practices or when it is shuffled around/replaced.

WTB the GW1 development team and practices back. This empty shell of a sequel is so superficial and undeserving of the IP it’s based on.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

‘Natural Healing’ doesn’t seem to be fixed despite the patch notes, tried in PvP, WvW and PVE, no passive healing to the pet

in Ranger

ProtoMarcus.7649

Never mind my previous statement, I’ve been switching spec lines around and now its suddenly working, been trying to recreate the ‘bug’ but it seems to be ‘fixed’.

Only thing I did was switch around some trait lines and now it does seem to work

Reaaaally weird, did the same thing in WvW, changed some trait lines and put them back as they were and now I see the tick and the healing and it appears in the combat log (it didn’t work at ALL at the time I posted the previous post)

(edited by ProtoMarcus.7649)

in Ranger

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

Natural Healing worked after the main update, but after the hotfix (that corrected the “visual bug” responsible for the traits being reset without refunding hero points) Natural Healing no longer heals the pet… i just tested this in cursed shore. no more green float numbers. no more pet health bar going up…. /sigh

– The Baconnaire

in Ranger

ProtoMarcus.7649

please note all equipped traits, skills, gear and pet, because I had the same problem (not working) and I’m really not sure what I did and now it’s working…

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

From my experience, I had to remove then reassign Beastmastery, assign Natural Healing, then Swap Pets while in combat for Natural Healing to correct itself. Once I did that after the hotfix, Natural Healing functions correctly when I log in.

Might be an issue if your Ranger was affected by the trait bug with the initial update (as mine was).

in Ranger

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

From my experience, I had to remove then reassign Beastmastery, assign Natural Healing, then Swap Pets while in combat for Natural Healing to correct itself. Once I did that after the hotfix, Natural Healing functions correctly when I log in.

that actually worked… craziness

Might be an issue if your Ranger was affected by the trait bug with the initial update (as mine was).

yeah, i got the trait bug for the main update, so that’s very good deduction if you ask me. bacon for you today!

– The Baconnaire

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I hate to complain since we got a lot of what we needed but… Ever since the big patch I’ve found Stalker’s Strike to be almost unusable. It’s incredibly difficult to land on your targets due to how short the range is which is unfortunate because it gives quite a long duration Poison.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

I hate to complain since we got a lot of what we needed but… Ever since the big patch I’ve found Stalker’s Strike to be almost unusable. It’s incredibly difficult to land on your targets due to how short the range is which is unfortunate because it gives quite a long duration Poison.

It’s no harder to land than hilt bash, a hilt bash that makes you invulnerable during its cast time. While I’d certainly appreciate the extra distance, this isn’t like Crippling Talon where you need to pin down an opponent but they just ignore your conditions with dashes and resistance ‘til they’re at 1050 range and at 100 health. Stalker’s strike is still an amazing defensive tool and way more consistent than serpent’s strike.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

It’s no harder to land than hilt bash, a hilt bash that makes you invulnerable during its cast time. While I’d certainly appreciate the extra distance, this isn’t like Crippling Talon where you need to pin down an opponent but they just ignore your conditions with dashes and resistance ‘til they’re at 1050 range and at 100 health. Stalker’s strike is still an amazing defensive tool and way more consistent than serpent’s strike.

Good luck landing hilt bash on a target that is moving with swiftness up. Hilt Bash is not exactly the example to praise, as is the hilariously delayed Maul animation.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tavastia.6527

Tavastia.6527

Crippling Shot needs a much longer Cripple (9s) because a 3s Cripple on a 12s CD is not a good reason to call a skill Crippling Shot and Ranger applied torment, not pet bleeds as they are useless. CD reduction to Concussion Shot to 15s instead of 25s. Would be quite good then imo.

In GW1 Crippling shot was an Elite, and it applied 8 seconds of cripple on a 2 second CD. But that was back when rangers made sense…