Gameplay footage request: Pet attacking moving targets

in Ranger

Posted by: Strongfort.2451

Strongfort.2451

Can someone who has a recording setup (fraps or something) please do me a favor?

Can you please go to the Heart of the Mists, and head west to the one Golem that is running around the pillar. Then record some video showing what ranger pet’s are like attacking a moving target.

Please show melee (at least, ranged ones too if you want) vs this Golem so we can have some videos on how rarely the pet attacks the moving targets.

If you want to get fancy with it you could do a version with the 30% pet movement speed trait and compare the 2 – as it’s still pretty terrible with that trait.

Thank you in advance!

in Ranger

Posted by: Cempa.3645

Cempa.3645

We already know pets can’t really hit moving targets, they are designed that way.

in Ranger

Posted by: Veq.1206

Veq.1206

Lol, “they are designed that way” great design, guess i missed that jon peters post.

in Ranger

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

I recognise this. Some mob vs pet fights really become laughable because of this.

For example, when you target a mob and hit F2, your pet will run to the mob to do his attack. But the mob also wants to do his attack. Both pet and mob need the other to stand still to do their attack. So they keep moving to eachother, back and forth, trying to do their skill, but neither can do it because both are moving. This will literally go on forever until you either aggro the mob yourself, or run away + swap pet.

This is why I switched to pets that either (i) can open with an F2 leap (e.g. lynx, snow leopard), or (ii) which are ranged (e.g. devourers). The other pets are simply not as reliable in combat. You lose so much dps by when a pet constantly tries to attack your mob, fails, and/or performs its F2 attack to noone in particular – all because the mob moved.

In fact, I think we should write a petition to all mobs in Tyria to please stop moving. I’m sure they’ll understand.

in Ranger

Strongfort.2451

We still need someone to make some in-game footage of the scenario I talked about in the first post.

For those of you who have not tried this I recommend you go to the Mists and try it. It’s very shocking when you really see how rarely pets hit a moving target – even the ranged pets.

in Ranger

Posted by: Beecheese.4930

Beecheese.4930

Time to uninstall this game.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vexx.6987

Vexx.6987

^ SOooooo Laughable the current state of this game, after 200 games with my ranger I decided to make a shout healing warrior and look I can kill things in pvp/pve without my brain AT ALL and also giving buffs and cleaning conditions to my team.

Yesterday during a match in Spvp I killed a fellow ranger that used EVERYTHING he had (also I was standing still letting his cat pet hit me and that NEVER HAPPENS in spvp unless someone let it so) meawhile the only thing I did was use my shouts and auto atacks to kill him with rifle, this is just…./facepalm

All I I wish was to play a ranger RANGED because I love everything related to it specially BOWS not the miniature one.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lorath.2504

Lorath.2504

This is a video of a raven trying to attack the golem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk5DiFJAtWQ&feature=plcp
Im pretty sure there was a similar video with a cat… but cant find the link to that one atm.

in Ranger

Strongfort.2451

This is a video of a raven trying to attack the golem: (snip)

Oh thanks, I did not find that when looking around. The golem nowadays stops much less often than he does in that video too.

Yeah, the bird hits the most often over all other pets due to it having both swiftness and a 300 range on it’s basic attack. Birds are the most effective DPS on moving targets at the moment.

If anyone else knows of more videos of pets vs this moving golem please post them while we wait for someone to make a few videos to show the current state.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

@Strongfort actually the most effective pet against moving does are devourers and spiders because they’re ranged and as such have no issue shooting the npc, it’s only the Melee ones that have issues… And canines do pretty well too because against slow targets pets have little issue hitting, and canines have 2 leaps, 1 knocks down 1 cripples…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Strongfort.2451

@Strongfort actually the most effective pet against moving does are devourers and spiders because they’re ranged and as such have no issue shooting the npc, it’s only the Melee ones that have issues… And canines do pretty well too because against slow targets pets have little issue hitting, and canines have 2 leaps, 1 knocks down 1 cripples…

Actually the other day I tested all pet types against this Golem, and the birds seemed to get the most hits in – though I did not do any calculations, or record the numbers.

The spiders and devourers still missed many of their ranged shots, and the dogs (my personal favorite for sPvP) miss most of their leaps still. Probably the majority of the pets hit about the same amount, and it’s all way to low to be effective.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Against that golem yes they miss because its smarter then most players and will stop right before a skill goes off to throw off the leading auto targeting gives you, against actual players who don’t have the data of exactly when skills go off the canines and ranged pets are much better because for both the ranged auto attacks and the leaps they’ll lead the target up until they fire it off IE if as soon as you shoot the skill they stop of course it’ll miss, but if they keep running they’ll get nailed by it.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Vorkk.4927

Vorkk.4927

Lol, “they are designed that way” great design, guess i missed that jon peters post.

Was it next to the ‘’Pressing 1 isn’t fun’’ post? I’m looking!

(edited by Vorkk.4927)

in Ranger

Posted by: Da Poolp.6809

Da Poolp.6809

There is this video too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77D8fI2Ow4E
We can see pet, against a moving player, will never hit him….

(edited by Da Poolp.6809)

in Ranger

Strongfort.2451

There is this video too: (snip)
We can see pet, against a moving player, will never hit him….

Thanks for the link but that was done against a regular mob, not a pet. Although the AI may be similar (or exactly the same for all I know) I figured it was more definitive to use an actual ranger’s pet vs this moving Golem for a good video to show to Arenanet. Not that they don’t already know, but this needs more attention.

in Ranger

Posted by: Da Poolp.6809

Da Poolp.6809

Pets are mobs, it’s exactly the same problem.

in Ranger

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

I plan on running some tests with canines, felines, and birds next week to figure out which pets will be best for me in WvWvW.
Since you’ve asked, I’ll make some vids of it to show too.

Personally I think our dps would be kind of high if pets attacked while moving. Especially when spec’ed. They do have their downfalls though; short life expectancy, buggy pathing, slow responsiveness, vulnerable to aoe.

I’m not saying they are good as is though. Against people who evade a lot, or move a lot, they are pretty bad. Right now against bad players they are awesome, against good players they are pathetic. It needs to be made more consistant across the board.

Anyway, I’ll post a link when I make it prob sunday morning.

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand

in Ranger

Strongfort.2451

(snip) Anyway, I’ll post a link when I make it prob sunday morning.

Great, thanks! The more videos of this to show the issue the better I say!

in Ranger

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

Sometimes pets won’t even use the F2 skill, even after spamming it. It’s pretty horribad sometimes. I wish they had a little chat bubble above their heads that said “ kitten #8221; every so often; at least then it would be funny.

in Ranger

Posted by: Apophis.8561

Apophis.8561

once they drop cast time for ranger pets so they actually assist in our kills, our class is going to run the show.

in Ranger

Strongfort.2451

once they drop cast time for ranger pets so they actually assist in our kills, our class is going to run the show.

Well they keep lowering the player’s damage each patch it seems, so maybe by the time they fix the pets we’ll be right back in line with everyone else.